• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Man, I'm pretty miffed at Square right now.
My Geno bias aside, there is CLEARLY some disconnect with them compared to the other third parties in Smash right now. I attributed:ultcloud:'s limited representation in 4 to it being a more limited, DLC budget, but now that we know as much as we do about Ultimate, there's really no other justification.

Two songs, neither of them remixes. No assist trophy. Not a single Spirit in sight yet. No English/Steve Burton option. Final Fantasy got GIPPED. I dunno what the deal is, but I don't like it.
Actually, I believe Zach was spotted as a Spirit. No Assists is definitely a bummer though. And Steve Burton isn't coming in because of something legal I believe.

But you can chalk up not having any songs to UEMATSUUUUUUUUUUU

Final Fantasy 7-10 have some of my favorite music tracks from video games, but they're in his possession, not Square's IIRC. Which blows. But there's not much we can do about it, especially with his health waning in the past few years.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
My Geno bias aside, there is CLEARLY some disconnect with them compared to the other third parties in Smash right now. I attributed:ultcloud:'s limited representation in 4 to it being a more limited, DLC budget, but now that we know as much as we do about Ultimate, there's really no other justification.

Two songs, neither of them remixes. No assist trophy. Not a single Spirit in sight yet. No English/Steve Burton option. Final Fantasy got GIPPED. I dunno what the deal is, but I don't like it.
The deal was simple
"Yo, we let you take Cloud again, but no more music since our composer also want money...Wait? You want Geno and Chocobo as a mii costume and Icon for Ultimate? Yeah sure, whatever."
"Hmm? Okay, we give you the licence to SMRPG for your Snes mini"
"OKAY FINE, we will put more FF Games on the switch, even FFVII"
"Oh? You want insert X square enix well sure but only as DLC. Go ahead, with a stage and music."

What is the link between all of those deal?

Think of it.

What do Square-Enix win in all of those Deal?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ :bobomb:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Probably the SE Rep, Minecraft content, and possibly Granblue character
It's now looking unlikely Katalina will be added. The DLC may have been cut characters from the base or at the very least around the time the Base Roster was decided. Cygames and Nintendo have been in talks around 2017 which is around the time I guess when Dragalia Lost started development. It would be too late for her.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If you mean the one from yesterday, we saw how classic is evokes the source material of each fighter in some way, we saw a lot of spirits mechanics and we saw some menus. We did not see World of Light.

Are they supposed to do one today?
It's what Sakurai says here:

After the event, he says that the adventure mode will be shown off, so...

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Bowsette is great. Outside her giant breasts it's mostly pretty tame as well so not sure why it would be something to freak out over unless fads of any kind just twist your knickers

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That seems like double-think to me, as in thinking two contradictory thoughts at once. In this case, it just comes across as you wanting to cover all of your bases in case the character does get in.

At the end of the day, "I'd be happy if x character doesn't get in" is a mean statement, and at best can be neutral given good context.

Not good. If this is true and we're getting Katalina (or negotiations for DLC are still ongoing) I'd say we're likely going to see a second season of DLC, or at the very least more characters than our current 6.
Fair enough. I mean, I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Sora, but if he does get in, I won't be mad. I'll be happy for you, since it seems you really want him in. But there are other characters I would prefer. However, I do think Sora makes a lot of sense for DLC (more so than Geno, who makes little sense for DLC).

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The ones from Vergeben and Hitagi: a Square Enix rep, Minecraft, and talks of negotiations about Katalina from Granblue Fantasy
True. All of these characters could've been picked around December 2015 without any ballot influence. But if we do get characters like Geno (if he is the Square rep), and Bandana Waddle Dee as part of the 5 characters, then I think it's fair to say the ballot has SOME influence on DLC.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I knew that definition, i just don't understand how i rang xD Figured it was some slang term i didn't know.

I was just joking around. I could care less if your a weeb.
lol but I'm not a weeb. I'm an anime fan, and a fan of anime-games, but that's not what a weeb is.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Chun Li theme plays when Ryu goes through classic mode and fights ZZS

If we were to get a second SF rep I'd want Chun-Li too. Toned af legs need more representation:

But Ken would be guaranteed. Easy Echo.
Because of these model changes it makes me suspicious

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It's what Sakurai says here:

After the event, he says that the adventure mode will be shown off, so...
Then yeah, weird. Cause he only showed us the spirits and classic mode. He showed some of the vault, like the store and the help section.

Technically, I guess, the spirits are a part of adventure mode, but you don’t see any gameplay of it. Just basically a spirit tutorial.

He shows how you get random selections of spirits to fight, you click one, you fight it. Then you get a chance to shoot their spirit away and obtain it.

He showed us how the spirits level up outside of battle and how they evolve from novice level to legend or whatever.

He also shows how spirits can be broken into components and then used to create others you don’t already have.

That was about it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
"While Rex didn't quite make the roster, hopefully this costume makes you feel like you are playing as him!"

Some Smash fans: Rex will be a DLC newcomer, guys!

lol

D

Deleted member

Sakurai also chanhed MK's FS even though his past one was fine. It's a clone of Greninja's though
which in itself is a clone of Zoroark's pokeball summon

Two songs, neither of them remixes. No assist trophy. Not a single Spirit in sight yet. No English/Steve Burton option. Final Fantasy got JIPPED. I dunno what the deal is, but I don't like it.
FF's representation would have been acceptable back in Brawl but now that 3rd Parties aren't treated any differently from 1st Parties, it really sticks out like a sore thumb.
And it's a shame, because Square has by far the most content I'd like to see from any other 3P company. From unrepped franchises, to new fighters, stages, music, Assist Trophies and Spirits. None of that seems to even have a chance of making it in.

D

Deleted member

Chun Li theme plays when Ryu goes through classic mode and fights ZZS

Because of these model changes it makes me suspicious

I love how Zero Samus looks in Ultimate.

She looks stronger and more athletic, as it should be.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
True. All of these characters could've been picked around December 2015 without any ballot influence. But if we do get characters like Geno (if he is the Square rep), and Bandana Waddle Dee as part of the 5 characters, then I think it's fair to say the ballot has SOME influence on DLC.
True, it could possibly have some influence on it, but not all

LetterO

Smash Lord
If the DLC was planned for base theory is true, then chances for Doomguy and Crash just went alot lower, unfortunately.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
We’re sleeping on the most likely Rep.

Nintendo was in talks with Bethesda over Smash. Clearly Doomguy Todd Howard will be in. His FS is downloading a Skyrim demo over your Smash data

But please give me Doomguy for DLC

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not going to go too deeply into Papageno's source because that's for him to decide if he wants to out them, but I know who it is and I have a pretty good sense why he believed them.

This wasn't really a case of intentional duping, but that is honestly worse because it's harder to vet. I've been a part of these leak discussions for years now, you can usually tell when you're being lied to, and when you're not. It just so happens that even when you're not being lied to, it doesn't mean the info is correct.
So basically:

Papa's source believed the Grinch leak, or was this just a case of telephone gone wrong?

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Bruh, this is not your super smash bros' World of Light

THIS IS
lol, we've been living a lie, this isn't a smash game. It's secretly the sequel to Kirby Star Allies, where the smashers are all dream friends and the final boss is Zero 3.
Also, where did you get that pic? Did you make it yourself? I really like it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai also chanhed MK's FS even though his past one was fine. It's a clone of Greninja's though
which in itself is a clone of Zoroark's pokeball summon

FF's representation would have been acceptable back in Brawl but now that 3rd Parties aren't treated any differently from 1st Parties, it really sticks out like a sore thumb.
And it's a shame, because Square has by far the most content I'd like to see from any other 3P company. From unrepped franchises, to new fighters, stages, music, Assist Trophies and Spirits. None of that seems to even have a chance of making it in.
tbf Meta Knight seems to actually use **** he does in Kirby now, animation looks like the glide attack in Super Star when he flies from one side of the screen to the other, although Meta Knight does this in Star Allies

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's now looking unlikely Katalina will be added. The DLC may have been cut characters from the base or at the very least around the time the Base Roster was decided. Cygames and Nintendo have been in talks around 2017 which is around the time I guess when Dragalia Lost started development. It would be too late for her.
They could have been talking about a partnership, but it's not like she couldn't be added as a character without a partnership being made. They could've decided to add her without the partnership being made in 2017. Or she could've been the last pick for DLC and all the other picks were when the base roster were decided. Just an idea. I wouldn't completely rule her out just yet, at least not until Vergeben and Hitagi say more on the matter

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
We saw the World of Light menu icon, and we see Rathalos, Galeem, Werewolf King Bulbin and Lumen Sage on it. Possibly just random spirits thrown around but god that'd be sick to fight them as bosses
Rathalos was there so the probability is high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom