• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was here this morning and people were discussing diversity in video games and 8 hours later I'm back and now people are talking about my boy game and watch being racist? Hwat??
Basically, his side smash references a pretty racist Game & watch game...

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Tbh I wouldn't take Spawn's thing too seriously. I really don't think he'd be able to know whether or not spirits deconfirm characters, that's really just Sakurai's call.
Also besides the controversy going on right now, all the buffs and the redesign G&W have been getting appeases me. I've been a Game and Watch main since Brawl, so seeing my boy finally get some attention is pleasing.
Personally think those frames should get patched out eventually tho

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Aren't Spirits pretty much Trophies? Does that change anything if a character is a spirit since we've seen plenty of evidence that they are pretty much that?

But i digress.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I know we want to move past the ResetEra thread so I'll just say that as a Native American, I legit don't see the problem with the G&W move. The past is the past and we need to acknowledge where we've been from (as the move does, as it's a reference) in order to move to reconciliation in the present. Through referencing something unfortunate, we then understand why it isn't acceptable to do that anymore.

Basically, referencing something from the 80s isn't a problem in current year. It's totally different, for example, from giving Mario an Indigenous headdress in Odyssey.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well then. Seems like Spawn's changing his stance a bit from a VGAs reveal to an E3 reveal for DLC, to let the game breathe for 6 months.
Huh.
That's actually Nate's stance- Spawn's seems that it can be truth, and that if it's not a DLC for the VGA it would be Metroid Prima 4 world premiere

Shroob

Sup?
Can we all just take a step back and..... not?

Like, I'm sorry, but this is going to do nothing but cause a petty fight and get the mods involved.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Neither sides were innocent. White man wasn't the only ones guilty of atrocities. Native Americans, Australian aborigines and Africans any other ethic race were no doubt guilty of the same crimes as well. What do you think Native Americans were doing before Europeans arrived? They obviously were genociding other cultures and tribes in small scale wars.

We can only judge those on their actions, not their ancestors. All humanity can do is learn from their ancestors mistakes and make the world a better place regardless of race.

This is why racism is so pointless...-_-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not the move itself, it's the context behind it. Alone it means nothing. With the source material, it's suddenly a problem, which I personally disagree with. But it does seem to be a vocal minority at the moment, so it may actually influence Nintendo's hand.

YOUR LEAKER'S SLIPPING
MAYMAYDAY MAN DOWN WE'RE LOSING ALTITUDE
To be fair, this was when we didn't even know when DLC was gonna be announced. The fact that it's straight up "Hey, DLC is coming" and outline ALL the info, unlike how Smash 4 was, it isn't all that unreasonable to change your stance a bit.

Aside from Smash, he's hoping for Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Prime 4. It makes sense, we need to know about it at this rate.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm sorry, but what's the actual racist thing here? Historically it's pretty fair, if you ask me.
I mean, yes...

But i'ts kinda like those banned WWII Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons involving Nazis and racist Japanese caricatures...
Sure they're representing an interesting part of history...
But they really shouldn't be brought up nowadays

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh yeah, NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy . Does Simon's 7th alt remind you of his Castlevania Chronicles design? I can sorta see some slight similarities, but I could be terribly wrong.

I think that's probably what their aiming for, yeah, but the hair really isn't crimson enough. It's more of a light brown. The armor is the same way. Maybe it's just because of the lighting on the video though I dunno.

Short answer: yeah, mostly.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm sorry, but what's the actual racist thing here? Historically it's pretty fair, if you ask me.
I don't see it either, other than the word savage. I know that Native Americans were not always treated fairly, but does that really translate to what they are doing in the game as racist?

Can we all just take a step back and..... not?

Like, I'm sorry, but this is going to do nothing but cause a petty fight and get the mods involved.
I agree. We pretty much should stop with this.

D

Deleted member

That's actually Nate's stance- Spawn's seems that it can be truth, and that if it's not a DLC for the VGA it would be Metroid Prima 4 world premiere
Oh ****, you're right. Spawn's still good then. Misunderstanding.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
But...geno ISN'T a spirit. He's only an icon IN spirit mode, but he isn't a spirit.
Correct Geno was not shown as a spirit.
He was shown as a player icon.
However, it's not a stretch to assume that if the icon image/ jpg of Geno exists as an icon, that art likely exists as a spirit as well. Reason being other icon art are also spirits.

The good news is, Spirits are essentially trophies. Trophies did not deconfirm characters in Smash 4. Trophies existed of Lucas and Mewtwo before they became playable. Plus all playable characters have multiple trophies usually any way. KKR is a spirit and playable character in ultimate as well.

If anything the Geno image/ icon is a good sign. There is very little square content in smash ultimate.. This at least shows Sakurai still has licensing or rights to Geno or Geno's likeness... Perhaps in a capacity that extends to being playable DLC. Who knows.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, yes...
You say yes but you actually don't provide what I asked?
I'm assuming the "savage" adjective is used in a manual or something. If it isn't, my care for this subject is gone and I'll consider it as an inflated complaint. Then I'll point out how the sprite looks like it has a dingdong poking out to not talk about the feather.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I know we want to move past the ResetEra thread so I'll just say that as a Native American, I legit don't see the problem with the G&W move. The past is the past and we need to acknowledge where we've been from (as the move does, as it's a reference) in order to move to reconciliation in the present. Through referencing something unfortunate, we then understand why it isn't acceptable to do that anymore.

Basically, referencing something from the 80s isn't a problem in current year. It's totally different, for example, from giving Mario an Indigenous headdress in Odyssey.
You say yes but you actually don't provide what I asked?
I'm assuming the "savage" adjective is used in a manual or something. If it isn't, my care for this subject is gone and I'll consider it as an inflated complaint. Then I'll point out how the sprite looks like it has a dingdong poking out to not talk about the feather.
Yes, but the Native Americans in the FIre game, are the bad guys, with big teeth and stuff... Not really culturally correct nowadays, if you ask me...

Last edited:

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Basically, his side smash references a pretty racist Game & watch game...
I googled it and saw it. I mean I can see why some people might think that it's racist but when i was a kid people used to play Cowboys vs Indians all the time and that game and watch game came out before I was born. Back then a lot of things were stereotypical but I don't think the intention was malicious. Idk. I'm indifferent if Nintendo censors it or not but I don't think that the game was designed with the intent to insult Native Americans. I think it was just referencing a period of history when cowboys and Indians were battling.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Are we sure icons and spirits are different? We already have all this artwork in the game, so why don't we just allow for all of it to be used as an icon?

Also, this racist game and watch stuff is stupid. You can barely even tell what he's supposed to look like, and if you didn't know which game and watch game it was based on, you wouldn't even be able to tell it was supposedly racist

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, but the Native Americans in the FIre game, are the bad guys, with big teeth and stuff... Not really culturally correct nowadays, if you ask me...
Okay but is that racist or just politically incorrect? They aren't synonyms.

kylexv

Smash Master
Just a reminder from six-months-ago me:
No matter how little or how much research and speculation will be done, we will be wrong no matter what.
Tell me somebody expected the final roster of any Smash title before it released. Oh wait, that didn't happen.
Also:
I just want another character like :4wiifit:. One that collectively blows the entire internet's minds.
I'm the type a guy who thinks super unexpected characters (including retro characters) are super hilarious and, most of the time, fun to play.
:ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Okay, i'm dropping the whole Game and Watch Side Smash thing....
Sorry about that

So....
If there were a Smash 6, who would be the newcomers?

Shroob

Sup?
Reminder:

:ultlittlemac:

Has one of the most politically incorrect games in Nintendo's library period, yet I never see people complain about it.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Ok, here's a fun slightly depressing game we can play:

Imagine (for many of us, this is a reality) that your favorite(s) are Spirits. How do their battles play out?
Who is the playable character standing in for them?
What costume?
What stage?
What modifiers?

Versus: :ultsimon:, default costume
Stage: Summit
Rules: Simon has high knockback on attacks. Assist Trophies are the only items and spawn infrequently containing only Rathalos

For Tails:

Versus: :ultfox: (orange costume) or :ultmiifighters: (Gunner, 2222, Tails costume)
Stage: Windy Hill Zone
Rules: Character favors aerial attacks. Character has lower gravity and powered-up aerials. Character also has a permanent super leaf.

For Urbosa:

Versus: :ultpalutena: (Purple/Cyan dress)
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Rules: Paly favors her counter. Lightning (like Pika's dSpecial) strikes the battlefield randomly. Koume/Kotake do not appear.
For Crash:
Versus: Incineroar (Orange alt)
Stage: Kongo Jungle 64
Rules: Incineroar mostly uses the Darkest Lariat move. Boxes frequently appear.

For Karate Joe:
Versus: Ryu (Light Blue alt)
Stage: Wii Fit Studio
Rules: Barrels and Rolling Boxes will constantly spawn which Ryu will hit towards you. Bob-ombs will be thrown at you as well.

For Eggman:
Versus: Roy Koopa
Stage: Wily Castle
Rules: Runs around and mainly uses Mechakoopas. A tiny red Mega Man and yellow ROB will also be on the stage walking around and attempting to fight you.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Just a reminder from six-months-ago me:
This is a good point.

There's the obvious picks that we get right, and then suddenly we think we can guess the entire roster.

Then we get ****ing piranha plant. Feel like DLC isn't going to be as set in stone as some believe either, as in we're not going to get all 5 correct in speculation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So at this point, YouTube on Switch is pretty much confirmed, Spawn's seen a lot of stuff get confirmed on it, especially with it being on Nintendo's site.

Looks like we have a 10-0 streak now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Reminder:

:ultlittlemac:

Has one of the most politically incorrect games in Nintendo's library period, yet I never see people complain about it.
I think some people did complain.

Which is why Pizza Pasta is no longer a character, and "Vodka Drunkenski" is "Soda Popinski" now.
I get what you mean but it depends on what you mean, if you get what I mean.
It means whatever you want it to mean, know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom