• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So, I know we're in the demo stage of things for the game, but what do you all think of the potential combo game? On par with Smash 4 (which I found was a great balance between 64 and Melee's levels) or more like Brawl again where it'll be more trading hits to obtain neutral?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not a Fire Emblem fan, but I'd be fine if half of the DLC Newcomers are Fire Emblem characters.
To me, it doesn't matter what series a character is from, just what uniqueness they can bring to the table
Sure, for the most part I agree, it'd be fine. But I can see why others can get frustrated at the idea. Especially since most of them use swords and have a counter as a Down-B.

SHOULDA GIVEN IKE SOME BLADE BEAMS INSTEAD.
SMH SAKURAI.
CLOUD GOT ONE. WHY NOT ME?
Ike doesn't get his Blade Beams in Smash. Just like Ganon doesn't get to use the Tennis Ball of Death.
We never get to see Ike dual wield Ragnell and Alondite doing sick Agni and Rudra Combos.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pikmin Prime: Hocotate Force
And then Arzest was never seen again, the people rejoiced.

Yaaaay.

Why complain about FE counter and how it's not really an FE mechanic when countering is literally there since the beginning of the series. How are you all FE fans? :073:
People are too busy playing with Fox on Final Destination to notice.

The actual issue is, they tend to look uninteresting, compared to a few cases. :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultlucario:

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I haven't read every page so it might've already been posted, but past just Zero's impressions, this chart amalgamates his with Nairo's, Abadango's, Marcbri's, and Dabuz'.

As someone who has one character in average, two in strong, and then five in the top two, I'd be all smiles with this.
It makes me immensely happy to see Zelda in the strong group. Hopefully her bottom tier days are finally over.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sure, for the most part I agree, it'd be fine. But I can see why others can get frustrated at the idea. Especially since most of them use swords and have a counter as a Down-B.
Sakurai's choosing the wrong characters then... There are a lot of Axe and Lance users in Fire Emblem, and I'm surprised one hasn't gotten into Smash yet

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what's funny? People are talking about how good Olimar is but I've never seen one ounce of footage from him.
this is your cue to post them people

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m refusing to buy Ultimate because Nintendo is changing the feather on Game and Watch. Ridiculous babies crying over a ****ing feather.
*puts on Grammar Nazi costume*
I read those two posts one after another, and let me tell you my brain skipped the word Grammar D:
Guys, I’m clearly kidding about the game and Watch thing. :rolleyes:
*Hands you a /s*
That should help ya out next time.
Maybe if IS weren't so fond of giving swords to the Lords every time...

Yeah, the Devil is back as an AT, no one blinks an eye, G&W goes Apache, and everyone loses their minds.

View attachment 176773
I get it's probably a joke but lol those aren't close comparisons at all.

(Spoiler alert: Racism is real, the Devil is not)
I'm probably using the Meta Ridley alt whenever I'm using him. That was my favorite design until the Samus Returns version managed to make an even better Meta-Ridley.
I am still holding out for unlockable alts and a Proteus Ridley alt. Clearly the best Ridley design.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do you ever just...look at your switch...and you know ultimate is already downloaded onto it...it's right there....you could play it...but you can't yet...even though it's there...waiting....asjkfb;kgsdugh[oghohsdgdj
I’m surprised that no one datamined the game yet.

D

Deleted member

It's not even an FE exclusive problem either
All of these characters
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultike::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk:
have counters. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern fighting game where there's more than 2 characters that have a true counter, and Smash has 16 of them. That's nearly a quarter of the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, I know we're in the demo stage of things for the game, but what do you all think of the potential combo game? On par with Smash 4 (which I found was a great balance between 64 and Melee's levels) or more like Brawl again where it'll be more trading hits to obtain neutral?
Considering how fast Ultimate's gameplay is, probably something between Smash 4 and Melee.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ike doesn't get his Blade Beams in Smash. Just like Ganon doesn't get to use the Tennis Ball of Death.
We never get to see Ike dual wield Ragnell and Alondite doing sick Agni and Rudra Combos.
No that's stupid.
Obviously he would possess Alondite into his right arm and then when he activates his Devil Trigger, a stand of the Black Knight appears behind him and attacks with Alondite while Ike does his normal attacks.
It's basic Emblem May Cry lore man.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai's choosing the wrong characters then... There are a lot of Axe and Lance users in Fire Emblem, and I'm surprised one hasn't gotten into Smash yet
Probably listens to IS' suggestions, lest they never let him use anything new from FE again.

I read those two posts one after another, and let me tell you my brain skipped the word Grammar D:

*Hands you a /s*
That should help ya out next time.

I get it's probably a joke but lol those aren't close comparisons at all.

(Spoiler alert: Racism is real, the Devil is not)

I am still holding out for unlockable alts and a Proteus Ridley alt. Clearly the best Ridley design.
Ok, so what about the Villager tans? No one freaked out over those, at least, so I think it's fair to compare that with feather G&W.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
*has no idea what "Million Arthur" is*

To be honest I prefer Million Tintin.
Who the hell is Million Arthur?
It's a ****ty Gacha game made by SE and written by the same writer who wrote the Certain Magical Index series. It's a really bad game that pretty much forces you to pay to even compete with other players

And I spent way too much money on it

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yuri Kozukata is Today's Item:

"The protagonist of the Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water game is now an assist trophy. If she gets you with her Camera Obscura you'll be paralyzed for a short time, so watch out!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He's primarily choosing main protagonists. Most of which use Swords. Add to that, each fighter, barring Marth, was added in when they were that new hotness. It just also helps that Ike was popular outside of Smash by Fire Emblem standards.

So they likely wouldn't go back to add in Hector or something.

No that's stupid.
Obviously he would possess Alondite into his right arm and then when he activates his Devil Trigger, a stand of the Black Knight appears behind him and attacks with Alondite while Ike does his normal attacks.
It's basic Emblem May Cry lore man.
Aw man, I thought Ike's DT was his Dad's soul manifested in his Axe. My bad.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Would be cool if the Minecraft stage was destructible and you started on grass but made your way down to bedrock, with different villains depending on where you are (creepers on the ground), skeletons/spiders below it. Maybe you even end up at the End (with some endermen) after bedrock

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There is one Axe user and one Lance user.
Both come from games made a decade ago.
The lancer is generally not liked by the community.

Hector the axeman's cool though.
Still not relevant.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

"The protagonist of the Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water game is now an assist trophy. If she gets you with her Camera Obscura you'll be paralyzed for a short time, so watch out!"
Actually if any AT gets upgraded I really hope it's Waluigi Yuri. Such a cool mechanic. She'd make a really unique fighter with her camera as her main attack

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
While I agree that the situation is overblown, conversely feeling strongly about them changing it is also giving the detail more attention than it warrants.

Game and Watch still looks far more interesting this game than he has ever been in my eyes and that alteration doesn't have much of an impact.
They can remove the feather, as long as they keep his face. I love all of his new expressions.

Real talk, the apparent range nerf on f-smash is more complaint worthy than the feather.

D

Deleted member

Real talk, the apparent range nerf on f-smash is more complaint worthy than the feather.
Someone else knows what matters. When I first saw that move, the range nerf was the first thing I thought of. Maybe I'm a terrible person...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Is this the first time an M Rated game is represented solely with an assist trophy, and not by a series already with a character?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I haven't read every page so it might've already been posted, but past just Zero's impressions, this chart amalgamates his with Nairo's, Abadango's, Marcbri's, and Dabuz'.

As someone who has one character in average, two in strong, and then five in the top two, I'd be all smiles with this.
Pit needs to be in the average category at the least (just like where he’s been for two game tier lists in a row)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Probably listens to IS' suggestions, lest they never let him use anything new from FE again.

Ok, so what about the Villager tans? No one freaked out over those, at least, so I think it's fair to compare that with feather G&W.
Those were good representation, it was an avatar character with more than just "white" skin tone options. The G&W thing was negative representation.

Honestly with the added Villager skins and the G&W change (at least in America) I'm really happy with Nintendo, especially considering those were real simple, obvious changes (we've had non-white villagers in Animal Crossing for a couple years and the G&W sprite was already alterted for the GBA port).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom