• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero

More Ultimate, and more Sakurai!

Hey, this is for those who haven't seen it.

Ultimate :ultgreninja:'d. :troll:

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That and Sakuri said that he likes the character, but if I were square, would I seriously want Geno to be in smash? My theory is Nintendo wanted Geno for smash but square didn’t so instead they countered with Sora and Nintendo accepted.
I'm not sure Nintendo really cares that much about Geno. I think Sakurai probably wanted Geno in, but Square Enix said no and gave them Sora instead (or a FF character)

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
The eyes of that render look nearly identical to the paper mario render in the spirits mode.
Yes, but the hammer is different.
Not to mention the hammer looks similar to the second paper mario render you posted.
Yes, but the eyes are different.

The point I’m trying to make is that the render has never been shown before, and so, it could be new.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Same here, that's just what people on here have said
On that note I really think sharing the ballot results would probably end up a bad idea at this point. The hardcore fandom on forums won't accept it unless it conforms with their wants anyway. The only piece of info we have about the ballot is considered a complete lie by a portion of people here so you can imagine how people are going to act if characters they didn't like ended up being higher than they thought and whatever character they treated as the holy grail ended up being lower than people assumed. :/

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still believe the most hurtfull loss and deconfirmation was
"Yup. It's him!"
For bomberman
Nah.
Waluigi's Ultimate deconfirmation was way worse. He didn't get recognized and got killed off to show a mechanic.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
On that note I really think sharing the ballot results would probably end up a bad idea at this point. The hardcore fandom on forums won't accept it unless it conforms with their wants anyway. The only piece of info we have about the ballot is considered a complete lie by a portion of people here so you can imagine how people are going to act if characters they didn't like ended up being higher than they thought and whatever character they treated as the holy grail ended up being lower than people assumed. :/
Very true. Again, there's no pleasing the Smash community. lol. No matter who gets in, some people will be happy and some people will not

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Beyond even that we don't really have a sold idea of how the ballot actually was outside some fan polls which even the biggest ones tend to only represent a very small portion of the fandom.
*I don’t want to cross into policitcal belief territory so I hope I don’t offend anyone by saying this.

Exactly. This is just like the 2016 election where every media was convinced Clinton was going to win and Trump one. Just because you have a ballot where some people voice their opinions doesn’t mean that that is what the masses wants.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Fair point. It's possible that it could for some of the characters, but do we know for sure that the dlc characters were chosen at the same time as the base roster? Or were they simply chosen before the game was finished (aka before this last direct)?
During the time the DLC section/Rex Mii costume reveal Sakurai stated:

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning has started."

If were going directly based off of what Sakurai said then EVERYONE (base and DLC) was planned at the exact same time.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Yes, but the hammer is different.

Yes, but the eyes are different.

The point I’m trying to make is that the render has never been shown before, and so, it could be new.
True, but in your first post you overreacted a bit...it doesn't really mean a new paper mario game.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
During the time the DLC section/Rex Mii costume revealSakurai stated:

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning has started."

If were going directly based off of what Sakurai said then EVERYONE (base and DLC) was planned at the exact same time.
You're right. After re-watching that part, he does say exactly what you say. But I still don't think that affects any of the rumored/leaked characters for DLC

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

This alongside Magmoor Caverns/Lower Norfair tells me they're adding in overdue songs. Though Dark Samus' battle theme seems to be a new glaring omission
Oh it's a song. lol did that just get confirmed to be in the game or something?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’m fine with everything in the game - deconfirmed characters included - except for Robin’s new final smash.

It’s some lazy weaksauce

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, I'm pretty miffed at Square right now.
My Geno bias aside, there is CLEARLY some disconnect with them compared to the other third parties in Smash right now. I attributed:ultcloud:'s limited representation in 4 to it being a more limited, DLC budget, but now that we know as much as we do about Ultimate, there's really no other justification.

Two songs, neither of them remixes. No assist trophy. Not a single Spirit in sight yet. No English/Steve Burton option. Final Fantasy got JIPPED. I dunno what the deal is, but I don't like it.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know, I think I remember seeing a confirmation that we would get to see some of World of Light (not a lot) at the end of the Nintendo Live event...

I'll look for it, but I would appreciate if someone can inform me if that's true.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I’m fine with everything in the game - deconfirmed characters included - except for Robin’s new final smash.

It’s some lazy weaksauce
I understand that some people are upset with Robin's final smash, but compared to all the new and awesome final smashes we got, it's not that big of a deal, I think

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

This alongside Magmoor Caverns/Lower Norfair tells me they're adding in overdue songs. Though Dark Samus' battle theme seems to be a new glaring omission
You forgot the F-Zero GX soundtrack and Primal Dialga...

and also a Tazmilly Village remix

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I understand that some people are upset with Robin's final smash, but compared to all the new and awesome final smashes we got, it's not that big of a deal, I think
I can’t wait to sick Chrom on Chrom

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I think this meme is silly, but this is overacting.

Of course I'm a disgusting degenerate who's been all over the internet so this doesn't bother me.
I'm just kidding, your not going to lose your sanity over this. The original comic was funny, but then the weebs...

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
You know, I think I remember seeing a confirmation that we would get to see some of World of Light (not a lot) at the end of the Nintendo Live event...

I'll look for it, but I would appreciate if someone can inform me if that's true.
If you mean the one from yesterday, we saw how classic is evokes the source material of each fighter in some way, we saw a lot of spirits mechanics and we saw some menus. We did not see World of Light.

Are they supposed to do one today?

D

Deleted member

Robin's Final Smash is lame on multiple levels.
  1. It's just Chrom again. I can understand adding in a uniquely designed character would take some extra modeling, but Shulk got Fiora and the Earthbound characters got 2 helpers each, so I didn't think a character to replace Chrom would be a problem. Hell, just use Morgan and you can copy 95% of the assets since Morgan and Robin wear the same outfits. Using Chrom against Chrom himself feels tacky. A Grima FS would've also been neat.
  2. They got rid of a cool part of Robin's FS from 4, the Awakening crit animation cut-in. Sure, it's more streamlined with the rest of the Final Smash's now with the eye-focused Persona-like cut-in, but the Awakening cut-in made the FS much more unique imo.

Also, Richter. It's hard to find a GIF right now for Richter's Final Smash, but it's just Grand Cross, the same as Simon. Richter's Final Smash should've totally been Hydro Storm.
If they weren't gonna chanhe Robin's FS they should have shown it with Chrom's reveal. "Btw, Chrom still pairs up with Robin in their Final Smash"

Richter is disappointinng but I expected it to be the same from the start and with how the Hydro Storm reference was done with Distant Planet's rain.
Dunno why it couldn't be HS tho, I doubt it would be hard to program since all it needs is the rain effects which are already in the game. Not that Grand Cross is bad, I just don't like repeated Final Smashes.

And let's not talk about Peach's Final Smash because... *Sigh*
ok but imagine if later updates changed character final smashes it wont happen but i can dream
Rex will, at the very least, not be in the first DLC set, that's for sure.

That doesn't mean he can't be DLC eventually, obviously.
If we were to get a second DLC set, we would have heard of a second ballot imo. It would give plenty of time for them to find out what the community wants the most before they finish releasing the already planned DLC.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if you were to say "I'd be happy if this character doesn't get in, but I'd still congratulate that character's fans if that character does get in." Is that disrespectful?
That seems like double-think to me, as in thinking two contradictory thoughts at once. In this case, it just comes across as you wanting to cover all of your bases in case the character does get in.

At the end of the day, "I'd be happy if x character doesn't get in" is a mean statement, and at best can be neutral given good context.
If DLC was planned in 2015, what position does that leave Katalina in since Granblue only came out in 2014?
Not good. If this is true and we're getting Katalina (or negotiations for DLC are still ongoing) I'd say we're likely going to see a second season of DLC, or at the very least more characters than our current 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom