• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also, here is my rankings of all the newcomers, unique and echo:

Uniqe:
#1.:ultridley:
#2.:ultsimon:
#3.:ultincineroar:
#4.:ultkrool:
#5.:ultisabelle:
#6. :ultinkling:

Echo:
#1. :ultdarksamus:
#2. :ultken:
#3. :ultrichter:
#4. :ultdaisy:
#5. :ultchrom:
My rankings From worst to best (my opinions, btw)

Unique
#6:ultkrool:3/10
#5:ultridley: 5/10
#4:ultisabelle: 9/10
#3:ultsimon: 9/10
#2:ultinkling: 9/10
#1:ultincineroar: 10/10

Echo
#5:ultdarksamus: 6/10
#4:ultchrom: 7/10
#3:ultdaisy: 8/10
#2:ultrichter: 9/10
#1:ultken: 10/10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we get the Geno costume back, i personally would be fine.

As someone that likes to create Mii (Miis?), i have to say that the Switch has a superior Mii creator compared to the Wii U.

The options for eye colours are perfect, the new variation of glasses is on point, the movement of the parts has improved, and the bigger colour pallette is flawless.

I have tested some Geno Miis with it, and in my oppinion, we can almost make a perfect Geno.

Almost, because of the lack of ears.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
And on the topic of that, Mipha wasn't seen as a Spirit yet.

Just sayin'. You guys really want a Zelda character, and you're acting like you'll accept anyone at this point. If that's true, then you'll have no issue with fish girl, right?
I like merlings and the zora are my fave species

Cryonis recovery

Fin boomerang neutral b

Water manipulation side b

Healing counter grace down b

Spear attacks and zora karate normals

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So, I'm two days late, but I wanted to wait until this thread was anything other than an absolute mess - which it likely still is but not to the extent that it was. Anyway... my thoughts are...

Holy heck, this is incredible. Yeah, the box theory was true, but I can't really be disappointed even if I didn't expect it - we already have so, so, so much here. I understand some bought into the Grinch leak, but I personally thought it seemed too good to be true from the get-go. Ken and Incineroar both seem like pretty neat fighters - not my type of fighter but definitely not an unwelcome addition by any stretch of the imagination.

And Piranha Plant? I'm not being ironic in the slightest when I say I've found my new favorite Smash fighter, above even Isabelle. He's just... so delightfully wacky in both his playstyle, moves, and simple existence among icons like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, or even Cloud Strife. It's literally great because it's so, so, stupid. I never knew I wanted this character, but with such a genuinely well-made and weird moveset that improvises almost nothing, I do now and he WILL be my main. I'm sure the salty tears have done wonders to nourish him for battle. I will admit waiting till February bites though. But I'll register my physical copy at launch day and I should be set on that front.

And the last thing I wanted to gush over... is the World of Light. It's literally EXACTLY what I wanted. To a T. The narrative beauty and actual bosses of Subspace, the streamlining of Adventure mode, and the fun structure of Event mode. Seriously, I'm in utter love with what we've seen of it, both in gameplay and an enticingly macabre story to boot. Not to mention the absolute banger that is Lifelight.

Simply put, I am completely beyond stoked for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and this final pre-launch Direct cemented that without a doubt. I look forward to the game, the plant lad, and whatever DLC follows.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"I didn't mean anything, BUT you're an immature baby with no self-composure."

Nice fake apology there.
I just want to say I really don't appreciate the way you keep twisting my words around. At this point I'm not even going to bother. I wasn't trying to make an apology, by the way, but I'd be totally willing to make one if you dropped all the ad hominem yourself.

Edit: Now that I've calmed down a little bit more, I'll make you this offer; If you agree to stop trying to escalate this situation, then I'll apologize for being cranky and passive aggressive and then drop the topic myself.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Just sayin'. You guys really want a Zelda character, and you're acting like you'll accept anyone at this point. If that's true, then you'll have no issue with fish girl, right?
I'd love it if Sakurai puts a character like Piranha Plant from Zelda. "Here, I heard you want a unique rep from this series, I live to please."

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And that's exactly what I expect dlc to be: unrepped third party characters
I can see that being a possibility. Like, a really big possibility. Especially if Nintendo found that, say, Cloud was purchased the most in the last round of DLC.

I still think they'll put in 1-2 first party characters, personally, if for no other reason than to gain added sales for advertising upcoming Nintendo games. But I would not be surprised in the least if all five turned out to be third party characters. A Microsoft rep, a Square rep, a Bandai rep, an Ubisoft rep, and some way-out-of-left-field-rep we'd never expect.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
What? Nobody thought Toon Link was deconfirmed when Spirit Tracks Link was -----------> first <---------------- shown?
If only we had someone as living evidence to prove that wasn't the case! Oh wait, I was literally there.
It's not me "not reading what I post", it's you not knowing your history.
I think you're misunderstanding what I said.

I know people believed that when Conductor Link was shown. That's my point. I'm in no way disagreeing with that, it happened. What I'm trying to say is that this whole 'Kaptain K. Rool isn't justifiably different enough from K. Rool' business is being facetious, as proven by how Toon Link was still in the game despite what people thought about Conductor Link. Don't try to lecture me on history I already know, we just have a misunderstanding.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

**** yeah I'd take Mipha.

Already got the amiibo and everything.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
What changes would make in terms of Newcomers?
Rules:

You are free to replace as many characters as you like, but:
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character
No character that debuted after 2016
I'd replace Incineroar with Decidueye.
I'd replace Piranha Plant with Captain Toad.
I'd replace Isabelle with Black Shadow based on old Ganondorf, then completely declone Ganondorf.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can we replace the 3 miis with 3 new unique characters
No.

So, I'm two days late, but I wanted to wait until this thread was anything other than an absolute mess - which it likely still is but not to the extent that it was. Anyway... my thoughts are...

Holy heck, this is incredible. Yeah, the box theory was true, but I can't really be disappointed even if I didn't expect it - we already have so, so, so much here. I understand some bought into the Grinch leak, but I personally thought it seemed too good to be true from the get-go. Ken and Incineroar both seem like pretty neat fighters - not my type of fighter but definitely not an unwelcome addition by any stretch of the imagination.

And Piranha Plant? I'm not being ironic in the slightest when I say I've found my new favorite Smash fighter, above even Isabelle. He's just... so delightfully wacky in both his playstyle, moves, and simple existence among icons like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, or even Cloud Strife. It's literally great because it's so, so, stupid. I never knew I wanted this character, but with such a genuinely well-made and weird moveset that improvises almost nothing, I do now and he WILL be my main. I'm sure the salty tears have done wonders to nourish him for battle. I will admit waiting till February bites though. But I'll register my physical copy at launch day and I should be set on that front.

And the last thing I wanted to gush over... is the World of Light. It's literally EXACTLY what I wanted. To a T. The narrative beauty and actual bosses of Subspace, the streamlining of Adventure mode, and the fun structure of Event mode. Seriously, I'm in utter love with what we've seen of it, both in gameplay and an enticingly macabre story to boot. Not to mention the absolute banger that is Lifelight.

Simply put, I am completely beyond stoked for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and this final pre-launch Direct cemented that without a doubt. I look forward to the game, the plant lad, and whatever DLC follows.
That's the positivity I like to see.

Why have fish girl when you can have fish dude? :p
Someone gets this person a promotion.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Mipha is my most wanted Zelda rep, I'd take her

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Man, Incineroar seems to be the punching bag for roster changes...
Am I the only one who actually likes him?
I removed him because there are a ton of Pokemon I like more. The grass type is my favorite type, and Lycanroc could have a unique terraformer moveset. Them being passed up for the second worst Fire-Type starter is dissapointing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think you're misunderstanding what I said.

I know people believed that when Conductor Link was shown. That's my point. I'm in no way disagreeing with that, it happened. What I'm trying to say is that this whole 'Kaptain K. Rool isn't justifiably different enough from K. Rool' business is being facetious, as proven by how Toon Link was still in the game despite what people thought about Conductor Link. Don't try to lecture me on history I already know, we just have a misunderstanding.
If it was a lecture I'd tell you to watch Scott the Woz, I don't need @TotsBS to tell me he did a better job.

Only time can tell whether we're right or wrong.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also, here is my rankings of all the newcomers, unique and echo:

Uniqe:
#1.:ultridley:
#2.:ultsimon:
#3.:ultincineroar:
#4.:ultkrool:
#5.:ultisabelle:
#6. :ultinkling:

Echo:
#1. :ultdarksamus:
#2. :ultken:
#3. :ultrichter:
#4. :ultdaisy:
#5. :ultchrom:
Alright I'll take a shot at this
For uniques
:ultsimon:>:ultridley:>:ultinkling:>:ultkrool:>:ultisabelle:>:ultincineroar:>:ultpiranha:
Waited for Simon for 10 goddamn years. I feel absolutely nothing for PP.
For echoes
Everyone-I-don't-really-give-a-crap>:ultdarksamus:
Bah, I've been pushing for her to be unique for so long.
being near 1:1 Samus is really lame.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess one way to determine wether or not Spirits "disconfirm" characters for DLC or not is to dig through the game once its out and see if we can find a Piranha Plant Spirit that is equippable, should be fairly simple no? I mean, they wouldn't leave out a spirit of an iconic Mario enemy like that in the base game, right....?

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What YouTube coming to Switch have anything to do with the game awards ? Don't get it.
They probably talk about more in the video than just Youtube, but I prefer to just read what other people say about a video instead of watching it myself.

A lot of these Youtubers have no idea how to be concise with their writing. Or edit for time. Or... properly research.

D

Deleted member

What YouTube coming to Switch have anything to do with the game awards ? Don't get it.
Spawn Wave has been on a 9-0 streak of breaking info and has been hinting at Sora to be revealed for Smash at The Game Awards.

If this is right, another pretty big boost in cred above every other leaker. Especially being 10-0.

tylerfoxorwhatever

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure DLC characters, whether they are completely new to the series or, hypothetically, characters who were "deconfirmed" in-game, won't be integrated into WoL yet, and in a hypothetical future, once all DLC characters are out, they would make something like "World of Light +" where they integrate those characters into the mode.

But I think that sounds more like a dream than something that they would actually do.

D

Deleted member

Why have fish girl when you can have fish dude? :p
But what if fish-girl is insanely hot?
They probably talk about more in the video than just Youtube, but I prefer to just read what other people say about a video instead of watching it myself.

A lot of these Youtubers have no idea how to be concise with their writing. Or edit for time. Or... properly research.
Gotta get them views and likes son.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question I'd like to pose to you and anyone else who's sad to see the stadium events go:

Would you pay for a stadium DLC to get those back, if it were offered?
I'd pay money for unique Break the Targets stages for each fighter and for a good Stage Builder.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm gonna just say it outright: Any and all things missing from UItimate that were in previous games (besides trophies) can be blamed almost entirely on tournament players.
It's the same thing that happened with SFV. Capcom pandered to the e-sports crowd, and Nintendo's doing it too now.

Last edited:

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Incidentally, I was thinking earlier this morning about how Hammer Bros could get a chance, since he had an AT way back in Brawl, and has subspecies to pull out moves from. Plus, at least Birdo is quite popular and can work as a Yoshi semi-echo (plus more SMB2 references are always good).

As for TPs shrinking, it's obvious that banking on Japan can backfire eventually, especially with some companies being dead. While not entirely out of the question, branching out will be necessary. In the meantime, going back in the first party pool can do some good in the long run, seeing as some series are still relatively left out as far as characters go (e.g. :ultyoshi::ultwario:).

Besides, I doubt that other Zelda characters can even get in for the time being. If even Linkle can't show up, I can hardly see regular enemies.

If Sora gets in, they could get help from SE about that.

I think fans keep forgetting that negotiations with Third Parties are probably difficult. Third Parties aren't going to just let it happen. It has to have a "What's in it for me?" mentality, and Nintendo has to pick and choose what's the best negotiation to go for. Castlevania is a DREAM situation. Two characters, an assist, a boss, a stage, and a boat load of music. I think it's obvious that the price was perfect and that the timing was right. Castlevania is making a comeback thanks to the anime and the game's popularity ... mix that with the nostalgia of the game... there was a lot to offer for both companies in making this happen.

But that's just a best case scenario.

As for Nintendo characters: Zelda is a weird situation. I don't want any more Link or Zelda representation. But I wouldn't say no to Impa or Skull Kid personally.

The roster is now open to iconic Nintendo enemies. I would like to Kamek, Hammer Brothers, and Birdo in first .... before we get to the likes of Goomba, Parakoopa, etc .... but Piranha isn't bad. He brings up Petey, which is a great character in itself.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
i really think noctis could be a dlc. think about it. this character was revealed back in 2008 . they added cloud so they can easily add him since now he is being added in other games like tekken disidia and others

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gotta get them views and likes son.
Oh trust me. I am well aware. I've got a fledgling YouTube channel, and if we want to monetize, we're going to have to adopt a lot of the YouTube trends I absolutely loathe.

For now we're just producing content we like at a pace that keeps all the content great, but we can only do so much when we're doing it all for free, y'know?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I can see that being a possibility. Like, a really big possibility. Especially if Nintendo found that, say, Cloud was purchased the most in the last round of DLC.

I still think they'll put in 1-2 first party characters, personally, if for no other reason than to gain added sales for advertising upcoming Nintendo games. But I would not be surprised in the least if all five turned out to be third party characters. A Microsoft rep, a Square rep, a Bandai rep, an Ubisoft rep, and some way-out-of-left-field-rep we'd never expect.
Yeah, we could get one or two first party characters. I'm thinking: Sora/ Final Fantasy rep, Steve, Katalina, then either two 3rd party characters or two Nintendo characters, or one of each. Maybe a FE Three Houses rep as one of the Nintendo dlc characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom