• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What makes your most wanted newcomers likely and unlikely to be in Smash?
Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
+ Nintendo works with Tecmo Koei a lot recently, represents two franchises, appeared on the NES Classic

Bill Rizer [Contra]
+ Appeared on both the NES and SNES Classic
- Hasn't had a game recently

Arthur [Ghosts 'n Goblins]
+ Appeared on both the NES and SNES Classic
- Hasn't had a game recently

Kunio [River City Ransom]
+ Popular in Japan, still puts out games on Nintendo systems regularly
- Not very well known outside Japan

Erdrick [Dragon Quest]
+ Super popular series in Japan, supposedly another SquareEnix rep on the way

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Captain Toad/Toad:

The positives:
+ Chrom proves you can be part of a moveset and still be a fighter
+ Isabelle proves you can be a non traditional fighter archetype(although Toad's taken down Wario, Wart and Bowser in the past and Captain Toad defeated a dragon that OHKO's Paper Mario and took on a evil warlock crow)
+ That Generic argument has been destroyed by Piranha Plant
+ The No Jump thing has been destroyed by a potted plant somehow being able to jump which is less likely than Captain Toad packing lighter.
+ Not an assist trophy
+ Nintendo love using Toad as a promotional character to the point Miyamoto managed to piss a fair few people off by overusing them in the Paper Mario series.
+ Toad's model, like Chroms, is already in game and is rigged up for basic punches, kicks, etc due to Peach and Daisy's throw.
+ Nintendo are choosing, not Sakurai whom doomed Toad to meatshield duty for decades
+ Is the most famous face left from the most famous video game series Nintendo own.

The negatives:
- Still has Paper Mario and maybe Waluigi to compete with.
- May be glossed over due to Piranha Plant being a Mario character and thus other series take priority.

The could go either ways:
= Toadette has been heavily promoted by Nintendo recently and can advertise New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. On the one hand, she could be added as an alt to Toad as having her before him is a bit like starting with Luigi before Mario. On the other, if Nintendo want to push Peachette after the Super Crown broke the internet, Toad won't really work having a Peachette Final Smash or transformation.
= Is a stage element. Easily removable compared to an Assist Trophy and we've seen characters do it in the past(Dedede, Toon Link) or be on stage with another version of themselves(DK, Duck Hunt). Captain Toad canonically has Double Cherries so really we could just explain it like that too, but it could prevent him possibly.

Overall though:

Sleeping-on-Toad.png

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
To add onto this, and to give more clarity as to why the investors would be pleased to see Square choose Geno, the Diablo Immortal disaster incident really gave insight that treating your audience will reflect on your financial reports, as shown here.

View attachment 176653

Pretty much, if Square chooses Geno and both them and Nintendo negotiated, went to Sakurai, and which obviously we know Sakurai would choose him right off the bat, this will only net good faith to investors and the fans.
I...think that's a might bit different. The fans who wanted Diablo 4 on PC and not a mobile knock off was a gigantic part of their audience, including those who actively paid to be at that event. The majority of their fanbase is PC based and some console as well.
Meanwhile Geno's fanbase is a niche within a niche for Smash where it's a part of the hardcore fanbase that rallies for Geno, the hardcore fanbase already being a niche.

Beyond that is a giant difference in scope between the two things. Diablo and Geno. Diablo is THE dungeon crawling hack and slash lootfest. It's a genre defining series. Geno is a side character from an RPG twenty years ago that missed an entire third of the world till recently and is only really cared about within a niche of the Smash fandom. A great deal of those who want Geno already buying the game anyway regardless.

Geno not being DLC for this game would in no way create any kind of backlash like Diablo Immortal spawned.
Diablo Immortal bait and switched paying fans who were eagerly awaiting the next entry in a beloved franchise, Geno was never hinted at or promised. This wouldn't be the first time Geno was passed over and considering the entire gaming world wasn't brought to ruins because of it the last two times it's highly unlikely to happen this time either.

Geno would be a really cool character but can we please stop hyping him up to these ridiculous levels?

NineS

Smash Lord
I...think that's a might bit different. The fans who wanted Diablo 4 on PC and not a mobile knock off was a gigantic part of their audience, including those who actively paid to be at that event. The majority of their fanbase is PC based and some console as well.
Meanwhile Geno's fanbase is a niche within a niche for Smash where it's a part of the hardcore fanbase that rallies for Geno, the hardcore fanbase already being a niche.

Beyond that is a giant difference in scope between the two things. Diablo and Geno. Diablo is THE dungeon crawling hack and slash lootfest. It's a genre defining series. Geno is a side character from an RPG twenty years ago that missed an entire third of the world till recently and is only really cared about within a niche of the Smash fandom. A great deal of those who want Geno already buying the game anyway regardless.

Geno not being DLC for this game would in no way create any kind of backlash like Diablo Immortal spawned.
Diablo Immortal bait and switched paying fans who were eagerly awaiting the next entry in a beloved franchise, Geno was never hinted at or promised. This wouldn't be the first time Geno was passed over and considering the entire gaming world wasn't brought to ruins because of it the last two times it's highly unlikely to happen this time either.

Geno would be a really cool character but can we please stop hyping him up to these ridiculous levels?
You know, at times I feel that the characters some of us want (2B, Joker, A Granblue rep, etc...) are the actual niche ones compared to Geno, just because of how we usually talk about them here. I actually let myself believe that a few times

It's a nice reminder to know that some of our most wanted characters aren't anywhere nearly as niche as Geno actually is, not that this really increases any of their chances, but it does make Geno seem a bit more humbled, in a satisfying way. Not that I dislike Geno or hold anything against him, as I actually sort of want him in (but if it comes between him or my other 2 most wanted, well, I've said it before), but I'm so used to talking about Geno as if he's a huge thing outside of Smash that I've almost begun to actually think that.

I still think he's fairly likely, not for the reasons mentioned above, and I would like to see him in, but I feel at times we blow him out of proportions outside of the Smash speculation scene, not that this is a bad thing, but it isn't entirely a good thing either.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
You know, at times I feel that the characters some of us want (2B, Joker, A Granblue rep, etc...) are the actual niche ones compared to Geno, just because of how we usually talk about them here. I actually let myself believe that a few times

It's a nice reminder to know that some of our most wanted characters aren't anywhere nearly as niche as Geno actually is, not that this really increases any of their chances, but it does make Geno seem a bit more humbled, in a satisfying way. Not that I dislike Geno or hold anything against him, as I actually sort of want him in (but if it comes between him or my other 2 most wanted, well, I've said it before), but I'm so used to talking about Geno as if he's a huge thing outside of Smash that I've almost begun to actually think that.

I still think he's fairly likely, not for the reasons mentioned above, and I would like to see him in, but I feel at times we blow him out of proportions outside of the Smash speculation scene, not that this is a bad thing, but it isn't entirely a good thing either.
granblue is way more niche than geno tbh

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well Joker support thread's pretty big here, but yeah, you ARE in the minority HERE.

See it's a matter of bubbles. In the Smash bubble, Geno is on everyone's mind, but outside of it, "who?"
Conpared to 2B who in the smash bubble is "oh yeah her" where outside it she's "THE BEST THING OF ALL TIME, EVER"

Bionichute

Smash Champion
In the west, sure. Not in Japan though.
people who want granblue in smash? still definitely niche over there. even other gangbuster series like touhou and fate/stay night are actually really not wanted by smash fans in japan. japan seems to actually be critical of which characters are included, unlike people over here who will defend everything.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
people who want granblue in smash? still definitely niche over there. even other gangbuster series like touhou and fate/stay night are actually really not wanted by smash fans in japan. japan seems to actually be critical of which characters are included, unlike people over here who will defend everything.
No, dude.
Stop thinking that a translated thread from 2chan represents what the vast majority of Japanese want.

Everyone wants their stupid character in Smash, no matter the country.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
No, dude.
Stop thinking that a translated thread from 2chan represents what the vast majority of Japanese want.

Everyone wants their stupid character in Smash, no matter the country.
can you actually find any evidence people in japan want granblue lady

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Well Joker support thread's pretty big here, but yeah, you ARE in the minority HERE.

See it's a matter of bubbles. In the Smash bubble, Geno is on everyone's mind, but outside of it, "who?"
Conpared to 2B who in the smash bubble is "oh yeah her" where outside it she's "THE BEST THING OF ALL TIME, EVER"
It does really baffle me that some people don’t realize that despite Geno being a popular fan favorite in the Smash community outside of it most people have no idea who the hell he is.

As an Isaac fan I know most people outside of Smash probably don’t know who he is and Isaac was the main character of a successful RPG series on the GBA that got three games.

I hear people saying Nintendo would benefit from using Geno........but I don’t really see how.. They’d make some Smash fans happy, but I don’t see a SMRPG 2 coming anytime soon. They’d have to share profits with Square if they did anyways, which people on here try to use against characters like Sora and DQ.

Ridley and K. Rool are from Nintendo series. Nintendo 100% benefits from them and can use them in Metroid and DK games. Hell, if they decided to do anything with Isaac they would benefit from Golden Sun games as well and wouldn’t be sharing with third party companies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Shantae
+ Is the oldest indie character many can think of (beating the likes of Cave Story by two years)
+ Has past ties with Capcom
+ Fun and Creative moveset
+Popular in Japan
+ Creators are still rooting for her to be DLC
+ Assist trophies are all filled out

- Her general appearance may tick off a few moral zealots
- Is competing with a metric ton of other Nindies (except for Beck)
- Fanservice may turn some fans away

= Ken Sugimori is a fan
= Is a spirit (neutral because we don't know the full skivvy on that yet)

...my stars, I am late to this one.​

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Magolor
+ Recurring Kirby villain turned support character
+ showed up in a relatively successful entry in the series, well known to the Kirby fanbase
+ Seems to be really popular inside HAL, considering how many games he's showed up in at this point
+ Great boss fight with tons of potential, new Star Allies kit gives him even more to work with as well
+ Relatively popular in Japan, and did well in the ballot from what I can tell? real weird

- Still very unknown, even if he's in a successful series
- Star Allies kit is probably way too new to actually be focused into anything
- Waddle Dee is way more deserving of a slot, definitely going to get in before Maggy
- Sakurai bias against new Kirby characters lol
- He is a no good lying Crime Egg (Which is why I love him)

? He has a spirit

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Is it me...or people can't read the first explanation for the Loss of SQUARE-ENIX?

1541657542177m.jpg

The reason of said loss is literally restructuring a studio and giving it more resources all of the suddent to make AAA games...

Am I stupid or it is actually a good things that they're ready to use money for a Studio not to make DLC but AAA games?

Also, are people really ****ing arguing that it can help Geno now?

Really?

Did you guys went that low?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, are people really ****ing arguing that it can help Geno now?

Really?

Did you guys went that low?
Every recent development can help your fave, if your imagination is strong enough.

Shantae
- Her general appearance may tick off a few moral zealots
Didn't stop K.Rool!

Muh bad, ouhdated, ugly and fat dezign.

:p

Banjo Kazooie

+ History with Nintendo
Were bonafide Nintendo characters once upon a time
Quite popular in the 90's platforming boom
In their hey day were trusted to promote merchandise and consoles
Nostalgia
Commercially successful titles on the N64

+Seemingly a popular request

+Great potential for moveset

? While not making them anymore likely, Phil Spencer being on board and supportive isn't a negative.
? Were not deconfirmed

Unlikely

- Series looks to be forever dormant

- Third party (to a lesser extent)

- Potential competition with a fellow Microsoft IP, the juggernaut that is Minecraft

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i really just can't think its anything but dragon quest at this point. the new game came out very recently, the improved switch edition of it is coming next year presumably, and dragon quest is overall one of the most popular things EVER in japan. if nintendo went to square, they probably wouldn't want to get another final fantasy character, because cloud is pretty good on his own.

nah you get a character from a classic rpg series thats popular where you live and a cult hit in other parts of the world (doesn't hurt that the latest entry also did very well in the west), because you'll get tons of money from fans in japan, and it'll help strengthen the brand over in the west, thus improving it for basically everyone involved

its the only option that makes any sort of sense

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
You can choose two of these three characters to be in Smash. Enzo (Bayonetta), Travis Touchdown and Hades (Kid Icarus).

osby

Smash Obsessed
>Ken is the only character that isn't in this picture
>Ken is the only character from Grinch leak that is in Smash
>*thinking emoji*

You can choose two of these three characters to be in Smash. Enzo (Bayonetta), Travis Touchdown and Hades (Kid Icarus).
Travis and Enzo. Travis for his fans and Enzo for how ridiculous it would be.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
>Ken is the only character that isn't in this picture
>Ken is the only character from Grinch leak that is in Smash
>*thinking emoji*

Travis and Enzo. Travis for his fans and Enzo for how ridiculous it would be.
The Grinch stole these characters from the roster.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I respectfully disagree. Xenoblade's gameplay is fun, and I really do believe Monolith Soft would do the series more justice than GameFreak. It's not just LGPE that are bad games (although they're definitely the worst so far). Pokemon Sun and Moon had many issues holding them back as well. There was very little exploration, with characters like Lillie and Hau interrupting you every five minutes or so to tell you something useless. Aside from Vast Poni Canyon, there were no large dungeons to explore. Cutscenes and dialogue were completely unskippable, despite several other RPGs having this option. The Pokemon designs were mostly good, but there weren't that many compared to what we got in Gen 3 and Gen 5. The music was great, no complaints there. The story was also pretty good. USUM were lackluster enhanced versions that barely added anything new to the original Sun and Moon. It even took away the good points of the original story. The Ultra Recon squad didn't get a proper backstory. They just appeared randomly in the games without any build-up, and when you finally got to see their homeland, it was just another linear corridor. There was still no Battle Frontier, and although Rainbow Rocket was enjoyable for about an hour, it lacked the replayability of the Frontier. Roto-Loto was the same as the O-Powers from Pokemon X and Y, but with added RNG for inconvenience. I hope that the Gen 8 games are at least better than Sun and Moon and fix its shortcomings.
I guess I am a bit harsh on Xenoblade's gameplay. Its combat serves its purpose, which is to flow in and out of exploration more naturally then turn based systems like Pokemon's would. I also agree that the exploration elements in Pokemon's gameplay have been regressing over the years and I really want to see Pokemon Switch open up its world some more. I just don't think Monolith soft is the answer to that. While their games are primarily focused on exploration, the combat and systems themselves lack in simplicity and sometimes substitute complexity for depth. Pokemon gameplay is extremely easy to understand but still has a surprising amount of depth to it despite that. This makes it a great game for children and beginners while still having enough element of strategy to satisfy veterans - as a former competitive player I know how deep Pokemon's gameplay can be. Xenoblade however has a lot more complexity and is very easily able to overwhelm someone who's inexperienced with JRPGs or people unfamiliar with RPGs in general.

I think it's best for Monolith Soft to do their own thing. They make RPGs for people who love world building and anime-inspired characters and stories. Yet no one expects or demands fantastical fantasy environments or anime melodrama to be the main focus of their Pokemon games, it's all about collecting the monsters themselves and simple, easy to understand fun.

As for not introducing too many Pokemon in XY and SM, something gives me the feeling that has to do with how Pokemon's monster count is starting to get really crazy. Every new Pokemon they create is more work they have to do with their current sprite or model becomes outdated.

And if it counts for anything, I can just be a really harsh critic when it comes to gameplay. Nintendo has given me this expectation for intuitive yet deep gameplay which is something even some very talented publishers really struggle to get right.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i really just can't think its anything but dragon quest at this point. the new game came out very recently, the improved switch edition of it is coming next year presumably, and dragon quest is overall one of the most popular things EVER in japan. if nintendo went to square, they probably wouldn't want to get another final fantasy character, because cloud is pretty good on his own.

nah you get a character from a classic rpg series thats popular where you live and a cult hit in other parts of the world (doesn't hurt that the latest entry also did very well in the west), because you'll get tons of money from fans in japan, and it'll help strengthen the brand over in the west, thus improving it for basically everyone involved

its the only option that makes any sort of sense
you could easily argue for sora for the same reasons, id also argue they would make a ton more on sora and i can also easily see square port the whole kh series to switch and they make it a big announcement for both things at once

Bionichute

Smash Champion
you could easily argue for sora for the same reasons, id also argue they would make a ton more on sora and i can also easily see square port the whole kh series to switch and they make it a big announcement for both things at once
that's going off complete assumptions and not anything confirmed, though. for all we know the kingdom hearts games will remain playstation exclusive, maybe for business reasons. dragon quest is what we have the most concrete evidence of actually being able to happen

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
that's going off complete assumptions and not anything confirmed, though. for all we know the kingdom hearts games will remain playstation exclusive, maybe for business reasons. dragon quest is what we have the most concrete evidence of actually being able to happen
well they are already not ps exclusive, the collections are sure but nintendo has already had 4 kh games on there systems and kh3 is also going to xbox. there is really no reason to not put at least kh3 on the switch other than square, like most 3rd parties, were waiting to see if the switch was gonna flop or not.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
well they are already not ps exclusive, the collections are sure but nintendo has already had 4 kh games on there systems and kh3 is also going to xbox. there is really no reason to not put at least kh3 on the switch other than square, like most 3rd parties, were waiting to see if the switch was gonna flop or not.
if they port kh3 to the switch, it won't be revealed until well after the game is out on ps4, and definitely not at the game awards. that tends to be how switch ports for games already late in development tend to go, reveal them after release. and that is still an IF they are porting it to the switch, which, again, is hearsay and speculation

the kh games that have been released on nintendo consoles tend to be some of the worst in the series, barring ddd which seems to be just okay, and none of them seem to particularly sell well. nobody played chain of memories, and nobody played the roxas game because nobody really cared about either and just wanted to get to the actual third game

and obviously on top of that, they would have to both get permission from square AND disney, and disney might not be keen on letting one of their characters in a game like smash bros, especially in regards to things like bayonetta being in the game. we obviously don't know how this works, but disney is pretty notoriously stingy about a lot of stuff

it would be straight up easier to just get a dragon quest character. there isn't exactly much else to it, its better for business for them to advertise games actually coming out, dragon quest is popular and will get them a lot of money, its a complete win scenario for both nintendo and square. the other likely option is actually geno, but a dragon quest character would still get more of a reaction from a general audience rather than just the very close knit smash bros fandom

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guess I'll play along. I'll put some pros and cons for each, though I'm sure there's some I'm gonna miss.

Mega Man X

Pros:
- Popular character that would have a unique moveset.
- Capcom has characters already and would be easy to work with.
- Has a model in the game, thus saving at least a little hassle.

Cons:
- Is in Mega Man's Final Smash, so it's a more defined role than simply being on a stage or something.
- Unlike Chrom, he wouldn't likely be a last minute clone who could show up in both an FS Assist and as a Character. Protoman or Bass fit this more with their moveset potential being similar and builds being closer to OG Mega Man as well.
- While popular, if Mega Man were to get another character, he has a lot of competition, from the other Mega Men like Volnutt or EXE, Zero, Bass and Protoman at least.

Sylux

Pros:
- Has cool weapons to take advantage of.
- Potential promotional character

Cons:
- Until Prime 4 comes out, he's fairly obscure, and from a franchise that just added two new characters, ones that were really popular.
- While fairly popular with Metroid fans, Smash fans haven't rooted for him like they had with Ridley or D. Samus.

Ryu Hayabusa

Pros:
- A gaming icon from the NES era who also has many modern game appearances. He's the de-facto Video Game Ninja. Even beating out the likes of Strider.
- His developer has worked with Nintendo on a few titles before, like Metroid Other M and Fire Emblem/Hyrule Warriors. DoA on 3DS had a Samus/Ridley cameo stage. Regardless of what you think of those games, that might make getting him in ever so slightly easier.
- His moveset nearly writes itself. Either with the NES, DoA or modern Ninja Gaiden versions.

Cons:
- Some might see him as more of an "X-Box character".
- Hasn't had a ton of support from the fans, so not many people might want him. So he could get glossed over. Third parties are rarely not requested by fans in some capacity. Ritcher got in as an Echo, and even he's at least popular in terms of CV protagonists.

Dixie Kong

Pros:
- Still shows up in games, so not exactly obscure.
- Starred in two titles of an iconic trilogy.
- Also requested by Smash Fans. So the interest is clearly visible.

Cons:
- We just got the main DKC Villain who was even more popular than her.
- Might be too similar to Diddy Kong.
- Supposedly, she was gonna be in a duo with Diddy, without that, she might not be considered interesting enough.

Jin Kazama
Pros:
- Major character from a really popular fighting game series that's had a few titles on Nintendo systems. Though none of the Mishimas are really good guys.
- Has a robust moveset to pull attacks from, while being readable enough and crazy enough to transition into Smash.
- Namco already has a character in the game, so adding him might not be too hard.

Cons:
- Heihachi was the character that was considered for the previous game, not Jin.
- Likely because of this fact, and that Heihachi got to be a Mii Costume, He's been more requested by fans.
- Sakurai and the other devs might still have issues transitioning a 3D fighting game moveset into 2D.

If I'm honest, I'm not expecting any of the third party characters I'd REALLY want. But maybe the two first party characters have a shot, given the circumstances.

I should say that I'm fine with the roster as is, but if I were to make suggestions/wishes for what I'd want, this is pretty much it. As long as the choices make people happy, then I'm happy.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Being real here, what are the odds for bandanna dee now?
Pretty much as good as they've ever been. Relatively solid, but it depends on Sakurai's mindset in terms of the character. That said, he just put Piranha Plant in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom