• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My DLC predictions:
NOTE: SPIRITS DO NOT DISCONFIRM
1. Bandana Dee
2. Shantae
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Geno
5. Crash Bandicoot

Wants: Xurkitree (probably not gonna happen)
Reaper: (even less chance than Xurkitree)
Banjo: Lock for DLC
Crash: Likely for DLC
Shantae: Lock for DLC
Uh... might i ask? How is Shantae is a lock...
If the king of Nindies, himself can only become an assist trophy, what makes you think Shantae has a chance?
No one is a lock...
We will just have to wait and see

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I do hope all DLC characters are shown, but that’s unlikely.

What personality does Mario have compared to Steve? Some say Mario has the personality of a cardboard box, but meh, I am sure he has some personality to begin with.
Top bait, bro.
Geno Laugh.gif

If you're being serious, though, Mario is a cheerful, energetic adult, who even in dire times, won't let a day pass without a smile crossing his face, and he's forgiving even to his greatest rival. He's heroic but fun loving, sometimes getting sidetracked during his journeys to just have a good time. Any adventure he goes on is to help others out, not to gain his own reward-
You won, I actually went for the bait. Ah well. In case anyone does actually believe Mario has no personality and could be placed down with the likes of Steve as far as his character goes, I made some points defending the great guy.

(EDIT: Got the gif working.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know how to feel about Dragon Quest content as the composer for like all the songs in the franchise is a raging homophobe and he owns the rights lime Uematsu does for the Final Fantasy songs, meaning he'd be getting royalties from my pocket and I don't want that

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Top bait, bro.
View attachment 175604
If you're being serious, though, Mario is a cheerful, energetic adult, who even in dire times, won't let a day pass without a smile crossing his face, and he's forgiving even to his greatest rival. He's heroic but fun loving, sometimes getting sidetracked during his journeys to just have a good time. Any adventure he goes on is to help others out, not to gain his own reward-
You won, I actually went for the bait. Ah well. In case anyone does actually believe Mario has no personality and could be placed down with the likes of Steve as far as his character goes, I made some points defending the great guy.
Not trying to bait anyone here, I was just asking. But I did believe he had personality based on what you said.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
My DLC predictions:

1. Medusa
2. Dixie
3. Elma
4. Geno
5. Steve

Wants: Mathew from Golden Sun, but idk..

They are just guesses, although Im going for them all to be a lock for dlc.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to bait anyone here, I was just asking. But I did believe he had personality based on what you said.
Alright, sorry for making the assumption. Just seems crazy to see the personalities of Mario and Steve being compared.

(EDIT: End bit fixed up.)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just gotta say. I think Golden Sun fans are going insane. I mean, they're asking for Matthew. Felix is RIGHT there and is actually cool unlike Matthew.
Probably because Matthew's design is like Isaac but better.

TeamFlareZakk

I just gotta say. I think Golden Sun fans are going insane. I mean, they're asking for Matthew. Felix is RIGHT there and is actually cool unlike Matthew.
If I could pick ANY character from Golden Sun, I would pick Agatio.. He would be so top tier with his powerful Stun Muscle that would cause paralysis and Rising Dragon combo... Oh and those powerful Rolling Flame fists!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Going insane? Not picking on them when I say this, but I think they already are insane, no offense to them, since not all of them are crazy.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Only problem with Dragon Quest is wouldnt Sakurai have to get some sort of approval from Akira Toriyama?
I don't know, depends on if they use original designs or recycle ones from other games. Depends on licensing and agreements as well. I'm not privy to any of that.

I'm sure some of the assets arent designed by AT. A lot of them probably just influenced by or borrow his style. Like the guy who does the DBSuper Manga.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright, sorry for making the assumption. Just seems crazy to see the personalities of Mario and Steve being compared. Also, not sure why the attachment didn't work. It was just a picture of Geno laughing.
Well, heh heh. Apology accepted, but I guess it really was a crazy comparison, then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I am firmly of the belief that BWD is a hat goomba. Others may not think so, thats fine. To each their own.

I don't think saying "if PP got in then anyone can" because PP is clearly an outlier and any inclusion similar to PP in the future would also be an outlier. Its still extremely unlikely to be included in the same fashion PP was. However if someone wants to grasp that possibility, I hope they do. Thats what rooting for the underdog is for. I love an underdog story. I just don't think theyre likely or reasonable to expect often.
And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

However, I don't think it's really fair to compare BWD to PP. Even if you think both are generic enemies, one has a full moveset mapped out for them, while the other is someone you'd never expect in a fighting game period. Seeing BWD get in Smash might suprise a few people who didn't believe in him, but I don't think it would be anywhere close to the equivalent of PP. He has both the popularity and moveset potential to make his inclusion understandable, regardless of whether or not he's seen as generic.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I think that's probably what their aiming for, yeah, but the hair really isn't crimson enough. It's more of a light brown. The armor is the same way. Maybe it's just because of the lighting on the video though I dunno.

Short answer: yeah, mostly.
Interestingly, I found this on Reddit:

We...can actually "play" as more Belmonts than I was expecting. Soma Cruz is great, too.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
How protective of Granblue's music is Uematsu? Cloud only has 2 tracks but he's probably far more protective there.

TeamFlareZakk

We...can actually "play" as more Belmonts than I was expecting. Soma Cruz is great, too.
More looking forward to Richtor tbh..

Oh check out Shulk's updated palette swaps, now the Sharla one I use has black hair.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Yikes, what's up with Simon in the Dracula's Curse boxart.
Nice inclusions though: it's kind of like how you can technically 'play' as every Pokemon protagonist via palette swaps.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

However, I don't think it's really fair to compare BWD to PP. Even if you think both are generic enemies, one has a full moveset mapped out for them, while the other is someone you'd never expect in a fighting game period. Seeing BWD get in Smash might suprise a few people who didn't believe in him, but I don't think it would be anywhere close to the equivalent of PP. He has both the popularity and moveset potential to make his inclusion understandable, regardless of whether or not he's seen as generic.
To be fair, I wasnt the one making the inital comparison to BWD and PP.

People are saying it kills the hat goomba arguement "if this plant goomba made it, then this hat goomba can"

I feel like by saying PP's inclusion defeats the hat goomba argument... Is by extension comparing the two.

Which I mean is correct... In that yes they are both Goomba's... But wrong in that clearly we arent going to get a multitude of goombas.

People are inadvertly drawing comparisons to the two regardless of their opinion on it.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yikes, what's up with Simon in the Dracula's Curse boxart.
Nice inclusions though: it's kind of like how you can technically 'play' as every Pokemon protagonist via palette swaps.
That's not Simon...

TeamFlareZakk

Hulk Freaken Hogan colors!! Whatcha gonna do when IncineroarMania runs wild on you brother?!!
Incineroar 7.png

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't know how to feel about Dragon Quest content as the composer for like all the songs in the franchise is a raging homophobe and he owns the rights lime Uematsu does for the Final Fantasy songs, meaning he'd be getting royalties from my pocket and I don't want that
Don't forget he's incredibly sexist and is a Japanese equivalent of a Holocaust denier!

Iridium

Smash Hero
Tbh I know next to nothing about Castlevania - apparently it's Trevor (?) but he does kinda look like Simon
Yeah, Simon is a descendant of him, and this game takes place before any events with him.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Ok... Hulkamania and Big the Cat colors redeem him quite a bit for me. (Huk Hogan spirit battle vs this :ultincineroar: in world of light confirmed!?)
And he has a black and white one for nWo and a green one for DX, Incineroar is ready to rumble! #SoIconic

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Very highly requested, easy to implement, very easy negotiation with Microsoft/Rare with Phil Spencer wanting him in, OG character on the Nintendo 64.
Shadow and Issac were also locks...and look at where they are right now

That is pretty good
Hulk Freaken Hogan colors!! Whatcha gonna do when IncineroarMania runs wild on you brother?!!
View attachment 175614
Be a racist, try to seal someone’s woman, use higher power to get his way, pretend to be sympathetic, and go To Saudi Arabia...brother
Ba Bawd! Thats gotta be Inciner Kane!
View attachment 175615
Mayor Kane looks more hairy

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna say this: DLC won't go any different than base game did in regards to these boards and other forums most wanted.
Smash isn't a line where as soon as a chatlracter gets in, the next one steps forward. Ultimate gave the two most wanted characters in this site, Ridley and K.Rool, not to mention all the other popilar characters such as Simon, Chrom and Dark Samus.
Isaac, Banjo and Skull Kid were never going to happen in this game because they only came into the spotlight after those two were out of the way. Those characters only became really wanted AFTER the roster had been long decided, before then, they couldn't match the big 2 in request and demand.
This is why the "oh we gotta find a new Big 3" mentality after the August Direct was so harmful to speculation, because the roster is not decided in real time like most seem to think, and even if it was, Sakurai can't keep adding the most requested in some online forum forever.

With the knowledge that DLC was decided alongside the base roster, it's pretty clear the philosophy to it will be similar. Though going by Smash 4's DLC, it might be more focused on 3rd Parties, with one or two 1st Parties. I really think Geno is the only character that was heavily speculated this time around who has a chance of making it in, and that's because of Sakurai's comments and SE seemingly preferring DLC(I wonder how hard it was to get Cloud into the base game this time around).
Other than him, we'll get Katalina and Steve and ya'll better like it.

Please tell me there's an Alucard skin for Richter

TeamFlareZakk

Shadow and Issac were also locks...and look at where they are right now

That is pretty good

Be a racist, try to seal someone’s woman, use higher power to get his way, pretend to be sympathetic, and go To Saudi Arabia...brother

Mayor Kane looks more hairy
Incineroar for me is even more hype because of the whole wrestling gimmick, he is so #Iconic. ;)

Iridium

Smash Hero
On the topic of Incineroar, I remember posting this earlier:

If Incineroar's alts happened to all be based on Japanese wrestlers, then props to Sakurai for his attention to detail.

beans

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say this: DLC won't go any different than base game did in regards to these boards and other forums most wanted.
Smash isn't a line where as soon as a chatlracter gets in, the next one steps forward. Ultimate gave the two most wanted characters in this site, Ridley and K.Rool, not to mention all the other popilar characters such as Simon, Chrom and Dark Samus.
Isaac, Banjo and Skull Kid were never going to happen in this game because they only came into the spotlight after those two were out of the way. Those characters only became really wanted AFTER the roster had been long decided, before then, they couldn't match the big 2 in request and demand.
This is why the "oh we gotta find a new Big 3" mentality after the August Direct was so harmful to speculation, because the roster is not decided in real time like most seem to think, and even if it was, Sakurai can't keep adding the most requested in some online forum forever.

With the knowledge that DLC was decided alongside the base roster, it's pretty clear the philosophy to it will be similar. Though going by Smash 4's DLC, it might be more focused on 3rd Parties, with one or two 1st Parties. I really think Geno is the only character that was heavily speculated this time around who has a chance of making it in, and that's because of Sakurai's comments and SE seemingly preferring DLC(I wonder how hard it was to get Cloud into the base game this time around).
Other than him, we'll get Katalina and Steve and ya'll better like it.

Please tell me there's an Alucard skin for Richter
No, but theres is one of Arikado.
https://i.imgur.com/naYgTXc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom