• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Anyone talk about this?

So basically for any character you were hoping wasn't like this in the final game like Bowser Jr. (and my boi...), what you see is what you get...

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Don't think it's been brought up yet, but Gladion's Battle Theme is confirmed!

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/about/index.html

Scroll down to new music and you'll see it in the background as they scroll through some songs.
'Ground Theme - Super Mario Bros 2'

Is that a new track or do we have a remix of that already? Cos if not, HYPE. It's objectively the best Mario athletic theme; other themes needn't apply.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
'Ground Theme - Super Mario Bros 2'

Is that a new track or do we have a remix of that already? Cos if not, HYPE. It's objectively the best Mario athletic theme; other themes needn't apply.
Pretty sure it's the Kingdom 2 track from Melee.

D

Deleted member

Is it true that Rayquaza may return as a boss?

I heard from someone here that he made a brief appearance in the trailer for Story Mode.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Pretty sure it's an unwritten rule that Kass's theme had to be in this game somewhere.

Now toss in Sidon's theme and this really will be the Ultimate Smash game.
Now if only they add more, it really will be the ultimate smash!

Yeah, but if they add even more, wow.
Anyone talk about this?

So basically for any character you were hoping wasn't like this in the final game like Bowser Jr. (and my boi...), what you see is what you get...
Until they study Elite Smash for updates and patches

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Anyone talk about this?

Honestly happy with how my main is.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Spirits, do you guys think we’ll have to fight the DLC characters in Spirits mode after buying them?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Until they study Elite Smash for updates and patches
I feel that's somewhat flawed. As with any ranked mode, how do you get to the top? Using the tippest of toppest characters. The best of the best, which means really you're only getting a scope of The As and S Tiers, with some B/C Tiers showing off. Unless the goal is to see who gets to the top the quickest to try and nerf them, it doesn't give the chance for characters that end up being lower tier from being analyzed and seeing where their flaws are.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You know, with all these awesome details about classic mode, the idea that there's much more to World of Light and Spirits mode than we thought, I had to wonder.
Where the hell were these awesome biscuits of info on Thursday?!

Lord knows they'd have filled those 40 minutes better than stuff like Options, Help Menu and whatnot.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Anyone talk about this?

>One month to work on DLC

VGA ANNOUNEMENT BABY HERE WE GOOOOOES!

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon or Nekoo Nekoo you guys are the resident Sora experts
Kingdom Hearts is the only series with main characters playable and it's own series represented in a Final Fantasy only mobile game that have ALL of the FF cast.

Sora also appeared in World of Final Fantasy as a Limited DLC for the promotion of the KH Compilation

And the video explaining all

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Speaking of Spirits, do you guys think we’ll have to fight the DLC characters in Spirits mode after buying them?
An idea I saw on this thread was that buying the dlc would add a small path to Spirits with like 2 or 3 fights leading up to the DLC character.

Would be a nice way of integrating them into the story.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anyone talk about this?

Little Mac is looking ****ing amazing for me dude, I'm fine with him as is.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Listen, in general I myself understand the chances of Rex being playable aren't incredibly likely. People have different interpretations of how things were worded. I happen to have a different interpretation. I simply don't think it's entirely out of the question.

I must say though, I love how some people are already making "rules" about DLC despite the fact that many people, on this board, got BTFO this entire speculation cycle. It's as if no one learned anything about how things changed between Wii U and Ultimate, and are still looking at things all the same way, even though they've all been basically disregarded. We even have some people (won't name names but eh) who are still ruling things out or making people look stupid for thinking of certain things differently.

Like there was literally discussion the other day about how Sora is a "Disney rep" by law. "Reps" is a fan term. There is no law that specifies who is "rep" for which company. They're video game characters. If Sakurai wants to try and acquire them, he will try and acquire them for the game.

In terms of DLC, I have to wonder if they'll actually go beyond the Fighter Pack. We're like, actually, getting close to the bottom of the barrel. Not that Piranha Plant isn't hype (I actually love the character and think it's amazing), but it's a generic enemy. After we get 5 more characters, we'll be at 80 (81?) characters. If Vergeben is to be believed, we're getting 2 3rd party characters. If Mystic Distance's source was right about Lloyd having a good shot at DLC, then that's 3 of 5. Then we have the SE character, and that makes 4/5 as 3rd party.

That leaves just one character.

Granted, I'm personally of the opinion that I won't move on from Ultimate if the next Smash game is a reboot (and in a different genre, no less) or makes significant cuts. This game is just too good content wise for me to play a Smash game that doesn't have all of it, and honestly, even if I don't get Rex, I get something rather than nothing.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

In theory, one month works for Echoes.
But for entirely new ones? Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh vaanrose vaanrose would have to convince me on that one.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hell yeah, Gladion's theme is the best! I wonder if it's a remix?
Now all we need are Ultra Necrozma, Guzma, and Lusamine's themes.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
In theory, one month works for Echoes.
But for entirely new ones? Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh vaanrose vaanrose would have to convince me on that one.
You know that in one months they did a Mewtwo reveals with a small budget and DLC team right?

If the budget and team is double the size, and with how much progress there is in Piranha Plants, I'm sure having a quick Gameplay Réel or tiny CGI is possible.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Kingdom Hearts is the only series with main characters playable and it's own series represented in a Final Fantasy only mobile game that have ALL of the FF cast.

Sora also appeared in World of Final Fantasy as a Limited DLC for the promotion of the KH Compilation

And the video explaining all

Can you give me the quick answer who owns Sora? From what I've found it's Disney but maybe Square has to give approval as well?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I feel that's somewhat flawed. As with any ranked mode, how do you get to the top? Using the tippest of toppest characters. The best of the best, which means really you're only getting a scope of The As and S Tiers, with some B/C Tiers showing off. Unless the goal is to see who gets to the top the quickest to try and nerf them, it doesn't give the chance for characters that end up being lower tier from being analyzed and seeing where their flaws are.
True enough. But they’ll have an idea of which characters are working and which ones are not.

They also didn’t detail exactly how high ranked you need to be, so hopefully there will be a margin allowing more than just the tip toppiest characters to at least rank low in elite.

It’ll be flawed regardless. Only so many nerds and buffs will work before they realize maybe some characters would require reworks anyways.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, huh.

Language warning. Aside from that, :ultluigi: got nerfed hard in terms of recovery. A worse Luigi Cyclone and a z-air that doesn't work as a tether recovery. Up-B is more-or-less the same.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Listen, in general I myself understand the chances of Rex being playable aren't incredibly likely. People have different interpretations of how things were worded. I happen to have a different interpretation. I simply don't think it's entirely out of the question.
We haven't seen a Mythra spirit yet.

Maybe Sakurai is saving best girl for DLC.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know, I need to proof to shut someone up though.
You need Sora information?

I got Sora information.

Disney has said that if the fans want Sora in Smash, they would be more than willing to let him in. They don't care how Sora and the Kingdom Hearts license is used so long as it is true to the source material. All that needs to be done is that Normura has to approve of how Sora and the Kingdom Hearts content in the game would be used, which he would, because it's Sakurai we're talking about here. If Sora doesn't get into Smash, it means that the fans didn't speak out enough, or that Sakurai didn't seek him out. Not because Disney interfered.

Watch this video. It explains things very well.

Also, while we're clearing up misconceptions. Disney didn't step in to prevent Dissidia from being a Disney fighting game, it was Normura who decided against it.
From Normura: "However, deciding it would be a bad idea to make Disney characters fight each other..."
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/30/dissidia-final-fantasy-originated-from-kingdom-hearts/
An Immensely In-depth Analysis on Sora's Chances of Getting in Smash
HMK asks about Sora's rights and his chances at being in Smash Bros.

HMK's interview of a Disney Executive, which is detailed here. People such as PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler , who literally worked on Disney Infinity, which had the Keyblade as an item, have also corroborated this information. The process for getting Sora in Smash or to use Kingdom Hearts in other media is:
  • Go to Normura and get approval from him because he's the series creator
  • Go to Disney and say you got approval, do actual negotiations
  • Work alongside Disney to ensure all Kingdom Hearts content is true to the source material
Refer to HMK's interview with a Disney executive.

Here's a video about it too:

Disney let Thanos, the main antagonist of one of their biggest movies, into Fortnite for promotion. They also let Wreck-It-Ralph, a character they completely own, into Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, a relatively niche game. They'd easily do the same with Sora in Smash Bros..

If Sakurai and Normura agree to add Sora into Smash Bros, and they go to Disney and say "yeah we're putting him in the game"

A: There's not much Disney can do but agree since Normura is the one who decides when and where Sora and the Kingdom Hearts IP are used (Mind you, Disney straight up cancelled a mobile Kingdom Hearts game they were making because Normura didn't like it).
AND
B: Why the **** wouldn't Disney let Sora, a character they somewhat own and don't have as much stake in, into Smash Bros., the Infinity Wars of video games?

Hope this suffices.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can you give me the quick answer who owns Sora? From what I've found it's Disney but maybe Square has to give approval as well?
Paperwork, It's Disney copyright
How it works?
Disney want to use Sora? They need okay from Square and Nomura especially
Square want to use Sora? They need okay from Disney but Disney respect Nomura enough as Sora is his baby.
Sakurai want to use Sora? He will ned Nomura and Disney's okay. But if Nomura say okay and can push Disney's string, Disney might say yes.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I'm gonna say it right now, for me personally, Spirits > Trophies. Seeing all the characters included (who are likely all getting a sweet reference battle) gets me WAY too excited. I don't mind the Stadium stuff being gone because I'm gonna sink HOURS into those battles to see what they come up with.

I was straight up marking out seeing Charlie Nash, Vega, Bison, Sagat, Torchman, Swordman, and ****ING AILE FROM ZX ADVENT (WTF??) being in a Smash Bros game. Then, I start thinking of the potential Spirit Battles characters like Zael, Wonder Blue, Paper Mario, Saki Amamiya, and other characters I like will have and I get a little too excited.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to Spirits.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know that in one months they did a Mewtwo reveals with a small budget and DLC team right?

If the budget and team is double the size, and with how much progress there is in Piranha Plants, I'm sure having a quick Gameplay Réel or tiny CGI is possible.
Nah... nah, I don't think so. Mewtwo's reveal was only a model being fancily revealed and teased.
I don't think they could do that from a month now to December 6th, just impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom