• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Idk it's hard to call Sora a "sony icon" cause he's a third party but if we're talking about kh one and two than I see what you mean. Hell since we're on the sony icon thing I feel like jak and daxter as well as sly cooper and Ratchet and Clank would make perfect Smash reps.
When I say “Sony icon” that just means a character heavily associated with the PlayStation. Sora falls under that umbrella along with Snake and Cloud. The PS All Stars memes would only intensify.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Idk it's hard to call Sora a "sony icon" cause he's a third party but if we're talking about kh one and two than I see what you mean. Hell since we're on the sony icon thing I feel like jak and daxter as well as sly cooper and Ratchet and Clank would make perfect Smash reps.
The only Sony rep we need is Parappa...
Prove me wrong...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
To be fair, that was just one bad source, and they have been right before...
Even Verge had some bad sources
Remember when Phoenix Wright and Zero were going to be playable?
That was a pretty bad source considering just about every single insider was saying Incineroar was for sure in. That was like the one thing they all agreed on.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
New here, but I'd like to speculate on the Square rep. My personal opinion is that Yuna from Final Fantasy X could be a possibility. While she may be another FF rep, she's a well-known character both in Japan and the West (FF X was super popular), would have a cool moveset, and could be used to market the FF ports that will be coming to the Switch sometime next year. You could argue "Well why not Tidus?" Well, **** Tidus. We already have a blond, sword-wielding FF protag. Give me something else.

As for other DLC characters, I'm of the opinion that they will mostly be third party since Smash 4's unique fighter DLC was mostly third party. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were old fighters.

If I were to guess, I'd say: Banjo-Kazooie (I'm living in denial of Steve, okay), Catalina, Yuna, Lloyd Irving (Bamco hasn't gotten their dues yet), and a 1st party. I'd like to say Rex and Pyra if the costume doesn't deconfirm them. Otherwise, idk, Elma or new FE girl. I want Shantae so bad but I know she's out of the running.

As much as I love me some FFX and the tears it brought me as a child, I would much rather prefer Terra over Yuna. Terra is an actual main protagonist not mention magic sword user with the capability to summon. Plus, her Final Smash could make her go full Esper.

Still though, I do admit seeing Yuna alts incorporating her dress spheres makes me beyond happy.

Welcome to Smashboards!

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
New here, but I'd like to speculate on the Square rep. My personal opinion is that Yuna from Final Fantasy X could be a possibility. While she may be another FF rep, she's a well-known character both in Japan and the West (FF X was super popular), would have a cool moveset, and could be used to market the FF ports that will be coming to the Switch sometime next year. You could argue "Well why not Tidus?" Well, **** Tidus. We already have a blond, sword-wielding FF protag. Give me something else.

As for other DLC characters, I'm of the opinion that they will mostly be third party since Smash 4's unique fighter DLC was mostly third party. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were old fighters.

If I were to guess, I'd say: Banjo-Kazooie (I'm living in denial of Steve, okay), Catalina, Yuna, Lloyd Irving (Bamco hasn't gotten their dues yet), and a 1st party. I'd like to say Rex and Pyra if the costume doesn't deconfirm them. Otherwise, idk, Elma or new FE girl. I want Shantae so bad but I know she's out of the running.
Welcome to the board... Have fun...

Noipoi

Howdy!

Howdy! Folks call me Noipoi! Welcome to the boards!

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Just in case someone questions of something like my dream character (Which is a Mook).
"Why would you want to have a literal enemy character as opposed to someone that's actually deserving?"

Simple, because I want to kick ass with a literal nobody. I mean think about look at most protagonists in Fire Emblem for example, most of them (Barring Ike) are colorful, unique looking, fantasized people who would look like someone we look upon. Now look at the generic units, they're characters who don't have actual names, ones that we never think twice about, ones we look down upon, ones that even the playable units themselves don't think twice about it. SO by having that freaking realistic looking mook from an anime looking fantasy series as a playable character, it gives me the change to beat those multicolored character tropes, and make them think twice.

TL:DR: I just like underdogs a lot.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Hi welcome!!! :yoshi:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Welcome to the forums!

Anyways, I believe that if we get another Final Fantasy rep it's likely going to be Terra or Bartz based on their affiliation with Nintendo and classic Final Fantasy. Sakurai even mentioned them as potential candidates in the Cloud interview.

Of course, the Square Enix rep is likely going to be Sora or a Dragon Quest Rep, with Lara Croft being the dark horse pick.

I'm sticking with my guns:
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving/Heihachi/KOS-MOS
  • Steve/Banjo & Kazooie
  • Leon Kennedy/Phoenix Wright
  • Sega Rep (Joker/Yu Narukami) or Bethesda Rep (DOOM Slayer)
  • Katalina (as a standalone DLC character to either end off DLC or begin Season 2)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Potential guesses for DLC characters...

Monster Hunter
Sora
Steve
Banjo
Heihachi
Lloyd
Jill Valentine
Katalina?
Chorus Kids
Geno
Elma (This one I'm most unsure on)

I'm pretty confident that we will only get new series and that most of the characters will be from third parties.

That said, the only first party franchise that seems to work anymore is Rhythm Heaven. All other notable Nintendo franchises either were too late and/or were assist trophied.

Elma is only an outlier due to the strange lack of XCX content and the fact that Sakurai apologized about Rex. Seems like he feels he may have picked a Xenoblade character too early. Still not confident on her.

Last edited:

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
DLC:
1: Sora or Dragon Quest Hero (or Geno, who is unfortunately least likely)
2: Heihachi or another Bandai Namco rep
3: Rayman or another Ubisoft rep
4: Minecraft Steve
5: Banjo & Kazooie

The order inevitably will be mostly unpredictable (as Sakurai tends to be), but I feel that if these specific characters were to happen, Square Enix will start us off (Spawnwave + Vergeben) and Banjo will end us. Perfect, hype-worthy endcaps that will make tons of money.

Square Enix feels certain.

I'd be surprised if Bandai-Namco didn't try to get even one character into the game.

Ubisoft has obviously been a close ally this generation and managed to get a Rabbid in as a sticker. If they are going to get in contact over Smash, you think they'd at least consider Rayman (or another character). As much as Nintendo trusts Ubisoft and rewards them for their strong relationship, it'd be bizarre to go another game without them getting a representative.

Minecraft Steve seems certain (considering Vergeben claims there will be Minecraft content in the game and that only seems possible through DLC, which only seems possible with a DLC character combination).

If they are getting Steve, why not at least discuss Banjo? (Yes, you'd think that point would work with Geno too, but alas, Geno is sadly much more irrelevant and unknown than Banjo.)

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My thoughts on DLC...

I dunno. I was pretty spot on with Smash 4 DLC, I called Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo but I couldn't have seen the new characters coming. I think that might be happening here as well. I could tell you what I would like for DLC, though. That I can do.

Season 1:
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rayman
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Geno
Echo Season:
  • Shadow
  • Big Boss
  • Dixie Kong
  • Zack Fair
  • Ninten
Season 2:
  • Isaac
  • Lyn
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Takamaru
Like, I'm not ignorant enough to think that any of this would ever happen because, well, it's all pipe dreams. I do really hope Sakurai goes beyond 1 Season though. Really bad. I want to be looking forward to stuff in this game for years to come. I also really hope Sakurai breaks the rule that Assists can't become playable in the same game. It would put me over the moon if any of those came true in a theoretical Season 2. Especially Isaac. He and Banjo are my last two characters I really really want in Smash. Geno, Saki, Hayabusa, and Rayman would also be beyond incredible.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
For DLC I haven't seen anyone mentioning Miles Prower. It seems odd that Shadow wasn't included as an echo when it would have been very easy to do. Of all the third parties in Smash, Sonic seems like the one that would most likely get a second character. So I think its very possible they planned to put in Tails as DLC, and didn't put in Shadow because they thought 3 characters were to much.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh gosh.

Saki is a no show after two AT appearances.

A Sin and Punishment character would be super wacky.
Yo the Advance Wars AT got cut and Andy is no where to be found in Spirits.

I'm just saying dude. :)

D

Deleted member

If Final Fantasy is getting another character, I'm putting my money on Noctis.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yo the Advance Wars AT got cut and Andy is no where to be found in Spirits.

I'm just saying dude. :)
I'd be hype.

But unfortunately, I have no confidence in Advance Wars content.

Iridium

Smash Hero
My thoughts on DLC...

I dunno. I was pretty spot on with Smash 4 DLC, I called Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo but I couldn't have seen the new characters coming. I think that might be happening here as well. I could tell you what I would like for DLC, though. That I can do.

Season 1:
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rayman
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Geno
Echo Season:
  • Shadow
  • Big Boss
  • Dixie Kong
  • Zack Fair
  • Ninten
Season 2:
  • Isaac
  • Lyn
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Takamaru
Like, I'm not ignorant enough to think that any of this would ever happen because, well, it's all pipe dreams. I do really hope Sakurai goes beyond 1 Season though. Really bad. I want to be looking forward to stuff in this game for years to come. I also really hope Sakurai breaks the rule that Assists can't become playable in the same game. It would put me over the moon if any of those came true in a theoretical Season 2. Especially Isaac. He and Banjo are my last two characters I really really want in Smash. Geno, Saki, Hayabusa, and Rayman would also be beyond incredible.
I don't see much talk on Saki Amamiya nowadays...

I'd still say he has a shot, for a Mii Costume and Spirit can't really deconfirm him. His playstyle would really make me want him badly.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
My thoughts on DLC...

Season 1:
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rayman
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Geno
Echo Season:
  • Shadow
  • Big Boss
  • Dixie Kong
  • Zack Fair
  • Ninten
Season 2:
  • Isaac
  • Lyn
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Takamaru
I don’t think the rule that assists can’t become playable is a thing. I just think he puts preference on other characters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd be hype.

But unfortunately, I have no confidence in Advance Wars content.
Well I mean I doubt the Infantry & Tanks disappearing means nothing. I theorized that Andy might have been cut from development. Because that's the easiest AT to port over from Wii U.

There's just a lot of things fishy about the situation. Of course it doesn't have to mean he's DLC.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My guesses

1. Geno, DQ Create-A-Hero
  2. Mametchi, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi
  3. Ryu Hayabusa
  4. Impa
  5. Katalina
If i'm wrong on the time line im in then it could also be this

1. Sora
  2. Banjo Kazooie
  3. Rayman
  4. Crash
  5. Earthworm Jim

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it wrong that whenever someone brings up the idea of a new FF character I don't think of Sephiroth or Tifa, I think of a Chocobo?
That'd be the best timeline. A good runner up would be Vivi.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Personally the characters I want for DLC are:

1. A Toukiden character like the Professor (I think the mechanics from Toukiden 2, the rifle with it's ammunition and spirits would make him/her unique in Smash)
2. Ayumi Tachibana (The Schoolgirl trope would be fitting for a series like Smash)
3. Sakura/Troubador (Fire Emblem Fates design) (I am a sucker for mooks and like Sakura as well)
4. A Danganronpa Rep. (Class trial/Despair debuff mechanics would be interesting).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don’t think the rule that assists can’t become playable is a thing. I just think he puts preference on other characters
Rule
Preferences
Trends
Patterns

Whatever you wanna call it.
Sakurai hasn't done it for ten years, and considering it's definitely not going to happen with S1 DLC, it's probably not going to do it, EVER.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if Sakurai decides to head up a Sin and Punishment sequel and we get Saki as a promotional character before that similar to how we got Pit in Brawl?

I can dream, right?

Potato_

Smash Lord
Rule
Preferences
Trends
Patterns

Sakurai hasn't done it for ten years, and considering it's definitely not going to happen with S1 DLC, it's probably not going to do it, EVER.
I mean I don't think you can say he hasn't done it for 10 years when DLC has only been around for Smash 4.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Rule
Preferences
Trends
Patterns

Goddamn I've never hoped you were wrong before, Idon, but goddamn I hope you're ****ing wrong about this one. Just one time, please.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Is it wrong that whenever someone brings up the idea of a new FF character I don't think of Sephiroth or Tifa, I think of a Chocobo?
Chocobo would be pretty awesome.
But think if we do get another FF Rep (which I highly doubt), it'll still be someone from FF7. Tifa is my guess, since Sephiroth may be better suited for a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom