• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
On the topic of Geno, if he can't make it in this Smash, I think it's time for us to move on until he becomes relevant once again.

Sakurai plainly acknowledged that he knew Geno was popular, and that he himself really wanted to see Geno get in Smash. Despite all that, we're looking at a scenario where Geno may once again be passed over in favor of other additions. If Ultimate rolls by and he still doesn't make an playable appearance, then I think it's safe to say that Sakurai isn't as comfortable with Geno as he's letting on.

Even if Sakurai is responsible for the roster and adding fan favorites, it's abundantly clear that he also tries to accommodate Nintendo's plans. Unfortunately, neither Nintendo or SE have any interest in the character, and I don't think Sakurai will feel comfortable with Geno until Nintendo takes the effort to work with SE and revive SMRPG.

I actually feel pretty comfortable assuming FE won't get a DLC character. Corrin was the lone promotional character in Smash 4, and that didn't sit well with fans. Even if Sakurai wanted another FE rep, I have a feeling he'll turn down the idea and give other franchises a chance.
I feel like the lack of Geno and Banjo in the base game makes total sense right now with the way third-parties work.

Castlevania is the only third-party in the base roster (besides Ken). They got a stage, a boss fight, a character and Echo, an AT, and a buttload of music. That's not a package that fits the "one stage, one character, some music" criteria that was outlined for us. It's something that could only happen if it was worked on and included in the base game. It's a bunch of licensing and extra work with the third-party, but it's Castlevania.

Whereas Geno and Banjo are just one character and wouldn't necessitate a whole lot of additional content. Then those licenses get to be handled outside of the main game, so all parties involved have a clearer picture on what the license/package includes, since it's not mixed in with the main game, so it's not as much work as if that license was being juggled with Metal Gear's, Final Fantasy's, Street Fighter's etc.

So Geno and Banjo missing isn't a deathblow. It just makes sense right now. If they don't make it in as DLC within the next year, though, then that'll say something.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I just feel like Sakurai is gonna leave Geno fans with a REALLY bad taste in their mouths if all they get for waiting a decade is a Mii outfit and a ****ing Profile Pic. It just doesn't sit well with me at all.
Blame Squeenix if he doesn’t get in, not Sakurai. Squeenix quite honestly deserves any and all **** they get as a company.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Geno, if he can't make it in this Smash, I think it's time for us to move on until he becomes relevant once again.

Sakurai plainly acknowledged that he knew Geno was popular, and that he himself really wanted to see Geno get in Smash. Despite all that, we're looking at a scenario where Geno may once again be passed over in favor of other additions. If Ultimate rolls by and he still doesn't make an playable appearance, then I think it's safe to say that Sakurai isn't as comfortable with Geno as he's letting on.

Even if Sakurai is responsible for the roster and adding fan favorites, it's abundantly clear that he also tries to accommodate Nintendo's plans. Unfortunately, neither Nintendo or SE have any interest in the character, and I don't think Sakurai will feel comfortable with Geno until Nintendo takes the effort to work with SE and revive SMRPG.

I actually feel pretty comfortable assuming FE won't get a DLC character. Corrin was the lone promotional character in Smash 4, and that didn't sit well with fans. Even if Sakurai wanted another FE rep, I have a feeling he'll turn down the idea and give other franchises a chance.
I doubt they were saving him for DLC. I mean, maybe, but as soon as DLC comes into play I was expecting SE to drop any act of friendliness and hard-shill their most popular characters.
I'm over it tbh. Geno's chances were shot in the knee and I dont have any intention to feel bitter about that so as far as I'm concerned, he's dead.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pinch me. I'm dreaming, never in my life I thought I could see that sentence. And a month ago anyone saying this would get shame mocked.
I'm happy.

Also ahem.

No Characters is a lock, but if the rumours are true, it will goes down to Sora, DQ Protagonist or someone else. Geno still have a shoot, but I'm feeling absolutely not confident...

If the reveal happens at the VGA, Geno is dead gone for me. If not, he's still in play
Haha, I'm also hopeful for Sora but after the last direct I'm being very, very cautiously optimistic. Still feels nice that he has a chance, though, regardless of outcome.

I just feel like Sakurai is gonna leave Geno fans with a REALLY bad taste in their mouths if all they get for waiting a decade is a Mii outfit and a ****ing Profile Pic. It just doesn't sit well with me at all.
To be perfectly honest, nobody asked for anyone to support a character for that long.

D

Deleted member

So I take my shot at who's could be DLC I could only figure 4 with just 1 being whoever they want here my takes

View attachment 175013
Geno because he is a lot of hell requested Sora because he could makes sens with Kingdom Hearts III Being in the corner, Sylux because of Metroid Prime 4 and Banjo-Kazooie because of Banjo-Threeie being teased and likely to be announced next year. The Last is a big question mark and even from the remaining I wish in my signature roster I don't feel like any of those are likely to be selected.
That's pretty good! I made mine, but I edited yours because I can't use the Roster Maker at school. :urg:
Ultimate Roster (1).png

(Yes Goku is seriously in my predictions)
(I am going to get so much backlash for this)

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Pinch me. I'm dreaming, never in my life I thought I could see that sentence. And a month ago anyone saying this would get shame mocked.
I'm happy.

Also ahem.

No Characters is a lock, but if the rumours are true, it will goes down to Sora, DQ Protagonist or someone else. Geno still have a shoot, but I'm feeling absolutely not confident...

If the reveal happens at the VGA, Geno is dead gone for me. If not, he's still in play
I've always said Disney's probably not going to be a big hassle, and Sora seems like the perfect choice for DLC--Spawn Wave's hints combined with Verge's rumors seem to all point in one direction. Of course, no character's a lock, and shoo-in's probably being a bit too hyperbolic (but it's how I feel).

Now, if there's a downer (for me personally), Verge also rumored Minecraft content. So, more than likely, Banjo's just a pipe dream hope with a week or so of glorious speculation to look back on. I'll cling to that itty bitty bit of hope, but I've completely lowered my expectations on the Microsoft character, if there is one. :upsidedown:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Do it and your life will be perfect
80C46F0A-C16B-412D-B6C1-A680A9E828CE.jpeg

Probably because of SEGA.
would be the sensible and oof reason...but atleast Sega has a good amount of content in Smash and is a veteran 3rd party company with their mascot still being the face of 3rd parties in Smash...even if that means he runs solo

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sorry, but, people need to give up on the idea of assist trophies becoming playable characters. It's not going to happen. "But all they'd have to do is delete one line of code, it wouldn't be that hard" ...yeah, to disable the assist trophy. But then they have to make a new character out of that assist trophy, which would take a long time. Sakurai said that DLC will not include echo fighters, so sorry Shadow fans, he's not happening in this game.

Also, he said that the DLC was decided a while ago, which is why Rex got a Mii fighter costume instead of making him DLC, so even if there's outcry that someone's favorite character got the assist trophy treatment, it doesn't matter. DLC has already been decided and they're not gonna change that now just because of a small amount of fans.

There are going to be five DLC characters, and I bet you they're gonna devote their time to characters that aren't currently represented in the game. No spirits that were shown off will be DLC, and not assist trophies. If you accept that now, it'll be less painful when the five DLC characters are revealed.
Two things I want to point out.

(1) Even though DLC itself was likely decided a long time ago, I don't think Sakurai knew who the DLC characters would be until this year. Doesn't really make sense for him to plan for something so far ahead, especially when he's already proven twice (Roy, Corrin) that he considers unreleased games as well.

(2) Spirits really shouldn't be considered a deconfirmation. We got trophies of Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4, yet both still made it on the roster. Spirits are even less than trophies, essentially being nothing more than existing artwork of a character.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Also, a thought I just had; since we know Sakurai's personal preferences likely don't hold sway over 3rd parties (because Geno), I think it's safe to say that if a Tales character does get in it'll be Yuri instead of Lloyd. What with Vesperia Definitive being a thing and Yuri himself being infinitely more popular (to the point he's been "retired" from official popularity polls because he always won them).

As for DLC, here's my gut ordering of most to least likely:
>Sora
>8th Gen Pokemon
>Steve
>Monster Hunter
>Edelgard

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I remember during the Smash 4 days people couldn't believe the final roster both before and after DLC

History seems to repeat itself

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Blame Squeenix if he doesn’t get in, not Sakurai. Squeenix quite honestly deserves any and all **** they get as a company.
You say that yet Sakurai himself said HE went to Square-Enix for Cloud.
Not Geno.
Cloud.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

I think people can live with no wavedashing/high risk wavelanding but still not being able to run passed people/shields - that seems like it's gonna be quite a controversial change.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think people can live with no wavedashing/high risk wavelanding but still not being able to run passed people/shields - that seems like it's gonna be quite a controversial change.
It will certainly make playing against Sonic more tolerable.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Whilst it is very hard to determine which 5 characters are going to be DLC, here are some of my predictions:

1. Square-Enix character - Although Geno is the most likely candidate which fits the criteria. However, it is possible another character from a different Square-Enix franchise other than Geno could be DLC.

2. Microsoft/Minecraft - Considering that Vergeben had stated that Minecraft will have a form of representation in Smash, to which it could be a stage, music or possibly a character. In addition, I think Banjo-Kazooie could be the main choice as the Microsoft representative (if Steve is not chosen.)

3. Xenoblade - With Rex and Pyra being ruled out, I think the only candidate that would act as the second representative of the Xenoblade franchise would be Elma of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

4. Possible Fire Emblem: Three Houses Rep - If I were to pick someone from the upcoming Fire Emblem: Three Houses Rep, I would opt for Edelgard.

5. Another Third Party Character? - My choices would be between Heihachi Mishima or Lloyd Irving.

Lastly, I thought I might as well post this and I knew someone was going to do this:

It feels almost like watching a scene from the Avengers Infinity War. Either ways, I wonder where the likes of some of the characters such as Ryu, Cloud etc are?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Two things I want to point out.

(1) Even though DLC itself was likely decided a long time ago, I don't think Sakurai knew who the DLC characters would be until this year. Doesn't really make sense for him to plan for something so far ahead, especially when he's already proven twice (Roy, Corrin) that he considers unreleased games as well.

(2) Spirits really shouldn't be considered a deconfirmation. We got trophies of Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4, yet both still made it on the roster. Spirits are even less than trophies, essentially being nothing more than existing artwork of a character.
I think spirits are about the same as trophies, and I think they're this game's version of trophies. But I still don't think that any of the DLC characters will be characters that are currently spirits. I feel that Sakurai is representing those characters by making them spirits and nothing more

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... what are everyone's overall final thoughts on the base roster?
And yes, Base... Not DLC
So no Piranha Plant

Here's mine

:ultinkling: Looks fun and unique... 9/10
:ultdaisy:Her inclusion still surprises me 8/10
:ultridley: Happy for his fans, but meh... 5/10
:ultsimon: By the power of Vampire Killer 9/10
:ultrichter: "What is an echo? A fun little extra character" 9/10
:ultchrom: You should have been in Smash 4 in the first place... 7/10
:ultdarksamus: It's Samus... but dark... 6/10
:ultkrool: Eh... Never really cared 3/10
:ultisabelle: Having played Villager in Smash 4, she looks like a fun twist on his play style 9/10
Easily looks like the most fun echo... 10/10
Oh, baby, a newcomer that actually calls to me. Definitely helps that Litten was my starter in Sun and Moon 10/10

Overall 8/10
Additions like Inkling, Incineroar, Isabelle, and the Belmonts look super fun, while most of the others are mixed...
Overall, pretty great...

As for Piranha Plant, He's a 9/10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good lord STOP REALLY STOP WITH GOKU that ain't going to happen ffs ! :facepalm:
OKAY OKAY LET ME EXPLAIN. I don't want him. But Sakurai is breaking all the rules lately: Cloud in Sm4sh, Everyone returning, PIRANHA PLANT. What's to say he won't take the next step?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And SE gave him cloud because they wanted to but still didnt wanna give him more songs

SE stay stingy
The song things isn't fair. It's not Square-Enix fault. It's that The FFVII music are basically a mess of a licence and are the composer's music.

Square-Enix are dumb for getting ****ed over music with DQ and FF, but it is not their fault if we only have 2 musics

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Okay, say the following sentence out loud, since even months after E3, this still feels surreal to even comprehend:
Ridley is a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

osby

Smash Obsessed
OKAY OKAY LET ME EXPLAIN. I don't want him. But Sakurai is breaking all the rules lately: Cloud in Sm4sh, Everyone returning, PIRANHA PLANT. What's to say he won't take the next step?
Because it's not a fan-made rule.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
If Ultimate gets a Wave 2 of DLC... I could actually see this happening. Goku capping everything off before the series reboots (which I think would be the evident result if they did a second wave of DLC).

NineS

Smash Lord
So... what are everyone's overall final thoughts on the base roster?
Here's mine

:ultinkling: Looks fun and unique... 9/10
:ultdaisy:Her inclusion still surprises me 8/10
:ultridley: Happy for his fans, but meh... 5/10
:ultsimon: By the power of Vampire Killer 9/10
:ultrichter: "What is an echo? A fun little extra character" 9/10
:ultchrom: You should have been in Smash 4 in the first place... 7/10
:ultdarksamus: It's Samus... but dark... 6/10
:ultkrool: Eh... Never really cared 3/10
:ultisabelle: Having played Villager in Smash 4, she looks like a fun twist on his play style 9/10
Easily looks like the most fun echo... 10/10
Oh, baby, a newcomer that actually calls to me. Definitely helps that Litten was my starter in Sun and Moon 10/10

Overall 8/10
Additions like Inkling, Incineroar, Isabelle, and the Belmonts look super fun, while most of the others are mixed...
Overall, pretty great...
You're forgetting someone.

and how could you forget him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom