• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Actually, I believe Zach was spotted as a Spirit. No Assists is definitely a bummer though. And Steve Burton isn't coming in because of something legal I believe.

But you can chalk up not having any songs to UEMATSUUUUUUUUUUU

Final Fantasy 7-10 have some of my favorite music tracks from video games, but they're in his possession, not Square's IIRC. Which blows. But there's not much we can do about it, especially with his health waning in the past few years.
If the issue with Steve involves a union, it's something every other company has managed to work around, and Steve has clearly said he'd love to voice Cloud. I can't imagine what else could possibly be an issue if he's able to voice Cloud in Disney-Owned games, of all things.

And I don't recall seeing Zack, and I've been pretty thorough with Spirits so far. If someone else has a source, that'd at least help me shut up a bit.

And sure, Uematsu, I get that, Sonic has a similar issue with the compositions from Sonic 1 and 2 and their royalties. But we have 11 other FF games to pull from. Square has still used plenty of songs from 7 in their other games, Dissidia is full of em. Heck, do Crisis Core or something, just... more than two songs. Not even Sonic can get away with using 1 and 2 music that much anymore (They never remix songs from it anymore, and when they do like with Mania, they aren't on the official OST), yet clearly Square at least still has the means to comfortably acquire the music.

I dunno. It's just rubbing me the wrong way.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sakurai explicitly stated that aside from Piranha Plant the DLC choices haven't been finalized yet. Just figure that'd be useful info for some of you already arguing senselessly.
No, he said Piranha Plant was the only one started. He directly said the DLC roster was already decided on at the start of development and Rex wasn't known at the time and thus didn't make the cut.
"While Rex didn't quite make the roster, hopefully this costume makes you feel like you are playing as him!"

Some Smash fans: Rex will be a DLC newcomer, guys!

lol
He could still be if they decide to do a Fighter Pass 2.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you prefer :ultryu: or :ultken:? Not on like a personal level, but with playstyles.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Im kind of sad about no echoes for the five DLC because that means no Jeanne or Bayonetta reps unless they decide to add Lumen Sage as a playable or maybe someone from 3

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So basically:

Papa's source believed the Grinch leak, or was this just a case of telephone gone wrong?
I don't know if the source believed the leak, but the source gave him reason to believe the leak.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Sigh, got over myself. Gonna get this game after all.

Not on release day, but probably sometime after my finals, when I'm on Christmas break.

It'd be unfair for me to deny myself good memories with friends and hype of the best smash game ever over some poor roster decisions, and those poor decisions are overshadowed by picks like K Rool anyway.

I let myself lose sight of just how great Sakurai has made ultimate. Although single player looks meh I'll probably still find some enjoyment in it.

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure Nintendo really cares that much about Geno. I think Sakurai probably wanted Geno in, but Square Enix said no and gave them Sora instead (or a FF character)
that'd be my guess too about Geno
Problem about Geno is, he doesn't do any promotion at all for Square Enix as he isn't labelled as one of their franchises, but his rights wouldn't cost too much
But Sora isn't theirs to give, Sakurai would have to ask for Sora specifically. But i'm not saying here that he is impossible to get.

I do think if Sakurai asked for Sora he'd get it, also Sora could have a gimmick a bit similar to kirby with his keyblade and different nintendo themes in smash. Disney isn't a problem, they'll just ask Nomura for permission and he'll say yes

If Square Enix has to choose which one they give, it'd be either Dragon Quest, or Sephiroth or Noctis as chill characters. And i dont think Sakurai would even want Sephiroth or Noctis as they don't offer him gimmicks or video game history (Sephiroth doesn't add anything Cloud didn't bring)
Not 2B because she is a guest from Soul Calibur, and when you get a guest like that you kinda want the exclusivity of it.
I didn't mention Chrono because i don't think Sakurai would take him as an interesting gameplay character nor a relevant one in the heart of fans (Geno would be first)

so i rule out chrono, sephiroth, noctis, or any final fantasy represent as i think Sakurai would want to move on

Because the way i feel it, Ultimate is all about making history, Sakurai managed to bring Castlevania legend and Bomberman to the game, his goal is still to make the biggest cross over in history, not to please the ballot, spirit mode helped him a bit in representing everything he could

So what Sakurai is lacking in his game right now is Dragon Quest or Kingdom Heart. My guts tell me it's between these two.

Dragon Quest is iconic, historic, old, and still relevant and popular, representing Dragon Quest would be like bringing back pacman, simon belmont or megaman to smash, it's another step further in the cross over

Kingdom Heart on the other hand is another king of cross over, and is even more popular but its history is way more recent and bound to PS2, also it's easier to get compared to dragon quest, which seems weird to say but dragon quest is a nightmare of property rights, while Sora is just Disney and they are apparently opened for this

At last Geno poses no difficulty at all, serves a part of the fanbase due to the ballot, but isn't iconic nor promotional compared to the last two

Iridium

Smash Hero

Heard about this yesterday, but never saw it. :ultgreninja: still has Secret Ninja Attack for his FS, but as Ash-Greninja. Eh, I'm not disappointed, because I like it anyway.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
No, he said Piranha Plant was the only one started. He directly said the DLC roster was already decided on at the start of development and Rex wasn't known at the time and thus didn't make the cut.

He could still be if they decide to do a Fighter Pass 2.
True. But only if we do get a 2nd season of DLC.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
We may get a second batch with Crash if the first one sells great.
I don’t think Nintendo is gonna double dip on the charcters after getting those 5 cause it is gonna be really expensive if they do, considering that we already are up to 25$ for 5.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aaaand I'm already seeing people suggest that the ballot will influence which characters we get for DLC.

I'm done talking about the ballot. Feels like everytime we got a newcomer in Ultimate, people either tried to exaggerate how well the character did on the ballot, or basically say, "Well, this one is an exception. The rest of the newcomers will be ballot characters."

Sorry ladies and gents, but I don't think the ballot means nearly as much to Sakurai as you guys wanted it to. It may have gotten us a character or two, but it seems like he's back to doing his own thing again.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think this puts Geno in a pretty good spot, considering the ballot was VERY relevant during that time.

My question is what does this mean for Sora? Was he a real ballot contender?
Sora did very well in the ballot. Better than Geno I would say.
I'd argue he's more than possible for base roster though. Kingdom Hearts was as popular then as it is today. It's always been a pretty popular series, and Sora likely did well on the ballot because as I said before, the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallied around him for Smash. And by "community," I mean the entire Kingdom Hearts subreddit, fan forums, youtubers with over 10,000s subscribers making videos and tweeting telling their viewers to vote for Sora, Smash fans who just like Sora, and casual players of both games. I wouldn't be surprised if Sora ranked top 25 worldwide, if not top 15, or even top 10 in the ballot. People have wanted Sora as early as in Brawl, as evidenced by his showing up on Sakurai's Brawl Poll. Pre and Post-Sm4sh people asked for him, and people are still asking for him. Heck, there's currently a post on the Kingdom Hearts reddit with 1300 upvotes about Sora being in Smash (link here).

Dude's more likely than a lot of people think.
I find the facts about Sora's fanbase pretty interesting. Specifically this one:
  • The characters with the most brigaders were Sora (more than half his voters came from non-reddit referrers) and Phoenix Wright (a third of his voters came from non-reddit referrers).
I feel like this provides evidence of my claim that Sora did well in the Ballot but not fan ballots because his fanbase doesn't overlap with those that do fan polls like this. Of course, the size of the Smash poll is what brought a lot of fans to it, but most Sora fans don't participate in smaller fan polls like the ones we cite.
  • Isaac receives considerably more support from Europe than from the US, while Geno's support stems almost exclusively from the US.
I hate to bring up the old Geno argument, but I found this fact interesting as well:

Geno isn't as popular worldwide as we think he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he was passed up in favor of a more overall supported character (Sora or Erdrick) who performed better universally on the ballot or is overall more popular.
I would also argue that attention on Geno was diverted during the ballot era as core Smash fans are his main supporters and, core Smash fans were busy voting in droves for K. Rool, who was the main focus of the fanbase during the Ballot era.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Heard about this yesterday, but never saw it. :ultgreninja: still has Secret Ninja Attack for his FS, but as Ash-Greninja. Eh, I'm not disappointed, because I like it anyway.
It's pretty cool that they incorporated more of the anime into it.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Sigh, got over myself. Gonna get this game after all.

Not on release day, but probably sometime after my finals, when I'm on Christmas break.

It'd be unfair for me to deny myself good memories with friends and hype of the best smash game ever over some poor roster decisions, and those poor decisions are overshadowed by picks like K Rool anyway.

I let myself loose sight of just how great Sakurai has made ultimate. Although single player looks meh I'll probably still find some enjoyment in it.
At the risk of sounding rude...told ya so.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Aaaand I'm already seeing people suggest that the ballot will influence which characters we get for DLC.

I'm done talking about the ballot. Feels like everytime we got a newcomer in Ultimate, people either tried to exaggerate how well the character did on the ballot, or basically say, "Well, this one is an exception. The rest of the newcomers will be ballot characters."

Sorry ladies and gents, but I don't think the ballot means nearly as much to Sakurai as you guys wanted it to. It may have gotten us a character or two, but it seems like he's back to doing his own thing again.
The ballot - or fan requests - definitely got K Rool, Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus in - since Sakurai said they were all requested. But yeah, besides that it seems like Sakurai added who he wanted to add like usual. Which is fine, I dig Simon and PP, and a new Pokemon was a given

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
that'd be my guess too about Geno
Problem about Geno is, he doesn't do any promotion at all for Square Enix as he isn't labelled as one of their franchises, but his rights wouldn't cost too much
But Sora isn't theirs to give, Sakurai would have to ask for Sora specifically. But i'm not saying here that he is impossible to get.

I do think if Sakurai asked for Sora he'd get it, also Sora could have a gimmick a bit similar to kirby with his keyblade and different nintendo themes in smash. Disney isn't a problem, they'll just ask Nomura for permission and he'll say yes

If Square Enix has to choose which one they give, it'd be either Dragon Quest, or Sephiroth or Noctis as chill characters. And i dont think Sakurai would even want Sephiroth or Noctis as they don't offer him gimmicks or video game history (Sephiroth doesn't add anything Cloud didn't bring)
Not 2B because she is a guest from Soul Calibur, and when you get a guest like that you kinda want the exclusivity of it.
I didn't mention Chrono because i don't think Sakurai would take him as an interesting gameplay character nor a relevant one in the heart of fans (Geno would be first)

so i rule out chrono, sephiroth, noctis, or any final fantasy represent as i think Sakurai would want to move on

Because the way i feel it, Ultimate is all about making history, Sakurai managed to bring Castlevania legend and Bomberman to the game, his goal is still to make the biggest cross over in history, not to please the ballot, spirit mode helped him a bit in representing everything he could

So what Sakurai is lacking in his game right now is Dragon Quest or Kingdom Heart. My guts tell me it's between these two.

Dragon Quest is iconic, historic, old, and still relevant and popular, representing Dragon Quest would be like bringing back pacman, simon belmont or megaman to smash, it's another step further in the cross over

Kingdom Heart on the other hand is another king of cross over, and is even more popular but its history is way more recent and bound to PS2, also it's easier to get compared to dragon quest, which seems weird to say but dragon quest is a nightmare of property rights, while Sora is just Disney and they are apparently opened for this

At last Geno poses no difficulty at all, serves a part of the fanbase due to the ballot, but isn't iconic nor promotional compared to the last two
I agree 100%, and I think either Sora or Dragon Quest make the most sense. I couldn't have said this better myself.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

I think K Rool and Ridley were his chosen ones from the ballot. Everyone else probably got BTFO'd from consideration as he's moved on to other picks. He may pull a Bayonetta and say "oh these scored well on the ballot," even though we know they probably weren't top contenders.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it's best for the community to assume that this DLC is all we're getting until stated otherwise. Otherwise we end up thinking something is possible when it still isn't

ALSO CHROM STILL BEING ROBIN'S FINAL SMASH MAKES PERFECT SENSE CAUSE HE WAS UGLY AS **** SO HE REALLY WAS ADDED IN LAST MINUTE AFTER ALL

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
you know if theres one good thing about trophies being replaced with PNGs

its that alot of obscure characters artwork only existing as ****ty grainy scans online now have higher quality official art available straight out of Nintendo's vault

maybe we'll finally get the official art from FE Fates that never released in here hahahaha
I wonder how many people today would even know who she is.
...I wonder how many people who played Wario Land 4 even know her name? I didn't think it's really stated there.

Shokora would be an interesting left-field fighter in Smash.
Her moveset could be a mix of fighting as her normal self like Peach, prop attacks, like setting up a Visorman, and her various transformations.
I'd be down for her just as long as we get Captain Syrup first.

---

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We saw the World of Light menu icon, and we see Rathalos, Galeem, Werewolf King Bulbin and Lumen Sage on it. Possibly just random spirits thrown around but god that'd be sick to fight them as bosses
>Lumen Sage boss fight
That ****** was the first thing that caught my attention when Bayo 2 was being shown in Directs.
He has such a sick ass design and fighting style I'd be ecstasic to have him as a boss even if I have never played a Bayonetta game. im just a sucker for cool mask or armor designs okay

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know if the source believed the leak, but the source gave him reason to believe the leak.
So then is the source credible or not? Because there was the Banjo claim before the Grinch leak came out that Papa apparently knew about...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Is it because he's American?
Are you asking if I prefer Ken more because he's American? That's not it. Was he designed by Americans or the Japanese? I just think he looks better than Ryu, that's all. Honestly I usually prefer Japanese characters to American characters in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom