• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah. I forgot about that one as well.

Sakurai bias might work in Sora's favor as well.

Sakurai of all people stands out in that magazine as he's the only one who has nothing to do with Kingdom Hearts, yet here he is personally congratulating them.

He and Normura have been very close since they worked together to get Cloud into Sm4sh, so Normura would obviously approve of Sakurai adding Sora into Smash. From there he doesn't have to go through Square Enix and works with Disney, who simply monitor his work to make sure he's faithful to the material, which of course he will by virtue of being Sakurai and having Normura's blessing.

Lets hope Sora gets revealed soon. The VGAs can't come soon enough.
Yup I will be over the moon if he gets revealed at the VGA as DLC. He is the only character I genuinely want to get added but still let's try not get too crazy with the hype just yet. Anything can and will happen after all so we just gotta wait and see.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll get Shulk to fight Galleem to redeem himself.
"Back then, I couldn't save anyone... I saw it. I saw their fates and yet I couldn't do anything. I was powerless... just like that time. But not anymore! Today, I will change the future!"
Shulk: Mario, there was no other way.
*Shulk dusts*

Sorry couldn't resist. :p

NineS

Smash Lord
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYY! That stupid plant has nothing about him that sets him apart from Wario (You could just play Wario if you want the same experience)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the fact that you have pay 20 bucks for a crappy flower is just as horrendous as the micro transactions in Star War Battlefront II!!!!!!!!!!!
but you don't have to pay 20 bucks for a crappy flower.
he comes with smash ultimate for free, as long as you register the game's code in your my nintendo account before the final hour of january of next year

besides, even if you did have to pay for him, he's not a crappy flower.

he's a good flower.
a good man-eating sentient flower.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYY! That stupid plant has nothing about him that sets him apart from Wario (You could just play Wario if you want the same experience)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the fact that you have pay 20 bucks for a crappy flower is just as horrendous as the micro transactions in Star War Battlefront II!!!!!!!!!!!
-The "flower" is free, and only about 5-6 bucks or so (I assume) after the limited time offer
-How does he have anything in common with Wario?!

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I've been looking at this all wrong. Sakurai isn't a fan of Luxord he's just a fan of dice!

"Kingdom who? I like to gamble, it's a serious addiction, I lost everything to Miyamoto and now he forces me to work on Smash to pay him back, please understand"
lol

Shroob

Sup?
The G&W thing's kinda offensive, but it's from a different time and era.

Just treat it like any of the thousand western movies from the 50's-60's and move along.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I want to say a few things on Piranha Plant.

I like him. I think he's a really cool addition. The first joke character in Smash that is 100% a joke character. Wii Fit Trainer, Pichu and R.O.B. may be just as much in our kinds because they were so out of nowhere, but Piranha Plant is the one to really take it to a new level. I like that, it is a really fun idea and I think it is a cool addition to the cast.

However, I do not think that people who are disappointed that a random Mario Enemy that no one cares about are in the wrong. It is VERY disheartening as an Isaac fan specifically to see how much love and work was put into the moveset of Piranha Plant while Isaac, Ashley, Takamaru, etc. are ALL sidelined to doing a single move, a specific job as assist trophies. I don't think people are in the wrong for being upset about this character. I think it is 100% warranted to look at Isaac, look at Piranha Plant, and see that the latter was preferred over the former despite all the things going for it. If you're salty about the inclusion of PP I think that's totally fine. I think the best thing to do is just love on and accept the character. You'll enjoy the character and the game far more if you don't look at PP as taking a characters slot. Just look at then as a new addition and push for your character in the coming months. You never know, if you make enough noise maybe the AT "Rule" will be broken.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The only thing that kills me about his inclusion is that you know TPCI chose him over a ballot Pokémon.
And that kinda hurts.
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Scizor was one of them given he wasn't in the past two iterations of Smash, but here he is as a more interactive Pokémon.
Or there could be a chance that a ballot Pokémon is going to be DLC, but that is still my sticking point with his inclusion.
Pokemon fans were probably so split on the ballot anyway that there probably wasn't a single high ranking contender anyway. I remember seeing a ton of Sceptile campaigning but I don't think he tended to do well on fan polls even despite that.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Sakurai of all people stands out in that magazine as he's the only one who has nothing to do with Kingdom Hearts, yet here he is personally congratulating them.

He and Normura have been very close since they worked together to get Cloud into Sm4sh, so Normura would obviously approve of Sakurai adding Sora into Smash. From there he doesn't have to go through Square Enix and works with Disney, who simply monitor his work to make sure he's faithful to the material, which of course he will by virtue of being Sakurai and having Normura's blessing.

Well Sakurai's company is literally named Sora

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
The Grinch leak character I was most potentially excited for was Isaac. Seeing him as an assist stung a little, but thinking about it more I realize it's still nice to have him in some capacity, especially after missing the last game completely. And he's in pretty good company, too. Lots of A- Listers in the assist line-up this time.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean both do. It's not like Sakurai would go to square and say "Give me Geno" and they'll be like "No you're getting Erdrick". Square enix could say no, but I can't imagine why they would since It's literally free money and they have nothing to lose because they don't even care about Geno. They can't exactly make Sakurai put in a different square rep for advertising instead since he's the one who decides the roster.
Okay, but Square has nothing to lose and much more to gain by making Sakurai use a more relevant and popular character like Sora, Erdrick, or Lara Croft. Why use Geno, a niche character with a small (according to Square Enix) fanbase, when you can use someone current and able to be used for promotion?

Sakurai has likely gone to SE before and asked for Geno only to be told no, and he's just come to accept that Geno won't be in. So, he goes to Square Enix for another character (Cloud, 2nd SE Rep) and tries to get Geno in as much as possible because he loves him. He still won't be able to make Geno a playable fighter because at the end of the day Square Enix is the one who owns him, and they have the end say.

As as Sakurai and his team are masters of negotiation, if Square Enix doesn't want Geno in Smash, then he's not going to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The G&W thing's kinda offensive, but it's from a different time and era.

Just treat it like any of the thousand western movies from the 50's-60's and move along.
Didn't mean it needed to be included in their 2018 game, just as modern Looney Toons cartoons don't include references to those specific ones..

Moving on is a 2-way thing, it's only from a different time and era if it stays there and doesn't return.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I honestly love the Piranha plant. Is that an unpopular opinion?
He's on par with Ridley for me now, and I've been rooting for Ridley for years now.

nah, not unpopular, at least here.. we have a poll up there and 56% of people love it, and 15% people hate it.. so definetely not an unpopular opinion.

Regarding Sora... yes He actually may have a chance, like a Real chance... but PLEASE, stop looking at dices where there arent ones...i reallly really really hope that if there is a next direct, sakurai puts a poster of shrek on the background wall.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
nah, not unpopular, at least here.. we have a poll up there and 56% of people love it, and 15% people hate it.. so definetely not an unpopular opinion.

Regarding Sora... yes He actually may have a chance, like a Real chance... but PLEASE, stop looking at dices where there arent ones...i reallly really really hope that if there is a next direct, sakurai puts a poster of shrek on the background wall.
WHAT MAKES THIS STUPID FLOWER WORTH ANYTHING RESEMBLING A DLC PURCHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't mean it needed to be included in their 2018 game, just as modern Looney Toons cartoons don't include references to those specific ones..

Moving on is a 2-way thing, it's only from a different time and era if it stays there and doesn't return.
Yeah, but I don't think Japan really 'cares' about Native American stereotypes to begin with.

Didn't both Bravely Default games have a class in full-on NA headdresses? And I know a whole bunch of other games do stuff like that.

Really just a big, cultural difference.

NineS

Smash Lord

I wouldn't say this boosts Sora's chances, unless the DLC really wasn't all decided up until recently.

If it did, then you could probably say Sakurai bias increases 2B's chances (and I hope it does). Either way, if not Geno, Sora is probably the most likely Enix rep next to a DQ one considering when Sakurai said they supposedly decided the DLC characters.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Yeah, but I don't think Japan really 'cares' about Native American stereotypes to begin with.

Didn't both Bravely Default games have a class in full-on NA headdresses? And I know a whole bunch of other games do stuff like that.

Really just a big, cultural difference.
Doesn't that make it much worse then? Then we can't even say it's from a different era at all. They should really know better as a company as big as they are and around more regions than just Japan.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've always wanted a fighter that worked like a jack-in-the-box. The issue was that no existing character fit that description.

Then Piranha Plant happened.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace

The Tiny Toons character Mary Melody was thought at one time to be the teenage equivalent for Coal Black (don't look it up. Don't.) I don't know if that was actually the case, but if it was it was incredibly subtle as opposed to say... Plucky and Daffy. And even that was more than 25 years ago.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Like I don't think they will reference the black face from Kirby super star

Or the black face from doki doki panic

Or original jynx

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I want to say a few things on Piranha Plant.

I like him. I think he's a really cool addition. The first joke character in Smash that is 100% a joke character. Wii Fit Trainer, Pichu and R.O.B. may be just as much in our kinds because they were so out of nowhere, but Piranha Plant is the one to really take it to a new level. I like that, it is a really fun idea and I think it is a cool addition to the cast.

However, I do not think that people who are disappointed that a random Mario Enemy that no one cares about are in the wrong. It is VERY disheartening as an Isaac fan specifically to see how much love and work was put into the moveset of Piranha Plant while Isaac, Ashley, Takamaru, etc. are ALL sidelined to doing a single move, a specific job as assist trophies. I don't think people are in the wrong for being upset about this character. I think it is 100% warranted to look at Isaac, look at Piranha Plant, and see that the latter was preferred over the former despite all the things going for it. If you're salty about the inclusion of PP I think that's totally fine. I think the best thing to do is just love on and accept the character. You'll enjoy the character and the game far more if you don't look at PP as taking a characters slot. Just look at then as a new addition and push for your character in the coming months. You never know, if you make enough noise maybe the AT "Rule" will be broken.
Thank you! I've been completely shocked that people don't understand why people are disappointed about it. And I am going to be taking your advice. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but if I can get over it it might end up being fun to play as. Honestly I think the assist trophy rule might as well already be dead though because Chrom is still Robin's final smash.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
A question/prediction:

When are we ever going to get a Smash Ultimate Demo?

I am bored of November right now.
There's so much footage from the Direct, Treehouse and Japan tournament to look at.

The Direct and Japan Event are particularly interesting as it seems to have footage from the final build with all characters available to play as.

Shroob

Sup?
Doesn't that make it much worse then? Then we can't even say it's from a different era at all. They should really know better as a company as big as they are and around more regions than just Japan.
Eh.
Japan as a whole doesn't really care about being "PC" so *Shrugs*

I'm not saying the G&W thing is cool, but "It's Japan".

R O F L

Smash Ace
Anyone know if the full-game demo is going to be at the next WCTT location???? Or is it just going to be the e3 demo?

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Wario has one move where he chomps, and the Piranha Plant is all about chomping so of course.

The plant doesn't fart, and it obviously has very different moves.
That still doesn't make me want to spend 10 dollars on the plant or purchase a copy of Smash Ultimate!!!!!

Unless they announce a worthy DLC character like Geno/Sora/Crono Or Banjo Kazooie!!! Count me the hell out!!!!!!!

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman

lol actually those dice really are there I went to the actual direct to look for it myself and they are indeed behind Sakurai in the direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom