• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I hope there's a boss from Yoshi's Island. This is the last chance to not let me down!!!
Yoshi Fans Pikmin Fans
*clasping hands emoji*
Probably not getting the boss we want

edit: trying to format a twitter joke in an old school style forum is hard guys

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok, here's a fun slightly depressing game we can play:

Imagine (for many of us, this is a reality) that your favorite(s) are Spirits. How do their battles play out?
Who is the playable character standing in for them?
What costume?
What stage?
What modifiers?

Versus: :ultsimon:, default costume
Stage: Summit
Rules: Simon has high knockback on attacks. Assist Trophies are the only items and spawn infrequently containing only Rathalos

For Tails:

Versus: :ultfox: (orange costume) or :ultmiifighters: (Gunner, 2222, Tails costume)
Stage: Windy Hill Zone
Rules: Character favors aerial attacks. Character has lower gravity and powered-up aerials. Character also has a permanent super leaf.

For Urbosa:

Versus: :ultpalutena: (Purple/Cyan dress)
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Rules: Paly favors her counter. Lightning (like Pika's dSpecial) strikes the battlefield randomly. Koume/Kotake do not appear.
Demi-fiend:
Vs. Wolf: blue costume
Stage: Find Mii (Omega)
Rules: Wolf is set to 66.6%. His percent cannot be increased, so you have to kill him in unconventional ways. Only combatant assist trophies will spawn occasionally.

Doom Slayer
Vs. Samus: green costume
Stage: Norfair (Battlefield)
Rules: Stamina match. He has 999 hp. Your own HP is set to 666 hp. All hits do twice the damage. Guns spawn throughout the arena, which Samus will pick up. "Demonic" or "Evil" assist trophies spawn occasionally. Samus will not use them. Your side will have 1 HP animal characters spawn indefinitely on your team.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So it turns out this does indeed have a small bit of issue...hmm hope they censor it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don't really agree with all the people saying it's not that big of a deal imo... please don't flame me.
Fun fact.

I own the Game & Watch machine that the move is based on.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So it turns out this does indeed have a small bit of issue...hmm hope they censor it.
Don't really agree with all the people saying it's not that big of a deal imo... please don't flame me.
Was that a pun?

Anyway, I actually agree that I think it might be best to move away from a sensitive topic like that. I think Nintendo should remove the feather, though this is the final build so it would have to be a day 1 patch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They probably won't change it to a minor removal, otherwise the reference is lost. Best thing to do would be to just revert G&W back to just himself.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It seems that characters are either being repped with assists or costumes, not both. Lip, Chibi Robo, Ray, and Saki are all costumes. This could explain why Saki and Ray have been cut, and why an Isaac Mii outfit hasn't been seen
Skull Kid has a Mii Outfit and is an Assist

NineS

Smash Lord
They say it's easily patchable, but..

I don't know. Whether or not it's actually easy to patch, if you ask me, is dependent on whether or not all of :ultgnw: forms are actually flat, or they're still 3D models.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok, here's a fun slightly depressing game we can play:

Imagine (for many of us, this is a reality) that your favorite(s) are Spirits. How do their battles play out?
Who is the playable character standing in for them?
What costume?
What stage?
What modifiers?

Versus: :ultsimon:, default costume
Stage: Summit
Rules: Simon has high knockback on attacks. Assist Trophies are the only items and spawn infrequently containing only Rathalos

For Tails:

Versus: :ultfox: (orange costume) or :ultmiifighters: (Gunner, 2222, Tails costume)
Stage: Windy Hill Zone
Rules: Character favors aerial attacks. Character has lower gravity and powered-up aerials. Character also has a permanent super leaf.

For Urbosa:

Versus: :ultpalutena: (Purple/Cyan dress)
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Rules: Paly favors her counter. Lightning (like Pika's dSpecial) strikes the battlefield randomly. Koume/Kotake do not appear.
I think Ashley is already a spirit battle...

kylexv

Smash Master
They probably won't change it to a minor removal, otherwise the reference is lost. Best thing to do would be to just revert G&W back to just himself.
So here we have the Disney route (ignoring the past) versus the Warner Bros. route (acknowledging the past, but realizing the mistakes and errs in depictions of other races in the past). I don't want to get that much into it since I really don't like discussing this type of stuff.

But seeing as they censored the Inkling Girl "up yours" gesture in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (as with Bowser in Mario RPG), I won't be surprised if they remove the feather.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here it is

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I don't think Mii Costumes share that same realm of decreasing chances. At this point, almost all of the Mii Costumes, or at least significant ones, have been promoted in some shape and form. Here's a graph from my "Case of Heihachi" post.

View attachment 175480
We saw the Toad outfit during the direct. It's in the Nintendo Switch Mobile App section.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So here we have the Disney route (ignoring the past) versus the Warner Bros. route (acknowledging the past, but realizing the mistakes and errs in depictions of other races in the past). I don't want to get that much into it since I really don't like discussing this type of stuff.

But seeing as they censored the Inkling Girl "up yours" gesture in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (as with Bowser in Mario RPG), I won't be surprised if they remove the feather.
Imagine thinking to yourself that :ultgnw: of all characters would be involved in a race-based issue, when the game was first revealed. I wouldn't expect it, and I want this issue to end soon...

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I won't be disappointed if they censor it, but at the same time I really wish people didn't get so easily offended by everything nowadays. ResetEra needs to stop trying to police the rest of the Internet and Nintendo. Most people don't care about them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently Spawn is gonna talk about The Game Awards. Y'know, for potential DLC fighters for Smash Ultimate.
To be clear, I don't know when. He said he'd talk about that during Smash talk.

YIKES.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, the thing is, it's really only an issue here in the states. I showed it to several of my Asian and European friends and the reference was completely lost on them.

It'll really come down to how much of a stink this causes here stateside.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Heh, I took (from what I can deduce, anyway) being ignored pretty lightly, but honestly, it is a little disheartening, and there probably are others that have done that, now that I think about it. Oh well, that's what happens when you're infatuated with a green character, and constantly express your love for them... wait.
You asked for this curse.

Please burn this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hope they don’t patch the Mr. Game and Watch animation.
I'll be honest, I also don't want it gone. I'm fine with the reference, but I can understand why others don't. The only thing I don't like is that it is understandably unable to be fixed by release, which will possibly make others flame up the company for "ignoring" them or whatever.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I don't quite get what's wrong with it? Some Native Americans were pretty terrible so it shouldn't be a big deal if they have an homage to some dumb old game. What's next? Portraying Germans as Nazi's in WWII games won't be allowed? Oh wait they already banned the swastika in the new battlefield so Idk anymore

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I won't be disappointed if they censor it, but at the same time I really wish people didn't get so easily offended by everything nowadays. ResetEra needs to stop trying to police the rest of the Internet and Nintendo. Most people don't care about them.
Yeah, I wish people wouldn't get offended over stereotypes that dehumanize and **** on them, the cowards!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well... Spawncast are all laughing and talking about the fall about the Grinch leaks and they all says and seems to confirm that Geno is indeed a spirit-

Shroob

Sup?
gamenwatch_fire_attack_gba_censorship.jpg

If it gets too bad, they can just change it like they did in the Game and Watch Gallery remake.

But I'm also not super touchy-feely about this kind of stuff to begin with.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Although I do see why some people would be upset...

I wish people didn't get offended by every little reference.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What's next? Portraying Germans as Nazi's in WWII games won't be allowed?
Hate to burst your bubble but Germany actually censors that stuff. It's the same scenario here but the Native Americans are in the Nazi's place because historically we were more ***** to them than the times they were to us.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well... Spawncast are all laughing and talking about the fall about the Grinch leaks and they all says and seems to confirm that Geno is indeed a spirit-
Imagine being a spirit!
ef4.gif

If they patch it out, the reference would be lost. If they don't, then a lot of people would probably get upset over it.

Pick your poison.
Yeah, would rather lose a reference instead of leaving a ****ty stereotype in there

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really like to stay away from any topics in games that involve race, as complaints can be wildly inconsistent. Seriously, that animation, from what I hear, is 2 frames. Maybe that fact is wrong, but not everyone around the world is taking this in any amount, but just us, it seems.

Heh, I took (from what I can deduce, anyway) being ignored pretty lightly, but honestly, it is a little disheartening, and there probably are others that have done that, now that I think about it. Oh well, that's what happens when you're infatuated with a green character, and constantly express your love for them... wait.

Please burn this.
What's wrong?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I wish people wouldn't get offended over stereotypes that dehumanize and **** on them, the cowards!
I mean, I get where you're coming from but, should we burn every old Western movie about cowboys and Indians while we're at it.

I'm not saying the past is nice looking, but to just turn a blind eye to "This never happened" is equally just as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom