• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
these roster swaps are terrible

only thing I'd change is Daisy is replaced with a Shadow or Black Shadow echo

mostly because seeing memoryman3 have more meltdowns about no daisy would be great

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It is literally the same person with a hat. That's "different"?
The fact that it will unquestionably be referred to as 'Kaptain K. Rool' instead o just 'King K. Rool' is enough to definitely be different. The moment we legit just see a 'Mario', 'Sonic', etc. plain just-a-character Spirit, then being a Spirit doesn't deconfirm you.

This is the same terrible argument as Conductor Link deconfirming Toon Link in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

You guys are really underselling Spirits by calling them JPEGs. I mean, c'mon, those are all PNGs, the backgrounds are transparent.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
"Back on topic"? There is no one topic here, this thread is for talking about nearly anything and everything, related to Ultimate. :p
It's always a mess.

Anyway, I'd say that Skull Kid could function the same was as he always has. The moon's functions, are very distinct from Skull Kids already...
Lol I meant I was getting back on topic because mod didn’t want us getting political about stuff earlier.

I forgot what he did in smash 4, I’m gonna go check it out again real quick.

Oh wow, it looks like Classic Mode is better this time since you always start off to face Link all the time :surprised:
This is quality anime. Can’t wait for the subbed or dubbed version to come out lol

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Welp, Stadium modes are pretty much deconfirmed

That really sucks, why did they think that was a good idea? :/
Also, Classic Mode's screen really bothers me

Ugh, why aren't Ryu and Ken together?
Why aren't peach and daisy together? Also no stage builder?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
What changes would make in terms of Newcomers?
Rules:

You are free to replace as many characters as you like, but:
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character
No character that debuted after 2016

Here's what i would do...
Replace :ultkrool: with

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:
I would replace Incineroar with Chorus Kids and Richter with Shadow.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
these roster swaps are terrible

only thing I'd change is Daisy is replaced with a Shadow or Black Shadow echo

mostly because seeing memoryman3 have more meltdowns about no daisy would be great
Which speaking of Mm3, he must be pretty upset that she shares a final smash with Peach

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Y'know, I feel like I should be upset, but... I'm kinda not? I haven't put considerable effort into stadium modes since Melee.

Maybe they collected data on how many users actually played those modes in Smash for 3DS/Wii U and found that they weren't worth the added development time?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
On the spirits thing, Sakurai specifically said there are "fighter spirits" which can't be equipped and are only there for cosmetic purposes, he then bought a Daisy fighter spirit, so yeah, anything with a spirit that's actually equippable with it's exact name (no super sonic, naked snake or wii fit poses but the actual characters) is mostly deconfirmed
Can we ****ing bless that person for explaining this. Bless you. Yet people will be stubborn-

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Erdrick would be interesting, and sorry unfortunately I am not very familiar with Dragon Quest. However I love Akira Toriyama's work as I am a huge Dragon Ball fan. Personally I wouldn't be against it if it happened and I speculate if they put a Dragon Quest character. It would be the Dragon Quest 11 hero, which I do not believe he has a name.

Im still hoping for Sora, but I would be ok if its not him. I just do not believe that Geno will make it in over Sora, a Dragon Quest character or Lara Croft. When they all are still relative, and represent the company more. On a side note if Sora does make it, I do not know how they will work around his keyblade charm. As it is a mickey mouse symbol, and im sure Nintendo will want to avoid Disney references.
It's alright. Start at DQ11 if you want. As Square puts it, it's afresh start for the modern and veteran gamers alike (or something like that). They're aiming to globalize the franch further and widen its audience. Its backed hard (including Akira). So it is a place to start if you ever considered.
And who doesn't love Dragon Ball :).. and yeah, many DQ heroes are just called Hero (Yuusha in japanese). So any Smash pick can be named Hero (ain't that unique?).

Ok, so let's try answering this, will Sakurai really disappoint his Geno fans over Sora (or a better deal)? I don't know, he trolls a lot but I just don't see him doing that, it's not a smart thing to do. Well, unless he's forced. But he's a top caller now, so if ever, that's going to be really hard to do (I mean forcing him to). That's how i look at it.

Yeah and that's another thing going against Sora. And again, I really don't see any gains from Sora (or Lara). Hero, probably.

Btw, you heard of Katalina?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also, Classic Mode's screen really bothers me

Ugh, why aren't Ryu and Ken together?
Probably because, since Target Test in the previous game wasn't liked that much, it was interpreted by the devs as "oh, they don't like Stadium anymore".

Either that, or the short gap between games meant they had to cut out some things to compromise.

D

Deleted member

I'm still not convinced Spirits deconfirm characters. When the game launches, pretty much every 1st Party will be found to be represented and unless they want to go with a Suspiciously Specific Denial(imagine if only Elma's spirit was missing out of all Xenoblade characters), they aren't gonna let us deduce what characters are DLC based on missing Spirits. If we wanna go this route, then really, only unrepped 3rd Parties will be fair game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
Rules:

If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
Alright, time to get crucified.

Simon with Demi-fiend.
Incineroar with Lyn
Isabelle with Dark Samus (further differentiated).
Daisy with Octoling.
Richter with Black Shadow (who would echo the old punchy-dorf, without the sword for smashes)
Dark Samus with Alph(with Brittney and Charlie as alts)

Last edited:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, I feel like I should be upset, but... I'm kinda not? I haven't put considerable effort into stadium modes since Melee.

Maybe they collected data on how many users actually played those modes in Smash for 3DS/Wii U and found that they weren't worth the added development time?
I kind of feel like HRC is the only real loss there. I thought I would be more upset about them being gone but Spirits mode and World of Light feel like more than enough to make up for them being gone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still not convinced Spirits deconfirm characters. When the game launches, pretty much every 1st Party will be found to be represented and unless they want to go with a Suspiciously Specific Denial(imagine if only Elma's spirit was missing out of all Xenoblade characters), they aren't gonna let us deduce what characters are DLC based on missing Spirits. If we wanna go this route, then really, only unrepped 3rd Parties will be fair game.
Seems fair. While his chances are infinitesimal, I didn't see Master Higgins anywhere.

I kind of feel like HRC is the only real loss there. I thought I would be more upset about them being gone but Spirits mode and World of Light feel like more than enough to make up for them being gone.
Ironic that as soon as :ultganondorf: got his groove back, his baseball career had to end. Also, :ultpiranha: still won't get to play any sports yet.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
One last opinion: I am slightly worried this opens up the gates to other side villains getting in. The Hammer Brothers, Birdo, Deku Shrubs, etc .... I feel like the chances for other third party additions go down. That may be why they did it .... the number of third parties getting in is fading fast .... and Nintendo needs to have a new avenue of characters to pull in to continue on ....
Speak for yourself - as a guy who only plays Mario Party because I can be Hammer Bro...I know who I'd have picked for the "Generic Mario Enemy" slot.

Speaking of...
Let's play a game...
Rules:

Well, for one thing, :ultpiranha: for Hammer bro :p

Otherwise, I need
, so sorry :ultsimon: (you can be DLC)
And I guess that means :ultrichter: has to go too (You can end up as an alt costume for Simon DLC)... so replace with
as a Zelda echo.
Also, sorry :ultken:, but the 'echo with more differences than usual' slot is going to
as a Sonic echo. I'll make it work.

So, newcomers are :ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
echoes and :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultisabelle:
. And Hammer Bro.

D

Deleted member

That, and I have a feeling the dev time that would have been used on those probably went into World of Light instead. I have a feeling that mode is gonna be huge.

After realizing that, I calmed down considerably about old modes being gone. Heck, they may still be there, perhaps they were reworked into WoL.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Did you hear my rule of replacing :ultincineroar: with first or second party characters only?
If you want
in the game, you're gonna have to replace him with :ultsimon:
Otherwise, it would be too easy...
WAIT. I got it now.

Remove :ultincineroar:, replace with :ultdaisy: as a first-party brand new newcomer. Downgrade :ultisabelle: to echo status. Then use the vaguely-a-semi-clone character on
(of :ultsnake:) and replace :ultrichter: with
as Leon's echo.

Bam. Done. And now I get Daisy as a brand new character in her sports outfit.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Honestly the lack of staple modes makes it feel like some content updates might happen...but I won't hold my breath.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The fact that it will unquestionably be referred to as 'Kaptain K. Rool' instead o just 'King K. Rool' is enough to definitely be different. The moment we legit just see a 'Mario', 'Sonic', etc. plain just-a-character Spirit, then being a Spirit doesn't deconfirm you.
Yeah, because he's referred to as Kaptain K. Rool in that game. And Super Sonic is Super Sonic, not Sonic.
These are empty names, aliases for current fighters and other forms that they use consistently in their series. It means literally nothing.

This is the same terrible argument as Conductor Link deconfirming Toon Link in Smash 4.
No it isn't, this is the exact opposite.
Conductor Link was used to prove Toon Link wasn't in the game because well, he was there.
Geno is a spirit, and therefore by your logic, Geno isn't going to be playable in the game because well, he's there.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
On the spirits thing, Sakurai specifically said there are "fighter spirits" which can't be equipped and are only there for cosmetic purposes, he then bought a Daisy fighter spirit, so yeah, anything with a spirit that's actually equippable with it's exact name (no super sonic, naked snake or wii fit poses but the actual characters) is mostly deconfirmed
I think he meant spirits with Ultimate renders. I think I saw an 8-bit Mario there, I have to double check though.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
As a guy who love playing Jigglypuff in Smash 4 and was sad that she's been horrible since Brawl.
DrCYD1iW4AEFwjt.jpeg

This made me ASCENDED.

Jigglypuff is finally buffed after all those years. We did it guys! :')

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man, Incineroar seems to be the punching bag for roster changes...
Am I the only one who actually likes him?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Alright, so my biggest gripes with this game are-

-No Trophies. I loved Trophies, but at least we have Spirits. If there's actually a catalog in-game of all Spirits you've collected, including ones you've sold, they can be sorted by series, Final Smashes get some kind of art, and there's at least a notification for collecting all of them, then this gripe is gone and I have a new, much more numerous collectible to find.

-Stadium is kill. I'll miss Home-Run Contest, Break the Targets (even the simpler one from Brawl), and a few more modes here and there. But honestly, I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for an Adventure Mode, and that's exactly what we got.

Actually Smashing, the main component of the game, looks better than ever, and we have an Adventure Mode back that looks massive. I'm beyond happy with what we've got.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's unfortunate - it's like making it so characters can't be added as DLC if they have a trophy or a sticker in the base game.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the lack of staple modes makes it feel like some content updates might happen...but I won't hold my breath.
I think it just seems like mode content is light. If you think about it, it's actually more than Wii U's it's just that the dev time for those modes were allocated to different things:

-The core Smash mode has a ton of options and new modes now
-Spirits is a rework for events, and is a hub for different modes, not just Spirit Battles
-WoL is straight up Adventure Mode
-Classic seems to be tailored for each character, meaning special conditions and battles for each of the 74 fighters.
-Multi-Man stuff is still there

The only thing that seems to have been unfortunately gutted was All-Star, which is a shame. However, it was probably out of necessity: I don't know how well the old All-Star mode format would have worked with 74 fighters, with the end number being 80 by the time DLC is all said and done...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Let's play a game...
Rules:

Replace :ultchrom: with Impa.
Replace :ultincineroar: with Mimikyu (A Pokemon for a Pokemon seems fair :p)
Finally, and it's not really that big of a deal, but I would perfer replacing :ultsimon: with Jill Valentine and then :ultrichter: with like Leon I guess...I'd perfer Claire Redfield, but Leon has been more of a Nintendo character so...

This would make the roster go from a 4/5 to a 5/5 so quick. But I still love it regardless!
You guys are really underselling Spirits by calling them JPEGs. I mean, c'mon, those are all PNGs, the backgrounds are transparent.
My boyfriend made the same joke and I was like...shut up XD

And yea, anyone trying to use spirits to discredit dlc...literally we had a Mewtwo and Lucas trophy. Don't try to find reasons to shut down dlc speculation (not yet at least...).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Can we stop with the spirits deconfirming characters thing? Explain to me how Mewtwo being a trophy didn't deconfirm him but spirits deconfirm characters.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Let's play a game...
Rules:

Replace :ultincineroar: with Decidueye/Lycanroc
Replace :ultrichter: with Shadow
Replace :ultdarksamus: with Blaziken (:ultfalcon: echo)

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Man, Incineroar seems to be the punching bag for roster changes...
Am I the only one who actually likes him?
I think he's the punching bag because a lot of us here aren't really attached to the newer pokemon. If this were Charizard, he has nostalgia on his side. Incineroar is virtually an unknown to people who didn't play Sun/Moon (or didn't pick his evolution chain as their starter) because the original 151 are the Pokemon that are constantly marketed.

It's not so much that people hate Incineroar. It's that he's the easiest one to replace with someone else because there's no emotional attachment there for many users. I have nothing against Pokemon. I just don't care for Incineroar. I can't even name his middle evolution.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can we stop with the spirits deconfirming characters thing? Explain to me how Mewtwo being a trophy didn't deconfirm him but spirits deconfirm characters.
I believe the logic was:
Spirits that are of playable characters cannot be equipped.
Ergo, if a spirit is equippable, it cannot be playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom