• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Man, i love Ken in Ultimate.
Looks cooler and better than in Street Fighter V.

I will add him to my collection of Third-party amiibo for sure.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Using 3D Rendered icon on the Roster Maker I am trying to create a Bingo DLC roster that people can use for see if their beloved character are in so if people have 3D Rendered icon of missing character give them to me for update this bingo DLC roster.

View attachment 175348

If a character here is actually an assist trophy or a pokemon tell me thanks in advance.
I approve, solely by the inclusion of NiGHTS.

God I just want another NiGHTS game. Please.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So why is it that the Japanese version of the game doesn't have Advanced spirits, but Hope spirits? It seems so weird of a word to use. Does it just sound cool?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
What changes would make in terms of Newcomers?
Rules:

You are free to replace as many characters as you like, but:
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character
No character that debuted after 2016

Here's what i would do...
Replace :ultkrool: with

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I can totally see Steve and Sora as DLC. Honestly, I'd be hyped for every possible inclusion if Dovahkiin was part of it. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of either so I may need to see what comes with them before I buy. I don't play competitive, so "keeping up with the times" is unnecessary.

But if we got Dragonborn...heck yes I'm all in. If that happened, I'd buy premium that day just to get him in the background of my posts.
You were exactly the reason I brought up earlier the fact that Nintendo and Bethesda spoke together about smash recently. Wish you luck!

D

Deleted member

Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
Rules:

If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
Nothing really.

At best, i would add an echo in the form of Tom Nook.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Man, i love Ken in Ultimate.
Looks cooler and better than in Street Fighter V.

I will add him to my collection of Third-party amiibo for sure.
Same here. I'll have him opposite my Ryu amiibo. It's a nice touch that they're facing opposite ways.

As someone who really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dislikes his SFV design and mained or seconded him in SF3 and SF4, his trailer hit me right in the nostalgia hard. Before I didn't want him in the game. Now I want him on my team.

I can't hit those SF inputs on a damn control stick though. Wish they'd let us use the D-pad for movement.

D

Deleted member

K. Rool's Down Smash just super armored through Ken's Shoryuken and killed him.

Lol
Remember when people said K. Rool was gonna suck.

I'm not saying he'll be the best of the best, but he doesn't sound bad at all from what I'm hearing.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Let's play a game...
Rules:

If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone

Chief, that change is awful.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I hope the DLC trailers will be animated. Considering that the characters were already decided earlier, this may be a possibility.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Really wondering if we'll get any 3rd Party Spirits from non-playable franchises. Bomberman, Shovel Knight and Monster Hunter are all likely, and we know Shantae is there. Hoping they get more than just one character from their series too.
meanwhile FF will only have Cloud and Emo Cloud
Okay does anyone know why is Square so strict?

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
training stage leaning combos with Ken til I drop
Let's play a game...
Rules:

repleace Inceneroar with Decidueye and Isabelle with Waluigi who would be a combination of luigi and wario along with some of his own moves.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Let's play a game...
Rules:

That’s bad but uhh

I’d replace Incineroar with Deathborn and Chrom with Ninten for Ness.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
First: Thank you for your response. Though you don't agree with me, you presented a response that was respectful and well-worded! :) I appreciate that, and that has allowed me to rethink my opinion. :) Thank you for that.

Sakurai has created a wonderful team and designed an AMAZING game that one plant is not going to topple. The love for this game will most assuredly incorporate Piranha Plant into the family and there will be a LOT of love for it.

.... I should clarify my thoughts.

I don't think that they meant it to be insulting.

But, that is what it will feel like for some .... and that might be because of the perceived concept of what it means to become a playable character. A character needs to have its own game (Mario), or an important role in the game (Daisy) .... it needs to be classic (Simon), or popular for the day (Inkling) .... it needs to have some iconic nostalgia (Duck Hunt), or proven fan favorite in ballot polls (Bayonetta).

The Piranha Plant hadn't met any of those, and that's why it wasn't even in speculation. So fans of Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, etc who were convinced that their character met the above requirements (and there are good arguments for them) are probably questioning why Piranha Plant got in. If the first DLC was something like Waluigi, or Bandana Dee .... I think they would've felt sad, but it wouldn't have been confusing. Of course those characters got in: They had just as much right to be.

I think you are right. If Piranha Plant felt like a good addition to the roster family, then he has a right to be there. But for fans who had been hoping, it was an odd bitter pill to take at the end.

... and I'll bet those fans will be the ones to Main him ;)

One last opinion: I am slightly worried this opens up the gates to other side villains getting in. The Hammer Brothers, Birdo, Deku Shrubs, etc .... I feel like the chances for other third party additions go down. That may be why they did it .... the number of third parties getting in is fading fast .... and Nintendo needs to have a new avenue of characters to pull in to continue on ....

When I think of it that way, Piranha Plant isn't too bad at all. If Nintendo knows their options for Third Parties is almost up, and that they need to reel it back to the Nintendo Family .... then Piranha Plant isn't the worse one to start out on. It's HIGHLY unique.
Incidentally, I was thinking earlier this morning about how Hammer Bros could get a chance, since he had an AT way back in Brawl, and has subspecies to pull out moves from. Plus, at least Birdo is quite popular and can work as a Yoshi semi-echo (plus more SMB2 references are always good).

As for TPs shrinking, it's obvious that banking on Japan can backfire eventually, especially with some companies being dead. While not entirely out of the question, branching out will be necessary. In the meantime, going back in the first party pool can do some good in the long run, seeing as some series are still relatively left out as far as characters go (e.g. :ultyoshi::ultwario:).

Besides, I doubt that other Zelda characters can even get in for the time being. If even Linkle can't show up, I can hardly see regular enemies.

One thing I hope for the DLC characters is that they have their own animated trailers instead of using in game stuff to introduce them. The closest thing we got in Smash 4 was Corrin's reveal, but that was just a recreation of the Fates decision cutscene.
If Sora gets in, they could get help from SE about that.

Untouch

Smash Master
Sounds like a new Luigi's Mansion remix on the Spanish stream, hard to hear over the commentators.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Speaking as someone who voted for Cloud Strife, Ridley, and Daisy, alongside Phoenix Wright and Shantae, being told the first three were the most insane picks, I can say that that mentality is horse hockey.
I admit that my comment may have been a bit extreme, but I still don't think Banjo or Geno will ever be playable at this point. Other characters that people want may have a chance, but not those two, at least I don't think so. I'm mainly saying that people need to realize what characters have a chance and what characters don't

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm a bit confused. What's happening?
Honestly I misread the post and thought that everyone's classic mode started with a Link fight just like N64 but in general that big mural for Classic just makes me remember how much I adore this series. Hope it's available for purchase, it and the Everyone Is Here mural.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
As much as I would totally be fine with Steve, I can't see Microsoft not giving Sakurai Banjo for one thing.

Getting as much good grace as possible.

Let's be honest, the Xbox One era for Microsoft has been a ****ing disaster. The reveal really didn't help and the PR neither. It fueled the fire for Sony to pretty much steamroll them, and they're still having to pay the price for it. It's very prevalent that Phil Spencer is trying to steer the Xbox Division of Microsoft back in the right direction, and you really have to give the guy some credit. With the Xbox Game Pass and them changing how they do things to try and be more consumer-friendly, you have to give Phil some credit. ...Even though their first party line-up has been absolutely terrible in comparison to Nintendo and Sony, but still.

So while I wouldn't mind Steve from Minecraft getting in, I just can't see Banjo not getting over Steve to try and continue get on good graces with Nintendo and gamers, and I think Phil even knows this, considering how poorly they have handled and treated Rare as a company. It's always been known in the gaming community in general that Microsoft ****ed Rare. "The Montreal Screwjob of the Gaming Industry", if you will. If they got Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, that would be one of the last things that Phil would steer away from to try and get Microsoft and the Xbox Divison back into a good light.

Just like Square Enix, Phil and Microsoft have the big say, and I don't think it would be a hassle to work with Sakurai on negotiations.
Or maybe it's just me, I dunno.
I've heard two things in the past months -- that Party Phil would be quite alright with BK in a Smash game, and that Sakurai enjoys Minecraft. Have not seen the firsthand sources for this, I think, but Huge If True.

I don't think Phil and Microsoft are gonna go "BK or bust", but if Sakurai insists on Steve, then that'll be that. And I'm sure that they won't protest going with Steve, given Minecraft's popularity.

Obviously, the key difference is that Steve is the obvious pick, whereas BK is a far more remote possibility in the minds of most. It depends on what Sakurai decides to prioritize. Regardless, it remains that BK's inclusion would be the hypest development in Smash since me returning to participate in these boards.

The dream is real until it dies in the crib.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Oooooh there is so much talk about Elma and seemingly support for her SOOOO I’m just gonna throw in a shameless plug and tell you guys to go join the Elma support thread ;*

Xoxo

Iridium

Smash Hero

Final version of the menu theme, for those who haven't heard it. This is nice.

I need some :ultgreninja: footage soon.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Speaking as someone who voted for Cloud Strife, Ridley, and Daisy, alongside Phoenix Wright and Shantae, being told the first three were the most insane picks, I can say that that mentality is horse hockey.
Yeah, like, I'm holding out for Phoenix and Travis and Elma. I never thought Simon would get in even though I wanted him so badly during Sm4sh and now not only is he in, so is Dracula's Castle, 32 music tracks, Richter Belmont, AND Alucard. Just nuts.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I’m surprised that Sakurai has this guy here, I can’t remember the name of the Wii game was though...

B3799090-8482-4E8B-B049-5755D576642B.jpeg

kylexv

Smash Master
We still haven't seen an Elma or Bandanna Dee spirit, if that means anything.
If there's a Piranha Plant spirit in the game, it doesn't.

But, hoping this means a higher chance for Dee showing up as DLC.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's play a game...
Rules:

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

A fully unique Dixie would be great, so change :ultkrool: with her. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom