• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As a Brawl Snake main, I felt that the Wii U game was great when it first came out. I love the fact that DLC really made the roster feel incredible.

That said, while I didn't care at first, it felt like Wii U lost a lot of soul from dumping the Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer and Snake. Wolf was another character I really liked, but I figured if there were cuts that he'd go. Either way, the roster just felt...meh, when you look at who was lost.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Are you talking about Roy? I thought everyone wanted him. In my opinion, Corrin is the dlc disappointment
You thought WRONG.

In my opinion, Roy suuuuuuucks in every way and the only reason he's even got any notoriety today is because he got super lucky with Melee's timing as an advertisement character for a game that didn't even exist yet. He's more Smash than he is Fire Emblem.
And yeah Corrin sucks too

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Gotcha. I just try to see those so-called "leaks" as what they are - rumors. They may be true, they may be not, but they shouldn't limit our speculation so much.

I just wish that people would focus more on what they want, and what appeals to them, and what might be interesting, instead of debating ad nauseam what seems more likely when we have no reasonable way to predict these things in the first place.
True. I like seeing people throw in occasional wild cards every now and then just to spice things up. These things in turn rejuvenate interest in near-forgotten franchises. Amazing what kind of effects leaks and rumors have on people, eh? A Renaissance or a Happy Accident. You decide.
>:ultsnake:
>:ultridley:
>:ultsimon::ultrichter:
>:ultkrool:

You call that disappointing?
Wait, heh? I wasn't talking about that leak at all! I quite like all of those characters, actually! You got mixed up with the Smash 4 leaks, dude! I was referring to the one with "Photoshopped Little Mac"! From Smash 4! LOL

Or am I confusing the leak names? The list you posted is the Vergeben leak as I would call it. 'Hoo boy...

I am going to assume the other people who quoted me are saying the same exact you are, so let's keep the responses abridged here, 'mmkay?

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Quite glad that they changed Robin's hair from his green alt. into brown (A nice reference to Mark from the GBA FE games), that green hair color kind of puts me off.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I probably would have been very disappointed in Smash 4 if it weren't for the online and competitive community. There was nothing to do and barely any characters to unlock. Even the game play was a tad bit too defensive and slow for my taste. I had way more fun with Pokken and honestly probably only stuck with Smash 4 over it because, again, I enjoyed the competitive community more. Then the Bayo controversy came and yeah...

Seriously though, I'm more hyped for nerfed rolls and the new 1v1 damage multiplier then I am for certain newcomers (sorry :ultchrom::ultisabelle:, you're still cool). Faster, riskier gameplay should hopwfully make matches so much more exciting.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
For me, it’s Isaac or nothing as far as a GS character goes, make him playable and have Matthew or any of his allies as the AT.

And no disrespect to :ultisabelle: fans but I would it find really baffling if the reason most characters are ATs because they weren’t “worthy“ or “suited” for battle yet Isabelle of all people somehow was.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Honestly, all my votes for veterans feels kiiiiiinda redundant because of that.
I wouldn’t say so.

I’m sure Sakurai’s decision of bringing back every veteran was at least partially based on seeing all the votes for veterans in general.
Even if he had the original idea, the amount of votes for characters like Wolf probably solidified It as something he should definitely go through with.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I keep seeing people saying that "Nintendo will want to push these games" or "Nintendo will add X third party character to build relations with them." I want to take a quick look at the types of crossover Nintendo themselves do.

Mario Maker: As you may know, Super Mario Maker had Mystery Mushrooms that could let Mario turn into different characters, with a lot of them being outside of the Mario universe. So outside of the Smash amiibo, there is one Non-Nintendo game characters: the Felyne from Monster Hunter. OK, so Nintendo does add content from third party companies titles. However, Mario Maker also has costumes for Hello Kitty, Shaun the Sheep, Babymetal, Arino KACHO (GameCenter CX), characters from Famitsu and Corocoro (Japanese publications) and the GLA.

Mario Kart 8: As many people know, you can drive the Mercades Benz GLA. Nintendo also had DLC where you can play with Link, Isabelle, Villager and Inkling in the Switch game. There were some Mii costumes but all of these were related to amiibo

Splatoon: Splatoon 1 and 2 have had numerous crossover Splatfest but almost all of them have been for Non-gaming related stuff. There have been Splatfest for Spongebob, TMNT, and several cloths and food brands in Japan (including McDonalds). There have been two gaming related Splatfest. One for Pokemon Red/Blue and another for Dragon Quest (“Go all out! vs. Focus on healing”) in Japan.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The game has both KOS-MOS and T-ELOS as blades (character weapons basically), with the former being added later on. While this may be a sign Nintendo will build good will, keep in mind both of these characters are from Xenosaga, so in some ways they are part of a larger series (as Xenoblade is the spiritual successor).

Now, people will point out that there have been other Nintendo crossovers such as Final Fantasy in Mario Hoops, the Mario Kart Arcade game having Pac-Man or the Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing content in Monster Hunter. However, all of these games are made by other companies, not Nintendo. Heck, even with Ubisoft (a company people note Nintendo has a great relation with), the games that use Nintendo characters such as Starlink and Mario and Rabbids are all made by Ubisoft, not Nintendo. What it indicates is that Nintendo likes to license out their characters but doesn’t always do so in return. In fact, the majority of Nintendo’s crossover content seems to be non-gaming related stuff. Even with Mario Maker and Splatoon having crossovers with other games, most of it is with stuff outside of gaming. I think this is important to note as Nintendo likely sees that gaming related crossovers aren’t as important and that these other crossovers will generate more interest with consumers.

All of this is about Nintendo's choices and, from looking at other titles, it doesn't seem they do what people are claiming. Nintendo could easily promote other games through things like the Splatfest but they don't. If Nintendo does promote something its more often than not something outside gaming. And when their characters are crosseover with other game franchises, its usually the other company doing it, not Nintendo. Basically, Nintendo isn't going to start adding a lot of guest characters to Smash to promote games because they don't do it for their other titles. At this point, Nintendo has promoted a car more often than they've promoted any of their third party partners.

Which leads back into Sakurai’s comment. Why mention Nintendo chose the DLC? I think the reason was a philosophical difference. Sakurai see Smash as a celebration of gaming where Nintendo sees it as a celebration of Nintendo. You can see this in the advertising. Go look at the back of a box. It always references Smash Bros as Nintendo’s All Stars, not gaming. Sakurai, however, often brings up Smash being a celebration of gaming. I think that's why the comment was made as their decisions are going to differ from his.

I don't think a third party character wont happen. Heck, it happened in the examples above. I think people are creating these crazy expectations for the DLC, claiming there will be a ton of guest characters. I could see one but any more than that may be wishful thinking. My guess is Nintendo will mostly use their own characters over licensing a ton of others.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Now for the second of the my three skits (the first was with Incineroar). This one is how Ken got to be the last echo newcomer for Ultimate:

*Ken, Shadow, Funky Kong, Octoling, Impa, Jeanne are sitting in a conference room together around
*A Mii of Sakurai is at the head of the table with gloves that look like Master Hand and Crazy Hand

Sakurai: I callled all of you here today to unfortunately relay some bad news. We thought that there would be enough time to process and register six more echo fighters. It appears to be the case where we will only have time for only ONE more echo fighter. For most of you present, you will no longer be considered for an echo fighter slot, but that does not mean there is no chance you might be called for a fighter role in the future or another significant role within Smash Bros. The four that unfortunately will have to be dismissed are Funky Kong....

Funky Kong: Bummer.

Sakurai: Octoling...

Octoling: Roster not so woomy...

Sakurai: Impa...

*Impa tilts head down

Sakurai: And Jeanne.

*Jeanne just puts her palm over her face

Sakurai: For Shadow and Ken. You are both in the running. However, I will ask for a match between the both of you. The winner will receive the last invitational for an echo fighter slot within Smash Bros.

Shadow: Hmmph.

Ken: I am honored you are seriously considering me.

Sakurai: The match will be held a week from now. Even if you lose, do not worry, you will have the consolation prize of being an Assist Fighter for the Ultimate Smash Bros. tournament.

*Shadow is scowling at the mention of Assist Fighter

Sakurai: You may all be dismissed.

*Impa, Ocotling, and Jeanne all look disappointed or sullen, Funky Kong just swaggers out of the room with his surfboard

Funky Kong: Later dudes...

*Ken and Shadow stare at each

*Ken smirks
*Shadow scowls

Shadow: You will soon know just what power the Ultimate Lifeform has.

Ken: Bad Deviantart Sonics are the Ultimate Lifeform? Well I have heard weirder crap from Ryu about the stuff coming from these other universes, so its plausible I guess.

Shadow: DONT! YOU! DARE! COMPARE! ME! To! HIM!

Ken: I am going to channel Funky for a second, and say, "Chill bro."

Shadow: Hmph. We will see how chill you are once I finally acquire what is rightfully mine.

*Shadow and Ken leave

*Shadow is running along Radical Highway

*Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are there too

*Shadow is sparing with Sonic

Shadow: I will show them... I will show them all! I should have been the one to represent my universe from the very beginning. I am the ultimate life form.

*Sonic easily defeats Shadow
*Shadow gets back up

Sonic: Hey Shadow. I know we are not on the best of terms, but I really want to see you get in too. I think our universe deserves a second being to represent it outside of the assists. You will make a great echo of me.... *gets interupted

Shadow: Listen. I will not be the one echoing you. You will be echoing me. GOT IT?

Sonic: Shadow. I did not mean that like that. We are in this together. I know you are resentful for having been an Assist Fighter for the last two Smash Bros. tournaments, while I was the one that got to represent our world. It hurts, I know. That is why I want to help you.

Shadow: I do not need your help. That Ken is just a generic martial artist. A dime a dozen. Nothing new or unique. I will prove myself by going it alone. CHAOS CONTROL!

*Shadow teleports away

Sonic: Oh Shadow...

*Knuckles puts one of his big fists on Sonic's shoulder.

Knuckles: Don't worry Sonic. I will show him the way... The way of being an Assist Fighter. *laughs Why do you want to help someone that is such a jerk.

Sonic: Listen Knux, Shadow's pride is hurt. He always thought ever since our world was granted admission as part of the Smash Bros. tournament, that he would be the one chosen, instead it was me, and to top it off the Assist Fighter role, just made him more bitter. He got to see me fight while he just Assisted whoever summoned him.

Knuckles: Pfft. Being an Assist Fighter is a great honor. There are actually less Assist Fighters than actual Fighters in the tournament you know. Also, a lot less requirements and all that stuff. Me? I think Assisting suits me just fine. Sure I wish I could have been on the roster alongside you Sonic, heck, I almost made it into an underground Smash Bros. tournament (Knuckles is referring to how in Project M, Knuckles was among the newcomers planned for that mod).

Tails: Unlike Shadow, I wish I was more similar to you. I have been helping you alongside you for years. If only I was a little taller, then I could have qualified for an echo invitation.

Sonic: Its okay buddy. Sometimes things just don't work out. Personally, if it were up to me, I think you would be the best choice for our universe's second fighter.

Tails: Really Sonic?

Sonic: You know it.

Knuckles: Oh come on Sonic. Nothing goes better with Sonic than an "& Knuckles".

Sonic: Haha. I guess so. Who knows. Its not really our place to decide. We can make suggestions on who gets chosen, but its ultimately up to the organizers (Sakurai and others) who select who even gets chosen. However, I have fought Ryu many times, and have beaten him without much effort. Shadow will do fine, he just does not need to be cocky.

Knuckles: *raises eyebrow That is a tall order then.

*Over at Suzaku castle

*Ken is sparing with Ryu

*Ryu KO's Ken

Ken: Man, Ryu. How the hell did you get so good in just a short amount of time. I used to be able to keep up with you and put up one hell of a fight even with balancing a family life?

Ryu: Smash Bros. has afforded me to fight some of the most incredible fighters in all of existence. Fighting styles and abilities I never heard or seen manifested themselves among the many Fighters who participate in it. It a whole new level of fighting, and I am grateful that I was selected to be the one to represent this world. And I got bad news for you. Sonic. He is among the ones that gives me the most trouble. If this Shadow is echoing Sonic in his fighting style, you most likely are going to lose as you are now.

Ken:.... Those are words I did not want to hear.

Ryu: Ken, even if you try as hard as you can, and even if I tell you everything I know on how to fight erm hedgehogs, there is a very good chance you will not win. I have not won against Sonic once so far in the Smash Bros. tournament.

Ken:....

Ryu: I will do everything I can. However, its ultimately up to you. You cannot afford to make any mistakes. Also, the rules of echoing mean that you cannot deviate much from my own fighting style or else you will be disqualified.

Ken: I see. Then I guess we have ourselves an all-weeker.

Ryu: *nods There is much to learn and go over.

*one week later

*Ken and Shadow are on battlefield while Sonic, Ryu, and Sakurai are on the sidelines

Sonic: You can do it Shadow! You got this! Good luck!

Shadow: Pfft. I do not need or believe in luck.

Ryu: I think you got this.

Ken: No, I believe I got this. *smirks

Ryu: *slight smile

Sakurai: 1... 2... 3... GO!

*Shadow immediately rushes Ken

Shadow: You are not just going to lose. You are going to lose... BADLY!

Ken: *puts up his guard

*Ken is blocking a flurry of punches, kicks, and spin attacks from Shadow, and then kicks Shadow away

*Ken is smirking and runs away

Shadow: Get back here you coward!

*Ken fire a hadoken at Shadow
*Shadow gets hit with it

Shadow: What the HELL was that?

Sonic: Shadow, he can attack you from a distance. You need to close the distance.

Shadow: No, DUH! I just hit with it you DUMBASS!

*Shadow runs towards Ken at full speed

*Ken hits Shadow with down-b special and then unleashes a powerful kick to Shadow

*Shadow goes flying off stage, but jumps mid air to recover

Sonic: DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS GUY?! You should not be losing to him. I beat his buddy numerous times. Shadow, Please listen. Please.

*tilts head toward Sonic

Shadow: NO! YOU LISTEN! I DONT NEED YOUR DAMN ADVICE! I AM SHADOW THE HEDGHOG! THE ULTIMATE LIFE FORM! I WILL NOT LOSE AND I CANNOT LOSE! SO. SHUT. YOUR. CRAP. SPEWING. FACE!

*while Shadow is ranting his face is met with a heavy shoryken.

Ken: SHO RYO KEN!

*Shadow goes flying into the background.

Sakurai: Ken wins! Congratulations to our final echo fighter for the Smash Bros. tournament.

Ken: YEAH! That's right! *holds arm up in the air like in his unveil trailer for Ultimate

*Ryu walks onto the battlefield

Ryu: Ken, I am proud of you.

Ken: I would have lost immediately if it were not for you training me. That guy's speed was beyond anything I have seen. I was barely able to keep up. If it were not for his arrogance and ranting I would not have won as decisively as I did.

*Ken fist bumps Ryu

*Ken is at the tournament HQ in the Battlefield world

Sakurai: You are now officially part of the roster. Congratulations.

Ken: *bows I am honored to be afforded this tremendous opportunity to represent my universe and friends in this greatest tournament ever.

Sakurai: To tell you the truth. You have been a long running inspiration. Since the very beginning of the tournament it has been costly to admit new fighters in, so we have always encouraged a fraction of potential fighters to emulate the fighting style of another participant fighter in the tournament. We now have 18 such fighters with an "emulation" style including yourself, a quarter of all the fighters. Without your interesting twist on Ryu's style, we never would have gotten this high.

Ken: Wow, so I made a big splash?

Sakurai: *nods. We will be looking forward to your participation in the tournament. However, you should first become acquainted with your fellow participants.

*Later Ken walks into a room saying "Clones"

*There is a massive party set up
*Luigi, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Falco, Ganondorf, Roy, Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Lucina, Dark Pit. Daisy, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Isabelle are there

Isabelle: Oh Mr. Masters, I would like to congratulate you on your invitation to the tournament. I never thought that I would be able to make it, being too different from the Mayor to become an echo fighter, but thanks to me studying your style I was able to make it as a regular participant. Is the party to your liking?

Ken: *smiles you did a very good job

Roy: You have been a big inspiration to everyone here. Even myself, seeing you incorporate fire into your attacks, inspired me to search the feeling of my heart and channel the fiery spirit into my sword (this is actually how the Sword of Seals/Binding Blade gets its flames). Thank you. I would not be here in Smash Bros. without you.

Ken: *gives Roy a thumbs up Not a problem. Fire always makes things cooler.... and hotter.

*most of the "clones" chuckle.

Chrom: Me and my daughter are in your debt. Without the creation of the echo fighter category, we never would have made it in.

Ken: Daughter? You a dad too bro?

*fist bumps Chrom

Ken: Papa power. But why does your daughter appear to be like the same age as you. Do people in your world age very slowly or something?

Chrom: Its actually a long story.

Ken: No worries. Ah *spots Luigi in the corner

Ken: I know you!

Luigi: You do? Wow, what a honor.

Ken: Yeah. I always thought Green Mario was a lot cooler than regular Mario.

Luigi: T-t-thanks...

*everyone in the room laughs

Ken: I am just messing with you. Who could forget the king of second bananas, Loogie.

Luigi: I-its Luigi.

Ken: Got it Louie. *thumbs up

Luigi: Close enough.

Ken: Luigi, you are a good guy.

Luigi: Wahoo.

*Ken continues to mingle with the various clones and echoes

Later.

*Ken is walking with Ryu

Ken: I truly appreciate everything. I am really grateful to be in, and the tournament organizers were even generous enough to allow me a lot more leeway for my moveset than what is typically allowed for the echo subset.

Ryu: Ken, we have known each other since childhood. We may be rivals, but we are also friends. I did not just want to see someone else from our world go to the tournaments, but I wanted my closest friend to be there with me. You have helped me grow immensely as a fighter, and it would not feel like a proper tournament without you also there.

Ken: I could never ask for a better friend.

*Ryu and Ken are walking into the sunset

*meanwhile at the lodge for Assist Trophies

Knuckles: Everyone give a nice warm welcome to Shadow the Edgehog.

Shadow: Oh shut up!

*Shadow slouches onto a middle space on a couch

*Shovel Knight is on his right side, and Waluigi is on his right side

Shovel Knight: Why dost thou protest thine honor? Tis a privilege to be granted brief sweet combat upon though hallowed grounds of elysium.

Waluigi: WAAAAH. You upset. Because you did not make it. But it even a greater disgrace Waluigi did not make it. Waluigi number 1. No fair. Waluigi number 1. No fair. Waluigi number one. No fair.

*Shovel Knight continues to speak in Ye Olde English about how lucky it is just to be an Assist Trophy while Waluigi continues to rant about how unfair it is he is not a fighter

*all while this is going on Shadow's face is twitching and his face slowly contorts into a scowl.

*I Am All Of Me starts playing internally

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It pains me to say this but they’re likely going to end up like the Wolf supporters at the end of Smash 4 DLC; saltier than the Dead Sea.
Oof, don't remind me...

I did personally give up due to Ryu. Felt like the string of DLC veterans were done. Cloud only re-affirmed that stance.

Ultimately (heh) didn't matter. Now he's back and better than before.

D

Deleted member

My disappointment with Funky not being an Echo is immeasurable
The problem is that Funky would need to be a Wario echo to be true to his character, and he doesn't match Wario's build.

Maybe he'll be a DLC character, Funky Biking across the stage on his signature Flame Runner.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Hey.
Being a Golden Sun fan is more suffering than being a Geno one.
At least, hope exist for you.

for us...It's all dead.
Hey.... Nintendo is secretly remaking the first two Golden Sun games for the Switch and even though he’s a spirit we’re going to get a playable Felix to promote the game..........

(I’m a delusional Golden Sun fan, don’t mind me)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
For me, it’s Isaac or nothing as far as a GS character goes, make him playable and have Matthew or any of his allies as the AT.

And no disrespect to :ultisabelle: fans but I would it find really baffling if the reason most characters are ATs because they weren’t “worthy“ or “suited” for battle yet Isabelle of all people somehow was.
Isabelle is extremely relevant right now and has become AC's mascot. GS is dead.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Something just accured to me

Could they add modes as free updates in smash ultimate

They did that with Mario kart 8 with 200cc

I’m not saying likely but maybe possible.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Um, not to nitpick but... I don't see anywhere in that interview that states that characters can't go from being an Assist Trophy to a playable character.

Keep in mind that that interview was also held for Brawl, when DLC wasn't a thing.

The closest thing is that Sakurai said the criteria for picking Assist Trophies is that:
  1. The Character is not a Fighter (i.e. Nintendogs, Mr. Resetti, Isabelle in Smash 4)
  2. The Character is a Fighter, but is too difficult to include as a Playable Fighter.
  3. Including the character at all would make fans happy.
"Too difficult to include" has multiple meanings, one of which is that there simply wasn't enough time to include them in the Base Game.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Isabelle is extremely relevant right now and has become AC's mascot. GS is dead.
So are F-Zero, Earthbound (if you consider completed to be dead), and basically any Retro game.
Series status doesn’t mean squat if you’re bringing in a whole new franchise.

And that wasn’t even the argument, I wondered if the reason ATs weren’t playable if they’re not worthy yet the one character who was considered by fans as too “pacifist” was.

Not saying that’s the reason but I’d be dumbfounded if it was.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Alright, I think I have my definitive list of charcters I can see getting in as DLC.

-Sylux
-Tibby
-Bandana Dee
-Elma
-Geno
-Sora
-DQ Character
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Steve
-Doomguy
-Crash
Needs Heihachi. I'd toss in Vault Boy, Master Chief and Dante as well. Maybe Leon Kennedy

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Yeah.... as a huge Golden Sun fan I’ll say myself that Animal Crossing is MASSIVE right now and Isabelle is the face of it. 100% make sense why she’s in.

NineS

Smash Lord
You thought WRONG.

In my opinion, Roy suuuuuuucks in every way and the only reason he's even got any notoriety today is because he got super lucky with Melee's timing as an advertisement character for a game that didn't even exist yet. He's more Smash than he is Fire Emblem.
And yeah Corrin sucks too
i wanted roy

i used my ballot vote on roy

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I keep seeing people saying that "Nintendo will want to push these games" or "Nintendo will add X third party character to build relations with them." I want to take a quick look at the types of crossover Nintendo themselves do.

Mario Maker: As you may know, Super Mario Maker had Mystery Mushrooms that could let Mario turn into different characters, with a lot of them being outside of the Mario universe. So outside of the Smash amiibo, there is one Non-Nintendo game characters: the Felyne from Monster Hunter. OK, so Nintendo does add content from third party companies titles. However, Mario Maker also has costumes for Hello Kitty, Shaun the Sheep, Babymetal, Arino KACHO (GameCenter CX), characters from Famitsu and Corocoro (Japanese publications) and the GLA.

Mario Kart 8: As many people know, you can drive the Mercades Benz GLA. Nintendo also had DLC where you can play with Link, Isabelle, Villager and Inkling in the Switch game. There were some Mii costumes but all of these were related to amiibo

Splatoon: Splatoon 1 and 2 have had numerous crossover Splatfest but almost all of them have been for Non-gaming related stuff. There have been Splatfest for Spongebob, TMNT, and several cloths and food brands in Japan (including McDonalds). There have been two gaming related Splatfest. One for Pokemon Red/Blue and another for Dragon Quest (“Go all out! vs. Focus on healing”) in Japan.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The game has both KOS-MOS and T-ELOS as blades (character weapons basically), with the former being added later on. While this may be a sign Nintendo will build good will, keep in mind both of these characters are from Xenosaga, so in some ways they are part of a larger series (as Xenoblade is the spiritual successor).

Now, people will point out that there have been other Nintendo crossovers such as Final Fantasy in Mario Hoops, the Mario Kart Arcade game having Pac-Man or the Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing content in Monster Hunter. However, all of these games are made by other companies, not Nintendo. Heck, even with Ubisoft (a company people note Nintendo has a great relation with), the games that use Nintendo characters such as Starlink and Mario and Rabbids are all made by Ubisoft, not Nintendo. What it indicates is that Nintendo likes to license out their characters but doesn’t always do so in return. In fact, the majority of Nintendo’s crossover content seems to be non-gaming related stuff. Even with Mario Maker and Splatoon having crossovers with other games, most of it is with stuff outside of gaming. I think this is important to note as Nintendo likely sees that gaming related crossovers aren’t as important and that these other crossovers will generate more interest with consumers.

All of this is about Nintendo's choices and, from looking at other titles, it doesn't seem they do what people are claiming. Nintendo could easily promote other games through things like the Splatfest but they don't. If Nintendo does promote something its more often than not something outside gaming. And when their characters are crosseover with other game franchises, its usually the other company doing it, not Nintendo. Basically, Nintendo isn't going to start adding a lot of guest characters to Smash to promote games because they don't do it for their other titles. At this point, Nintendo has promoted a car more often than they've promoted any of their third party partners.

Which leads back into Sakurai’s comment. Why mention Nintendo chose the DLC? I think the reason was a philosophical difference. Sakurai see Smash as a celebration of gaming where Nintendo sees it as a celebration of Nintendo. You can see this in the advertising. Go look at the back of a box. It always references Smash Bros as Nintendo’s All Stars, not gaming. Sakurai, however, often brings up Smash being a celebration of gaming. I think that's why the comment was made as their decisions are going to differ from his.

I don't think a third party character wont happen. Heck, it happened in the examples above. I think people are creating these crazy expectations for the DLC, claiming there will be a ton of guest characters. I could see one but any more than that may be wishful thinking. My guess is Nintendo will mostly use their own characters over licensing a ton of others.
The only thing I have to say to that is that I really hope your wrong.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Wow, guess I was right about people reviving the relevancy argument.
The problem with the relevancy argument is that why it isn’t true for EVERY character, it holds weight for others. AC only had one rep and it sells millions for Nintendo. And with a new title coming out for the Switch in 2019 it makes perfect sense for Smash to get another rep. And Isabelle is the most popular.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i just want to say

mostly guest characters is going to be the actual worst outcome for me. if we get mostly nintendo characters + a square enix character (and not a fire emblem character) that will be an absolute win for me. gettings lime would make it even better

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I remember one time in a place called "CHOPS" where I fought against a Roy player in Project M (I was wolf in both of the matches). It was my very first match I've ever had in project m, and was more used to Smash 4, so I played from what I've learned from that game and won, almost after that he got a bit salty and accused me of lying and that I did played Project M for a good while (I didn't).

He then switch to C. Falcon, and all I did for the entire match was spam Wolf's 4-hit jab (Which he somehow walked into, and didn't even DI'd out), he was still kind of salty, but he was at the same time calm/fine, said GG's to me, and we finished our set.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i want rayman and jibanyan too but i mostly come to smash for nintendo and the game needs more nintendo characters

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I would love some more third party characters, but I’d also be fine if most of the DLC was Nintendo characters if it meant we got some more MIA heavy hitters like Bandanna Waddle Dee or Dixie Kong

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Honestly, I'm even more glad K. Rool is in now because I don't have to deal with another round of this relevancy bull****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom