• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Spawn Wave has been on a 9-0 streak of breaking info and has been hinting at Sora to be revealed for Smash at The Game Awards.

If this is right, another pretty big boost in cred above every other leaker. Especially being 10-0.
Oh now I get it. Sora in Smash will provoke an Internet Meltdown lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm still not convinced Spirits deconfirm characters. When the game launches, pretty much every 1st Party will be found to be represented and unless they want to go with a Suspiciously Specific Denial(imagine if only Elma's spirit was missing out of all Xenoblade characters), they aren't gonna let us deduce what characters are DLC based on missing Spirits. If we wanna go this route, then really, only unrepped 3rd Parties will be fair game.
IF they've already decided on their DLC characters, I wouldn't be surprised if the spirits in the game are the "We wanted to give them something" crowd. I personally think they're out. Which leaves us with mostly unrepped 3P characters.

Now if there's enough fan outcry for a DLC season 2 (or 3, or 4), then we might get to see some of those spirits or assists promoted.
Here's a question I'd like to pose to you and anyone else who's sad to see the stadium events go:

Would you pay for a stadium DLC to get those back, if it were offered?
Possibly - I didn't play much in the stadium, but the loss of a proper All-star or a Melee-style Classic stings. I just would like to get something for single-players.

If they offered a straight-up port of SmashRun, I'm also totally down for that.

beans

Smash Lord
Came back hoping the time out would erode my salt. It didnt
Also why we got Pirana Plant when the most iconic mook is a goomba?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, we could get one or two first party characters. I'm thinking: Sora/ Final Fantasy rep, Steve, Katalina, then either two 3rd party characters or two Nintendo characters, or one of each. Maybe a FE Three Houses rep as one of the Nintendo dlc characters
I genuinely hope we get a Three Houses rep.

Partially because I'm extremely excited for the game and its new-old aesthetic, partially because I can't wait to see the FE salt on this forum.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm gonna just say it outright: Any and all things missing from UItimate that were in previous games (besides trophies) can be blamed almost entirely on tournament players.
It's the same thing that happened with SFV. Capcom pandered to the e-sports crowd, and Nintendo's doing it too now.
Yeah because compromises, deadlines, budget and developmet decisions aren't a thing.
Nah tournament players basically held Sakurai at gun point to remove these modes.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
What changes would make in terms of Newcomers?
Rules:

You are free to replace as many characters as you like, but:
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character
No character that debuted after 2016

Here's what i would do...
Replace :ultkrool: with

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

I feel the roster is perfect. I would've originally been tempted to replace Incineroar with Isaac ... but I've seen a lot of Incineroar fans come out of the wood work and that wouldn't be fair to them.

I'd say leave the roster alone, but there are a few ATs I'd have replaced with something else ... to allow the characters possible DLC status.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Spawn Wave has been on a 9-0 streak of breaking info and has been hinting at Sora to be revealed for Smash at The Game Awards.

If this is right, another pretty big boost in cred above every other leaker. Especially being 10-0.
Ah, I was about to ask the same question! A little context would be nice haha :)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
My thoughts on Katalina is that I don't think she's in. Why drop Takamaru and Ayumi for their obscurity outside Japan but make an exception for a 3rd party Japanese only mobile character? Sure Granblue is popular in Japan, but outside of it, it's Mysterious Murasame Castle level of popularity. Hasn't Sakurai been avoiding adding Japanese only characters after Lucas and adding characters with some familiarity on both sides of the pacific?

If this guy who says she's in is "reliable", then I think she was just on an early draft of considered DLC fighters before being dropped like Chrom in 4.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I genuinely hope we get a Three Houses rep.

Partially because I'm extremely excited for the game and its new-old aesthetic, partially because I can't wait to see the FE salt on this forum.
Yes! Rain down with the salt! I just want the three houses rep to be dual gendered, so that it pleases both sides

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Inb4 when Sora gets revealed: OMG WHY WOULD THEY PUT HIM IN??? HES GOING TO RUIN THE GAME AND ALLOW DISNEY CHARACTERS TO GET IN

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
In any case... I'm glad that outright asinine "durr Goomba with hat hurr..." argument is dead since we literally have a playable mook. Here's hoping for DeeLC.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Wii Fitt Trainer and K.Rool have already been spotted as spirits
Yeah, but people have said they're different variations of those characters than the ones that are playable in the game.

I dunno. We'll see I guess. It would be nice if EVERYONE had a Spirit. After all, the Spirits are replacing Trophies, and playable characters used to get Trophies as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One more Smash
One more Fire Emblem character
One more game where Lyn is an assist trophy

I guess 5 Lyn alts doesn't mean jack to Smash.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
How is Piranha Plant gonna clap for the winner during the victory screen??

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He probably means too much time spend on competitive balance, which isn't wrong I guess, but far from being the only reason why there are missing stuff.
Pretty sure those that create trophies/single-player gamemodes and those that balance the game are wildly separate people.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think fans keep forgetting that negotiations with Third Parties are probably difficult. Third Parties aren't going to just let it happen. It has to have a "What's in it for me?" mentality, and Nintendo has to pick and choose what's the best negotiation to go for. Castlevania is a DREAM situation. Two characters, an assist, a boss, a stage, and a boat load of music. I think it's obvious that the price was perfect and that the timing was right. Castlevania is making a comeback thanks to the anime and the game's popularity ... mix that with the nostalgia of the game... there was a lot to offer for both companies in making this happen.

But that's just a best case scenario.

As for Nintendo characters: Zelda is a weird situation. I don't want any more Link or Zelda representation. But I wouldn't say no to Impa or Skull Kid personally.

The roster is now open to iconic Nintendo enemies. I would like to Kamek, Hammer Brothers, and Birdo in first .... before we get to the likes of Goomba, Parakoopa, etc .... but Piranha isn't bad. He brings up Petey, which is a great character in itself.
That's understandable. The one point in particular that's kept in mind is the legal tape both Geno and Sora are caught in, so it's only one of the two, as far as being playable goes.

Myself, I'm not overly concerned/enthusiastic about Zelda, so to me extra characters from that would just be gravy, if anything. Otherwise I'm satisfied (mainly cause Dorf has a sword now).

Yeah, I did like that Petey managed to make a comeback in this way. Kinda disappointed PP didn't turn into him tho. :p

D

Deleted member

and Lycanroc could have a unique terraformer moveset
Yeah, no.
Terraformer is for someone like Groudon. Someone who actually terraforms as part of what it is known for in legend.

People horribly overplay Lycanroc's "geomancy" just because it's a Rock type.
All that we would have had was a dog that could occasionally use rocks. Unless it was Midnight. Then we'd have a feral werewolf that could occasionally use rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

beans

Smash Lord
One more Smash
One more Fire Emblem character
One more game where Lyn is an assist trophy

I guess 5 Lyn alts doesn't mean jack to Smash.
All the alts are the times she will meet the bench of AT hell.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Here are mine:

Unique:
#1. :ultinkling:
#2. :ultisabelle:
#3. :ultkrool:
#4. :ultpiranha:
#5. :ultridley:
#6. :ultincineroar:
#7. :ultsimon:

Echoes:
#1. :ultdarksamus:
#2. :ultrichter:
#3. :ultdaisy:
#4.:ultchrom:
#5.:ultken:
And mine.

Unique:
1.:ultinkling:
2.:ultpiranha:
3.:ultisabelle:
4.:ultridley:
5.:ultsimon:
6.:ultkrool:
7.:ultincineroar:

Echoes:
1.:ultdaisy:
2.:ultken:
3.:ultdarksamus:
4.:ultchrom:
5.:ultrichter:

Oddly, on the whole, I think I'm actually more excited about the clones than the newcomers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pretty sure those that create trophies/single-player gamemodes and those that balance the game are wildly separate people.
Yeah, but you still need to balance your staff due to limited budget. Though it's still a stupid argument, I'm not defending it.

How is Piranha Plant gonna clap for the winner during the victory screen??
He'll just pout like Mewtwo.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I believe the logic was:
Spirits that are of playable characters cannot be equipped.
Ergo, if a spirit is equippable, it cannot be playable.
When Mewtwo came out they just added another trophy of him that specified it was the fighter version. They could just do the same thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom