• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait, he was shown as a legit boss? I only saw him in that one image where he's just next to Lumen Sage and Werewolf, and Werewolf is just a regular stage boss.
Tbf Werewolf can also appear as a boss in World of Light, we don't know. It's just that it seems odd they'd use these specific characters for the icon. Though Werewolf should be replaced with Dracula

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I have a serious pet peeve with "fantasy=british," especially since the "classical" English accent isn't even as old as the United States. I hope this carries forward into any further Zelda games with voice acting.
I'm guessing your not a fan of "Ancient Rome = automatic British accents" either?

BOTW Zelda was okayish, at least it was better than whatever the hell they were trying to do with Mipha

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
You know... I keep looking at Galeem and get a sort Digimon-esque vibe from it.

If people don't get what I mean, there have been some very weird Digimon designs.
Galeem gives me some serious Safer Sephiroth vibes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We've got Rathalos, Dracula, Galleom, and Galeem so far, right?
I think the total list is..

Rathalos, Dracula, Galleon (confirmed via footage), King Bulbin, Werewolf, Lumen Sage (That banner sidebar thing), Master Hand, Galeem (not confirmed, but too obvious). There's also likely Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Dark Emporor (easy carryovers from their stage) and Zero from Kirby (Hinted at on website).

NineS

Smash Lord
You are not pointless, and you may have hugs
How dare you call him pointed. That's insulting! He does not have a pointy head...
I'm pointless. And I like it that way.

First thing I thought of when I saw Galeem was Tabuu. Then Sephiroth. Then 02. Then Solaris... And a bit of anti-master core.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Rathalos, Dracula, Galleon (confirmed via footage), King Bulbin, Werewolf, Lumen Sage (That banner sidebar thing), Master Hand, Galeem (not confirmed, but too obvious). There's also likely Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Dark Emporor (easy carryovers from their stage) and Zero from Kirby (Hinted at on website).
Zero from Kirby was hinted?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have a serious pet peeve with "fantasy=british," especially since the "classical" English accent isn't even as old as the United States. I hope this carries forward into any further Zelda games with voice acting.
I seem to remember something I heard that the accent British people spoke with as recently as the Victorian era was closer to an American accent (I can't remember which one specifically) than any accent actual British people have nowadays.

I think it was a Mentalfloss Article.

Ah... so it's the arrival of JENOVA to the World of Smash, I see.

Shroob

Sup?
There's also the fact that Zero2 and Galeem are pretty damn similar(Both angelic bols)

And the mode's name in reverse Japanese is literally Kirby of the Stars.

Zero being the final boss in some sort of crazy Sakurai-written fanfic kind of makes sense.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
How dare you call him pointed. That's insulting! He does not have a pointy head...
I'm pointless. And I like it that way.

First thing I thought of when I saw Galeem was Tabuu. Then Sephiroth. Then 02. Then Solaris... And a bit of anti-master core.
lol okay, okay, you got me there

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aU5zdWTW8
Look at the top left of the screen when the match starts, it clearly shows CROWNED meaning Sakurai DOES listen to us about this
This is great news, Sakurai acknowledging more modern Kirby music :love:. This is what I wanted since unfortunately we didn't get a Kirby stage for base game. I hope we get Moonstruck Blossom and Star Dream as well, imagine having that while playing in the Fountain of Dreams.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's also the fact that Zero2 and Galeem are pretty damn similar(Both angelic bols)

Zero being the final boss in some sort of crazy Sakurai-written fanfic kind of makes sense.
And then it turns out to be Tabuu again and all of your tinfoil was wasted.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Galeem is totally Piranha Plant and that's why it didn't get destroyed Thanos'd.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That is such a JRPG name holy ****. There's nothing SAFER about this dude
Well...
It's likely a mistranslation. It's probably supposed to be "Seraph" or something like that.
****, :ultgreninja:'d. :laugh:

*actually looks it up*

No, it's not a mistranslation, it's actually a misspelling.

Final Fantasy Wiki said:
Sepher (סֶפֶר) is Hebrew for "book".

Səphīrōth (סְפִירוֹת, medieval Hebrew form of Sephirot; also spelled Sefirot), is a plural noun in Hebrew; the singular is Sephirah (also spelled Sefira). The Sephiroth are described in the Kabbalah as the manifestations of God that allow him to manifest in the physical and metaphysical universes. Sephiroth also means "counting" (of numbers).

The boss's name as written in Japanese is "セーファ・セフィロス", or "Sēfa Sefirosu"; "safer" can also be transliterated as "sefer", "sapher", and "sepher". Thus, Safer Sephiroth (Sefer Sfirot) translates to "Book of Numerations" likely referring to the 10 Kabbalistic Sefirot, the ten aspects of creation according to Jewish Mysticism.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

I hope not: for an ultimate crossover it wouldn't be great if the big bad was specific to one series. Giga Bowser was cool and all, but Tabuu at least didn't feel like he was giving one series special favour.

Though if Galeem looks like something out of Kirby that could be cool.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Kept away for a few days while I let the salt kind of dissolve away. After seeing about 10 pages or so of mostly salt, decided I didn't need to read 100+ pages of it. So, guess it’s time for me to throw out some thoughts.

Roster: So, the Box theory ended up being the case. Frankly, I was staying fairly neutral about the whole leak situation because frankly I can't find devote the energy to let myself get stressed out when I'm busy fretting over work. I think I'm just at a stage of my life where it hard to devote energy to stuff like this. During Brawl and Smash 4 I did but here I just couldn't bring myself to do so. Probably why my speculation has been calmer for me this time around. I just don't care like I once did about it.

Ken and Incineroar: To be honest neither of them particular interest me but they seem well implemented all things considered. However, in general the first half of the announcements definitely hit home more so then what we've seen in this latter half.

Spirits: Honestly, I'm fine with the system and probably will find myself playing around with it some. I wasn't attached that much to the trophy system to really be upset that they are being excluded this time around. Seems like a fusion of the trophy system, sticker system, and the event match system. I am kind of amused how they take a character and try to create a fight similar to that character using the existing assets they have. It's a fun little concept that can be ignored and embraced depending on what you like to do.

Online: I don't entirely understand the issue behind it other the fact that you can't be guaranteed to gate off certain content at times. I think in general I believe the idea appears to be to limit the downtime between matches by removing some of the walls which split the community in two. In general, there will probably be enough people playing most of the time initially that it won't be that bad in general. Otherwise there's also the Arenas that make for a nice compromise. I have issues with the Nintendo Online App, but that's more of a general problem then something Smash specific. The reality is, Voice Chat is not currently possible unless Nintendo greatly changes their Switch Operating System which is not an easy task to accomplish so I'm not counting it against Smash itself.

Assist Trophy: Yeah it was kind of rough to see Isaac back in the Assist Trophy slot but after Brawl and Smash 4, I've kind of accepted at this point that Isaac was a bit of a long shot at this point. I don't have much of an opinion on most of the others.

DLC: This was kind of expected and I wasn't really shocked by their plans. It's at least an improvement over Smash 4 DLC process that broke the DLC down far too much and made some of it difficult to follow.

Mii Fighter Costumes: Sad as it was to see Rex there, I'm not sure I'm ready to assume that someone appearing in Spirits or as Mii Fighter costumes are a guarantee they will not appear in other forms. If it is the case, oh well, I'll live.

Piranha Plant: This was such a Sakuari thing to do and I was laughing like hell when it happened. I loved it for the same reason I remember loving the Wii Fit Trainer trailer during Smash 4. It's just such a level of complete absurdity that I could help but love the whole thing.

World of Light: I'm very interested to see where this goes, I don't have much else to say since they didn't reveal that much as it looks like an extension of the Spirits system with a story element behind it. I loved the lyrical song that played in the trailer.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Huh?

Where did this come from?

Were people talking about Bowsette? :laugh:

You know... I keep looking at Galeem and get a sort Digimon-esque vibe from it.

If people don't get what I mean, there have been some very weird Digimon designs.
Yeah someone was talking about how they freaked out over the Bowsette fad

D

Deleted member

I heard somewhere about Rayquaza too.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It's likely a mistranslation. It's probably supposed to be "Seraph" or something like that.
It’s a misspelling of Sefer, which is from Jewish kabbalah as is the word “Sephirot” from which he is named.

It’s roughly translated as “Original Blueprint of God”

So he’s like the original holy lifeform version of himself or something like that.
It’s all a play on Judaism. Like Jenova is similar to Jehova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom