• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's pretty clear at this point I'll happily eat up anything with NieR/Drakengard.

Except Drakengard 2.

Sweet garlic bread, listening to myself speak, I've realized I've really become that 'NieR' guy.
Join the character gimmick club.
We have padded rooms for eeeeeveryone.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Looking at it

It still will be the best smash yet but I’m not happy by the fact they removed/butchered quite a few modes especially all star mode

Particually break the targets and home run contest removed all together

If they kept all star similar and had stadium and atleast one other mode from smash 4 I would have Ben more sasitifed
(Ps not smash tour that was a train wreck)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's okay to not like a character and say "I don't like x character, and here's why." I never really liked K. Rool or Ridley, and that's fine.

But to say "I'd be happy if x character didn't get in" crosses the line of disrespect, because, again, that character has fans with valid emotions that should be respected. In a way it's similar to dancing on a grave, or how some people laughed at the Grinch "leak" supporters when it was confirmed fake; to put it plainly: it's not nice.
What if you were to say "I'd be happy if this character doesn't get in, but I'd still congratulate that character's fans if that character does get in". Is that disrespectful?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So Spirits mode. I was upset that it wasn't something more, but there's some things about it I want to mention.

I played a looot of Puzzle & Dragons a few years ago, so bits and pieces of the Spirits content that they've shown does look a little appealing. I get what they're trying to do. It doesn't look bad on it's own. I would definitely play a simple game about collecting little Nintendo character cards and making them do basic quests and fights and stuff.
But,
Micromanagement and Smash Bros. is a different story. They're two things I feel don't go well together. I didn't bother using the stickers in Subspace Emissary, and the equipment and custom moves were both things that turned me off from Smash 4. And that's where my disappointment comes from, that Spirits is another form of micromanagement. The fun I get out of Smash Bros. is picking it up and getting straight to the action. There's little to no extra steps needed to play Break the Targets, Home-Run, and the rest.
GRINDING. That thought worried me the most. With mobile games like Puzzle & Dragons, that stuff is fine and I actually enjoy it because it's an entirely different type of game. It's an RPG with some puzzle mechanics. That's a game where I want to bother training my units, maximizing my damage output, building teams and stuff like that.
But,
Spirits mode may be salvaged by the fact that it doesn't seem like I'm forced to do any of that; I don't need to go through grindy processes to optimize my stats little by little. So any issue I have with the mode is now gone out the window. Now I can rest easy knowing I can just go through the story mode as simply as possible, and not bother with the Spirit management aspect at all. In fact, I'm planning to amass nothing but Lanky Kongs and Max level them all.

Sounds like a fine time to me.
On a completely different note though, I kinda wish, even though it wouldn't have been possible, the spirits were original artwork instead of preexisting renders. The idea of collecting them and admiring their craftsmanship is something that would have sold me on the mode entirely.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
HOLD THE **** UP GUYS

View attachment 175442

THIS IS A NEW PAPER MARIO RENDER WHILE ALL OTHER RENDERS ARE OLD

IS THIS A NEW PAPER MARIO GAME GUYS
If this is true

please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good

If I see another sticker in a Paper Mario game I will burn my Switch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I-it's like TTYD Paper Mario almost... I missed ya buddy.
If you keep showing side-effects of tinfoil after being exposed to Sora theories last night I'm taking you to the ER

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
It means that DLC was planned as of December 2015, and that DLC was shaped with the same thoughts as the base roster. It straight up disconfirms a bunch of characters, and narrows down selection a **** ton.
Yeah. I still think Sora is the front runner though for dlc. By this point in time, it kinda should be obvious that square is gonna get a dlc character, just a matter of who. My money is on Sora because kingdom hearts 3 was already in developement by 2015 and square probaly thought it would make the most sense to use him to bring people over to kingdom hearts. It also would work out more in Nintendo’s favor because bringing Sora in makes more people want to buy dlc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think this puts Geno in a pretty good spot, considering the ballot was VERY relevant during that time.

My question is what does this mean for Sora? Was he a real ballot contender?
:ultrichter: NOT EVERYTHING IS ATTACHED TO THE BALLOT :ultpiranha:
okay continue

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If DLC was planned in 2015, what position does that leave Katalina in since Granblue only came out in 2014?
I don't see why that would affect Katalina, since the game came out a year before planning began

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Guys Sakurai even said development of the DLC would begin as soon as the base game was done. This would imply they already know who they're going to use they just have to start actually making the characters. I think it's very likely the DLC was planned just as early as the base game.

And as I said before, it'd be odd for them to include Rex in the DLC section if they could have knowingly made him DLC. Sakurai definitely seemed like he wanted to include him but only went so far as to make him a mii costume instead of just holding off. This tells me the plans for the DLC have been set in stone for a while.

They know who they want and are ready to jump right into development as soon as they can

KMDP

Smash Legend
Japan also loved the Woah! meme. Take that with what you will.
Woah. Woah. Woah...
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77167164

So there's a rumor that the 5 DLC characters were originally going to be launch characters but didn't make it because of time restraints.
WOAH!

WOAH-WOAH-WOAH-WOAH-WOAH-WOAH-WOAH!!!
SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR REX.

BECAUSE HOW CAN YOU EXPLAIN A NIA MII COSTUME FOR BASE AND REX FOR DLC. IT EVEN SOUNDED LIKE HE REALLY WANTED TO PUT HIM IN BUT COULDN'T.

PLEASE JUST LET ME HAVE THIS MOMENT.
*hopes beyond hope that Isaac was intended for base*
If this is true it is huge, and bodes well for my Bandana boy!
Here's hoping. :)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I don't see why that would affect Katalina, since the game came out a year before planning began
For the same reason as Rex even though Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out 1 year ago. Too recent to be added.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt that a company say us at our face 'There, you got some content which was cut'.
Well, in fact some idiots did such thing some time ago, or they were caught in a lie. Bless this industry.
Mh, only one month and the dataminers will reveal everything. I don't know if the DLC was cut but planned for a long time looks sure.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77167164

So there's a rumor that the 5 DLC characters were originally going to be launch characters but didn't make it because of time restraints.
Why, and how is it that when I post a bit early than you, I get less likes, but when you post later than me, you get more likes?

I thought that the likes mattered the most when you were the first to discover it, like me...

Anyways, it does seems to line up with what I said a minute ago. It sounds big if it's true.

Last edited:

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
I think this puts Geno in a pretty good spot, considering the ballot was VERY relevant during that time.

My question is what does this mean for Sora? Was he a real ballot contender?
For goodness sakes the ballot doesn’t matter that much. Just ask an Issac fan and he will tell you the same thing. Bringing up the ballot argument is not ideal for dlc. Instead we should be bringing up who is popular for the masses. A 20 year old puppet from one game isn’t going to appeal to little kids. Something more recognizable such as a piranah plant will. I think it is safe to say that the smash ballot has served its usefulness but it is time to focus on other factors.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If the roster really is 5 characters who couldn't make the cut, then I think that gives Andy a chance given that his AT got cut. The complete absence of an Advance Wars Assist Trophy boggled my mind given how important it is to Nintendo's history. I made a big post about this in his support thread but this only gives more credence that he just might be able to make the roster. Even if it's a small chance.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Guys Sakurai even said development of the DLC would begin as soon as the base game was done. This would imply they already know who they're going to use they just have to start actually making the characters. I think it's very likely the DLC was planned just as early as the base game.

And as I said before, it'd be odd for them to include Rex in the DLC section if they could have knowingly made him DLC. Sakurai definitely seemed like he wanted to include him but only went so far as to make him a mii costume instead of just holding off. This tells me the plans for the DLC have been set in stone for a while.

They know who they want and are ready to jump right into development as soon as they can
Exactly. They know what characters they want. And I don't think we know exactly when they chose the DLC characters, just that they chose them before the game was finished

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
For the same reason as Rex even though Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out 1 year ago. Too recent to be added.
How is it too recent if the game came out in 2014? XC2 came out in 2017, so that makes sense that it was too recent, but GBF came out in 2014

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Why would he be getting **** for voicing support or a leak?

I've liked what papagenos has posted since Sm4sh. Less so the YouTube videos but they're still well spoken. Why does it matter he was wrong?
Because once you're wrong about Smash, your credibility takes a nosedive. Whether or not you're a nice person or make good content does not matter to the community; once you're "BTFO", you're BTFO for life.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
*hopes beyond hope that Isaac was intended for base*
And now he's an Assist trophy.
So... who are you hoping for that can actually make it in this first season? :smirk:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Robin's Final Smash is lame on multiple levels.
  1. It's just Chrom again. I can understand adding in a uniquely designed character would take some extra modeling, but Shulk got Fiora and the Earthbound characters got 2 helpers each, so I didn't think a character to replace Chrom would be a problem. Hell, just use Morgan and you can copy 95% of the assets since Morgan and Robin wear the same outfits. Using Chrom against Chrom himself feels tacky. A Grima FS would've also been neat.
  2. They got rid of a cool part of Robin's FS from 4, the Awakening crit animation cut-in. Sure, it's more streamlined with the rest of the Final Smash's now with the eye-focused Persona-like cut-in, but the Awakening cut-in made the FS much more unique imo.

Also, Richter. It's hard to find a GIF right now for Richter's Final Smash, but it's just Grand Cross, the same as Simon. Richter's Final Smash should've totally been Hydro Storm.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
:ultrichter: NOT EVERYTHING IS ATTACHED TO THE BALLOT :ultpiranha:
okay continue
For goodness sakes the ballot doesn’t matter that much. Just ask an Issac fan and he will tell you the same thing. Bringing up the ballot argument is not ideal for dlc. Instead we should be bringing up who is popular for the masses. A 20 year old puppet from one game isn’t going to appeal to little kids. Something more recognizable such as a piranah plant will. I think it is safe to say that the smash ballot has served its usefulness but it is time to focus on other factors.
Guys. I KNOW THE BALLOT IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

There are multiple characters that make that pretty clear.

But you can't deny that the ballot has SOME influence on the roster, Sakurai clearly stated that's why K.Rool got in at all. It may be the main reason why Geno actually has a chance.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Guys. I KNOW THE BALLOT IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

There are multiple characters that make that pretty clear.

But you can't deny that the ballot has SOME influence on the roster, Sakurai clearly stated that's why K.Rool got in at all. It may be the main reason why Geno actually has a chance.
The ballot has influence on the base roster, but probably not on DLC
Edit: Just look at Bayonetta. She was planned for and developed for Smash 4 before the DLC ballot even began

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not gonna but the rumor. I learned my lesson from the Grinch not to trust any leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom