• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
So, World of Light is the meat of the Green Mode, while the Spirit functionality is something that is done in the Adventure itself, as well as in its own submodes that are used to get more spirits. I think I got that right.

Also, what's this about the DLC being known already? If that's true than man, what's left to talk about?

Anyway, I'm gunning for Elma (haha pun), Banjo & Kazooie, and Sora as my lockdown picks. I'm not too sure about anyone else.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Using 3D Rendered icon on the Roster Maker I am trying to create a Bingo DLC roster that people can use for see if their beloved character are in so if people have 3D Rendered icon of missing character give them to me for update this bingo DLC roster.

View attachment 175348

If a character here is actually an assist trophy or a pokemon tell me thanks in advance.
Marking out for Starman and Ashley Robbins. Very cool. Their chances are less than zero but man, I hope they at least get some Spirits!

Layton is a fair choice to add, I'd argue, as well as some kind of Atlus rep whether that be Joker (unlikely), Demifiend (possible), one of Nintendo's SMT protags (more possible), or Jack Frost (???).

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Even though we only got 6 newcomers, they are still amazing choices. I’m actually glad with Spirts we get too see Nintendo & Other Franchises that won’t be able to get Trophy treatments as well using them in a way that can be fun.

What’s very interesting is that Lip (Panel De Pon), was shown more then any other character in the Direct with both Mii costume & Sprit Which has me wondering... Our we getting her in the future?

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
While i hate the Plant, i can accept his inclusion and the way he is in.

We aren't paying for it, and kind of works as a free bonus.
Right. When one frames it that this is a new direction Nintendo HAS to take to continue increasing the roster .... and that they are making the first one of these types of characters FREE. Then it's not bad at ALL.

Sort of realizing this now ....

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That is very true. It's time to face the facts; face the truth. The characters a lot of us wanted, myself included, will not be playable, not now, not ever.
Speaking as someone who voted for Cloud Strife, Ridley, and Daisy, alongside Phoenix Wright and Shantae, being told the first three were the most insane picks, I can say that that mentality is horse hockey.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Not to mention Vergeben has been wrong on many fighting games outside of Smash Bros such as Soul Calibur VI and Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (kinda).

Didnt't he recently say that MVC 4 will be an update to Infinite and not a new game? Thats kind of a hard pill to swallow, I think it would be a new game not an update.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There's not much to be mad at any more. Though initially disappointed, how the heck can you be mad at the roster? It's every character plus several highly requested ones! But, I'm still in the opinion Nintendo screwed up MANAGEMENT of their hype.

Nintendo is not to blame for the Grinch Leak. Nintendo is not to blame for how strong the fan enthusiasm became. But they are directly responsible for the environment they created.

The Grinch Leak saw this environment Nintendo created and took advantage of it. When Nintendo came up to present their Direct .... there was no way they could even meet the hype of the Grinch Leak. Long before the Grinch Leak even appeared the company realized this! Sakarai himself said they probably presented stuff too much/too fast.

And it isn't even the Grinch Leak! Prior to it was Box Theory, and that theory created a sense of "let down". It was too little to hype on after that 8/8 Direct. No one wanted that to be the final note ... so most fans discounted it, despite it being a sound logical theory.

So if anything, I'm just disappointed with the environment they created. Fans have a level of responsibility to manage their own individual hype, yes ... but we are the consumers. We are the customers. More than half of us are young kids who are only now learning how to manage emotions like that. It's not our fault for being hyped up. It's not our responsibility to be "good fans". We're going to do stupid stuff like listen to leakers/insiders and feel sad/happy/disappointment. That's what a consumer/fan is ... they're a mixed bag of emotions and opinions.

...so don't end a Hype Train on a deflated note (in terms of characters, the rest was cool). Don't set up an environment where Leaks can overtake your hype.

And if all of that has to happen ... if the pain of Shadow/Isaac/Geno being deconfirmed has to happen .... .... then don't present a plant as the first DLC. I don't care how cool it is. It has always been that characters got in based on certain levels of criteria and those fans were convinced they had them. ... And you brought in a character that had NONE of those. There is disappointment in not having your character in the game playable .... but then there is disappointment mixed with insult. I love the plant's look and design ... but there will NEVER be a way around the simple fact that it was insulting.
Counterpoint:

Some people's favorite legit newcomer was, in fact, the piranha plant. And if any other character were hidden away behind, essentially, a temporary pre-order bonus that you had to pay for if you didn't want to be an early adopter, wouldn't that enrage the community? If, say, Geno were the last reveal, and he weren't a part of the game proper, but rather, was dangled just out of reach while Nintendo demanded you buy the game before February, wouldn't people get their panties in a bunch? Maybe there's a reason the preorder bonus idea was used on the goofy WTF character who generates enthusiasm not on being a fan favorite, but on being ****ing crazy.

We have to remember that Smash reveals have never ended with the most exciting addition-- ever-- most likely due to the fact that that's not really a good marketing technique. They want as many people to know about the main appeals of their product for as long as they can, so they can push those aspects in advertisements, promotional box art, social media, etc., more than they want to hype up their most hardcore fanbase that already decided before the game was announced that they were going to buy it. This is why they led with BotW Link and the Inklings-- Nintendo's two heaviest hitters in terms of new-looking things-- right out of the gate, then Ridley-- the biggest newcomer request from the hardcore community and an appeal to Metroid fans, who are extremely vocal.

Simon was then their next biggest reveal, because Castlevania is huge, followed by K. Rool, another big request by the most vocal parts of their community. Create buzz around the widely popular third party to pull in the eyes of people who weren't necessarily waiting on Smash news, and keep the attention of the hardcore community with another of their biggest "it'll never happen" requests. Should they have done this in August? Should they have waited? Hard to say. But they have more and more competition for attention spans the closer they get to those fall releases. From a marketing perspective, it's probably best to announce this news before Assassin's Creed. Black Ops, RDR2, etc. get too close to release. Should they have switched the general direct and the Smash 8.8 direct? There's a valid argument to that.

Then there's Isabelle, who was saved for a general Nintendo direct to be coupled with a new AC announcement, which is smart considering what I assume is not very much overlap between AC fans and the hardcore fighting community. They didn't want Smash to overtake their general direct, and it didn't. That leaves Ken and Incineroar as the final reveals, because they didn't really fit elsewhere, and Pokemon is, y'know, the most lucrative media franchise of all time and whatnot. Was Incineroar the best character to hype the hardcore Smash community? Obviously not, look at the reaction. But again, I don't think that was ever their goal. No one in our community was waiting to see the final reveal before they decided whether or not they were interested in buying the game. Anyone who is saying so now is simply venting their frustrations in the immediate present because Incineroar wasn't what they wanted.

Perspective is important. Nintendo is trying to sell this game to everyone. Not just us.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The subtitle for the new Spirits mode makes me feel weird...

Does this mean we’ll get special campaigns?

I hope that’s the case since that would be amazing.

Like imagine a campaign for like certain characters, that would be so cool

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
On one of Maximilian Dood video he stated a good point, if the first batch of DLC are a success and they will we will surely get a second batch of DLC.
Agree I highly think we will get a second season pass. Its very unlikely the first season pass will not do well.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I noticed a common misconception while catching up with this thread, and it's about Granblue being Japan only. Granblue isn't Japan only, it officially supports English. You just gotta make a mobage account, which is in Japanese.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Using 3D Rendered icon on the Roster Maker I am trying to create a Bingo DLC roster that people can use for see if their beloved character are in so if people have 3D Rendered icon of missing character give them to me for update this bingo DLC roster.

View attachment 175348

If a character here is actually an assist trophy or a pokemon tell me thanks in advance.
I'd highly suggest adding Twintelle as a contender to the mix, given get high popularity of course.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
On one of Maximilian Dood video he stated a good point, if the first batch of DLC are a success and they will we will surely get a second batch of DLC.
Perhaps. I still hold that, outside of the fighter pass, the only DLC will be a second ballot character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
First: Thank you for your response. Though you don't agree with me, you presented a response that was respectful and well-worded! :) I appreciate that, and that has allowed me to rethink my opinion. :) Thank you for that.

Sakurai has created a wonderful team and designed an AMAZING game that one plant is not going to topple. The love for this game will most assuredly incorporate Piranha Plant into the family and there will be a LOT of love for it.

.... I should clarify my thoughts.

I don't think that they meant it to be insulting.

But, that is what it will feel like for some .... and that might be because of the perceived concept of what it means to become a playable character. A character needs to have its own game (Mario), or an important role in the game (Daisy) .... it needs to be classic (Simon), or popular for the day (Inkling) .... it needs to have some iconic nostalgia (Duck Hunt), or proven fan favorite in ballot polls (Bayonetta).

The Piranha Plant hadn't met any of those, and that's why it wasn't even in speculation. So fans of Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, etc who were convinced that their character met the above requirements (and there are good arguments for them) are probably questioning why Piranha Plant got in. If the first DLC was something like Waluigi, or Bandana Dee .... I think they would've felt sad, but it wouldn't have been confusing. Of course those characters got in: They had just as much right to be.

I think you are right. If Piranha Plant felt like a good addition to the roster family, then he has a right to be there. But for fans who had been hoping, it was an odd bitter pill to take at the end.

... and I'll bet those fans will be the ones to Main him ;)

One last opinion: I am slightly worried this opens up the gates to other side villains getting in. The Hammer Brothers, Birdo, Deku Shrubs, etc .... I feel like the chances for other third party additions go down. That may be why they did it .... the number of third parties getting in is fading fast .... and Nintendo needs to have a new avenue of characters to pull in to continue on ....

When I think of it that way, Piranha Plant isn't too bad at all. If Nintendo knows their options for Third Parties is almost up, and that they need to reel it back to the Nintendo Family .... then Piranha Plant isn't the worse one to start out on. It's HIGHLY unique.
I really like how you're explaining your thoughts. I was with your previous post until you talked about Plant because I love him as a surprise newcomer, but your elaboration makes a lot of sense. I don't have a ton to add, just that I like your tone a lot and you raise some great concerns about things you weren't on board with without going into mad spirals of rage about why this is the worst thing to ever happen.

Great stuff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Marking out for Starman and Ashley Robbins. Very cool. Their chances are less than zero but man, I hope they at least get some Spirits!
Luckily, if Star ever gets considered at all, :ultincineroar: can be used as a base. Even comes with a flying cross chop.

Even though we only got 6 newcomers, they are still amazing choices. I’m actually glad with Spirts we get too see Nintendo & Other Franchises that won’t be able to get Trophy treatments as well using them in a way that can be fun.

What’s very interesting is that Lip (Panel De Pon), was shown more then any other character in the Direct with both Mii costume & Sprit Which has me wondering... Our we getting her in the future?
Maybe, but even if not, at least a costume is still way better than not showing the character at all like the other times.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
One thing I hope for the DLC characters is that they have their own animated trailers instead of using in game stuff to introduce them. The closest thing we got in Smash 4 was Corrin's reveal, but that was just a recreation of the Fates decision cutscene.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to mention Vergeben has been wrong on many fighting games outside of Smash Bros such as Soul Calibur VI and Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite (kinda).
Verg clearly has some legit sources in Nintendo, regardless of his track record in other games.
That said he only ever said himself that a Square character is for sure a thing. Steve and Katalina were things he heard from other people, not things he himself has heard from his sources. It's possible that at least Katalina could not happen.
Honestly Nintendo would be crazy to leave money sitting on the table like that, regardless of the first fighter pass being well received or not.
Which is exactly why I'm not certain that it will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308

View attachment 175348

I think it would be nice if Chocobo had an icon too <3

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Opinion: I really like spirits mode. Especially how each spirit makes the fighter act like them. I absolutely love that

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The subtitle for the new Spirits mode makes me feel weird...

Does this mean we’ll get special campaigns?

I hope that’s the case since that would be amazing.

Like imagine a campaign for like certain characters, that would be so cool
Doesn't Classic Mode already kind of do that?

D

Deleted member

Really wondering if we'll get any 3rd Party Spirits from non-playable franchises. Bomberman, Shovel Knight and Monster Hunter are all likely, and we know Shantae is there. Hoping they get more than just one character from their series too.
meanwhile FF will only have Cloud and Emo Cloud

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well if Springman isn't in I don't see why Twintelle should be in
That's easy, Springman was easily one of the least popular characters in his own game, and it's not like he's the de facto protagonist.

The likes of Twintelle and Min Min seem to ve far more popular. Also, if a Pirahna Plant can get in, Twintelle ain't really a strech.

No pun intended.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I keep watching the Piranha Plant video and honestly I think he might become a new main or at least a secondary for me. His moveset looks soooo mcuh fun and I'm super drawn to any kind of unexpected character like that. Hopefully he's not total trash though.

Oh speaking of which has anyone done a version of that brawl era image of ROB dressed up as Ridley but it's Piranha Plant as Geno yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom