• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Honestly Nintendo would be crazy to leave money sitting on the table like that, regardless of the first fighter pass being well received or not.
Which is exactly why I'm not certain that it will happen.
Problem here i think is the development team itself. Like sure if it were up to nintendo as a company they'd be releasing characters each month and have people pay for them. But realistically i doubt Sakurai and the team want to be stuck developing smash for who knows how many years, specially considering Ultimate's development began right after Smash 4.
If the Switch ends up living a really long time, i could maybe see another batch happening. But honestly i think Sakurai saying the development of these fighters will go up to February 2020 right from the get go means they probably already decided to end it there.

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
training stage leaning combos with Ken til I drop
Dude, what point of I know they've said it don't you understand? I've yet to actually see it break.
14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 im just joking at this point man sorry 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11 14:11

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, just in case Zinith Zinith isn't aware, the Treehouse had some Crafted World gameplay happen.

Problem here i think is the development team itself. Like sure if it were up to nintendo as a company they'd be releasing characters each month and have people pay for them. But realistically i doubt Sakurai and the team want to be stuck developing smash for who knows how many years, specially considering Ultimate's development began right after Smash 4.
If the Switch ends up living a really long time, i could maybe see another batch happening. But honestly i think Sakurai saying the development of these fighters will go up to February 2020 right from the get go means they probably already decided to end it there.
I think the best case scenario would be for a Super Mario Galaxy 2 situation happening near the end of the Switch's cycle, probably in the late 2020s. That would provide enough time for a break, yet make it easy to retrieve previously-used assets.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, can we remember Sakurai is working on Smash since he finished Kid Icarus Uprising. It's almost been 6 years and he's going to work on this game for at least a year more.

How much more this guy has to work on Smash to satisfy this fandom?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
What changes would make in terms of Newcomers?
Rules:

You are free to replace as many characters as you like, but:
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character
No character that debuted after 2016

Here's what i would do...
Replace :ultkrool: with

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:
I'd replace :ultchrom: with Medusa
Replace :ultisabelle: with Black Knight
Replace :ultdaisy: with Impa

Keep everything else the same

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Am I in the minority when I say that Ken and Incineroar were pretty hype? That trailer was ****ing awesome. And also, the direct itself ended with the World of Light showcase, and that itself is amazing too.

PP was hype in a different way, but he's still pretty hype as well.

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, can we remember Sakurai is working on Smash since he finished Kid Icarus Uprising. It's almost been 6 years and he's going to work on this game for at least a year more.

dude he either should work on kid Icarus switch, or get a payed 3 year vacation after all that he has done.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sup- After watching the Japanese stream where Sakurai explain spirit mode even more.
People jumped on the fact that "OH **** WII FIT TRAINER SPIRIT IT MEANS THAT THE SPIRIT MEANS NOTHING!!"

But hum-

spiritYoga.png

My japanese ain't that great, but I don't think it's spelling トレーナー (:4pacman:) but are still representing the Yoga pose just like in smash 4.

So far, every Spirit we saw related to characters were
>Alt form
>Yoga poses who are the series representation for Wii Fit, not the characters themselves

So the playable characters's spirit will probably be locked to those unequipable Fighter spirit that we can buy on shop (and probably unlock by finishing their classic mode) to get an art collection of said fighter.

It's not that I want to ruin people's mood, but It has been my job since august now to debunk weird theory and go against the general thinking so far, I haven't been wrong once, and hopefully I will be wrong for the first time since it basically kill the chance of 99% of characters.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

There's no way he can satisfy everyone but he certainly does his best to do so which I'm very grateful for.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Am I in the minority when I say that Ken and Incineroar were pretty hype? That trailer was ****ing awesome. And also, the direct itself ended with the World of Light showcase, and that itself is amazing too.

Nah, I thought they were pretty hype too...
Ken is easily the best echo, with Incineroar being my most anticipated newcomer, so I'm glad that they got to share a trailer...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Let's play a game...
Let's just say you were Sakurai, and you were planning the base roster for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
Rules:

If you replace :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultken:, you need to replace them with an echo fighter
If you replace :ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool: or:ultincineroar:, you need to replace them with a first or second party character
If you replace :ultdaisy::ultchrom: or :ultdarksamus:, you need to replace them with another first or second party echo
If you replace :ultisabelle:, you need to replace her with a first or second party semiclone
If you replace :ultsimon: ,you need to replace him with another third party character

EDIT: Wow, I'm getting lot's of hate for this change... too bad, it's my roster :p

So the roster would look like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
I would make only one swap and two changes, because everyone else on the roster, I have no beef with and I'm happy for their communities.

Switch :ultisabelle: and :ultdaisy:. I understand why Daisy's an echo, but I hate it. I would turn Isabelle into a Villager clone (sorry Isabelle fans) and make Daisy the barely-a-semi-clone-at-all character. Give her Peach's proportions, and maybe some aerials and a smash, but otherwise, change everything. I don't want her to float, I don't want her to pick turnips. Make her a brand new kit using Peach as a general starting point.

Then, I'd remove :ultincineroar: (sorry Pokemon fans) and put in
with
as an echo instead of :ultrichter:. Partially because I'm an enormous Resident Evil fanboy, and partially because **** Konami.

So my final newcomer list would be :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultken:

EDIT: I realize I forgot about the "only a first or second party character" bit for Incineroar, but, eh. I don't feel like rethinking it.

Last edited:

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
Sup- After watching the Japanese stream where Sakurai explain spirit mode even more.
People jumped on the fact that "OH **** WII FIT TRAINER SPIRIT IT MEANS THAT THE SPIRIT MEANS NOTHING!!"

But hum-

View attachment 175362

My japanese ain't that great, but I don't think it's spelling トレーナー (:4pacman:) but are still representing the Yoga pose just like in smash 4.

>Alt form
>Yoga poses who are the series representation for Wii Fit, not the characters themselves

So the playable characters's spirit will probably be locked to those unequipable Fighter spirit that we can buy on shop (and probably unlock by finishing their classic mode) to get an art collection of said fighter.

It's not that I want to ruin people's mood, but It has been my job since august now to debunk weird theory and go against the general thinking so far, I haven't been wrong once, and hopefully I will be wrong for the first time since it basically kill the chance of 99% of characters.
k rool has a spirit. what do you have in response to that?

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I just wanted to say that I am stupidly happy that the Hanenbow spirit was one of the six shown in the World of Light opening cinematic. That a character from the small game that is Electroplankton iss worthy of this distinction brings me joy.

It's a minor detail but I wanted to express it.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

But hum-

View attachment 175362

>Alt form

****ing rip mate

D

Deleted member

Let's play a game...
Rules:

Would keep most of the unique ones as they are(would leave K.Rool just so his fanbase could shut up) but I would have had Mimikyu in Incineroar's place. As for Echoes, pretty much the same, but Impa(Sheik Echo) in Daisy's place and Hector as an Ike Echo(larger and stronger hitboxes in the axe head, but weaker up close alongside electric effects instead of fire) in Chrom's place. Would love to add Shadow but I like Ken and Richter more. Dark Samus stays regardless because I'm a sucker for more Metroid(though I'd probably change Side or Down B if possible)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
on an offnote shoutout to the team for getting the new stock icons up on the site way faster than I remember in the past, now I can represent my planty boi

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I would make only one swap and two changes, because everyone else on the roster, I have no beef with and I'm happy for their communities.

Switch :ultisabelle: and :ultdaisy:. I understand why Daisy's an echo, but I hate it. I would turn Isabelle into a Villager clone (sorry Isabelle fans) and make Daisy the barely-a-semi-clone-at-all character. Give her Peach's proportions, and maybe some aerials and a smash, but otherwise, change everything. I don't want her to float, I don't want her to pick turnips. Make her a brand new kit using Peach as a general starting point.

Then, I'd remove :ultincineroar: (sorry Pokemon fans) and put in
with
as an echo instead of :ultrichter:. Partially because I'm an enormous Resident Evil fanboy, and partially because **** Konami.

So my final newcomer list would be :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultken:
Did you hear my rule of replacing :ultincineroar: with first or second party characters only?
If you want
in the game, you're gonna have to replace him with :ultsimon:
Otherwise, it would be too easy...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

He is at least willing to come back whenever he wants to.

I do wonder if he'll actually make a new IP again after work on DLC is done.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think the direct overall was pretty hype, just a bit dull and confusing in some places. World of Light won me over a thousand times.

Man, I love Rapunzel.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
they are the same character with a different hat
The game count them as different character, Super Sonic Spirit is spelled スーパーソニック (Suppa Sonikku) which put him as a different character.

Ridley isn't ridley but META-Ridley
Kaptain isn't K.Rool

For you it's nothing, but it is a distinction big enough to separate them from the Fighter Spirit

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

But hum-

View attachment 175362

>Alt form

I feel like it would make more sense for a dlc character to be a spirit than a base character at least story wise. Because you can't have a Mario clone possessed by Mario's spirit. But DLC characters probably won't be implemented into spirits mode so they don't have that issue. It's probably nothing but just a thought. But also Mewtwo was a trophy in Wii u even when he was already planned for dlc so spirits surely don't disconfirm anyone.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

It would've been hype if they weren't leaked thousands of times before, disconfirmed Grinch, and confirmed box theory

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Let's play a game...
Rules:

How do you type the character's picture like that?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Did you hear my rule of replacing :ultincineroar: with first or second party characters only?
If you want
in the game, you're gonna have to replace him with :ultsimon:
Otherwise, it would be too easy...
I realized that after I posted it. But I don't really wanna rethink the whole thing. I really just wanted to make Daisy a non-echo and boot the cat.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do Spirits really deconfirm chracaters?

Like, they’re all just a bunch of JPEG images with a couple of lines of code. And they’re tons of them that were easily mass produced referencing a crap load of characters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a character that was previously a spirit ends up playable later on.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Eh, even if Spirits deconfirm characters, there's still hope for a certain RH person.

afro bear.png
Main character of Rhythm Heaven Megamix which came out the same year as Ultimate's finalization.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

At first I was a bit iffy on the idea of Ken being an echo because he's not exactly like Dark Pit/Lucina. Thankfully, Sakurai understood.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But DLC characters probably won't be implemented into spirits mode so they don't have that issue.
Counter point.
You choose your characters when you go into Spirit mode to then customize them, and Sonic is able to Wield the Super Sonic's spirit, making the difference with Fighter spirit and Spirit even bigger of a point

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
On the spirits thing, Sakurai specifically said there are "fighter spirits" which can't be equipped and are only there for cosmetic purposes, he then bought a Daisy fighter spirit, so yeah, anything with a spirit that's actually equippable with it's exact name (no super sonic, naked snake or wii fit poses but the actual characters) is mostly deconfirmed

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Something to consider: the head directors of Street Fighter, Tekken and Dead or Alive, to my knowledge, have all been at their posts for longer than Sakurai, until Ono quit his position for SF. I'm going completely off memory though; I could be wrong.

Difference being, of course, that Sakurai seems to actively want to try doing other things. While I wasn't a fan of Kid Icarus on 3DS, I'd want to see him allowed to do something besides Smash Bros on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom