• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Similar note, I wonder if we'll get Haley Joel Osment for Sora if he ends up being the Square character or if we'll be stuck with the Japanese voice.

Eh, I came to terms with that possibility a while ago.
Least I got K. Rool.
It's not a possibility, it's a fact.
Any who says "better luck next time" is a damn optimistic fool and should just accept the inevitability of two things: Their fave is never getting in, and they're going to die scared, tired, and alone.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
For Geno, I can understand, he'd wind up being a barrier to Waluigi and Sora, among others.

B-K though...man, their anniversary has turned out to be garbage, hasn't it? Being left out of this game is nothing compared to the lip service Rare did.
Yeah, B-K had a rough life. Only two good games on the N64 and a garbage game on the 360, and then silence after that. They're never coming back

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
There's not much to be mad at any more. Though initially disappointed, how the heck can you be mad at the roster? It's every character plus several highly requested ones! But, I'm still in the opinion Nintendo screwed up MANAGEMENT of their hype.

Nintendo is not to blame for the Grinch Leak. Nintendo is not to blame for how strong the fan enthusiasm became. But they are directly responsible for the environment they created.

The Grinch Leak saw this environment Nintendo created and took advantage of it. When Nintendo came up to present their Direct .... there was no way they could even meet the hype of the Grinch Leak. Long before the Grinch Leak even appeared the company realized this! Sakarai himself said they probably presented stuff too much/too fast.

And it isn't even the Grinch Leak! Prior to it was Box Theory, and that theory created a sense of "let down". It was too little to hype on after that 8/8 Direct. No one wanted that to be the final note ... so most fans discounted it, despite it being a sound logical theory.

So if anything, I'm just disappointed with the environment they created. Fans have a level of responsibility to manage their own individual hype, yes ... but we are the consumers. We are the customers. More than half of us are young kids who are only now learning how to manage emotions like that. It's not our fault for being hyped up. It's not our responsibility to be "good fans". We're going to do stupid stuff like listen to leakers/insiders and feel sad/happy/disappointment. That's what a consumer/fan is ... they're a mixed bag of emotions and opinions.

...so don't end a Hype Train on a deflated note (in terms of characters, the rest was cool). Don't set up an environment where Leaks can overtake your hype.

And if all of that has to happen ... if the pain of Shadow/Isaac/Geno being deconfirmed has to happen .... .... then don't present a plant as the first DLC. I don't care how cool it is. It has always been that characters got in based on certain levels of criteria and those fans were convinced they had them. ... And you brought in a character that had NONE of those. There is disappointment in not having your character in the game playable .... but then there is disappointment mixed with insult. I love the plant's look and design ... but there will NEVER be a way around the simple fact that it was insulting.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
wait, ok i get geno, but banjo? didn't xbox themselves say that they would be ok with him in? what is standing against them?
He's from a dead series. Nuts and Bolts didn't do B-K any favors; it only hurt the B-K series. He's not relevant anymore and Sakurai probably knows that, which is why he's not in the Ultimate Smash Bros game

D

Deleted member

The Katalina speculation is making me change my mind about getting the fighter pack. Might just go player-by-player, even as someone who likes to get as many choices as possible. Can’t justify spending money on a JRPG character from a game I’ve never heard of. The game must be really popular in Japan, because I can’t imagine many people in the West would buy her individually.
She’s not even a popular pick in Japan.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You know something? Now that I've said all this...if Geno and Banjo do get in, I can't even be hype, because it means I was wrong.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Seems the semi-consensus right now based on rumour, deduction, and osteomancy is candidates from Squeenix (Sora/DQ), Bandai-Namco (Heihachi/Lloyd), Microsoft (Steve/BK), and Katalina from Sacrebleu Fantasy. Which would leave one wildcard.

I've begun latching onto Rayman has a DLC hopeful (+ a Glade of Dreams stage). I'm leaning to the notion that all DLC will be third-party, as some have brought up, and Rayman's got a colorful, cartoony charm which would help distinguish him from the realism of other likely picks.

Would prefer BK over Steve, if it's a toss up between those two Microsoft-wise, but am not opposed to Steve. Nor Katalina, despite having not played GF.

As for my actual, if minor, contribution to the present DLC discourse -- my bet is that, if Square Enix is gonna be first in line for DLC, the final DLC pick will be from Microsoft. Bookending DLC season with titans of modern gaming. With Minecraft being a juggernaut, I can see things kicking off with Sora, and ending with Steve (Banjo would be ~e x q u i s i t e~ for certain segments of the fanbase, myself included, but at this point I'd agree that Steve has the edge).

The frequent trend/argument is that Smash character reveals lose steam over time. So no necessary reason to expect that the final DLC reveal will be a showstopper. Still, this is my prediction, such as it is.

Sora / Heihachi / Rayman (?) / Katalina (?) / Steve

Thank you for attending my TED Cryforhelp.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Katalina speculation is making me change my mind about getting the fighter pack. Might just go player-by-player, even as someone who likes to get as many choices as possible. Can’t justify spending money on a JRPG character from a game I’ve never heard of. The game must be really popular in Japan, because I can’t imagine many people in the West would buy her individually.
I can’t imagine many people in the West would buy her individually.
Might just go player-by-player
1436757540296.jpg

That's why the pass exists. You're making things more expensive just because "ewwww! jprgs!!!!". Man up and take it, dude. It's not worth the extra bucks to complain about who gets in the game. People did that about Piranha Plant days ago.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like there are still some unanswered questions. How do we unlock characters? What's the situation with mii customs? Can we use them online after all? Is world of light something separate under games and more or is it part of spirits?

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
She’s not even a popular pick in Japan.
That’s interesting. I just can’t believe they’d use up one of the five spots on her (though I’m of the mind there will be more DLC in the future. I think they want a really long shelf life for this game and the Switch). Doesn’t really make sense when it comes to the financial side or pleasing the fans.

Klonoa4Smash2018

Smash Rookie
One Fighter we need for dlc. I am gonna say this. We need a famous mascot and that mascot is none other than....
Crash Bandicoot!

Galaxyman

Smash Journeyman
training stage leaning combos with Ken til I drop
Piranha Plant: the moveset is just so inspired and it's great finding a main you never knew you wanted in the first place.
yeah and i dont get why people are upset. i mean, puff, wii fit, and pichu are all jokes and people were ok with them. in 64 i would've expected people to be 3 times as mad cuz puff was just as much of a secondary character as piranha and there were only 11 other actual characters. ELEVEN!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
yo who is your favorite base game newcomer? (that means no dlc)
Incineroar, for a couple of reasons...

Litten was my starter in Sun and Moon as I always wanted a fire cat starter, and he always got overshadowed by Rowlett... Didn't help that Decidueye became the most popular of the final starter forms... So getting Incineroar in one of the biggest Nintendo crossovers is kind of a last laugh for me...

Incineroar easily looks like the most expressive newcomer by far... All of his moves just scream personality...

And this one's a bit of a sad one, but Incineroar in this game (at least in Japanese) is voiced by the late Unshō Ishizuka, a voice actor well known for doing the Japanese voices of both Professor Oak from Pokemon, and Heihachi from Tekken. He passed away in August and did Incineroar's lines before his death. This is his final role, and it being in such a major game such as Smash Bros makes it quite the swan song, and it's gonna be bittersweet hearing his voice, one last time...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How do we unlock characters?
Probably through Spirits or classic means of older titles.

What's the situation with mii customs?
They're probably all already unlocked for you, they ain't repeating a Smash 4 situation.

Can we use them online after all?
Yes.

Is world of light something separate under games and more or is it part of spirits?
Since it uses Spirits, common sense says under Spirits.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
There's not much to be mad at any more. Though initially disappointed, how the heck can you be mad at the roster? It's every character plus several highly requested ones! But, I'm still in the opinion Nintendo screwed up MANAGEMENT of their hype.

Nintendo is not to blame for the Grinch Leak. Nintendo is not to blame for how strong the fan enthusiasm became. But they are directly responsible for the environment they created.

The Grinch Leak saw this environment Nintendo created and took advantage of it. When Nintendo came up to present their Direct .... there was no way they could even meet the hype of the Grinch Leak. Long before the Grinch Leak even appeared the company realized this! Sakarai himself said they probably presented stuff too much/too fast.

And it isn't even the Grinch Leak! Prior to it was Box Theory, and that theory created a sense of "let down". It was too little to hype on after that 8/8 Direct. No one wanted that to be the final note ... so most fans discounted it, despite it being a sound logical theory.

So if anything, I'm just disappointed with the environment they created. Fans have a level of responsibility to manage their own individual hype, yes ... but we are the consumers. We are the customers. More than half of us are young kids who are only now learning how to manage emotions like that. It's not our fault for being hyped up. It's not our responsibility to be "good fans". We're going to do stupid stuff like listen to leakers/insiders and feel sad/happy/disappointment. That's what a consumer/fan is ... they're a mixed bag of emotions and opinions.

...so don't end a Hype Train on a deflated note (in terms of characters, the rest was cool). Don't set up an environment where Leaks can overtake your hype.

And if all of that has to happen ... if the pain of Shadow/Isaac/Geno being deconfirmed has to happen .... .... then don't present a plant as the first DLC. I don't care how cool it is. It has always been that characters got in based on certain levels of criteria and those fans were convinced they had them. ... And you brought in a character that had NONE of those. There is disappointment in not having your character in the game playable .... but then there is disappointment mixed with insult. I love the plant's look and design ... but there will NEVER be a way around the simple fact that it was insulting.
I think one needs to have a very fragile ego to find it insulting.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Couldn't have said it better myself, though I don't think the plant is insulting. I think it's just Sakurai showing off his creativity and maybe getting a character that he actually wanted. If he in fact wanted the plant, then he deserves it, since it's his game. If he didn't want it, well, I still don't think it's an insult.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I think one needs to have a very fragile ego to find it insulting.
You'd have to be blind to not see what Sakurai's intention was behind putting PP in. The trailer literally began with a fakeout making you think it was Geno.
Of course, it's not to say Smash fans don't deserve to be insulted like that, because they absolutely, positively do.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
yeah and i dont get why people are upset. i mean, puff, wii fit, and pichu are all jokes and people were ok with them. in 64 i would've expected people to be 3 times as mad cuz puff was just as much of a secondary character as piranha and there were only 11 other actual characters. ELEVEN!
I think the sore point is that, as far as first DLC characters go, this one's a tough act to follow.

Smash 4's was Mewtwo, a fan-favorite that hadn't been seen since Melee at the time. This follows that up with a known regular enemy.

So, it's understandable why people would feel they're let down.

No, the weather's actually pretty dull around here. :/
Same.

But a Namco rep i am wanting for dlc. Klonoa! Klonoa for dlc for ultimate!
It would take a miracle, seeing how Namco is modest so far, never mind other Namco characters getting in first.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm going to go more into detail on my DLC predictions.

-Geno
Self explanatory. Most wanted character that hasn't gotten in by far. I don't care who's "more bigger and relevant". Sakurai knows the demand for this character, and he wants him too.

-Bandana Dee
Another highly requested character. Pointed out on 4chan that they aren't seen in Dedede's victory pose. Also one of the few survivors of the Assist Trophy/Mii Costume massacre

-Rhythm Heaven Rep: Most likely Tibby or Chorus Kids
Rhythm Heaven is long overdue for representation. It's the biggest 1st party series not repped above songs and spirits so far. It's huge in Japan. Sakurai was going to do something with them in Smash 4, and I doubt he's going to leave them in the dust. Tibby or Chorus Kids are more likely to me because of me assuming that Sakurai would find them more unique and stand out more than Karate Joe or Wandering Samurai.

-Crash
A gaming icon who recently came back to us. N-Sane Trilogy is on the Switch and Activision seems to be on good terms with Nintendo. Activision is no stranger to letting Crash crossover into other franchises and Nintendo is no stranger to doing crossovers with the company.

-Doomguy
Pete Hines from Bethesda has confirmed that they've talked about Smash with Nintendo before. Bethesda so far has been a huge supporter for the Switch and Nintendo, and seems to be on very good terms with them. Doomguy specifically I think would work best. Doom is one of the most influential games to the FPS genre. Even if his weapons would be "too realistic", there's Bayonetta with her realistic guns. But even then, he has many less realistic guns such as the Plasma Gun, the BFG, the Reaper, etc. He also has a chainsaw. Doomguy is no stranger to using his fists, so it's not like his entire moveset has to be gun based.

Untouch

Smash Master
The plant, to me, looks like a character that was added because it was relatively easy to add. Being in a pot means the animations needed are significantly less.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You'd have to be blind to not see what Sakurai's intention was behind putting PP in. The trailer literally began with a fakeout making you think it was Geno.
Of course, it's not to say Smash fans don't deserve to be insulted like that, because they absolutely, positively do.
It made you think there was something from Mario was coming. Not everything in the world is about Geno or any other character, for that matter.

D

Deleted member

Any who says "better luck next time" is a damn optimistic fool and should just accept the inevitability of two things: Their fave is never getting in, and they're going to die scared, tired, and alone.
That’s what they told me when i was looking for more Metroid reps and K.Rool, and when i was looking forward to Crash’s return.

“Never expect Ridley, even Sakurai said he won’t be in”
“Give up with K.Rool, he isn’t even in a main DK game anymore”
“Crash will never comeback, just freaking give up”
*Literally Saselandia jumping on Crash’s fans*
“Ridley will only stay as a meme”
“It will be Ridley or nothing for Metroid”

What happened?
-Metroid came back with two new titles, one for Switch and the other for 3DS.
-We didn’t get just Ridley, but also Meta Ridley and Dark Samus in Smash.
-K.Rool finally returned, and we can expect him in the next DK game at last.
-Crash got a great 20th anniversary, and became Activision’s new money-making machine.
-Crash has a huge amount of merchandising now.
-Spyro will come back too.

So, you want Banjo fans to give up? You feel like they lost forever? Well, let me tell this to those fans:

Never
Give
Up

I didn’t give up with Metroid, Crash and K.Rool. I will invite Banjo fans to keep going.
With enough effort, they sure can do it.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That is very true. It's time to face the facts; face the truth. The characters a lot of us wanted, myself included, will not be playable, not now, not ever.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Oh, by the way, I translated what it says at the bottom, and it clearly points out the Adventure Mode.

We're definitely getting more than what we got.
You translated? Hmmmmm. I'm optimistic, but I must ask, was there anything, like a number per say, to suggest more than one cutscene in there?

Also, does the pic of Link and Zelda only show when hovering over the Adventure Mode square?

And what do the other squares translate out to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom