• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For everyone who’s thinking we could get more cutscenes like SSE: It could be for all movies in general, such as Trailers and Classic endings. All we could get for World of Light movies is just the opening and the ending, for all we know. Either way, LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS, or you might get disappointed with it just like many of you with the direct because you set such high expectations.
>lower your expectations
>goes for the grinch gold anyway
You're a mean one. Optimism isn't a bad thing as long as you understand why if it isn't what you wanted.

D

Deleted member

My DLC predictions:

- Square Enix character (because Vergeben has said so), I think they are going for an RPG character here, like a Dragon Quest antagonist or Octopath Traveler antagonist
- Steve (Minecraft), also because Vergeben has (kinda) said so. (So far, Minecraft hasn't been represented in stages, Assist Trophies or spirits which makes it likely that Steve will be a character with his own stage)
- Elma, because by the sounds of it Sakurai would have included Rex if only he would have been created/finished before the project plan was finished. Elma kinda makes up for this + getting a second character from an extremely well-doing and big franchise as Xenoblade is very likely
- Bandana Waddle Dee because he has immense popularity in Japan and would have been an Assist Trophy otherwise (I speculate)
- Paper Mario because he is also a relatively popular character despite his supporters not being that vocal. I speculate that Paper Mario would've been an Assist Trophy too if he wasn't going to be planned as a DLC character

I think Sakurai still wants to include popular Ballot characters and thus Paper Mario and Bandana Waddle Dee makes sense to me. (I know some of you gonna be like: "but other characters that became ATs were more popular than Bandana Waddle Dee and Paper Mario!" and to that I'm gonna say "yeah, but Sakurai wants to pick (the most) realizable characters first so that's why Bandana Waddle Dee and Paper Mario.")

These are good points to bring up, but i want to comment on some stuff.

Take in mind that the Minecraft representation doesn’t have to include Steve as a fighter. Sakurai could just make a general pack with Microsoft stuff (a Rare fighter, Minecraft stage and some music from Microsoft properties, for example).

I need to check the popularity of Bandana Dee in Japan, since from what i could gather alongside some K.Rool fans, Japan is mostly interested on Sora, Geno, Banjo and Crash for the DLC. I’ll check about the tiny, but worthy Kirby rep in the future days.

The Square Rep can be either from Dragon Quest (you explained why pretty well), or Sora, since the latter has also the popularity in Japan that i mentioned.

I completely agree on Elma and Paper Mario.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Okay back on topic. I have a question. If the moon is an assist trophy and skull kid is an assist trophy what does skull kids assist trophy do?
"Back on topic"? There is no one topic here, this thread is for talking about nearly anything and everything, related to Ultimate. :p
It's always a mess.

Anyway, I'd say that Skull Kid could function the same was as he always has. The moon's functions, are very distinct from Skull Kids already...

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Okay back on topic. I have a question. If the moon is an assist trophy and skull kid is an assist trophy what does skull kids assist trophy do?
He'll probably do the same thing he did in the previous Smash game, otherwise Sakurai probably would've gone over how Skull Kid changed for this game

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My DLC predictions:

- Square Enix character (because Vergeben has said so), I think they are going for an RPG character here, like a Dragon Quest antagonist or Octopath Traveler antagonist
- Steve (Minecraft), also because Vergeben has (kinda) said so. (So far, Minecraft hasn't been represented in stages, Assist Trophies or spirits which makes it likely that Steve will be a character with his own stage)
- Elma, because by the sounds of it Sakurai would have included Rex if only he would have been created/finished before the project plan was finished. Elma kinda makes up for this + getting a second character from an extremely well-doing and big franchise as Xenoblade is very likely
- Bandana Waddle Dee because he has immense popularity in Japan and would have been an Assist Trophy otherwise (I speculate)
- Paper Mario because he is also a relatively popular character despite his supporters not being that vocal. I speculate that Paper Mario would've been an Assist Trophy too if he wasn't going to be planned as a DLC character

I think Sakurai still wants to include popular Ballot characters and thus Paper Mario and Bandana Waddle Dee makes sense to me. (I know some of you gonna be like: "but other characters that became ATs were more popular than Bandana Waddle Dee and Paper Mario!" and to that I'm gonna say "yeah, but Sakurai wants to pick (the most) realizable characters first so that's why Bandana Waddle Dee and Paper Mario.")
Bandana Dee really shot up as DLC in my eyes because for all intents and purposes it makes sense for him to be an assist trophy. With Isabelle gone we don't have a food-throwing AT, and that was what Dee did in Planet Robobot - stand in the background and throw powerups to Kirby. Combine that with him still missing from Dedede's final smash and the fact that the Megaton Punch arena would make a neat Kirby stage you have a pretty compelling argument that he really might make it in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I wouldn't be surprised if all the DLC were 3rd party characters. Wouldn't be surprised at all. Actually, I'm kind of expecting all five of them to b 3rd party.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I think it's time to accept at this point that anyone who doesn't get in as DLC is never going to be playable in Smash.
When Smash 6 comes around, I hope most of you Banjo and Geno fans realize you've wasted your entire lives rooting for characters that are never going to get in.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yup... It only makes things more suspicious on Elma's end
Hmm. Is XCX considered separate from them? Enough to split them category wise?
I'm kinda doubting that.

It begs the question. Assuming that music comes with the character, would Sakurai really hold off XCX music for Elma's inclusion? Especially considering how perceptive fans are getting, it feels almost too easy, a giveaway.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I’m almost positive Elma is one of the DLC characters. Sakurai LOVES Xenoblade and even had a special segment showing off Rex’s Mii costume and explaining the only reason he wasn’t playable is because XC2 came out after development already started.

Elma is definitely in.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Me today: I want to write an immensely in-depth critique expressing my personal likes and numerous disappointments I had with the final Smash Ultimate Direct, from the perspective of a hardcore Smash Bros speculator. But, it is very difficult for me, as I am currently in a writer's block. The large number of disappointments I had from the Smash Direct is weighing down my motivation to write a proper critique. This is something that I feel will be interesting to write about/share, but I fear the backlash that will come from just sharing my honest opinion.
I strongly recommend starting with what you did like about the direct. Not only is positivity a good thing, but it's a lot harder to write about good things than bad things. So if you start off on the good and then work on the criticisms (numerous though they may be), it might make your writers block easier. Just a suggestion of course. :)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think it's time to accept at this point that anyone who doesn't get in as DLC is never going to be playable in Smash.
When Smash 6 comes around, I hope most of you Banjo and Geno fans realize you've wasted your entire lives rooting for characters that are never going to get in.
I wouldn't say they wasted their lives, but I will agree that at this point they'll never be in any Smash game, period.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I have been saying for a while that Sora could be DLC, but I think it is contingent on whether or not Square Enix wants to bring Kingdom Hearts 3 to the Switch.

Though I could be wrong considering Sora has a solid history on Nintendo platforms. It would just be weird if he was DLC next year and KH 3 didn't come to Switch even though it is coming out next year.

But yeah, I'll personally be disappointed if the supposed Square Enix character isn't Sora.
It wouldnt be dependant on that.. near EVERY non numbered sequel was exclusive to a nintendo platform so the history is there (that and the remasters 1.5 and 2.5 could come to switch without kh3 coming at least right away)

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Ink blots and tea leaves only work precisely because they show you what you want to see.
Technically tea leaves work because the water leeches the chemicals out of them, giving the water a specific fragrance and flavor we associate with tea

but yea, obviously I'm very biased to information to support Elma being in and not against, which is normally why I take a back seat in speculation outside of 'what ifs' and guessing. The only other time I really tried to find justifications for a character being in was Dark Samus' missing AT and palette swap, but obviously that wasn't bulletproof since it didn't pan out for Shadow or Skull Kid who were MiA, nor for Isaac who it looked like was hinted at (maybe he was in a way).

I will say it is a bit suspicious how nothing of XCX was shown despite a shocking amount of Xenoblade content in general shown during the Direct, but we also didn't see any Wonderful 101 or many games from that time I'm sure, so it could just be the Wii U curse.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So all of those people saying that there'd "only be one cinematic" just got BTFO'd.

PRE-ORDER ****ING DESERVED.

SMASH ULTIMATE LOOKING TO BE GOTY.
Well, well, well. Perhaps there may be a story hidden within after all. Sakurai, you crafty Ace Attorney mastermind, you.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So when do you think Nintendo is going to announce the Nintendo Direct?

for the dlcs
Probably around when the last one is still to be announced and that might be also to announce a season 2.. I HIGHLY doubt that the season will all be announced at once.

D

Deleted member

Cloud is still weeb for every version of the game. I can confirm this, heck since E3 we know that.
Similar note, I wonder if we'll get Haley Joel Osment for Sora if he ends up being the Square character or if we'll be stuck with the Japanese voice.
Eh, I came to terms with that possibility a while ago.
Least I got K. Rool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say they wasted their lives, but I will agree that at this point they'll never be in any Smash game, period.
For Geno, I can understand, he'd wind up being a barrier to Waluigi and Sora, among others.

B-K though...man, their anniversary has turned out to be garbage, hasn't it? Being left out of this game is nothing compared to the lip service Rare did.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
wait, ok i get geno, but banjo? didn't xbox themselves say that they would be ok with him in? what is standing against them?
Everyone has a misconception about that.

Bill is asked specficially, only, nobody else, about Banjo. And of course he'd say yes, you'd be some kind of lunatic to not want your IPs in Smash.
If you want to know who Bill wants specifically, don't give him a set of lists, don't mention only one character, and ask who he wants personally.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
The Katalina speculation is making me change my mind about getting the fighter pack. Might just go player-by-player, even as someone who likes to get as many choices as possible. Can’t justify spending money on a JRPG character from a game I’ve never heard of. The game must be really popular in Japan, because I can’t imagine many people in the West would buy her individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom