• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nah... nah, I don't think so. Mewtwo's reveal was only a model being fancily revealed and teased.
I don't think they could do that from a month now to December 6th, just impossible.
We'll see the night of the Video-Game Awards. But I totally think it's doable and ready to take a bet-

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We'll see the night of the Video-Game Awards. But I totally think it's doable and ready to take a bet-
You lose - Don't buy Sora for a whole month when he releases
I lose - I don't know I don't really play Kingdom Hearts
We both lose and Spawn Wave just did an epic time dab troll on us all - We walk towards the light of Galeem

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can you give me the quick answer who owns Sora? From what I've found it's Disney but maybe Square has to give approval as well?
Paperwork, It's Disney copyright
How it works?
Disney want to use Sora? They need okay from Square and Nomura especially
Square want to use Sora? They need okay from Disney but Disney respect Nomura enough as Sora is his baby.
Sakurai want to use Sora? He will need Nomura and Disney's okay. But if Nomura says okay and can push Disney's string, Disney might say yes.
Pretty sure it's only Normura who they need approval from in terms of Square Enix.

Also Disney can't exactly do much but negotiate if Sakurai gets permission from Normura. If it gets to that point Disney will likely agree to add Sora given Sakurai's track record of faithfully representing characters.

Also DLC production has obviously started already lol. They likely went gold over a month ago and began work on DLC then. I expect a regular trailer (like Ryu or Piranha Plant's) for Sora. If they really want to play it up, we could have a full CG trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'mma be real with y'all. I think Sora could be done in a month and a half's time. Remember that Bandai Namco had to work on two completely different consoles on two separate engines. Now it's just one singular console. I'm sure they'll have way more flex time on their hands.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Did he say anything about Steve?
"Minecraft content"
DLC only includes a character, stage, and music
Ergo, Steve is in by Vergeben's comment.

If you say Banjo + Minecraft stage why the **** would you not have [is it called mondo hill?] from Banjo's series, don't be dumb.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Uh, huh.

Language warning. Aside from that, :ultluigi: got nerfed hard in terms of recovery. A worse Luigi Cyclone and a z-air that doesn't work as a tether recovery. Up-B is more-or-less the same.
Everyone’s recovery is worse, so it isn’t as big a nerf as you think. Zair not ledge snapping is pretty bad though.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You lose - Don't buy Sora for a whole month when he releases
I lose - I don't know I don't really play Kingdom Hearts
We both lose and Spawn Wave just did an epic time dab troll on us all - We walk towards the light of Galeem
Lez go. I wanna end my suffering now

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's only Normura who they need approval from in terms of Square Enix.

Also Disney can't exactly do much but negotiate if Sakurai gets permission from Normura. If it gets to that point Disney will likely agree to add Sora given Sakurai's track record of faithfully representing characters.
Thanks. Do you think his moveset would utilize Disney characters? I have never played Kingdom Hearts so I have no idea what he does.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Hell yeah, Gladion's theme is the best! I wonder if it's a remix?
Now all we need are Ultra Necrozma, Guzma, and Lusamine's themes.
We also need: Ultra Beast theme, Lunala/Solgaleo/regular Necrozma, Kahuna, Aether Employee etc. There's a lot of stuff from Gen 7 that would be great in Smash
(still kinda miffed that they've barely had any spinoff Pokemon game music in Smash)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Thanks. Do you think his moveset would utilize Disney characters? I have never played Kingdom Hearts so I have no idea what he does.
Definitely not.

Sora doesn't even need Disney characters to fight. He's got enough **** he can do without them.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nah- He's going to Wack that Giant key by himself and spell some sick ass magic.
No need for any disney characters for him, every game, he have a whole new moveset, he's probably the one with the largest moveset potential like...RIGHT BEHIND Dante, and that say how much there is to him

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
God I'm so glad Snake is back. I cannot wait to hear the new tracks they added for the series.

Any Peace Walker or Metal Gear Rising music is going to be the best thing ever. Part of the reason I missed Metal Gear so much in Smash WAS because of its music. It's so damn good.

D

Deleted member

And the VGAs are a month and 2 days from now. So close. :smirk:
****, I mean like, AFTER they announce Sora. I'm still on board with the whole "Announce him at VGAs, release him on April" so there'll be a character bi-monthly throughout 2019 to keep it somewhat consistent.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have a question for B&K fans. What do you all think will happen when :ultkirby: inhales them? Would he get his own Kazooie (somehow) and backpack? The thought of Kirby's own Kazooie came to my head all of a sudden.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Nah- He's going to Wack that Giant key by himself and spell some sick *** magic.
No need for any disney characters for him, every game, he have a whole new moveset, he's probably the one with the largest moveset potential like...RIGHT BEHIND Dante, and that say how much there is to him
Definitely not.

Sora doesn't even need Disney characters to fight. He's got enough **** he can do without them.
You don't think Disney would want some of their movie characters incorporated in some fashion though?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have a question for B&K fans. What do you all think will happen when :ultkirby: inhales them? Would he get his own Kazooie (somehow) and backpack? The thought of Kirby's own Kazooie came to my head all of a sudden.
Really depends on what BnK does for his neutral special.
Appearance wise, I think it's safe to assume he gets a backpack

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
****, I mean like, AFTER they announce Sora. I'm still on board with the whole "Announce him at VGAs, release him on April" so there'll be a character bi-monthly throughout 2019 to keep it somewhat consistent.
Why April? If they did show him in December, even if it's a model, then Piranha Plant must clearly be close to completion if not completed. They could both easily be released in February simultaneously.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I'mma be real with y'all. I think Sora could be done in a month and a half's time. Remember that Bandai Namco had to work on two completely different consoles on two separate engines. Now it's just one singular console. I'm sure they'll have way more flex time on their hands.
He doesn't even have to technically be "done" per say either. If the whole VGA announcement thing is true that is, they could just tease that he's coming.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Which means part of his body becomes another conscious being.

“Start the reactor.”

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Would a month to at least have a model to show off be too short? Far as I am aware basic modeling shouldn't be too long but Im not entirely sure how long it would generally take
Obviously it depends on the character in question since there's a big difference between making a Piranha Plant and making Simon Belmont, but since this discussion is currently on Sora, I'd call him a fairly involved but not terribly difficult character. I've never pretended to know how the Smash team specifically works, or even how the Japanese industry in general works, but in the west, a non-player character gets anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks to be modeled and textured, and a player character is often given a full month just for the model. When it comes to a licensed character, there's the extra hassle of making sure it passes all the red tape and gets approval from the different rights holders, so it can take even longer to get final approval even if it technically takes the same amount of time to produce as a non-licensed character.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Wtf why april? They're gonna try to crush him out asap.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You don't think Disney would want some of their movie characters incorporated in some fashion though?
Not really, they wouldn't care, they get those green $ anyway with Sora alone. At best we get some Spirit, but even that **** is a big streetch

D

Deleted member

Why April? If they did show him in December, even if it's a model, then Piranha Plant must clearly be close to completion if not completed. They could both easily be released in February simultaneously.
I mean, you could, true. We could always have a big dump of DLC like how we did back in E3 2015 with Roy, Ryu and Lucas with the Dream Land 64 and Suzaku Castle stages.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; image-only spam.

Leave it to Sakurai to parallel a sentient black hole gumball to Sora.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Holy **** :ultgnw: calm down with these buffs, dude.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Even when I have the game in my hands.

Even when I'm mashing through World of Light.

Even when I'm unlocking all the music and Mii costumes.

There's always gonna be that little voice in the back of my mind constantly telling me...

":ultpiranha: tho?"

February can't come fast enough.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"Minecraft content"
DLC only includes a character, stage, and music
Ergo, Steve is in by Vergeben's comment.

If you say Banjo + Minecraft stage why the **** would you not have [is it called mondo hill?] from Banjo's series, don't be dumb.
Hey, don't say don't be dumb, I was just checking!

He said he hasn't heard the specifics of the minecraft content, but it could be Steve. Personally I think Steve is likely.
On Square Enix, Minecraft and Katalina (third party character, is she?), I have something to say...

Those don't make sense as the three (our of five) DLC characters in this game. Not that I am doubting Verge, for I don't doubt him, given his credibility, but while this is a celebration of gaming, this is also a celebration of Nintendo, since this started off as just Nintendo. Provided those three get in, you'd think Sakurai would add more Nintendo characters than third party ones, like 3 Nintendo characters and 2 third party characters for that reason. I know he doesn't have to, but still, this doesn't make that much sense to me. I think having three third parties and 2 first parties is kinda insane, given the kind of game this is; especially since we don't even know if we will get season 2.

Sorry for the little complaint, if you want to call it that, I was just making an observation, and I know those three have not been so confirmed yet.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
There is an upper limit to how fast content can be produced, and no amount of additional resources thrown at it changes that. Character models are made by a single artist, often times there's a different texture artist, but they can't do their part until the modeler finishes his. A large team allows for multiple characters to be under development simultaneously, but each individual character will take roughly the same amount of time regardless of how big or small the team is.

NineS

Smash Lord
Even when I have the game in my hands.

Even when I'm mashing through World of Light.

Even when I'm unlocking all the music and Mii costumes.

There's always gonna be that little voice in the back of my mind constantly telling me...

":ultpiranha: tho?"

February can't come fast enough.
Piranha plant is what keeps me going.
I can't imagine a world without it now that I know we live in a world with it.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Obviously it depends on the character in question since there's a big difference between making a Piranha Plant and making Simon Belmont, but since this discussion is currently on Sora, I'd call him a fairly involved but not terribly difficult character. I've never pretended to know how the Smash team specifically works, or even how the Japanese industry in general works, but in the west, a non-player character gets anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks to be modeled and textured, and a player character is often given a full month just for the model. When it comes to a licensed character, there's the extra hassle of making sure it passes all the red tape and gets approval from the different rights holders, so it can take even longer to get final approval even if it technically takes the same amount of time to produce as a non-licensed character.
Ah ok. Thanks for the response on this^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom