• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palarm

Smash Cadet
Pretty much as good as they've ever been. Relatively solid, but it depends on Sakurai's mindset in terms of the character. That said, he just put Piranha Plant in this game.
With nintendo calling the shots though will sakurai have much input? If he did why mention that nintendo are picking the reps you know?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; double posting
>Ken is the only character that isn't in this picture
>Ken is the only character from Grinch leak that is in Smash
>*thinking emoji*
Nah. A couple Rhythm Heaven fellas and Kazooie aren't there, as well.

The Grinch stole these characters from the roster.
I kind of love this idea. Now, hopefully like in the movie, he can give them back. just a bit late, as DLC. Other than Isaac, who unfortunately missed out on Christmas day, and will just have to come back to the reunion next time.
I know that won't happen though, Sakurai's tweet confirmed this.
The Grinch didn't have time to redeem himself this time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
With nintendo calling the shots though will sakurai have much input? If he did why mention that nintendo are picking the reps you know?
He said he still decided if they could work.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Being real here, what are the odds for bandanna dee now?
He's one of the ones who I can't be sure with. On one hand, he's popular and pretty important in newer Kirby games. On the other, there's only been a bit of content for newer Kirby titles here and there, let alone a character. Though few characters seem like locks anyway.

Calane

Smash Ace
What makes your most wanted newcomers likely and unlikely to be in Smash?
[Erdrick]
Erdrick.JPG

Likely:
1 - Dragon Quest seems very likely to be where this mysterious new SE rep comes from. Especially now that we know Nintendo is picking the DLC.
2 - Protagonists are usually chosen first when adding a new franchise into Smash, and Erdrick is DQ's most iconic hero. Heck, he apparently won some sort of poll for favorite character back in 2010: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/
3 - If Dragon Quest doesn't receive a generic "DQ" as the series' symbol, I think it'd be the one pictured below.
Erdrick Symbol.PNG
This symbol is associated with Erdrick. Not only does it appear on his equipment, but it's also used in various DQ merchandise and whatnot.
It's very likely that it'd be used as DQ's Smash symbol, and since it's literally Erdrick's mark...
4 - I remember hearing that DQ3 was Sakurai's favorite Dragon Quest game. Guess who happens to be the protagonist of that game.

Unlikely:
1 - It's very possible that the SE rep isn't from Dragon Quest.
2 - There's a chance that Slime would be chosen instead (which would disappoint me greatly). It's the only thing that those unfamiliar with the franchise recognize.
3 - It's possible that Eight or the Luminary will be chosen instead (but I honestly wouldn't mind that at all. I just want an actual DQ character).
4 - I doubt Erdrick got many votes on the ballot (this might not matter too much, though).

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hmm, but Slime....over Erdrick! I don't know I just can't be unbiased here as much as I try lol.
Ahhh man your'e going to make me put that weird looking thing as my profile pic XD, ok fine I agree to the terms. Lets see who wins ha.

Hmm I agree with you there DQ does have an advantage there and with Bandai Namco in the mix, makes it interesting. I still think the high Square, Disney Nintendo partnership might pull through though. Either way its going to profit three companies ha.

Ah I had no idea some of Dragon Ball music sounded like Goemon music. Im a bit biased in this department because I actually like Bruce Falconer's music in the English Dub lol.

I really liked the first one Eletromotive Hell, and the other two remind me of Okami XD which is good because I really liked the music in that game. Ok so I guess we will do top three then, since you chose 3. Man you're going to make this harder than it already was for me haha.

1) Veiled in Black from Final Fantasy 15

2) Petals in the Wind from Samurai Warriors 4

3) 13th Struggle from Kingdom Hearts 2
Slime has been the star of 3 games, so it's a possibility. Slims are tough, honestly I would really rather play as Slime than any of the heroes.
Ok. Just making sure, is that the Sora image you want to use (already saved) or any Sora image?

Hmm, Are Disney and Nintendo really that buddies? Then why Mario was scrapped for Wreck it Ralph 2?
No, I meant the other way around. One of Goemon tracks sounds like it's from DB, that's the JP DB however.
Oh I love Okami, yes they sound similar cause they roam around Japan folk.

Ok, so out of the 3 (I think you've already guessed), the 2nd is what I liked the most. The first was also amazing and the 3rd just didn't fly with me (sorry). You know why even if or you like a track it may not sound as good to me or you? it's simply because each track is actually connected to moments of games we've played and got affected by. It's not even stable in one game. Like we can play the same game but the moments that affected each might differ, which lead to different likings to tracks of that said game. So don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Likely:
1 - Dragon Quest seems very likely to be where this mysterious new SE rep comes from. Especially now that we know Nintendo is picking the DLC.
2 - Protagonists are usually chosen first when adding a new franchise into Smash, and Erdrick is DQ's most iconic hero. Heck, he apparently won some sort of poll for favorite character back in 2010: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/
3 - If Dragon Quest doesn't receive a generic "DQ" as the series' symbol, I think it'd be the one pictured below.
This symbol is associated with Erdrick. Not only does it appear on his equipment, but it's also used in various DQ merchandise and whatnot.
It's very likely that it'd be used as DQ's Smash symbol, and since it's literally Erdrick's mark...
4 - I remember hearing that DQ3 was Sakurai's favorite Dragon Quest game. Guess who happens to be the protagonist of that game.

Unlikely:
1 - It's very possible that the SE rep isn't from Dragon Quest.
2 - There's a chance that Slime would be chosen instead (which would disappoint me greatly). It's the only thing that those unfamiliar with the franchise recognize.
3 - It's possible that Eight or the Luminary will be chosen instead (but I honestly wouldn't mind that at all. I just want an actual DQ character).
4 - I doubt Erdrick got many votes on the ballot (this might not matter too much, though).

I think that the logo could be a slime because like you said those unfamiliar with DQ can recognize the series by a slime for the icon.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hmm, Are Disney and Nintendo really that buddies? Then why Mario was scrapped for Wreck it Ralph 2?
Mario got cut in both Wreck-it Ralph 1 and 2.
In 1 it was because they were too late and couldn't find a good scene for him and I have to remind you, Bowser appears.
In two it was because they couldn't find a reason for Mario to appears so they didn't went to get Mario's right.

Not a reason of "muh friendship" with Disney and Nintendo. They just didn't find a reason for Mario to appears except being Name-dropped because the role of "Guide" was given to Sonic.

Calane

Smash Ace
I think that the logo could be a slime because like you said those unfamiliar with DQ can recognize the series by a slime for the icon.
Yeah, I honestly think that's the best option for the series' symbol, personally. It would instantly make people recognize that the character they're playing as is from DQ, even if they weren't familiar with the series.

However, after I found out about the Erdrick symbol, I started thinking that they'd probably use that instead. It would make sense, but it also wouldn't do as good a job as a Slime symbol would do in telling people "this is a Dragon Quest character". I feel like it could be either, but I would personally prefer Slime as the series' symbol if I had to choose. Either one points to Erdrick (or another hero) being chosen if DQ gets a rep. It would be weird to have a playable Slime with itself as the symbol (well, Sonic does that, but at least it's just his head). It'd also be weird for Slime to have Erdrick's mark as well.

Basically, a playable Erdrick with Slime as the series' symbol makes the most sense, and it's what I would actually do myself.

Though, knowing my luck, we would probably just get a playable Slime with a generic "DQ" as the symbol...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I started playing Dragalia Lost and please tell me these characters get more interesting because they better if they wanna step it up and get into Smash one day.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Based on the fact that Nintendo is choosing the characters, here's my educated guess on who I think would be the most and least-likely first-party characters. This is assuming Spirits don't disconfirm a character.

Likely:

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
BotW Champion
Gen VIII rep
Three Houses rep
Prime 4 rep

Maybe?:

Paper Mario
Bandana Dee
Fourth Star Fox rep (assuming racing game is real. Otherwise, "Unlikely")
Sixth Gen I rep/Second Gen VII rep
Elma
Rex & Pyra (almost put the pair in "Unlikely")
Rhythm Heaven rep

Unlikely:

Waluigi
Skull Kid
Impa
FE rep from anything aside from Three Houses
Gen II - Gen VI Pokemon rep.
Fourth KI rep
Isaac
Spring Man
Obscure/old retro character

I have a feeling Nintendo will put a heavy focus on relevancy rather than popularity. The newest and most prominent characters from games Nintendo that would be able to further promote the Switch with seem like the top contenders - the "Likely" column. The less relevant but still highly marketable characters are in the "Maybe?" category. The last column, "Unlikely", is a bit of a mess, but I'm assuming characters who already have a notable role in Ultimate and characters who wouldn't do much to push Nintendo's current agenda do not have a decent chance of getting added. Basically, any character who relies strictly on popularity and has little to no relevance would definitely fall in this list.

Keep in mind that this is just my own worthless opinion. I've never actually seen how Nintendo would prioritize Smash characters before, so the most I can do is guess just like everyone else.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I still maintain that while a Gen 8 Rep is possible - i feel it's still a bit too late. I feel FE: Three Houses has a lot more chance then a Gen 8 Rep (Melmetal is possible but unlikely). Though i have a feeling if FE were to get a Rep, it would be from Heroes to promote the Mobile Side of Nintendo.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Based on the fact that Nintendo is choosing the characters, here's my educated guess on who I think would be the most and least-likely first-party characters. This is assuming Spirits don't disconfirm a character.

Likely:

Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
BotW Champion
Gen VIII rep
Three Houses rep
Prime 4 rep

Maybe?:

Paper Mario
Bandana Dee
Sixth Gen I rep/Second Gen VII rep
Elma
Rex & Pyra (almost put the pair in "Unlikely")
Rhythm Heaven rep

Unlikely:

Waluigi
Skull Kid
Impa
FE rep from anything aside from Three Houses
Gen II - Gen VI Pokemon rep.
Fourth KI rep
Isaac
Spring Man
Obscure/old retro character

I have a feeling Nintendo will put a heavy focus on relevancy rather than popularity. The newest and most prominent characters from games Nintendo that would be able to further promote the Switch with seem like the top contenders - the "Likely" column. The less relevant but still highly marketable characters are in the "Maybe?" category. The last column, "Unlikely", is a bit of a mess, but I'm assuming characters who already have a notable role in Ultimate and characters who wouldn't do much to push Nintendo's current agenda do not have a decent chance of getting added. Basically, any character who relies strictly on popularity and has little to no relevance would definitely fall in this list.

Keep in mind that this is just my own worthless opinion. I've never actually seen how Nintendo would prioritize Smash characters before, so the most I can do is guess just like everyone else.
Obligatory "You're all sleeping on Yoshi's Crafted World being a bigger deal than you all realize" post from Zinith :yoshi:

Palarm

Smash Cadet
I had shadow pinned as a dreamcast rep, but since he is deconfirmed is it possible that one could be DLC? Personally I would love to see beat from jet set radio in smash but the odds are very unlikely

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I still maintain that while a Gen 8 Rep is possible - i feel it's still a bit too late. I feel FE: Three Houses has a lot more chance then a Gen 8 Rep (Melmetal is possible but unlikely). Though i have a feeling if FE were to get a Rep, it would be from Heroes to promote the Mobile Side of Nintendo.
I feel Nintendo might have one Nintendo Mobile Rep to Represent Smash DLC

Palarm

Smash Cadet
I really think melmetal has good odds, he represents both GO and Lets GO which nintendo seem to be loving at the minute

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
No, dude.
Stop thinking that a translated thread from 2chan represents what the vast majority of Japanese want.

Everyone wants their stupid character in Smash, no matter the country.
Funny thing is that I know exactly what 2chan screenshot he's referring to, because I've been in one of those threads and even asked if those comments were genuine. I got exactly the sort of responses you'd expect, but I took it in stride because I was kind of hoping to be wrong anyway.

I'll play Devil's Advocate by saying that some niche characters would be fun additions to the roster, regardless of how "stupid" they sound. Some might see obscure picks as horrible mistakes, but I see them as happy accidents.
e53lwycpz9yy.png

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The funny thing is I was thinking about this place earlier when I saw a post on Tumblr about how Bob Ross would've loved Minecraft.

And now there's a picture of Bob Ross in here.

So next time you just go hating on Steve in Smash remember that Bob Ross would probably be a Steve main.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
adding a second character with witch time would cause some people to actually die from salt overload so i think that also is a negative.
*Way late response*

While a second witch time would be the easiest way to implement her I did think of another way her power can work. In ARMS she specifically freezes projectiles, the arms, so I was thinking her Down Special could be a shockwave that freezes all projectiles in a radius. The first time it's a huge radius, but if used continuously the radius is smaller and the freeze doesn't last as long.

Overall her whole playstyle would be based on air game and air dodging, while keep distance with ranged attacks and stoping/reflecting other ranged attacks.

But yea they could also just make it Witch Time 2.0 :p

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, don't expect any niche pic for the Smash DLC. I suspect that the DLC are going to consist of Well Known Third Party Characters And Characters for recent games "cough mobile games" they can promote.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In my opinion, don't expect any niche pic for the Smash DLC. I suspect that the DLC are going to consist of Well Known Third Party Characters And Characters for recent games "cough mobile games" they can promote.
I think you're putting too much stock in mobile games getting a rep. Aside from Heroes, there aren't many characters from existing Nintendo mobile games who haven't already appeared in a dozen other console and handheld games. On top of that, what very few mobile exclusive characters we have would be random and admittedly poor choices for DLC.

Even though it would make sense for Nintendo to push a mobile character, there's not really much for them to work with. Honestly, it might be just as effective for them to keep posting ads of their mobile games on YouTube.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Funny thing is that I know exactly what 2chan screenshot he's referring to, because I've been in one of those threads and even asked if those comments were genuine. I got exactly the sort of responses you'd expect, but I took it in stride because I was kind of hoping to be wrong anyway.

I'll play Devil's Advocate by saying that some niche characters would be fun additions to the roster, regardless of how "stupid" they sound. Some might see obscure picks as horrible mistakes, but I see them as happy accidents.View attachment 176667
Which is why I vouch for people like Earthworm Jim and Klonoa. They hardly matter anymore, but they shouldn't be excluded if they manage to bring something fun to the table. Having anyone recognize them at all is a bonus. :ulticeclimbers:

That being said, said characters do need to have support drummed up. Vouching for "big" wants like Banjo-Kazooie and Geno is fine and all, but it comes at the expense of other possibilities.

Given the success of Star Fox 2 and the SNES Mini, I think they'd probably want one of the girls from that game included to capitalize on it.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If there's any series that's as much as a licensing boondoggle as Kingdom Hearts, it's probably Dragon Quest because of its' music.

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
I think you're putting too much stock in mobile games getting a rep. Aside from Heroes, there aren't many characters from existing Nintendo mobile games who haven't already appeared in a dozen other console and handheld games. On top of that, what very few mobile exclusive characters we have would be random and admittedly poor choices for DLC.

Even though it would make sense for Nintendo to push a mobile character, there's not really much for them to work with. Honestly, it might be just as effective for them to keep posting ads of their mobile games on YouTube.
there is euden from dragalia lost.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
What makes your most wanted newcomers likely and unlikely to be in Smash?
Though I don't really advocate for him much, my most wanted is Goemon (from the Ganbare Goemon series, Konami). I would say it seems like they're not interested in putting him in anything new, but he was just recently in the Bomberman Switch game...

Well, besides that (and potentially because he'd be yet another Konami character, not that I actually think that matters), I feel like since Nintendo was in control of the entire list of potential DLC characters, it's a little hard to believe they would pick Goemon.
He's not obscure in Japan, really, but I feel like they're going to try to push certain future/newer games. At least for some of the characters.

My other most wanted is Geno and, well, that's kinda in Limbo right now

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Personally if we get a new FE Rep for DLC it will be either Sharena or Edelgard and i can see valid arguments for either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom