• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

i mean... it still has more modes than ultimate seems to...
I'm gonna keep it real with you, we all still play Melee after 17 years and the amount of modes that game has would be considered "lackluster" nowadays.
Brawl brought a lot to the table, but Smash For really screwed the path up with modes that we all never wanted or poorly executed. Either that, or modes we like, but after a couple of minutes, just never play again.

Ultimate cuts straight through the bull**** and gives us "this, here and that too". Even revamps modes like Classic Mode, where it REALLY needed revamping during Smash For. Honestly, Smash Ultimate's Classic Mode is the best implementation of a Classic Mode in Smash history. No randomized battles, and every character has a purpose and theme to their route.

Smash Ulitmate is pretty much what the name of the game is, "Ultimate" in fixing a lot of things and complaints.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I actually enjoy the fact that while we still don't know anything about the DLC, even the pseudo-psychological interpretations of Sakurai's wants and desires are now conjecture. It makes for an open playing field. It's nice, eh.

But hey, I fear it won't be long before people latch on to the next "leak" and discussions become incredibly narrow again.
I'm desensitized by leaks at this point, unless it's by someone with a respectable track record. The last thing we need is another ESRB situation with a disappointing final roster, or another Grinch Leak, with promising roster that ended up being fake.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I think having the slow characters not feel that slow in Ultimate compared to other games (*cough*BrawlGanondorf*cough*) is a huge plus in general because it makes players have more fun of what they can enjoy while also still be balanced of their character's slowness.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Susie would be better imo. Or Maybe have Kris, Susie, and Ralsei as a trio fighter. :p
Smash Announcer voice: "THE **** CLUB!"

Also do ya'll expect a new F-Zero to be announced at the mini direct?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'm gonna keep it real with you, we all still play Melee after 17 years and the amount of modes that game has would be considered "lackluster" nowadays.
Brawl brought a lot to the table, but Smash For really screwed the path up with modes that we all never wanted or poorly executed. Either that, or modes we like, but after a couple of minutes, just never play again.

Ultimate cuts straight through the bull**** and gives us "this, here and that too". Even revamps modes like Classic Mode, where it REALLY needed revamping during Smash For. Honestly, Smash Ultimate's Classic Mode is the best implementation of a Classic Mode in Smash history. No randomized battles, and every character has a purpose and theme to their route.

Smash Ulitmate is pretty much what the name of the game is, "Ultimate" in fixing a lot of things and complaints.
man its all coming down to the whole deal of the story mode being good and there being a lot of spirit battles. those seem like they have a lot of potential but they could easily mess them up too. im cautiously optimistic because i don't think they'd half-ass something as important as this. but they did half-ass a lot of stuff in smash 4, so

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's some new wii fit trainer footage now too. I wonder if it can be a good character this time around.

I think this might be my 3000th post

Graizen

Smash Champion
So a question for you guys:

People said for me that the Tamagotchis are not Vídeo Games , they are Toys.

But people said that the Eevee Tamagotchi is a Vídeo Game.

Why?

D

Deleted member

Final Smash Meter seems to fill as fast as Cloud's Limit or Little Mac's KO Punch when it really should have been much slower as there's no risk of losing it other than dying(which inly takes 1/4 out of it).
I don't even see myself using this for casual matches because at that ooint it jusy feels like you're playing PSASBR where onky supers matter.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Why?
Because they're two different people.
And if ROB counts as a videogame character, then I'm sure that tamogotchis do as well.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Why?
Here's a better question: who said it and why is it so specifi?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i am reaaaaaaaaallllllllly hoping that the bosses in adventure mode aren't just "sse bosses again + rathalos and dracula" because that would be such a waste when the rathalos and dracula fights look so good. think of all the nintendo bosses they could give great new fights

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
A new F Zero would be a God send and would instantly make the Direct a 10/10 unless they find some horrifying way to **** it up beyond repair

F Zero: LX (Only compatible with Labo)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
i am reaaaaaaaaallllllllly hoping that the bosses in adventure mode aren't just "sse bosses again + rathalos and dracula" because that would be such a waste when the rathalos and dracula fights look so good
We got some more like Masked Lumen, Werewolf, and that Bokoblin chief, so that's something

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
F-Zero is locked behind Miyamoto's developing block, kinda like the writing block but he can't think of a new gimmick. I mean, each new installment has their own gimmick now when Miyamoto has the head honcho wheel. Each Mario Kart has their own unique trait while stacking on top of the old ones, and eventually that's gonna collapse.

Perhaps Miyamoto can think on the mindset that people haven't experienced the game in so long, he could either do an enhanced rerelease or create a new game with SEGA that's similar, but not exactly the same, to stir up potential. I mean, Metroid did that and now we're in hell waiting for Prime 4.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
A new F Zero would be a God send and would instantly make the Direct a 10/10 unless they find some horrifying way to **** it up beyond repair

F Zero: LX (Only compatible with Labo)
That's nothing...

Imagine an F-Zero game

but its just a Mario Kart clone with F-Zero characters because Nintendo is afraid it won't sell as well if it wasn't

Bionichute

Smash Champion
We got some more like Masked Lumen, Werewolf, and that Bokoblin chief, so that's something
well the werewolf is a stage boss that could be easily reused, king bulblin could easily just be a modified version of how he is on bridge of eldin without any real flash to it, and the bayonetta guy is from bayonetta

we don't even know if those are actual bosses in the story mode or not, i mean its likely considering rathalos was on there too but... im gonna hold out hope for some dracula-tier surprises

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A bit late to the "Promote Five Assists" discussion, but here we go.

Waluigi
Starfy
Tiki
Shovel Knight
Vince

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Nah Smash 4 had no 'personality'.

Smash 64 had the lore of toys fighting to escape the master (hand) with it having comic book imagery (box art, the entire intro, classic mode clear pictures)
Melee, admitedly, had no personality by itself but the adventure mode and increase in stage count made it the first smash to properly look like a Nintendo All-Star crossover.
Brawl had the Subspace and everything seeming "epic finale" from the music, the atmosphere, to the content it offered.
Ultimate is a tribute to the entire series and continues the lore they abandoned after Brawl.

Smash 4 recycled too much from Brawl whilst getting rid of the finer details that made it feel special. Smash 4 was essentially "yeah this is the series you like. Here's more stuff but also less stuff". It felt more like a routine rather than something made to stand out unlike past titles.

Ultimate started with a bang with the everyone is here to including fan favourites. Then it made two modes (Spirits and WoL) that try to mingle non-present characters into the mix whilst obviously showing tons of love doing so.

Smash 4 was a fun game but yeah, it didn't have "personality" as you put it. At least to me.
Even Smash 4's theme is kind of dull and lifeless compared to all the others.

64 had a theme that incorporated the different series involved with a sense of whimsy that went with the toy theme.

Melee had an epic theme that makes it seem more grandiose. Instead of it being a bunch of toys fighting, it's a huge showdown with all these different characters.

Brawl had its amazing orchestra with Latin lyrics about great heroes and rivals banding together to save the world.

Smash 4... has I have no idea. The theme isn't nearly as dynamic or interesting as any of the others. The trumpets sound flaccid, and overall it doesn't inspire any intense emotions. It's not bad, but it doesn't get me pumped the way any of the others do.

Ultimate has a really powerful theme that communicates how all the characters are here, and then has a different remix with amazing lyrics that accompanies the story and scope of World of Light/Spirits.

While Smash 4 was helpful for us getting to Ultimate, it definitely doesn't have much of a lasting impact outside of its core gameplay.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

Why?
Hmm, I guess it depends on what certain people’s views of what makes a video game a video game is.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
F-Zero but Sakurai's directing it and it's just Kirby Air Ride without the Kirby until DLC but don't tell anybody

D

Deleted member

Final Smash meter has no place in semi-serious or serious matches but I'm gonna turn that **** on when playing with friends 100%. We love Final Smashes in casuals but hate the Smash Ball so it's perfect for guys like us.
Oh let's get this shmoney

Confirmed to be mini?
Not confirmed I think, but it's expected due to some premature retail listings.

R O F L

Smash Ace
This is just a random thought I had the other day.
What if there's one more assist trophy we haven't seen yet? We finished with 59 and there might be a 60th. I figured the reason we haven't seen it yet is because it would be unlocked by beating the story mode. What could it be? Since Rathalos is the "first" boss and assist trophy put together, I was thinking that there could be a possibility of Master Hand being an assist trophy that is unlocked through World of Light. We had unlockable assist trophies before so its not too far-fetched.

This is very unlikely but cool.

(Also, if trophies are gone, why are assist trophies still trophies?)

D

Deleted member

Smash 4... has I have no idea. The theme isn't nearly as dynamic or interesting as any of the others. The trumpets sound flaccid, and overall it doesn't inspire any intense emotions. It's not bad, but it doesn't get me pumped the way any of the others do.
The only version of Smash 4's theme that appeals to me is the Battlefield theme. Final Destination Ver. 2 isn't bad, but I prefer Brawl's and Giga Bowser to it.

Donavitch

Smash Rookie
The space between what you say and what you mean
I'm desensitized by leaks at this point, unless it's by someone with a respectable track record. The last thing we need is another ESRB situation with a disappointing final roster, or another Grinch Leak, with promising roster that ended up being fake.
Gotcha. I just try to see those so-called "leaks" as what they are - rumors. They may be true, they may be not, but they shouldn't limit our speculation so much.

I just wish that people would focus more on what they want, and what appeals to them, and what might be interesting, instead of debating ad nauseam what seems more likely when we have no reasonable way to predict these things in the first place.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At this point the hate for Smash 4 is so strong you'd want them to retcon it out of the series and make Ultimate the actual Smash 4.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Oh yeah, only problem is the non-spinoff divisions respect Camelot too much to want to do anything with him.
If it’s what the fans want then I don’t see why they can’t just let go of that stuff.
Also...why un-AT Knuckles and Shadow when you can allow the others to actually have a chance instead? And by others, I mean Sonic characters.
I didn’t, but others are un-ATing the Shadster just cause he’s Shadow and super cool. And I’m only kidding. If I were to choose characters to un-AT I would leave out Shadow and Knux for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom