• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Are any of you guys doing these characters like Endrik and Katalina and sora for example because you actually want them and not because youe jumping on the bandwagon?

i feel like half of these are bandwagon picks
The only reason people are paying attention to it, is that Vergeben trusts Hitagi and if this DLC lineup is really chosen by Nintendo it sadly could make sense.

Dragon Quest is huge in Japan and has history with Nintendo I believe to in the past
Grandblue is huge in Japan and Nintendo owns 5% of their company, and maybe they want to create an exclusive switch game for her
Steve is very recognisable by kids
I believe Rayman or Crash's companies have a nice relationship with Nintendo

Elma what I gather is currently the only one that survived the onslaught if spirits deconfirm characters (what Hitagi claims), but well this DLC reeks of promotion so I feel the final slot is a Gen 8 pokemon rep, because it lines up to perfectly as an advertisment(because Gen 8 releases next year) and could be the final reveal.

And before people say Rex was to late, so a Gen 8 pokemon rep would be to, Pokemon is known to pull stunts like that, and i'm already confident Gamefreak showed Sakurai concept art this year, because thats how Incineroar and Greninja got in the first place.

This lineup rubs me the wrong way, because of how depressing and real it could be if it where a Dragon Quest rep, Katalina, Steve, Rayman/Crash and a Gen 8 mon.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So if this guy is right then the dlc roster will probably be:
- Slime
- Steve
- Katalina
- Western 3rd party. Guessing Crash because Bethsada is out.
- Probably an ad like Corrin. Likely to be a Pokemon or Sylux.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think I will be able to share my in-depth thoughts on the Smash Direct this month. This month is keeping me so busy with projects, exams, and essays. I am still motivated to write it, and I have a general idea on what I want to write, but current circumstances are locking away my time. .-.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I wont deny it is a bit disappointing that a first party character is looking less and less likely if we go by Hiitagi´s word.

The DLC is really going to be a surprise in a way. I wonder what will the general opnion be if the DLC shapes of like Hiitagi says?

KMDP

Smash Legend
What do you mean at 11? And which leaker?
He's making a news joke.

"[Vague Headline], more at 11." is a stereotypical Newscaster phrase in America (by "11" they mean the time).

That being said, what he means is Hitagi said vague stuff and people are freaking out about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, of course it flopped, then.

The tragic part is, I'm among the crowd who might have bought into PS All-Stars if it had, like, Crash, Snake and Cloud in it, but it didn't, so I didn't bother (one character (Raiden) was not enough to justify buying the game for me).
The PS all-stars team was given a really low budget. When they asked Activision for Crash and Spyro, Activision wanted way too much money. Same with Cloud and Lara Croft for Square.

D

Deleted member

The only reason people are paying attention to it, is that Vergeben trusts Hitagi and if this DLC lineup is really chosen by Nintendo it sadly could make sense.

Dragon Quest is huge in Japan and has history with Nintendo I believe to in the past
Grandblue is huge in Japan and Nintendo owns 5% of their company, and maybe they want to create an exclusive switch game for her
Steve is very recognisable by kids
I believe Rayman or Crash's companies have a nice relationship with Nintendo

Elma what I gather is currently the only one that survived the onslaught if spirits deconfirm characters (what Hitagi claims), but well this DLC reeks of promotion so I feel the final slot is a Gen 8 pokemon rep, because it lines up to perfectly as an advertisment(because Gen 8 releases next year) and could be the final reveal.

And before people say Rex was to late, so a Gen 8 pokemon rep would be to, Pokemon is known to pull stunts like that, and i'm already confident Gamefreak showed Sakurai concept art this year, because thats how Incineroar and Greninja got in the first place.

This lineup rubs me the wrong way, because of how depressing and real it could be if it where a Dragon Quest rep, Katalina, Steve, Rayman/Crash and a Gen 8 mon.
The difference between Rex & Pyra and a Gen 8 Pokemon is that it'd be a full year since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released back in December of last year and we probably will get Gen 8 in November 2019.

We know one game, but don't know jack **** about the other and won't until sometime during late Spring. And remember, all the DLC has been finalized, and with the current schedule for Pokemon being so heavily focused onto Let's Go! and other methods, and especially with the only Pokemon we've had for DLC be a previous Gen that's a MASSIVE fan-favorite being Mewtwo, I don't think we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So if this guy is right then the dlc roster will probably be:
- Slime
- Steve
- Katalina
- Western 3rd party. Guessing Crash because Bethsada is out.
- Probably an ad like Corrin. Likely to be a Pokemon or Sylux.
Satisfying To Everyone

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Also, I am seeing this recent discussion of Erdrick getting bandwagon support, what is causing it? I already can guess why people are jumping on Katalina, but I am guessing with Vergeben Square character rumors, possibilities like Erdrick have been slowly growing with people I am guessing, right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wont deny it is a bit disappointing that a first party character is looking less and less likely if we go by Hiitagi´s word.

The DLC is really going to be a surprise in a way. I wonder what will the general opnion be if the DLC shapes of like Hiitagi says?
Really bad. It'll be Corrin/Piranha Plant all over again: People will act like they are forced to purchase the DLC and add-on characters erases the pre-existing content in the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Are any of you guys doing these characters like Endrik and Katalina and sora for example because you actually want them and not because youe jumping on the bandwagon?

i feel like half of these are bandwagon picks
That's because they are.

Can't blame them for jumping on board with Verge's predictions after his perfect track record with this game, but I don't like it when the foundation of our predictions are based on what a leaker says. People who would've scoffed at Katalina three months ago are now rationalizing why she makes the most sense for a DLC character, all because one person said she'd get in.

I don't know which characters will get in Smash, but so far we've been told Sora, Steve, Lloyd, and Katalina, all of which come from completely different leakers with different sources. Could be wrong, but I doubt all four of these guys are getting in. Nintendo has to pay for these characters you know.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Huh. If it's true, is that mean we'll get two seasons?

I'm not sure if I'd call them trustful (didn't they said PP was in a car?) but I'll keep it in mind.
It's not him who said that the plant will be in a car it was a person on 4chan.
IamShifty said that piranha plant is walking

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I know you are probably being sarcastic, but even that doesn’t sound satisfying to me. I wonder what makes the leaker think this is satisfying?
again, vague enough statement to not actually commit to anything

there is a high likelihood that he's bull****ting everyone right now for attention

D

Deleted member

Really bad. It'll be Corrin/Piranha Plant all over again: People will act like they are forced to purchase the DLC and add-on characters erases the pre-existing content in the game.
The thing that saves Piranha Plant, though, is that he's at least free for two months. Corrin was just straight up another Fire Emblem character nobody here in America or Europe knew or cared about.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really question what you guys consider satisfying to everyone lol
It's why I hate when people only look at all of the obvious/easy picks for DLC, and act like about everybody wants it. I've seen it too much here, overall.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even though in more recent years, each mainline game seems to go out of its way to give "Zelda" a unique personality separate from the other incarnations, she's still largely the same character in every context. And while it isn't true for every appearance, often there's an in-universe explanation for the different Zeldas and Links suggesting they're either descendants with a blessed bloodline or even literal reincarnations, so there's usually at least a tangible connection between them all.

Impa, however, doesn't have that, and she differs from game to game far more noticeably, varying wildly in design, personality and prominence within the story. This is more like Cid, who is always connected to airships and machinery, but otherwise is always a clearly different character.

And as an aside, it's always been interesting to me that Impaz, from Twilight Princess, isn't usually counted as one of Impa's appearances, just for having a Z in her name, even though she has just as much in common as the rest of them do. In my opinion it shows how tenuous the connection between the different characters really is.
Yes and no. No and yes.

Impa has 2 distinct roles in the Zelda franchise.

One is as Zelda's personal bodyguard, which is the role she started out with in Ocarina of Time. And later also took on that role in Skyward Sword, albeit for different reasons altogheter. Both these Impa variations are fastly different, but they share a common goal; protect the Princess and guide her towards her destinied goal.

Which is also what Old Impa does really. She's mostly a nurse maid to Zelda, incapable of being a personal body guard due to her age and lack of strenght, but important to her still especially for her wisdom. This wisdom is still seen in variations of younger Impa, as OOT Impa trained Zelda to be Sheik and was the Sage of Shadow, and in Skyward Sword, Impa grows from a fierce, independent and impantient warrior to a wisemind in her older incarnation as the Old Woman. And in whatever role she's in, she was always been the Sheikah leader, or one of the few survivors of them.

If you compare this to a princess who's also been a Sheikah male cosplayer, a pirate leader, a spirit guide pocessing a overly large armoured knight, a mere student in the Knight's Academy and Link's childhood friend, then there isn't all that much inconsistently. Aside from the design choices yes. And obviously age and combat-viability. But one new appearance could change that around if they want the character to fully establish itself as a Zelda-mainstay. Which is why there's still a chance she can be picked as one of the DLC characters if Nintendo is already making plans for a BotW-prequel featuring a Young Impa.

I really doubt the Sheikah-theme is going away from Zelda if the lore of BotW is build upon from, something they also did with Ocarina of Time and it's lore expanding towards Wind Waker and Twilight Princess most noticably (also Skyward Sword but to a lesser exctint because it's the beginning of the Zelda lore). There's a lot of backstory which BotW hardly addressed like the Sheikah vs Yiga rivalry, the beginning of the dominance of the Sheikah race, the true origin of the Calamity and how Ganon(dorf) found this power, the Yiga swearing alliance to Ganon, the King of Hyrule forcing the Sheikah to exile? All major plotholes that can be picked up from, and since Impa is STILL the leader of the Sheikah in Breath of the Wild, that would mean she's the leader in the past as well, and since she also reincarnates all the time, she would be the same Impa even in a past further than a direct BotW-prequel.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think a gen 8 Pokemon is likely. At the start of every generation Gamefreak and TPC always pick one Pokemon to make really popular and Smash is a quick way to do that. Also Pokemon does not have the same problem as FE, it is the biggest media franchise in the world, way way bigger than FE could ever hope to be and all Pokemon are different in shape and sizes instead of being all similar looking anime people so they look and feel way more new and unique.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, I am seeing this recent discussion of Erdrick getting bandwagon support, what is causing it? I already can guess why people are jumping on Katalina, but I am guessing with Vergeben Square character rumors, possibilities like Erdrick have been slowly growing with people I am guessing, right?
Basically, while we still don’t know who the Square character is, recent stuff like Nintendo having more of a hand in the DLC and some things Hitagi has said have implied that the Square character is a Dragon Quest character, so some people are thinking Erdrick/Slime is likely.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's just like with Emily's similar statement; it's his opinion based upon people he's seen. So no, not really satisfying to everyone, but there should be a good amount of people happy with it enough to sell.

Or at least, that's his point.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, I don't think such a think exists.

On a "Character Satisfaction" level at least.
incorrect. and also ubisoft is way more in bed with nintendo than activision is
It's a thing I actually asked this thread a while ago: the general consensus is that Crash is better (and significantly more popular) than Rayman.

The fact that Rayman has released games more consistently doesn't change that (because Crash's series didn't fade away because of lack of popularity, but general series mismanagement).

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Well, I don't think such a think exists.

On a "Character Satisfaction" level at least.

It's a thing I actually asked this thread a while ago: the general consensus is that Crash is better (and significantly more popular) than Rayman.

The fact that Rayman has released games more consistently doesn't change that (because Crash's series didn't fade away because of lack of popularity, but general series mismanagement).
doesn't really change that ubisoft got to make a mario game

D

Deleted member

This is probably beating a dead horse, but the characters in the grinch leak probably would have been satisfying to the majority of the community(at least the hardcore community).

D

Deleted member

It's just like with Emily's similar statement; it's his opinion based upon people he's seen. So no, not really satisfying to everyone, but there should be a good amount of people happy with it enough to sell.

Or at least, that's his point.
A good amount of people would also be happy if Steve, Katalina and a Dragon Quest rep were free for two months at that point, if that's what we're getting lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom