• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
In my opinion, Smash 4's personality is more like "Hey, here's another Smash bros. with more characters/stages, it exists".
Frankly, that's kind of the issue Smash 4 has in hindsight, the split development between the 3DS and Wii U version left the game without the established identities that the previous three games had. With content split between the 2 games resulted in both games feeling a bit lighter then we were used to with Brawl and Melee. Mixed with with kind of poorly thought out ideas like Smash Tour, Master Orders, and the Equipment/Custom system didn't help matters either.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> Disney buying Nintendo

On one hand, we may get some nice Nintendo movies. I'd personally hope for an animated EarthBound movie, or of course a Smash Bros. movie.

On the other hand, they may try to take over some of the game development, and we'd end up with another Wreck-It Ralph situation if they can't get it in gear and go back to how it was with Incredibles, Wall-E and Ratatouille...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well since we're on the topic of Square reps, if you guys had to guess the 7 characters that Verge has heard, who would you pick? I want to get a better picture of who else people might expect besides the obvious choices.
Neku
Noctis
Geno
2B
Crono
Lara Croft
Bub & Bob

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is it just me or does Ultimate have more personality than Smash 4?
I'm not trying to knock Smash 4, but the mural and the classic mode screen give Ultimate a very nice "everyone is here" feeling.
Though considering that's the theme of the game I suppose it makes sense.
Nah Smash 4 had no 'personality'.

Smash 64 had the lore of toys fighting to escape the master (hand) with it having comic book imagery (box art, the entire intro, classic mode clear pictures)
Melee, admitedly, had no personality by itself but the adventure mode and increase in stage count made it the first smash to properly look like a Nintendo All-Star crossover.
Brawl had the Subspace and everything seeming "epic finale" from the music, the atmosphere, to the content it offered.
Ultimate is a tribute to the entire series and continues the lore they abandoned after Brawl.

Smash 4 recycled too much from Brawl whilst getting rid of the finer details that made it feel special. Smash 4 was essentially "yeah this is the series you like. Here's more stuff but also less stuff". It felt more like a routine rather than something made to stand out unlike past titles.

Ultimate started with a bang with the everyone is here to including fan favourites. Then it made two modes (Spirits and WoL) that try to mingle non-present characters into the mix whilst obviously showing tons of love doing so.

Smash 4 was a fun game but yeah, it didn't have "personality" as you put it. At least to me.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Frankly, that's kind of the issue Smash 4 has in hindsight, the split development between the 3DS and Wii U version left the game without the established identities that the previous three games had. With content split between the 2 games resulted in both games feeling a bit lighter then we were used to with Brawl and Melee. Mixed with with kind of poorly thought out ideas like Smash Tour, Master Orders, and the like didn't help matters either.
i mean... it still has more modes than ultimate seems to...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, the best part about World of Light for me right now is knowing what mode that picture of :ultlink::ultmarth::ultshulk: against Rathalos happened to be a part of.
With picture mode coming back, we could even put an assist trophy of Isaac there to complete the quartet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash 4's personality is "so you all think stories in fighting games are worthless, we agree, have fun playing this party game board".

At this stage, it's the awkward middle child of the series.

Ashley was my number 2 overall (number 1 after Ridley was confirmed) until she was deconfirmed. I never went too big into supporting her since I was trying to prepare for college at the time.

As for Waluigi, why not? He's the hunk of Nintendo after all. (If he only got his own game).
I'd sell my first born child to Nintendo for Waluigi to get a game.
I bet he'd only get a game after Smash gives him fame.

Huh. I actually didn't know Cooking Mama was under Square Enix.
Imagine if she was announced at the VGAs (That would be amazing).
Cooking Mama is 100% owned by Office Create now. Between them and IO Interactive, I wouldn't be surprised if Eidos and Crystal Dynamics will eventually leave the SE umbrella too.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
i mean... it still has more modes than ultimate seems to...
I would pose the quality over quantity question in regards to that. Outside of Smash Run, I don't think I did more then a handful of any other mode in Smash 4. While I can already see myself playing the modes provided in Ultimate far more just from the explanations they've given.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im pretty unsure about which characters will be in right now, but I think that's ok, and I'm excited to see what nintendo will end up picking

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I would pose the quality over quantity question in regards to that. Outside of Smash Run, I don't think I did more then a handful of any other mode in Samsh 4.
the spirit battles seem very bite sized, so there does need to be actual meat to the bone for it to be successful as content.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Im pretty unsure about which characters will be in right now, but I think that's ok, and I'm excited to see what nintendo will end up picking
Exactly. In spite of Verg's efforts, we still don't actually know who's coming next, THAT actually makes speculation exciting. What's the point of knowing it all otherwise, we'd be left twiddling with our thumbs until release.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright so after spending an inordinate amount of time going over Smash videos I can say that without a doubt the final smash meter is the absolute worst and I hate it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Haven't been on all day, what's new
People have gone from believing the Grinch to becoming the Grinch by denying Verg.

Alright so after spending an inordinate amount of time going over Smash videos I can say that without a doubt the final smash meter is the absolute worst and I hate it.
It's a casual option though, it's not bad at all.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
the spirit battles seem very bite sized, so there does need to be actual meat to the bone for it to be successful as content.
The Spirits mode is basically event matches that play into the adventure mode. In the long run it will probably depend on how the adventure mode is perceived whether Spirits will leave an impact

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Alright so after spending an inordinate amount of time going over Smash videos can I just say that the final smash meter is the absolute worst.
I agree with you on that. I find it to be an annoyance more than anything and the meter seems to fill up too quickly.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
The Spirits mode is basically event matches that play into the adventure mode. In the long run it will probably depend on how the adventure mode is perceived whether Spirits will leave an impact
again, with how spirits are just simply structured, there will need to be a lot of spirit fights in order to make them worthwhile

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest with you, I would much rather use plain old overpowered FSes. Wouldn't feel inclined to turn the meter on.

On that note, where can :ultrob:'s be seen? It sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Donavitch

Smash Rookie
The space between what you say and what you mean
I actually enjoy the fact that while we still don't know anything about the DLC, even the pseudo-psychological interpretations of Sakurai's wants and desires are now conjecture. It makes for an open playing field. It's nice, eh.

But hey, I fear it won't be long before people latch on to the next "leak" and discussions become incredibly narrow again.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Smash Run was great, too bad it didn't come back (at least it seems so far).
My favorite modes from all the Smash series are:

-Character specific break the target/board the platform
-Race to the Finish (Melee version)
-Melee's adventure mode
-Smash Run

I have never been a fan of the Subspace Emisssary, I didn't like that levels were generic instead of being in-universe with the represented series, like the regular stages or the platforming stages from the adventure mode in Melee, and also I think it was boring and repetitive, it felt like an uninspired Kirby game without the Kirby charm.
And while I like the idea of having a stage creator, I think it has always been executed horribly.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't think it was designed with serious use in mind frankly so it will likely be ignored where it matters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What's wrong with it?
Imagine a boxing match except boxers randomly shout out "I win" and the round ends.
It's awful.

I don't think it was designed with serious use in mind frankly so it will likely be ignored where it matters.
Oh for sure.
It's just for me, right now, watching these vids, it's super frustrating to see it over and over again.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
What's wrong with it?
I've been watching gameplay and I think the problem is it fills WAY too quickly. There's times where it's used like three times in one 2 minute match. It'd be better if the meter filled much slower.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
You’re given the chance to un-AT Knuckles to TRULY make this Super Smash Bros. & Knuckles yet you all choose Shadow anyway.

Don’t worry...he’s fine.

I bet he'd only get a game after Smash gives him fame.
He needs that extra push...an upgrade from party/sports spinoffs. New Wario Land with a Waluigi tag team. New Mario & Luigi with Wario and Waluigi in it. Can’t just spring a game on him all at once, you gotta level him up.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Nah Smash 4 had no 'personality'.

Smash 64 had the lore of toys fighting to escape the master (hand) with it having comic book imagery (box art, the entire intro, classic mode clear pictures)
Melee, admitedly, had no personality by itself but the adventure mode and increase in stage count made it the first smash to properly look like a Nintendo All-Star crossover.
Brawl had the Subspace and everything seeming "epic finale" from the music, the atmosphere, to the content it offered.
Ultimate is a tribute to the entire series and continues the lore they abandoned after Brawl.

Smash 4 recycled too much from Brawl whilst getting rid of the finer details that made it feel special. Smash 4 was essentially "yeah this is the series you like. Here's more stuff but also less stuff". It felt more like a routine rather than something made to stand out unlike past titles.

Ultimate started with a bang with the everyone is here to including fan favourites. Then it made two modes (Spirits and WoL) that try to mingle non-present characters into the mix whilst obviously showing tons of love doing so.

Smash 4 was a fun game but yeah, it didn't have "personality" as you put it. At least to me.
I guess these things are true, and I agree, but I was legit too distracted by Shulk/Lucina being in the game to notice them.
I did notice 4's soundtrack was a disappointment, however.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
In my opinion, Smash 4's personality is more like "Hey, here's another Smash bros. with more characters/stages, it exists".
That doesn't seem really any diffrent from the other games tbh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually enjoy the fact that while we still don't know anything about the DLC, even the pseudo-psychological interpretations of Sakurai's wants and desires are now conjecture. It makes for an open playing field. It's nice, eh.

But hey, I fear it won't be long before people latch on to the next "leak" and discussions become incredibly narrow again.
As long as it doesn't involve asinine packaging...

Smash Run was great, too bad it didn't come back (at least it seems so far).
My favorite modes from all the Smash series are:

-Character specific break the target/board the platform
-Race to the Finish (Melee version)
-Melee's adventure mode
-Smash Run

I have never been a fan of the Subspace Emisssary, I didn't like that levels were generic instead of being in-universe with the represented series, like the regular stages or the platforming stages from the adventure mode in Melee, and also I think it was boring and repetitive, it felt like an uninspired Kirby game without the Kirby charm.
And while I like the idea of having a stage creator, I think it has always been executed horribly.
I feel like trying to get fulfilling single-player content in Smash is the equivalent of Bubble Buddy's order in Spongebob.

You’re given the chance to un-AT Knuckles to TRULY make this Super Smash Bros. & Knuckles yet you all choose Shadow anyway.

Don’t worry...he’s fine.

He needs that extra push...an upgrade from party/sports spinoffs. New Wario Land with a Waluigi tag team. New Mario & Luigi with Wario and Waluigi in it. Can’t just spring a game on him all at once, you gotta level him up.
Oh yeah, only problem is the non-spinoff divisions respect Camelot too much to want to do anything with him.

Also...why un-AT Knuckles and Shadow when you can allow the others to actually have a chance instead? And by others, I mean Sonic characters.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Exactly. In spite of Verg's efforts, we still don't actually know who's coming next, THAT actually makes speculation exciting. What's the point of knowing it all otherwise, we'd be left twiddling with our thumbs until release.
I'm fine saying that an SE rep is likely. And I happen to like lots of SE has to offer too, so that's fun. Other than that, it's pretty open, and that's cool.
Even if some choices I dont like, it's fine, I just wont buy those :p

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
>TFW your Smash Ultimate Gamecube controller just arrived but can't open it until the game releases
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I've been watching gameplay and I think the problem is it fills WAY too quickly. There's times where it's used like three times in one 2 minute match. It'd be better if the meter filled much slower.
I really wish there is a way to tweak how fast it charges. That would really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom