• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Using 3D Rendered icon on the Roster Maker I am trying to create a Bingo DLC roster that people can use for see if their beloved character are in so if people have 3D Rendered icon of missing character give them to me for update this bingo DLC roster.

1541265943012.png

If a character here is actually an assist trophy or a pokemon tell me thanks in advance.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
They're about the same, if you ask me.
It's a Banjo VS Steve scenario.
I really don't think its even remotely the same. For one major reason that everyone seems to have completely forgotten. Disney owns the rights to Sora. It is not a contract agreement between Nintendo and Square it's between Nintendo and Disney and maybe Square depending on if Disney owns exclusive rights or only partial. Getting Sora into this game is/was harder than most of you think. If he did it Sakurai pulled off an insane move.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
image.png

Why not? It's not like I have anything to lose. The entire roster and most of the DLC is known now.
Hey, maybe I don't even mean any of this? Did you ever think that? Maybe I'm saying all this as a way to vent because MY faves didn't get in.
That's a pretty dumb way of venting. It's not even venting at that point, it'd be seething.

D

Deleted member

Seems the semi-consensus right now based on rumour, deduction, and osteomancy is candidates from Squeenix (Sora/DQ), Bandai-Namco (Heihachi/Lloyd), Microsoft (Steve/BK), and Katalina from Sacrebleu Fantasy. Which would leave one wildcard.

I've begun latching onto Rayman has a DLC hopeful (+ a Glade of Dreams stage). I'm leaning to the notion that all DLC will be third-party, as some have brought up, and Rayman's got a colorful, cartoony charm which would help distinguish him from the realism of other likely picks.

Would prefer BK over Steve, if it's a toss up between those two Microsoft-wise, but am not opposed to Steve. Nor Katalina, despite having not played GF.

As for my actual, if minor, contribution to the present DLC discourse -- my bet is that, if Square Enix is gonna be first in line for DLC, the final DLC pick will be from Microsoft. Bookending DLC season with titans of modern gaming. With Minecraft being a juggernaut, I can see things kicking off with Sora, and ending with Steve (Banjo would be ~e x q u i s i t e~ for certain segments of the fanbase, myself included, but at this point I'd agree that Steve has the edge).

The frequent trend/argument is that Smash character reveals lose steam over time. So no necessary reason to expect that the final DLC reveal will be a showstopper. Still, this is my prediction, such as it is.

Sora / Heihachi / Rayman (?) / Katalina (?) / Steve

Thank you for attending my TED Cryforhelp.
As much as I would totally be fine with Steve, I can't see Microsoft not giving Sakurai Banjo for one thing.

Getting as much good grace as possible.

Let's be honest, the Xbox One era for Microsoft has been a ****ing disaster. The reveal really didn't help and the PR neither. It fueled the fire for Sony to pretty much steamroll them, and they're still having to pay the price for it. It's very prevalent that Phil Spencer is trying to steer the Xbox Division of Microsoft back in the right direction, and you really have to give the guy some credit. With the Xbox Game Pass and them changing how they do things to try and be more consumer-friendly, you have to give Phil some credit. ...Even though their first party line-up has been absolutely terrible in comparison to Nintendo and Sony, but still.

So while I wouldn't mind Steve from Minecraft getting in, I just can't see Banjo not getting over Steve to try and continue get on good graces with Nintendo and gamers, and I think Phil even knows this, considering how poorly they have handled and treated Rare as a company. It's always been known in the gaming community in general that Microsoft ****ed Rare. "The Montreal Screwjob of the Gaming Industry", if you will. If they got Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, that would be one of the last things that Phil would steer away from to try and get Microsoft and the Xbox Divison back into a good light.

Just like Square Enix, Phil and Microsoft have the big say, and I don't think it would be a hassle to work with Sakurai on negotiations.
Or maybe it's just me, I dunno.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
DLC 1: Sora
DLC 2: Steve/Banjo
DLC 3: Rayman
DLC 4: Lloyd
DLC 5: Elma

I think that’s what I’ve come to the conclusion of..

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Wait, what? Did something happen while I was asleep or are we still pedaling on that Verge & friends rumor stationary bike?
You know, while a lot of what I say is bait, I do wholeheartedly believe Vergeben is correct about everything he says. And hell, if he's wrong about DLC, I will happily, HAPPILY eat my words. But that just doesn't look likely.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As much as I would totally be fine with Steve, I can't see Microsoft not giving Sakurai Banjo for one thing.

Getting as much good grace as possible.

Let's be honest, the Xbox One era for Microsoft has been a ****ing disaster. The reveal really didn't help and the PR neither. It fueled the fire for Sony to pretty much steamroll them, and they're still having to pay the price for it. It's very prevalent that Phil Spencer is trying to steer the Xbox Division of Microsoft back in the right direction, and you really have to give the guy some credit. With the Xbox Game Pass and them changing how they do things to try and be more consumer-friendly, you have to give Phil some credit. ...Even though their first party line-up has been absolutely terrible in comparison to Nintendo and Sony, but still.

So while I wouldn't mind Steve from Minecraft getting in, I just can't see Banjo not getting over Steve to try and continue get on good graces with Nintendo and gamers, and I think Phil even knows this, considering how poorly they have handled and treated Rare as a company. It's always been known in the gaming community in general that Microsoft ****ed Rare. "The Montreal Screwjob of the Gaming Industry", if you will. If they got Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, that would be one of the last things that Phil would steer away from to try and get Microsoft and the Xbox Divison back into a good light.

Just like Square Enix, Phil and Microsoft have the big say, and I don't think it would be a hassle to work with Sakurai on negotiations.
Or maybe it's just me, I dunno.
But Banjo isn't even Rare's most-loved baby.
It's the ****ing Battletoads.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
You know, while a lot of what I say is bait, I do wholeheartedly believe Vergeben is correct about everything he says. And hell, if he's wrong about DLC, I will happily, HAPPILY eat my words. But that just doesn't look likely.
I welcome our Minecraft overlords and will submit to them.

D

Deleted member

But Banjo isn't even Rare's most-loved baby.
It's the ****ing Battletoads.
So what you're trying to tell me is that when Smash Ultimate's DLC comes out, I'll be able to ask my local GameStop if that have Battletoads on my Smash Ultimate console? :denzel:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Reminder that Verge was vague when it came to Minecraft. He didn't specify a character, he said "content". This could just be Minecraft Spirits coming with a Banjo character, stage, and music.

I really don't like this turn of speculation where fan favorites like Geno and Banjo are being shafted for Sora and Steve just because they're "bigger and more relevant".

D

Deleted member

The problem with assuming Verge and SW can never be wrong now is that that is simply not true. There's always the possibility for insiders to get something wrong at some point. It's best to wait for official word from Nintendo before thinking anything is 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

A Banjo skin for Steve could be possible.

There's an actual one already in Minecraft.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Steve has the potential for a great moveset, building would obv be a part of it, which could be very unique, Maybe even crafting, if you spend some time being vunerable to attacks, you can craft yourself better weapons and armor, same with cooking food for healing or brewing potions.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So katalina will bump her ass against daisys ass in the banner... it all makes sense now!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because, and I'm not joking here, they're mad that there aren't enough minorities.
That's absurd. It's a Japanese game. How many minorities are there in Japan? Why should they care about that? And it's not like there's not enough minorities because Nintendo is avoiding them. There's just not many minority characters that make sense for smash. If anything blame the video game industry not Sakurai. This is just silly.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I can totally see Steve and Sora as DLC. Honestly, I'd be hyped for every possible inclusion if Dovahkiin was part of it. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of either so I may need to see what comes with them before I buy. I don't play competitive, so "keeping up with the times" is unnecessary.

But if we got Dragonborn...heck yes I'm all in. If that happened, I'd buy premium that day just to get him in the background of my posts.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
DLC prediction list:

1) Sora for Square Enix second rep

2) Heihachi for Bandai Namco second rep

3) Fire Emblem Three houses character

4) Pokemon 2019 character

5) Steve for Microsoft first rep

Also I could be alone in this thought, but I think their could be a second season pass if the first one does really well.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Now, on to DLC Hype ....

I think ATs are, for the first season of DLC at least, off limits. Sorry Isaac! I was pushing for you!!! But, I'm willing to give them a second season chance. We aren't there yet, but we'll visit it then.

I think stickers aren't as strict as that. Geno I think could have a chance still. The fact that his image popped up showed their was communication with Square.

I think Microsoft is still a possibility, but I'm counting out Minecraft all together. This game tripled down on the fact that it is a Console game what all those stickers. Although Minecraft can port over to console, it doesn't do it well. It's clearly a PC game.

I think games that originated on PC could become characters, but only if their theme and feel is more of a console game. Undertale ... though I don't think it has enough history ... is an example of a PC game that is CLEARLY meant to be on a console. (It was inspired by Earthbound). I can easily see that game being represented.

I think Sora might be possible. Master Chief, Tails, Lloyd, Rayman, Heihachi, Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae ....

I think it's perfectly acceptable to look at more recent characters. We aren't limited to "two years ago" when the base roster was finalized.
Personally, I don't think it's ridiculous to consider that we may genuinely get Undertale content. It's not likely, but it's not absurd.

Heihachi or Lloyd (or maybe even both) seem VERY likely. Heihachi was considered last game and Lloyd is a big Nintendo-adjacent character (Symphonia was a big deal and it started on the Gamecube) and with Bamco only having PAC-MAN it makes sense they'd want at least one of their other two reps in. Plus they both had Mii outfits last game, so the demand is there. Either choice excites me because I like the Tales games I've played, I love Tekken, and the third potential option for Bamco is KOS-MOS and I adore the Xenosaga games. Insane pick would be Agumon (here's to you, Graizen) but I think he's less likely than the top two and even KOS-MOS.

The finalization of the plan unfortunately takes Joker and 2B off the table, but it's not like I thought they'd get in anyway.

The big thing I wonder is if outside of Heihachi, possibly Lloyd, and the Square rep, we will get first-parties. If so, Elma and Bandana Dee feel like frontrunners.

There's just a lot of potential, really, and I'm sure whoever it is will be fun because hey, getting new stuff is fun. I just wanna play the game.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't have said it better myself, though I don't think the plant is insulting. I think it's just Sakurai showing off his creativity and maybe getting a character that he actually wanted. If he in fact wanted the plant, then he deserves it, since it's his game. If he didn't want it, well, I still don't think it's an insult.
First: Thank you for your response. Though you don't agree with me, you presented a response that was respectful and well-worded! :) I appreciate that, and that has allowed me to rethink my opinion. :) Thank you for that.

Sakurai has created a wonderful team and designed an AMAZING game that one plant is not going to topple. The love for this game will most assuredly incorporate Piranha Plant into the family and there will be a LOT of love for it.

.... I should clarify my thoughts.

I don't think that they meant it to be insulting.

But, that is what it will feel like for some .... and that might be because of the perceived concept of what it means to become a playable character. A character needs to have its own game (Mario), or an important role in the game (Daisy) .... it needs to be classic (Simon), or popular for the day (Inkling) .... it needs to have some iconic nostalgia (Duck Hunt), or proven fan favorite in ballot polls (Bayonetta).

The Piranha Plant hadn't met any of those, and that's why it wasn't even in speculation. So fans of Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, etc who were convinced that their character met the above requirements (and there are good arguments for them) are probably questioning why Piranha Plant got in. If the first DLC was something like Waluigi, or Bandana Dee .... I think they would've felt sad, but it wouldn't have been confusing. Of course those characters got in: They had just as much right to be.

I think you are right. If Piranha Plant felt like a good addition to the roster family, then he has a right to be there. But for fans who had been hoping, it was an odd bitter pill to take at the end.

... and I'll bet those fans will be the ones to Main him ;)

One last opinion: I am slightly worried this opens up the gates to other side villains getting in. The Hammer Brothers, Birdo, Deku Shrubs, etc .... I feel like the chances for other third party additions go down. That may be why they did it .... the number of third parties getting in is fading fast .... and Nintendo needs to have a new avenue of characters to pull in to continue on ....

When I think of it that way, Piranha Plant isn't too bad at all. If Nintendo knows their options for Third Parties is almost up, and that they need to reel it back to the Nintendo Family .... then Piranha Plant isn't the worse one to start out on. It's HIGHLY unique.

D

Deleted member

The problem with assuming Verge and SW can never be wrong now is that that is simply not true. There's always the possibility for insiders to get something wrong at some point. It's best to wait for official word from Nintendo before thinking anything is 100%.
Not to mention Vergeben has been wrong on many fighting games outside of Smash Bros such as Soul Calibur VI and Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (kinda).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So what you're trying to tell me is that when Smash Ultimate's DLC comes out, I'll be able to ask my local GameStop if that have Battletoads on my Smash Ultimate console? :denzel:
Yea

Doom Guy is never gonna happen cuz of the big ****ing gun but that doesn't mean i'm not gonna hope for it!
2005: B-B-But Snake has weapons! He can't get in!!!
2014: B-B-But Bayonetta has near-nudity and weapons! She can't get in!!!
2018: B-B-But Doomguy is ultra violent and has weapons! He can't get in!!!

I love history repeating itself, please continue.

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't think it's ridiculous to consider that we may genuinely get Undertale content. It's not likely, but it's not absurd.

Heihachi or Lloyd (or maybe even both) seem VERY likely. Heihachi was considered last game and Lloyd is a big Nintendo-adjacent character (Symphonia was a big deal and it started on the Gamecube) and with Bamco only having PAC-MAN it makes sense they'd want at least one of their other two reps in. Plus they both had Mii outfits last game, so the demand is there. Either choice excites me because I like the Tales games I've played, I love Tekken, and the third potential option for Bamco is KOS-MOS and I adore the Xenosaga games. Insane pick would be Agumon (here's to you, Graizen) but I think he's less likely than the top two and even KOS-MOS.

The finalization of the plan unfortunately takes Joker and 2B off the table, but it's not like I thought they'd get in anyway.

The big thing I wonder is if outside of Heihachi, possibly Lloyd, and the Square rep, we will get first-parties. If so, Elma and Bandana Dee feel like frontrunners.

There's just a lot of potential, really, and I'm sure whoever it is will be fun because hey, getting new stuff is fun. I just wanna play the game.

There are already an insane amount of Pokemon. If one were to add Digimon, that would be an insane number of stickers to choose from. I'd love for it to happen, but it seems unwieldy.

Undertale? I can see them getting sticker/AT status easily. Especially now with TWO games under their belt. That helps them.

D

Deleted member

First: Thank you for your response. Though you don't agree with me, you presented a response that was respectful and well-worded! :) I appreciate that, and that has allowed me to rethink my opinion. :) Thank you for that.

Sakurai has created a wonderful team and designed an AMAZING game that one plant is not going to topple. The love for this game will most assuredly incorporate Piranha Plant into the family and there will be a LOT of love for it.

.... I should clarify my thoughts.

I don't think that they meant it to be insulting.

But, that is what it will feel like for some .... and that might be because of the perceived concept of what it means to become a playable character. A character needs to have its own game (Mario), or an important role in the game (Daisy) .... it needs to be classic (Simon), or popular for the day (Inkling) .... it needs to have some iconic nostalgia (Duck Hunt), or proven fan favorite in ballot polls (Bayonetta).

The Piranha Plant hadn't met any of those, and that's why it wasn't even in speculation. So fans of Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, etc who were convinced that their character met the above requirements (and there are good arguments for them) are probably questioning why Piranha Plant got in. If the first DLC was something like Waluigi, or Bandana Dee .... I think they would've felt sad, but it wouldn't have been confusing. Of course those characters got in: They had just as much right to be.

I think you are right. If Piranha Plant felt like a good addition to the roster family, then he has a right to be there. But for fans who had been hoping, it was an odd bitter pill to take at the end.

... and I'll bet those fans will be the ones to Main him ;)

One last opinion: I am slightly worried this opens up the gates to other side villains getting in. The Hammer Brothers, Birdo, Deku Shrubs, etc .... I feel like the chances for other third party additions go down. That may be why they did it .... the number of third parties getting in is fading fast .... and Nintendo needs to have a new avenue of characters to pull in to continue on ....

When I think of it that way, Piranha Plant isn't too bad at all. If Nintendo knows their options for Third Parties is almost up, and that they need to reel it back to the Nintendo Family .... then Piranha Plant isn't the worse one to start out on. It's HIGHLY unique.
While i hate the Plant, i can accept his inclusion and the way he is in.

We aren't paying for it, and kind of works as a free bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom