• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
At this point I HIGHLY doubt a LGPE direct. They've basically shown all there is to show about that game already.

Also I don't see them announcing Gen 8 so early.

I can see a general one with stuff like FE Three Houses gameplay, Star Fox Grand Prix, N64 Classic, stuff like that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Using a site like 2chan to base ones assumptions on the fan base is like using a site like 4chan...

My head hurts.

****posting is apart of the internet global culture. That’s how things are.

Anyways, my huge thing (gripe) about DLC speculation is that Fighter Packs includes a fighter, a stage, and musical track(s). To me, that certainly eliminates certain characters that I think don’t fit that bill. King K Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, and even Incineror didn’t get any represented stages. The first three I understand but it’s crazy to think S/M didn’t get a stage. Especially considering SMO and BotW did.

I’m not one to kill fans hype and I encourage them continue discussing their favorite characters but the DLC packs, in my opinion, was the death of many potential newcomers. Namely (them being Spirits doesn’t concern me)

Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Impa
Viridi
Medusa
Any FE rep before the three houses game
Any Pokémon rep
Black Shadow
Tails
Actually, any character from a pre-existing franchise.

I can’t find in any justification that K Rool, Ridley, or Incineror didn’t get a stage (Gang Plank Galleon, Ridley’s Lair, S/M stage) as well music but the aforementioned characters do. It just doesn’t sit right with me and something I don’t see happening.

In addition, and this is just my own opinion and speculation, but Ultimate has a total of two new series: Splatoon and Castlevania. That’s small compared to 4 which totaled to 11 (counting Miis and Animal Crossing).

Finally, we are getting music for the DLC packs and, despite being a Dixie supporter since I came here, I can’t pick a stage and music tracks that does Dixie Kong justice yet justify her needing to have her own DLC pack. Same goes with other characters I support.

This leads me to think that at least some of DLC packs will in fact consist of franchises yet to have a playable rep.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Which fanbase?

Both the KH and Smash fanbase seem pretty good all things considered.
I’ve seen Sora be a source of some controversy in Smash discussion. Not major, but some. I think it’s because KH is seen as “cringy” or they don’t want the door opened (heh) to non-vidya characters (even though I doubt it would).

I’m personally fine with him, but y’know, anime swordsmen.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have an idea! Let's predict main stereotypes for the Newcomers (Including echoes in Ultimate):

Here's mine!:
Richter: These guys are pretty similar to For Glory links (Spam specials, and zoning capabilities to the point of dull annoyance), but the difference is they're more aggressive about it due to their aerials having that long reach.

Simon: Kind of similar to Richter mains, but are usually more experienced.
Incineroar: Noobs keep accidentally self-destructing online, thanks to Cross Chop, giving them the nickname, Incinenoobs

Noipoi

Howdy!
At this point I HIGHLY doubt a LGPE direct. They've basically shown all there is to show about that game already.

I can see a general one with stuff like FE Three Houses gameplay, Star Fox Grand Prix, N64 Classic, stuff like that.
They could still show Saffron city, Cinnabar Island, etc. But I don't think that'll warrant a whole direct.
Especially cuz the game's out in two weeks (thank god).

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Using a site like 2chan to base ones assumptions on the fan base is like using a site like 4chan...

My head hurts.

****posting is apart of the internet global culture. That’s how things are.

Anyways, my huge thing (gripe) about DLC speculation is that Fighter Packs includes a fighter, a stage, and musical track(s). To me, that certainly eliminates certain characters that I think don’t fit that bill. King K Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, and even Incineror didn’t get any represented stages. The first three I understand but it’s crazy to think S/M didn’t get a stage. Especially considering SMO and BotW did.

I’m not one to kill fans hype and I encourage them continue discussing their favorite characters but the DLC packs, in my opinion, was the death of many potential newcomers. Namely (them being Spirits doesn’t concern me)

Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Impa
Viridi
Medusa
Any FE rep before the three houses game
Any Pokémon rep
Black Shadow
Tails
Actually, any character from a pre-existing franchise.

I can’t find in any justification that K Rool, Ridley, or Incineror didn’t get a stage (Gang Plank Galleon, Ridley’s Lair, S/M stage) as well music but the aforementioned characters do. It just doesn’t sit right with me and something I don’t see happening.

In addition, and this is just my own opinion and speculation, but Ultimate has a total of two new series: Splatoon and Castlevania. That’s small compared to 4 which totaled to 11 (counting Miis and Animal Crossing).

This leads me to think that at least some of DLC packs will in fact consist of franchises yet to have a playable rep.
I think Banjo-Kazooie has a decent shot at DLC. I really do. For this very reason. Like, I know he's Microsoft or whatever but if there's a character I can see 1. surprise a lot of people 2. be a fan favorite and 3. get a character, stage, and music tracks it's that Bear and Bird.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Isn't half of Jiggs' reasoning for getting in relevance/popularity in the anime though?

Laughs in Three Houses
Hey, you had 4 months of waiting
I've had tweeeeelve.

any ideas on the dlc guys ?
Yes, in fact.

In fact, IT'S THE ONLY THING WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR THE PAST WEEK.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I hope Sora really is announced at VGA if he’s DLC. The fanbase could use the uplifting news right now.

Though Sora is sorta controversial in Smash for reasons I’m not sure about so maybe not.
I think Sora would make the community self implode for a day lol. Now on the whole controversy side of things from what I've seen it stems from people making a **** ton of assumptions instead of looking for proof only to get pissy when people call them out on their BS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have an idea! Let's predict main stereotypes for the Newcomers (Including echoes in Ultimate):

Here's mine!:
Richter: These guys are pretty similar to For Glory links (Spam specials, and zoning capabilities to the point of dull annoyance), but the difference is they're more aggressive about it due to their aerials having that long reach.

:ultinkling:: No one will refill their ink tanks after spamming Splat Bomb and Roller.
:ultridley:: As Noipoi said, probably down b spam.
:ultkrool:: Counter spam.
:ultisabelle:: Side B and down B spam.

Potato_

Smash Lord
:ultinkling:: No one will refill their ink tanks after spamming Splat Bomb and Roller.
:ultridley:: As Noipoi said, probably down b spam.
:ultkrool:: Counter spam.
:ultisabelle:: Side B and down B spam.
This one especially. Really feel like Isabelle is going to be the new campy spam character online, replacing Link and Samus.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Sora would make the community self implode for a day lol. Now on the whole controversy side of things from what I've seen it stems about people making a **** ton of assumptions instead of looking for proof only to get pissy when people call them out on their BS.
I think it would be like Cloud. A lot of elation with some confusion and anger. Like Cloud and Snake, Sora is a genuine Sony icon and would help make the game feel like a real “worlds collide” scenario rather than Mega Man or Simon Belmont who are mostly known for their Nintendo history.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think Banjo-Kazooie has a decent shot at DLC. I really do. For this very reason. Like, I know he's Microsoft or whatever but if there's a character I can see 1. surprise a lot of people 2. be a fan favorite and 3. get a character, stage, and music tracks it's that Bear and Bird.
3rd party reps have an excellent chance at being DLC. They bring hype, they bring new and fresh content, and they bring a playable character.

Impa brings....Impa...and Impa music. And Impa...stage.

We have OoT music. We have SS music. We have BotW music.

We don’t have Hyrule Warriors music or a stage and I suppose they could draw from that but that’s not really a big enough reason.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hey, you had 4 months of waiting
I've had tweeeeelve.
Three Houses was announced as "FE Switch" back in January 2017. Absolutely nothing until E3 2018. At this point, I don't expect anything about it marketing wise other than a trailer in a General Direct and a few Twitter posts a few weeks before release.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Here's mine!:

I hope the For Glory Little Macs return just for the sake of nostalgia. We need everyone here.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
world of light but it's ending has kirby failing tonstop the villain

SO PIRANHA PLANT AND OTHER DLC CHARACTERS HAVE TO FINISH THE FIGHT

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I still think the DLC characters will be :

Sora
Steve (I’d rather have Banjo)
Katalina
Rayman
Elma (Sakurai loves his Xenoblade)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also it's a ****ing crime how few people know of K. Rool's Acid Punk. It's as much of a banger as Gang-Plank Galleon in my opinion.
The Donkey Kong Land variation of Gang-Plank Galleon is my favourite version of the song.

I never really liked the genre shift the Donkey Kong Country version had.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

hot take
The lets go games dont deserve a direct

D

Deleted member

How would you feel if something like this happened in World of Light?
Depression.

But then I'll be happy as I realize you can equip her Spirit to Inkling once you unlock her and have her aid Inkling during Spirit Battles! :D

Sysreq

Smash Ace
New here, but I'd like to speculate on the Square rep. My personal opinion is that Yuna from Final Fantasy X could be a possibility. While she may be another FF rep, she's a well-known character both in Japan and the West (FF X was super popular), would have a cool moveset, and could be used to market the FF ports that will be coming to the Switch sometime next year. You could argue "Well why not Tidus?" Well, **** Tidus. We already have a blond, sword-wielding FF protag. Give me something else.

As for other DLC characters, I'm of the opinion that they will mostly be third party since Smash 4's unique fighter DLC was mostly third party. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were old fighters.

If I were to guess, I'd say: Banjo-Kazooie (I'm living in denial of Steve, okay), Catalina, Yuna, Lloyd Irving (Bamco hasn't gotten their dues yet), and a 1st party. I'd like to say Rex and Pyra if the costume doesn't deconfirm them. Otherwise, idk, Elma or new FE girl. I want Shantae so bad but I know she's out of the running.

Shroob

Sup?
Why are we believing these guys again?

We're they the ones who said "Incineroar is NOT in the Direct and Nintendo would show the N64 Mini"?

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be like Cloud. A lot of elation with some confusion and anger. Like Cloud and Snake, Sora is a genuine Sony icon and would help make the game feel like a real “worlds collide” scenario rather than Mega Man or Simon Belmont who are mostly known for their Nintendo history.
Idk it's hard to call Sora a "sony icon" cause he's a third party but if we're talking about kh one and two than I see what you mean. Hell since we're on the sony icon thing I feel like jak and daxter as well as sly cooper and Ratchet and Clank would make perfect Smash reps.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Why are we believing these guys again?

We're they the ones who said "Incineroar is NOT in the Direct and Nintendo would show the N64 Mini"?
To be fair, that was just one bad source, and they have been right before...
Even Verge had some bad sources
Remember when Phoenix Wright and Zero were supposed to be playable?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom