• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
My thoughts:
  • Being an Assist Trophy or Non-Playable character (not a spirit) or Mii costume (in some cases) decreases chances significantly. These characters will probably not appear as DLC, but it is not impossible.
  • Being a Spirit, but not anything else, only decreases the chances of appearing as DLC slightly.
  • Not being in the game at all can be a sign for DLC.
    • This is especially the case if it's a notable first party character (I'm not sure if anybody will freak out if Kersti from Paper Mario: Sticker Star or Agatha from Twilight Princess are not in the game). I would say if a character like Elma or Bandanna Dee are missing as a Spirit, they will most likely appear as DLC (but idk since Bandanna Dee wasn't even in Smash 4 at all, not even as a trophy).
This is why I think Saki and Elma might actually make it as DLC. Saki was a weird one to cut.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Is it too early to start thinking about Smash 6?

Piranha Plant has got me legitimately thinking what kind of characters are now free to join the roster now that 'generic entities' are no longer barred from entry.

While most people think of Toad as a singular entity (specifically SMB2 Toad), Toad is a generic dude, but now that issue is gone.

Yoshi could get a new rep in the form of Shy Guy, pulling out all sorts of oddball references to all the different Shy Guys from Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario.

The most iconic Zelda enemies I can think of are Octorok, Moblin, Darknut, Stalfos and Lizalfos, and I feel like at least one of them could bring something new and fun to Smash.

Sakurai's comments on not adding regular Waddle Dee due to being a generic enemy are negated, so we could get a regular ol' Waddle Dee with Bandana Dee as an alt. With a regular Waddle Dee, they don't have to restrict themselves to BWD's Spear and Parasol.

While Metroids are arguably one of the most iconic game monsters ever, I feel they're pretty well covered by an Assist, but a Space Pirate or Zebesian would work (Zebesians can even use their different versions from Other M as skins).

EGGPLANT WIZARD CAN HAPPEN NOW EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And if we really want to go all-in on this, add each individual Pikmin type as a character. /s

If Piranha Plant hadn't happened I'd be calling all of these ideas dumb. The best part is they're still dumb but totally fair game now. Bless Sakurai.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Pretty sure DLC roster is already decided given that that Sakurai said they're going to work ASAP once the game is gold. Sakurai confirmed yesterday that the day is indeed good to go.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It will be a long time before I even get NEAR EVO (even though I live in the same state lol). All I can do as of this moment is advocate for my boi to be used...
Maybe Amsa will rise out of the shadows and make a triumphant return to form.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I was too hyped from the direct to realize, but we have less than 5 weeks left to release as of yesterday.

This is going to go too fast!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, here's a fun slightly depressing game we can play:

Imagine (for many of us, this is a reality) that your favorite(s) are Spirits. How do their battles play out?
Who is the playable character standing in for them?
What costume?
What stage?
What modifiers?

Versus: :ultsimon:, default costume
Stage: Summit
Rules: Simon has high knockback on attacks. Assist Trophies are the only items and spawn infrequently containing only Rathalos

For Tails:

Versus: :ultfox: (orange costume) or :ultmiifighters: (Gunner, 2222, Tails costume)
Stage: Windy Hill Zone
Rules: Character favors aerial attacks. Character has lower gravity and powered-up aerials. Character also has a permanent super leaf.

For Urbosa:

Versus: :ultpalutena: (Purple/Cyan dress)
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Rules: Paly favors her counter. Lightning (like Pika's dSpecial) strikes the battlefield randomly. Koume/Kotake do not appear.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Finally, some Lucas gameplay! He still looks pretty good, even with the nerfs he got.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Dang, that’s really unfortunate. Glad Ness, Falcon, and Puff seem to be getting buffed but my dude Weegee getting the nerf hammer?
From what I have heard, he still has grab combos at least. Recovery seems less, uh, versatile. I'm honestly not sure where he will go, but the only nerf I wanted was the removal of his Cyclone gimp.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was too hyped from the direct to realize, but we have less than 5 weeks left to release as of yesterday.

This is going to go too fast!
***** THIS IS GOING TOO SLOW
THE GAME IS COMPLETE GIMME THE GAME NOW

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well, I don't think you have...

Have you seen Rottytops, performing the tango to freaking Aerosmith, on the observation deck of the Shanghai Tower, while nude? I didn't think so.
That's an oddly specific example...

I'll admit I forgot about her. If Spirits mean disconfirmed, then it's not good news. If not, then she's definitely possible, and I'd say likely given her prominence. She's one of the last "Nintendo All-Stars" not in Smash yet.
I think at this point we shouldn't take spirits as deconfirmations.

If we do, were pretty much left (for 1st party) with Elma, Bandana Dee, and.... is that really it?

I mean great for me, since they've been my top 2 since the August direct, but there has to be more notable 1st party characters than just those 2... right?

Last edited:

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so Sakurai said that they just finished debugging and will now start working on the DLC but... Does it really work like that? I mean, there's no way during the debugging phase the rest of the team were just doing nothing, waiting for the game to go gold. Like, knowing how they already planned the DLC before hand, the artistic team (3D modelers, 2D artists, music production) probably started working on them while other departments were finishing and polishing the base game.

So I don't think they'd have 1 month to get a character for a TGA reveal. If such reveal is happening, that character has probably already been worked at for a while.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
It seems that characters are either being repped with assists or costumes, not both. Lip, Chibi Robo, Ray, and Saki are all costumes. This could explain why Saki and Ray have been cut, and why an Isaac Mii outfit hasn't been seen

Potato_

Smash Lord
By the way, Sakurai said in the latest direct something about new events to play the game happening in North America right?

Has any information about that been released? I checked the site but it seems they haven't updated it with anything new, it's still the tailgate stuff.

kylexv

Smash Master
This is why I think Saki and Elma might actually make it as DLC. Saki was a weird one to cut.
Saki will be a Mii Costume, if that means anything.

20:40

Also, I saw him as a Spirit somewhere, but since we've seen, like, 800 of them already, I can't say for sure.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

If we do, were pretty much left (for 1st party) with Elma, Bandana Dee, and.... is that really it?

I mean great for me, since they've been my top 2 since the August direct, but there has to be more notable 1st party characters than just those 2... right?
As much as I love having a literal weed in the cast, I think it's also a sign that we're really hitting the bottom of the barrel.

Or in this case, the bottom of the pot.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Hey, don't say don't be dumb, I was just checking!

On Square Enix, Minecraft and Katalina (third party character, is she?), I have something to say...

Those don't make sense as the three (our of five) DLC characters in this game. Not that I am doubting Verge, for I don't doubt him, given his credibility, but while this is a celebration of gaming, this is also a celebration of Nintendo, since this started off as just Nintendo. Provided those three get in, you'd think Sakurai would add more Nintendo characters than third party ones, like 3 Nintendo characters and 2 third party characters for that reason. I know he doesn't have to, but still, this doesn't make that much sense to me. I think having three third parties and 2 first parties is kinda insane, given the kind of game this is; especially since we don't even know if we will get season 2.

Sorry for the little complaint, if you want to call it that, I was just making an observation, and I know those three have not been so confirmed yet.
I don't expect that many Nintendo characters as DLC, mainly third party ones with 1-2 first party.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wish, but he'd probably be a Greninja main like Smash 4...
You know, there's some pretty good Japanese Smash 4 Yoshi mains out there you should look up.

Rotsuku, Neon, Aiba and Yoshidora among the best. It's part of me to become a Japanese database at this point, I tell you.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As much as I love having a literal weed in the cast, I think it's also a sign that we're really hitting the bottom of the barrel.

Or in this case, the bottom of the pot.
Depends, really.

For Mario characters? Absolutely.

If Waluigi is damned to Assist hell forever, and if Square won't play nice with SMRPG, there really aren't a lot of iconic Mario characters left unless you go for Toad or Paper Mario, imo.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
IMO, it depends on how good the modeler is, then. Having worked on collaborations alongside 3D animators like MowtenDoo, the Billy Herrington model he sculpted took like a week or so on that one collaborative project.

Then again, that's just me from an observer's view. I should've rephrased as in "I believe Sora could be done in a month and a half's time, when it comes to his moveset and model," the balancing, stage development and music are a different story, especially if Kingdom Hearts has any legal conundrums with music.
I'm a professional 3D sculptor. What I'm describing are actual timelines I've been given for paid gigs. There is a lot more involved in making an asset for production than as a hobbyist. As a hobbyist I've made models in no time (I had Mewtwo's mega form modded into Brawl less than ten hours after it's design was leaked), but production is a different ballgame.

kylexv

Smash Master
Just don’t understand the logic of nerfing him.
Honestly worse for Bowser Jr.

He was bottom 10 in Smash 4. He didn't deserve this.
Also though I guessed that Bowser Jr. would be the worst character in Ultimate months ago and I'm secretly hoping I'm right.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

Also Tibby from Rhythm Heaven Megamix. As a main character it's strange that he hasn't been spotted yet. Megamix DID come out around when Ultimate was finalized.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't expect that many Nintendo characters as DLC, mainly third party ones with 1-2 first party.
Well, feel free to think that. I just hope Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country gets in as a semi-clone of Diddy. Semi-clones are alright, right?

D

Deleted member

My thoughts:
  • Being an Assist Trophy or Non-Playable character (not a spirit) or Mii costume (in some cases) decreases chances significantly. These characters will probably not appear as DLC, but it is not impossible.
    • This applies to the following characters:
      • Waluigi
      • Krystal
      • Isaac
      • Shadow
      • Skull Kid
      • Ashley
      • Shovel Knight
  • Being a Spirit, but not anything else, only decreases the chances of appearing as DLC slightly.
    • This applies to the following characters:
      • Dixie
      • Geno
      • Chorus Kids
  • Not being in the game at all can be a sign for DLC.
    • This is especially the case if it's a notable first party character (I'm not sure if anybody will freak out if Kersti from Paper Mario: Sticker Star or Agatha from Twilight Princess are not in the game). I would say if a character like Elma or Bandanna Dee are missing as a Spirit, they will most likely appear as DLC (but idk since Bandanna Dee wasn't even in Smash 4 at all, not even as a trophy).
      • Easiest way to tell this is if Piranha Plant is not a Spirit in the base game.
I don't think Mii Costumes share that same realm of decreasing chances. At this point, almost all of the Mii Costumes, or at least significant ones, have been promoted in some shape and form. Here's a graph from my "Case of Heihachi" post.

Screenshot (1113).png

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So it turns out this does indeed have a small bit of issue...hmm hope they censor it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don't really agree with all the people saying it's not that big of a deal imo... please don't flame me.

D

Deleted member

Time for my ******** question:

Do we know anything about Sora’s romantic life?
I heard that he doesn’t care so much about Kairi.

Shroob

Sup?
So it turns out this does indeed have a small bit of issue...hmm hope they censor it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don't really agree with all the people saying it's not that big of a deal imo... please don't flame me.
I did some digging on Resetera, and people were saying that if they patch this out, they'll have to patch it out of every region of the game too.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly worse for Bowser Jr.

He was bottom 10 in Smash 4. He didn't deserve this.
Also though I guessed that Bowser Jr. would be the worst character in Ultimate months ago and I'm secretly hoping I'm right.
I swear if he's bottom tier again...

Ugh. Why does my most wanted character period have to suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom