• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

People have gone from believing the Grinch to becoming the Grinch by denying Verg.

It's a casual option though, it's not bad at all.
People have always denied Verge, let's be fair lol. Dude was right on every single thing he predicted and people still denied him. He didn't knw about K Rool, Chrom, or about every fighter returning, but he didn't deny it either. People think tat by not knowing that, he just got lucky by predicting Ridley, Snake & Ice climbers returning, Simon Belmont, Ken, Isabelle, and Incineroar. He was 7/7 with the information his sources gave him, but no, he totally guessed according to some people lol.

D

Deleted member

At this point the hate for Smash 4 is so strong you'd want them to retcon it out of the series and make Ultimate the actual Smash 4.
Smash 4 isn't bad, it's just kinda eh, especially when compared to Ultimate. It's the John Cena of the Smash games.

D

Deleted member

Wait, wasn't there supposed to be another Nintendo Direct like tomorrow or something?

D

Deleted member

We got some more like Masked Lumen, Werewolf, and that Bokoblin chief, so that's something
I'm still not fully sold on that because Lumen Sage would be way too hype and Death would make more sense as a second Castlevania boss(unless he's the third???).
I'm persinally hoping for updated Metal Face, ported over Black Knight as the smallest boss(he doesn't flinch unlike other assists as some pointed out) and mother****ing Arceus.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point the hate for Smash 4 is so strong you'd want them to retcon it out of the series and make Ultimate the actual Smash 4.
Dude, this happens every single Smash.
"Boy guys, the last Smash wasn't too great, but this one's gonna be a-MAZE-ing!~"

Bionichute

Smash Champion
This is just a random thought I had the other day.
What if there's one more assist trophy we haven't seen yet? We finished with 59 and there might be a 60th. I figured the reason we haven't seen it yet is because it would be unlocked by beating the story mode. What could it be? Since Rathalos is the "first" boss and assist trophy put together, I was thinking that there could be a possibility of Master Hand being an assist trophy that is unlocked through World of Light. We had unlockable assist trophies before so its not too far-fetched.

This is very unlikely but cool.
the 60th assist trophy was definitely supposed to be piranha plant

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm desensitized by leaks at this point, unless it's by someone with a respectable track record. The last thing we need is another ESRB situation with a disappointing final roster, or another Grinch Leak, with promising roster that ended up being fake.
SNAKE IS IN THIS GAME I CANNOT GRASP YOUR MINDSET HERE
IT'S ****ING SNAKE!!!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
"Boy guys, the last Smash wasn't too great, but this one's gonna be a-MAZE-ing!~"
It's the Smash cycle.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This. Legit the only one people continue to suck the teet of is Melee. I've never seen anyone speak ill of Melee and the moment someone does they get attacked.

Which is funny because it mightly actually be the one that when viewed without any sort of nostalgia or real fan bias has the most logical problems of any of the games in terms of balance, bugs, etc.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'm still not fully sold on that because Lumen Sage would be way too hype and Death would make more sense as a second Castlevania boss(unless he's the third???).
I'm persinally hoping for updated Metal Face, ported over Black Knight as the smallest boss(he doesn't flinch unlike other assists as some pointed out) and mother****ing Arceus.
im gonna bet every stage boss is gonna be in the mode because they're easy to reuse. black knight is probably a boss, and on that note if they don't make dr wily a boss whats even the point of having him here (not that i mind him being an assist but still)

D

Deleted member

Smash 4 will probably end up being my second favorite if Ultimate is as good as it seems right now. There are certain things I don't like about it (the main theme being one of them), but I've played it for 4 years now, and it's going to be a little sad to move on.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm desensitized by leaks at this point, unless it's by someone with a respectable track record. The last thing we need is another ESRB situation with a disappointing final roster, or another Grinch Leak, with promising roster that ended up being fake.
Bro, Snake, Ridley, K Rool, Inkling, Incineroar (i know it's an unpopular opinion but he's hype as hell).
This game is maximum hype.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Which is silly because Brawl still isn't all that great, from a competitive view at least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't ****in' know, guys.
I'm just answering a question.
lol alright, sorry; it was news to me, but with people still 'wondering' about it without any concrete announcement, it surprised me that it was even given any credible thought at this point unless it was just stealth-announced or something.

D

Deleted member

Ultimate's Roster, :ultsnake::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:, disaspointing?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Even Smash 4's theme is kind of dull and lifeless compared to all the others.

64 had a theme that incorporated the different series involved with a sense of whimsy that went with the toy theme.

Melee had an epic theme that makes it seem more grandiose. Instead of it being a bunch of toys fighting, it's a huge showdown with all these different characters.

Brawl had its amazing orchestra with Latin lyrics about great heroes and rivals banding together to save the world.

Smash 4... has I have no idea. The theme isn't nearly as dynamic or interesting as any of the others. The trumpets sound flaccid, and overall it doesn't inspire any intense emotions. It's not bad, but it doesn't get me pumped the way any of the others do.

Ultimate has a really powerful theme that communicates how all the characters are here, and then has a different remix with amazing lyrics that accompanies the story and scope of World of Light/Spirits.

While Smash 4 was helpful for us getting to Ultimate, it definitely doesn't have much of a lasting impact outside of its core gameplay.
I agree. The tone is as generic as Smash has been, making it kinda feel like the "New Super Mario Bros" of Smash. It just feels "safe", like it has a lot of fun characters and stages but outside of it theres very little ambition. Melee was quite a step up from 64, including many new characters, stages, modes and trophies in just one year of development. Brawl brought 3rd party characters and a story mode. But what does Smash for Wii U have to show for itself? A half baked mario party, and a butchered classic mode with no special minigames like targets. The name of the game even reflects it. Its Super Smash Bros... for Wii U. Doesnt sound exciting or leave an impact.

I may sound like Im just ****ting on it, but I enjoyed the game a lot (I wouldnt put thousands of hours into a game I dont like). But I do not see myself returning to play it at all once Ultimate comes out.

D

Deleted member

lol alright, sorry; it was news to me, but with people still 'wondering' about it without any concrete announcement, it surprised me that it was even given any credible thought at this point unless it was just stealth-announced or something.
Also, I didnt know a spontaneous drop of a direct was possible.
EDIT: Hmmm....didnt mean to quote myself; I meant to edit it and add it to the last reply. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This. Legit the only one people continue to suck the teet of is Melee. I've never seen anyone speak ill of Melee and the moment someone does they get attacked.

Which is funny because it mightly actually be the one that when viewed without any sort of nostalgia or real fan bias has the most logical problems of any of the games in terms of balance, bugs, etc.
I mean, I'm not Melee fan but it is pretty fun. Granted I wish it came out a year later or so, maybe get a better Wario moveset and a decloned Ganon.
But then we wouldn't have precious wavedashing probably I assume so :drflip: thats how the world works

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
It's the Smash cycle.
I never really felt like that going from Brawl to Smash 4 (of course, I don’t speak for everyone else) but this time it does feel like Smash 4 really was an inferior game compared to Ultimate, I mean that’s pretty obvious though.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, looks like Gaming Intel got the direct announcement wrong.

Legit not surprised though. Still salty they were wrong about the N64 mini last week.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Death, the Werewolf and some of the other enemies on the Castlevania stage were bosses in the mode. I'm not sure how they work on the actual stage, but they do already have the rights, models, and at least some unique animations done for all of them, so it would make sense to make use of those characters and make them bosses in the mode since the work is partially done. You could even do a boss rush in a similar fashion to Rondo of Blood with Shaft where you face off against each one before you get to the Lord of Darkness himself.

Same thing with bosses like Metal Face and Yellow Devil since they are fightable in their respective stages. I could also see Dr. Wily be similar to your Black Knight suggestion since he even has a unique losing animation.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I agree. The tone is as generic as Smash has been, making it kinda feel like the "New Super Mario Bros" of Smash. It just feels "safe", like it has a lot of fun characters and stages but outside of it theres very little ambition. Melee was quite a step up from 64, including many new characters, stages, modes and trophies in just one year of development. Brawl brought 3rd party characters and a story mode. But what does Smash for Wii U have to show for itself? A half baked mario party, and a butchered classic mode with no special minigames like targets. The name of the game even reflects it. Its Super Smash Bros... for Wii U. Doesnt sound exciting or leave an impact.

I may sound like Im just ****ting on it, but I enjoyed the game a lot (I wouldnt put thousands of hours into a game I dont like). But I do not see myself returning to play it at all once Ultimate comes out.
Wow. The Wii U really is the Charlie Brown of consoles. Even it’s smash is getting looked back on with a resounding “eh, it’s just not that great”. I personally love smash 4. I love the way it plays, I love the roster (the more third party reps the better IMO). The only think that would have made it better was Snake.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
There’s no denying Ultimate makes Smash 4 look like utter trash in comparison considering how stale and boring the latter is.

The only few remaining saving graces it has on it’s own are the load of newcomers we’ve gotten, introducing DLC, removed tripping, Smash Run, transformation Final Smashes and trophies.

On another note, considering how we saw the Ghiraham Spirit mission, I hope this means we can have more Assist Trophy based missions with killable ATs Waluigi, Krystal, Shovel Knight etc

Hey, if most of them couldn’t make to the roster then atleast we can atleast glance at them for more than 10 seconds.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
F-Zero but Sakurai's directing it and it's just Kirby Air Ride without the Kirby until DLC but don't tell anybody
So...the Death Race we have but with open world?

Yeah sure I'd take it. It would need good level design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom