• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Simple, just say sorry for interrupting.
This is a public forum where people can see everyone's conversation and quote/reply to anybody they want. I didn't "interrupt" anything.

Since the talk has gone to Kamek, I'd like to mention that we probably won't get him as a playable character because he's a stage hazard:

And since he's directly responsible for the transformations, you can't just Alfonzo him out. It's a shame, too; I think Kamek would actually make for a great playable character. I know that people weren't directly talking about him in the context of being playable, and I'm sure a lot of users in this thread probably already know this fact, but for those who didn't whose minds may have drifted towards playable Kamek, I figured I'd point this out.
I mean, Kamek was the longest of longshots anyway... unless they went the :ultpiranha: route.

osby

Smash Obsessed
> thinks fans will be satisfied with the DLC characters, even though people like him and Verge don't know most the DLC
That part was stupid no matter how much they know, Smash fanbase is never satisfied with anything.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wario Land 1 is also a Super Mario Land game, so it's basically where Mario passes the baton to Wario for the portable platformers. Which is almost too bad, because even though the Wario Land titles are great and hugely underappreciated, I would have loved to see what that dev team could do with a "true" Super Mario Land 3.
It's kind of interesting that some of the enemies in Wario Land (Pirate Goom, Pouncer and the Spiked Pirate boss) were pretty much knock-off Mario enemies. Of course, by the time of Wario Land 2, only Wario and the Pirate Gooms remained of WL's Mario roots, and even the Pirate Gooms had vanished by Wario Land 3.

After Wario Land 4, Wario decided platforming was for chumps and instead decided to get into the Micro-Game business (yes, I know Wario World and Shake It! are things).

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think Yoshi falls in the middle of the spin off spectrum.

On the far left you have mainline Mario, on the right you have the series that have branched off quite a bit like DK and Wario, and in the middle you have Yoshi.
Yoshi games are certainly unique from Mario games in many ways, but there's still a lot of Mario in it. Hell, the first game is all about Mario.
The DK series has nothing to do with Mario, the Wario series barely mentions Mario anymore, but several of Yoshi's games are centered around Mario.
Now recent Yoshi games have branched out more from their Mario roots, and i'm not saying it shouldn't be classified as it's own series in Smash, I just think the fact that it heavily borrows from Mario places it in the middle of the spin off spectrum.

I don't hate Yoshi don't hurt me Zinith

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since the talk has gone to Kamek, I'd like to mention that we probably won't get him as a playable character because he's a stage hazard:

And since he's directly responsible for the transformations, you can't just Alfonzo him out. It's a shame, too; I think Kamek would actually make for a great playable character. I know that people weren't directly talking about him in the context of being playable, and I'm sure a lot of users in this thread probably already know this fact, but for those who didn't whose minds may have drifted towards playable Kamek, I figured I'd point this out.
Which is too bad. Since they could just have had a general Magikoopa in there instead.

Also, the issue is he has no major differences design-wise from a Magikioopa. If he did, they could just switch it out just fine and make him playable.

Also, they made an error among the trophies that he's from the first Super Mario World. He's not. He first existed in Yoshi's Island and has zero SMW appearances. It's of course due to his name being Kamek in Japan as well, so it's an easy translation error, really.

NineS

Smash Lord
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739

For those interested, that Katalina leaker went in more details and claims Steve is DLC for sure
It depends for me what Vergeben will say regarding this, its only matter of time Gamefaqs will "beetlejuice" summon him in a topic xD
Still hoping for someone to ask either Hitagi or Vergeben on anything on 2B, or NieR in general. Just so one of them can deconfirm her, or say no comment on the matter.
I'd ask one of them myself, but I -
1. Have no GameFAQs or Reddit account.
2. I'm a nervous wreck and I don't want to bother them. Hey, they may be leakers, but they're still human. Plus, they're probably being spammed with questions.
3. I don't want to come off as more delusional than I already do.
I know, I know. Probably nothing on 2B from either of those two. A can dream.. Or hallucinate...? If there's even the slightest chance of 2B being in from either of those two, I'll take it. More-so from Vergeben than Hitagi. I've got nothing to lose.

StormC

Smash Hero
Which is too bad. Since they could just have had a general Magikoopa in there instead.

Also, they made an error among the trophies that he's from the first Super Mario World. He's not. He first existed in Yoshi's Island has zero SMW appearances. It's of course due to his name being Kamek in Japan as well, so it's an easy translation error, really.
I don't think the NSMB Kamek is "the" Kamek. In fact, I don't think there's even a "the" Kamek in Japan. But I'm not Japanese, so I can't say for sure.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Robin's Final Smash should be a much bigger deal than it is. It essentially broke one of the most longstanding, logical and applicable fan rules to deconfirm characters, which is if a character is in a non-playable role, it will not become playable in that game.

The Two Chroms say hi! :ultchrom::ultchrom:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Robin's Final Smash should be a much bigger deal than it is. It essentially broke one of the most longstanding, logical and applicable fan rules to deconfirm characters, which is if a character is in a non-playable role, it will not become playable in that game.

Don't recent FE games has a canon hand-wave to explain this stuff?

D

Deleted member

That part was stupid no matter how much they know, Smash fanbase are never satisfied with anything.
This is where the biggest red flag is.

No leaker can affirm that "people will be satisfied" unless we're talking about Grinch Leak-levels of satisfaction to where we'll get Rex & Pyra, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie and two other characters that might spark a lot of interest. And IIRC, he said that there isn't much for Banjo? I doubt what he says about that, as well.

He MUST know that Banjo-Kazooie not only has global appeal, has been one of the most requested characters during Smash 4's DLC cycle and most fan polls we've seen during Smash Ultimate's development and has, to an extent, been a character people have been wanting for 17 years. And we don't even need speculation on that part, Sakurai literally put the results of the Melee Ballot out there on the internet. So why up to this point where, let's all be honest here - there are not many characters left to choose - not choose them when they were an integral part of Nintendo and platformer history?

If you ask me, I'm sensing a lot of red flags popping up.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Really, the Chrom situation is probably more than anything, a result of Chrom being added late (his model doesn't look especially great) and a lack of compelling reason to redesign and reprogram Robin's Final Smash.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

He appears on the screen for a few moments as a Final Smash that is very different to an Assist Trophy or a Stage Hazard.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I dunno, I think this is an exception.
Robin and Chrom are often placed together as canon best bros for life, so the pair up Final Smash still fits.
It's also just a still image as opposed to a fully rendered stage hazard or AT.
I could be wrong of course, that's just what I think.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think Yoshi falls in the middle of the spin off spectrum.

On the far left you have mainline Mario, on the right you have the series that have branched off quite a bit like DK and Wario, and in the middle you have Yoshi.
Yoshi games are certainly unique from Mario games in many ways, but there's still a lot of Mario in it. Hell, the first game is all about Mario.
The DK series has nothing to do with Mario, the Wario series barely mentions Mario anymore, but several of Yoshi's games are centered around Mario.
Now recent Yoshi games have branched out more from their Mario roots, and i'm not saying it shouldn't be classified as it's own series in Smash, I just think the fact that it heavily borrows from Mario places it in the middle of the spin off spectrum.

I don't hate Yoshi don't hurt me Zinith
I never said that there's nothing in common Yoshi has with Mario, just that it's enough to justify the separation and to advocate for new Yoshi content without the double standard

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It's almost like it's a pointless fan-rule anyway. It's best to think those in an NPC role don't have good chances. It's not an official rule, after all, that they can't become playable.

I don't think the NSMB Kamek is "the" Kamek. In fact, I don't think there's even a "the" Kamek in Japan. But I'm not Japanese, so I can't say for sure.
Same role as the regular Kamek, so probably is. As he also buffs up Bowser, a specific role only Kamek himself has. The other general Magikoopas are just elite casters, but don't help out Bowser that way. They aren't his personal henchmen, after all.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Really, the Chrom situation is probably more than anything, a result of Chrom being added late (his model doesn't look especially great) and a lack of compelling reason to redesign and reprogram Robin's Final Smash.
Couldn't that apply to Kamek, since he could be DLC?

Even though I think Poochy is more likely

Noipoi

Howdy!
I never said that there's nothing in common Yoshi has with Mario, just that it's enough to justify the separation and to advocate for new Yoshi content without the double standard
There's nothing wrong with wanting new Yoshi content, I thought we were just posting our thoughts about how distinct the Yoshi series is from Mario :p

KMDP

Smash Legend

I mentioned this in the Isaac thread, and it's worth mentioning here, I guess.

After a Team Smash, your victory screen will presumably be able to have Robin, Two Chroms and "The Chrome from the Fire Embull" as a result of picking three separate characters (this also applies to the battle itself)

You can even use Robin's Final Smash to use Chrom to attack Chrom.

Also part of the Isaac thread post: "and people think updating Assist Trophies to playable will be a problem?"

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
There might be "the" Kamek in the same way there is a "the" Toad.
Don't recent FE games has a canon hand-wave to explain this stuff?
I'm pretty sure they do. They've had it since Awakening.
Different timelines.
Or, well, different realms that can be traveled to via the outrealms.
It's the same way they could explain Female and Male Robin being in the same place at the same time, or both Corrins being in the same place at the same time.
I mean, believe it or not, Fire Emblem Heroes could potentially be canon and still make sense within other Fire Emblem Canon because of this fact.

It's in a similar way to how Toon Link, Young Link, and BotW Link are all in the same place at the same time, despite the fact each of them could be from different timelines, and definitely different times.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Couldn't that apply to Kamek, since he could be DLC?

Even though I think Poochy is more likely
Probably, but I can say with absolute certainty neither of those characters will be DLC no matter what. :p

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
This might sound crazy, but I'm not sure if I want a season 2...
I'm in the same boat. I'll gladly take more Smash content... but if the second wave is as big as the first one, the DLC alone would approach the cost of the game itself. That just seems sort of extreme to me.

For my own sake, I'm assuming these are the last five Smash Ultimate characters. And then the last Smash characters... for a very long time.

D

Deleted member

So, you are in the 'Sakurai needs a break' team too, huh?
I think if anything it's that we're simply running out of characters to choose.

A new Zelda rep, Geno, Rex & Pyra, Heihachi, Banjo-Kazooie.

Those are, at the very least, five characters that would fill the Fighters Pass and make everyone satisfied, if that's what Hitagi is saying.

And y'know what? You can just end it there. No more characters, because really after that, who is now left? Another Final Fantasy VII character? Funky Kong?
There's no way we're getting a Fire Emblem: Three Houses rep and a Pokemon Gen 8 rep, that's for sure.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Those are, at the very least, five characters that would fill the Fighters Pass and make everyone satisfied, if that's what Hitagi is saying.

And y'know what? You can just end it there. No more characters, because really after that, who is now left? Another Final Fantasy VII character? Funky Kong?
There's no way we're getting a Fire Emblem: Three Houses rep and a Pokemon Gen 8 rep, that's for sure.
I have some ideas on who'd be left...

But I might be imagining things...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
"- Don't expect an Atlus or Bethesda rep. When he was asked about if he's heard of any Shin Megami Tensei or Persona characters being discussed, Hitagi simply replied that "none" were brought up. Same with Doomslayer."
> implying Doomguy is literally the only character Bethesda has ever made
> implying that something not being brought up is a 100% disconform, despite him not knowing all of the characters, and probably wanting to keep quiet about others.

Seriously, “yeah, I’ve heard that name” would instantly get translated to “he’s in!!!!!” Case in point: everyone’s latching onto Katalina because there maybe possibly were talks about Granblue that may or may not have fallen through.

But “Everyone will enjoy it!”

:glare:

I don’t like leakers, but this is just text leaks now. Yes, he has thr approval of someone who’s gotten things right, but then why isn’t Vergy as confident? Do they have the same sources?

Maybe we’ll get something official within a month, then we'll have something to go on. Or be too busy playing Smash, one of the two.

Noipoi

Howdy!

It's Ratatta, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, and Yungoos.

D

Deleted member

If DQ gets a character, do you think it will be Erdrick, Slime or someone else?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Eh,

I think a lot of people would be angry if Heihachi were to be the only 3rd party that is not Banjo/Geno to make it into the dlc roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom