• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Why would he be getting **** for voicing support or a leak?

I've liked what papagenos has posted since Sm4sh. Less so the YouTube videos but they're still well spoken. Why does it matter he was wrong?
Well like the guy or not its certainly a blow to his credibility as someone to listen to about this kind of stuff, as this was the first time he claimed to have a source telling him the leak was real.

Now we know that was a load of bull and he probably got tricked

I'm sure people will still enjoy his content but it certainly does matter that he got something wrong if he was trying to establish himself more in the speculative scene

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Do you have a source on this? Because that's potentially really big in terms of information.
I don't know, I saw it on Gamefaqs. Apparently it was an anonymous user who pointed it out.

For what we all know, there are several more differences. This is just one of them.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't think it's such a bad thing to say "I'd be happy if this character doesn't get in". Plenty of people have been saying that they don't want Steve to get in because Banjo is better or that Katalina shouldn't get in because they don't want a character from a mobile game. I mean, as long as you're respectful about it, it should be fine to state your opinion about Sora or Steve or Katalina or whoever, right? Now, if you hate on a fanbase if their character gets in, that's a different story, but just saying you don't like said character and don't personally want that character in the game isn't a bad thing, is it?
It's okay to not like a character and say "I don't like x character, and here's why." I never really liked K. Rool or Ridley, and that's fine.

But to say "I'd be happy if x character didn't get in" crosses the line of disrespect, because, again, that character has fans with valid emotions that should be respected. In a way it's similar to dancing on a grave, or how some people laughed at the Grinch "leak" supporters when it was confirmed fake; to put it plainly: it's not nice.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hmm, after crosschecking the Japanese and the English directs, there seems to be some notable differences.

About the Japanese Direct, I think it was on the 30:10 or so out of the timeline in the video, but on that mark, it's where Sakurai starts talking about DLC. I don't speak Japanese, but apparently, at one point, he says that all five DLC characters were meant to be avaliable at launch too, but it unfortunately didn't make it due to time constrats, however the English Direct doesn't mention this.
That's actually a very interesting find.

I hope Sakurai addresses this in more detail for his next Famitsu column because this really changes the landscape of what DLC is going to be. Maybe for the better I think.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
My dlc predictions are Dixie, Medusa, Elma, Geno and Steve.

Vote Matthew from Golden Sun if the ballot returns.
Dude if the ballot ever returns, vote the character you really want even if it is an assist trophy. I know I voted ridley, even if he was a stage hazard on wiiu, knowing perfectly that the ballot was for smash 4 instead of a new hypotetical super secret game.

D

Deleted member

Crash is absolutely a tier of his own compared to Banjo lmao. He was basically the Playstation's mascot and was HUGE in Japan, an incredible feat considering Japan's preference for games in their country, to the point Japan's adoration for the guy got acknowledged with the Crash Dance getting added to the game. Crash also just had a hugely successful revival, albeit likely too late for Smash to capitalize on that. So when compared to basically the mascot of an incredibly successful system, a franchise where people forget nearly half of the games, which are 2 of them btw, can't really hold a candle to it
Japan also loved the Woah! meme. Take that with what you will.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Why would he be getting **** for voicing support or a leak?

I've liked what papagenos has posted since Sm4sh. Less so the YouTube videos but they're still well spoken. Why does it matter he was wrong?
"You had an insider that said the leak was real and I got all my wanted characters but your wrong and a fraud so UNSUBSCRIBED!!!!1111!!!"

Some people are made of more salt than water.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

Also I'm gonna be on Team Pac-Man if there were to ever be a Sora v. Pac-Man fight.

Remember, all it takes is some Power Pellets to make him a god.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hmm, after crosschecking the Japanese and the English directs, there seems to be some notable differences.

About the Japanese Direct, I think it was on the 30:10 or so out of the timeline in the video, but on that mark, it's where Sakurai starts talking about DLC. I don't speak Japanese, but apparently, at one point, he says that all five DLC characters were meant to be avaliable at launch too, but it unfortunately didn't make it due to time constrats, however the English Direct doesn't mention this.
While he didn't say that exactly in the English direct, he did explain why later characters (Rex, Edelgard, ARMS rep etc.) didn't make it in because they were too late. This pretty much confirms that all 5 of the DLC characters were decided the same time as the base roster.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So it looks like Ultimate may be the SFV of the series, except unlike SFV it won't be barebones and unpolished at launch and still have lots of content to do while waiting for the other stuff to be added in via patches.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77167164

So there's a rumor that the 5 DLC characters were originally going to be launch characters but didn't make it because of time restraints.
Interesting, if this is true and then this is why Rex got turned into being Mii Fighter outfit.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It means that DLC was planned as of December 2015, and that DLC was shaped with the same thoughts as the base roster. It straight up disconfirms a bunch of characters, and narrows down selection a **** ton.
If DLC was planned in 2015, what position does that leave Katalina in since Granblue only came out in 2014?

D

Deleted member

It means that DLC was planned as of December 2015, and that DLC was shaped with the same thoughts as the base roster. It straight up disconfirms a bunch of characters, and narrows down selection a **** ton.
Oh boy. If this is true, we're in for another wild ride.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77167164?page=3

A guy named Pentao on the gamefaqs forum said this:

"Sakurai then goes on to say in Japanese "We haven't made any of the DLC yet, nor are we sure on the release schedule for the DLC. However, we estimate that it'll be about a year before it all gets released."

There's nothing in there that has him say "we planned to put all the DLC in the base game but just didn't have time to."
The Official English direct's translation of the DLC portion of the direct is very accurate.
"

D

Deleted member

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Man, every time I think about Spirits, I get hyped. NPCs that inhabit characters, so they act like how those NPCs would act. They're there without being there. That's so ****ing cool.
I really hope people do a lot of fanart/works based off this concept, as I find the idea of spirits/souls of various characters possessing the copies of Smash fighters both a really neat and potentially humorous concept. A copy of Mario with the mind of a lowly creature like a Smoky Progg? That's comedy gold right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom