• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I kind of wish I chose Litten in Moon, and avoided the leak scene. I know that next time around I won't be following any leaks. I'm just glad I didn't have Ridley spoiled! He's my favourite newcomer so far, and unless they add Mach Rider or Banjo-Kazooie, I think he'll keep that title.

D

Deleted member

I kind of wish I chose Litten in Moon, and avoided the leak scene. I know that next time around I won't be following any leaks. I'm just glad I didn't have Ridley spoiled! He's my favourite newcomer so far, and unless they add Mach Rider or Banjo-Kazooie, I think he'll keep that title.
I am happy with every newcomer except the Plant.
I like every mode showcased and the Mii customization too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@NineS

No bother at all! The long and short of it is when I was much younger and bright-eyed/bushy-tailed about the Internet, I didn't know that a forum signature was something that you could set to appear under every single post. I wasn't even aware that you could put pictures there! So I appended every post with my tag/user name and it became habit; even going as far as to say that I'll keep doing this until I can get one of those cool picture-based sigs each and every single time. It took me a hot minute or three to figure things out, but by the time I did it was so ingrained that I just kept doing it out of rote. And so...there you have it.

Today, it's a Smashboards exclusive meme.

Smooth Criminal
This whole time I thought it started as a way to get around the 10char filter, and then grew from there. :laugh:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I found another interesting details. There is a chance that this Story Mode will allow 2 players like in SSE. Take a look at this:

https://i.imgur.com/9JNpkk8.jpg

While showing Peach's spirits, there is P1: Player 1. Why would this be there? If it was a single player mode, this wouldn't appear at all. So, why would this appear?

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
So, for the Vergeben trio of DLCs, SE rep (Sora, Geno, we don't know who), Steve and Katalina, how do you imagine reveal trailers for them?

For Steve I could see exploring Hyrule (BotW style) at night, hearing a hiss, then from the top of a nearby mountain we can see the explosion. On that mountain Snake hears footsteps, throws an explosion in their direction and hides in a box. We see Steve’s hand turn a lever and the Ground around Snake explodes. We see Steve running in to get the items that Snake ”dropped”
STEVE joined the game!

TeamFlareZakk

King K Rool wasnt spoiled, thankfully Verge didnt get any information about him being in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if there'll be a Smash Bros event in Granblue and things got muddled up down the pipe-line to mean the crossover would be on Smash's end.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So, for the Vergeben trio of DLCs, SE rep (Sora, Geno, we don't know who), Steve and Katalina, how do you imagine reveal trailers for them?

For Steve I could see exploring Hyrule (BotW style) at night, hearing a hiss, then from the top of a nearby mountain we can see the explosion. On that mountain Snake hears footsteps, throws an explosion in their direction and hides in a box. We see Steve’s hand turn a lever and the Ground around Snake explodes. We see Steve running in to get the items that Snake ”dropped”
STEVE joined the game!
I don't think Verge saying there is minecraft content equates 100% to a playable character.

Content takes many shapes and forms. Minecraft could be a mii costume... It could also be something trivial like a spirit. We've seen rayman and shantae content only in spirits.

So I personally don't consider steve or a microsoft character a lock at large. Its still possible though.

beans

Smash Lord
I'm way late, can anyone explain why Sora and Katalina are heavily speculated DLC??
Vergeben says someone is credible.
This someone says Katalina is DLC.
Sora comes from Vergeben's SE rep and Spawn Wave hints at Sora at the Video Game Awards

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm way late, can anyone explain why Sora and Katalina are heavily speculated DLC??
Vergeben who's been right on the money for pretty much everything us confident a SE character will be DLC and Spawnwave was been implying Sora will be DLC. A different guy who had similar information for Minecraft said Katalina

Also there's clear footage of Meta Knight's new final smash and the ****** sprouts another set of wings

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Just wanted to drop this in:

Shantae's Director/Creator is now openly rooting for Shantae to be one of the Smash DLC characters.
Do you think he got the memo about what Sakurai said, or knows something we don't?
He retweeted the post cause it was confusing people here's the new one https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/1058803380225662976

Also I still believe Shantae has a chance at being one of the DLC characters, and if not, then if they do wave 2 then maybe she'll be there, but just know I'm not giving up on her. Her inclusion as a spirit is inspiring more fans now than ever to (politely hopefully) show Nintendo and Sakurai their support for Shantae as playable, and I feel that it is possible .

To me, Matt still sound like he under some kind of NDA still. Why not just outright say that Shantae isn't playable? Sounds like he does knows something we don't. But if I'm wrong well... I'm only human, Who's also part Cat. At least I can say I stuck by the characters I wanted In Smash, and I'll never regret that or give up hope, regardless of disappointment.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Yup.

Why not? Street Fighter V already has.
More money for them, more characters for fans.
Because it is bad economically for Nintendo. It is going to discourage consumers to buy dlc if it is too expensive. It could cause people to not buy the dlc if it were too expensive. If they added 3 more charcters on top of the 5, then it would end of costing 40$ which is more than half the money to buy a brand new smash ultimate. Let that sink in. Most consumers would rarely buy something that expensive but would be more likely to buy something 25$. Also I just don’t think it is Sakuri’s nature to try and make us pay lots of money for dlc. In the direct, he said that he wanted to announce the charcters before you buy the dlc so you are not blindly buying something. Also let’s be real here, Nintendo is gonna make the most profit on the 25$ pass so anyone saying that oh you don’t have to buy all of the dlc, is still taking away Nintendo’s main source of income for the dlc.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
About that thread on Reddit/r/smashbros... I said 'MIGHT', not that it was 100% true. There is a new thread that says that piracy wouldn't be tolerated, and if there was a possible massive leak, it should be contained in that one thread.
Oh okay... got it... sorry

Anyways, what looks to be the best assist trophy?
I'm personally really liking Guile, Akira, and Yuri Kozukata

Last edited:

Quazwx

Smash Rookie
My predictions

1 Sonic rep:

We got Richter and Ken as 3rd party echoes, but not Shadow. The only reason for that I can think of is there already being a new sonic character (well, we're talking about the man who put a piranha plant in, but it's the best i could come up with) I think the most likely ones are Tails or Eggman, maybe Blaze?

2 Elma:

If what Sakurai said about Rex applies to DLC too, the fact that out of all characters he talked about Rex seems quite convenient, especially if the Xenoblade X port is confirmed.

3 Geno:

I doubt spirits deconfirm anything, seeing how wii fit trainer has one and that they are basically Trophies succesor, and mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in sm4sh.
Then there's Vergeben's words on a Square Enix rep and that Sakurai interview ( take this with a grain of salt thought, since square enix has a lot of chars and the interview, which is the reason I put him over the rest is quite old, but still gives him a heads up over something like a Final fantasy char or Chrono)

4 Bandana Dee:

Piranha anihilated the (wrong) argument people used against him, and he's one of the few non-decofirmed first party characters that are relevant ( I seriously could only think of him until I saw people talking about Elma) and Sakurai finally seems to be opening his mind to post-saku kirby relevant things with Final Smashes and Galacta knight skin.

5 Third party:

Seeing Smash 4 trend with DLCs this spot will probably be for a third, Rayman comes to mi d but idk. Talking about Rayman, what about Mario Rabbid? Oh my...

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I feel like Erdrick has a lot better chance than Sora does. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan. And XI is coming to Switch.
Dragon Quest is arguably their biggest franchise next to Final Fantasy. It would honestly make a lot of sense for Erdrick (or someone from Dragon Quest anyway) to be the next DLC character. Plus Nintendo has worked with the Dragon Quest series before. Namely with Fortune Street.

Anyway, my predicted five (in alphabetical order): Banjo-Kazooie, Doom Slayer, Erdrick, Katalina, and Steve.

Based on evidence, rumors, leaks, interviews, etc. I think those are the most likely five.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Best thing I've found on Reddit today.
Happy sandbag is best sandbag
I wish Sandbag was our gag character instead of piranha plant.

I love him.
Have you played Smash Flash 2?
They actually have sandbag as a gag character...

But easily, the best gag character was Weegee in Smash Crusade
His move set was a love letter to the golden days of YTP

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh okay... got it... sorry

Anyways, what looks to be the best assist trophy?
I'm personally really liking Guile, Akira, and Yuri Kozukata
Akira and Yuri really made me happy. I really wanted a Fatal Frame assist and Akira was a pleasant surprise (in all of his blocky glory). Also Spring Man, I'd like him to be playable but seeing him here, despite how new ARMS is, is great.

EDIT: Bomberman and Rathalos also made me very happy. I know a lot of people hate them, but Assist Trophies are among my top 5 items.

But easily, the best gag character was Weegee in Smash Crusade
His move set was a love letter to the golden days of YTP
Weegee in Crusade killed my crops and doubled my yearly dental bills.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead.)
Vergeben who's been right on the money for pretty much everything us confident a SE character will be DLC and Spawnwave was been implying Sora will be DLC. A different guy who had similar information for Minecraft said Katalina

Also there's clear footage of Meta Knight's new final smash and the ****** sprouts another set of wings
But remember Verge did mention Minecraft, I dont recall him saying anything about this Katalina though.. Again Im not even sure who Katalina is.

I feel like Erdrick has a lot better chance than Sora does. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan. And XI is coming to Switch.
Dragon Quest is arguably their biggest franchise next to Final Fantasy. It would honestly make a lot of sense for Erdrick (or someone from Dragon Quest anyway) to be the next DLC character. Plus Nintendo has worked with the Dragon Quest series before. Namely with Fortune Street.

Anyway, my predicted five (in alphabetical order): Banjo-Kazooie, Doom Slayer, Erdrick, Katalina, and Steve.

Based on evidence, rumors, leaks, interviews, etc. I think those are the most likely five.
Imagine if Sakurai added him all like there you can have this guy that looks like Goku.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But remember Verge did mention Minecraft, I dont recall him saying anything about this Katalina though.. Again Im not even sure who Katalina is.
Hence why I said "A different guy". Considering how often people here keep asking what the **** Granblue or Katalina are I'm thinking Verge's mistaken cause this isn't a case of Nintendo fanboyism making people not know something

TeamFlareZakk

Hence why I said "A different guy". Considering how often people here keep asking what the **** Granblue or Katalina are I'm thinking Verge's mistaken cause this isn't a case of Nintendo fanboyism making people not know something
Let me guess.. A guy from 4chan. How many of those came to fruition?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My predictions

1 Sonic rep:

We got Richter and Ken as 3rd party echoes, but not Shadow. The only reason for that I can think of is there already being a new sonic character (well, we're talking about the man who put a piranha plant in, but it's the best i could come up with) I think the most likely ones are Tails or Eggman, maybe Blaze?

2 Elma:

If what Sakurai said about Rex applies to DLC too, the fact that out of all characters he talked about Rex seems quite convenient, especially if the Xenoblade X port is confirmed.

3 Geno:

I doubt spirits deconfirm anything, seeing how wii fit trainer has one and that they are basically Trophies succesor, and mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in sm4sh.
Then there's Vergeben's words on a Square Enix rep and that Sakurai interview ( take this with a grain of salt thought, since square enix has a lot of chars and the interview, which is the reason I put him over the rest is quite old, but still gives him a heads up over something like a Final fantasy char or Chrono)

4 Bandana Dee:

Piranha anihilated the (wrong) argument people used against him, and he's one of the few non-decofirmed first party characters that are relevant ( I seriously could only think of him until I saw people talking about Elma) and Sakurai finally seems to be opening his mind to post-saku kirby relevant things with Final Smashes and Galacta knight skin.

5 Third party:

Seeing Smash 4 trend with DLCs this spot will probably be for a third, Rayman comes to mi d but idk. Talking about Rayman, what about Mario Rabbid? Oh my...
Um, I don't think Piranha Plant does away with the "hat goomba" argument for BWD. Comparing the two is a stretch. Piranha Plant seems like a one off gag character, that's being given away for free... Seemingly due to its simplicity and ridiculousness.

I doubt very many characters like this will make the roster or DLC in the way Piranha Plant did.

Piranha Plant is an exception to the traditional smash roster additions.

beans

Smash Lord
About the SE rep:
Isn't one of the DQ guys really hard to work with? Because of the way SE handles rights it would be hard to get a DQ rep, cause oone of the guys who has the rights is a pain. Just like the FF7 music debacle.

TeamFlareZakk

Basically the dlc will release the same way the Fighter Z dlc did and with surprise character announcements.. Unless Vergeben datamines it and verges us.. Im kind of hoping he doesnt just for the thrill of the surprise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Um, I don't think Piranha Plant does away with the "hat goomba" argument for BWD. Comparing the two is a stretch. Piranha Plant seems like a one off gag character, that's being given away for free... Seemingly due to its simplicity and ridiculousness.

I doubt very many characters like this will make the roster or DLC in the way Piranha Plant did.

Piranha Plant is an exception to the traditional smash roster additions.
You mean like how Snake was clearly an exception for a game about Nintendo characters?
Or Roy was an exception for Nintendo Allstars?
Or how echoes were an exception for music theory?

Untouch

Smash Master
About the SE rep:
Isn't one of the DQ guys really hard to work with? Because of the way SE handles rights it would be hard to get a DQ rep, cause oone of the guys who has the rights is a pain. Just like the FF7 music debacle.
Yes, Sugiyama is a pain. It's mostly for the orchestral stuff though, could allow some midi remixes (which don't sound the best but it is the best we're going to get).

I don't think the SE character and stage have to be from the same series, could end up that way.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Let me guess.. A guy from 4chan. How many of those came to fruition?
Actualy, you're wrong here.
Its another reddit user, whom already cross checked information with and even share some sources with Vergeben. There is information Verge has that he doesnt have and vice-versa.
He has got some stuff right but I dont know the full extent of his history of leaks.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Basically going off of Verge's word of Square rep.. Who's Katalina? Geno seems to be the most likely out of any of them.
So Katalina is a main protagonist from a popular Japanese mobile game called Granblue.

The makers of Granblue is a company called Cygames.

Nintendo owns 5% stock in Cygames.
DeNA owns 24% stock in Cygames.
Nintendo owns 10% stock in DeNA.

DeNA has made a handful of mobile games for Nintendo.

Speculation is suggesting there could be a mobile rep on the smash roster due to the corporate partnerships/ intricacies between Nintendo and these companies.

Also a leaker is saying Katalina and apparently Verge is saying that leaker has cred. (I have no source for this though.)

Untouch

Smash Master
Actualy, you're wrong here.
Its another reddit user, whom already cross checked information with and even share some sources with Vergeben. There is information Verge has that he doesnt have and vice-versa.
He has got some stuff right but I dont know the full extent of his history of leaks.
At the moment he really hasn't gotten anything right in regards to smash bros.
He said Isabelle would be in after Vergeben, and said that gen 7 pokemon would be in after Vergeben specified it was Incineroar.
To me it feels Vergeben is at the centre of speculation right now and anything he doesn't know doesn't seem like its real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom