• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I doubt she's into bdsm
And you'd be wrong.

I agree. It feels like it took a little less finesse to adapt piranha plant to Smash than WFT and Duck Hunt. It also doesn't elevate any Nintendo franchise. Mario doesn't need help in the form of more reps.
One thing about Piranha Plant: I know I said that before, but I think he picked because... he's just there. Doesn't actually add a new character, era, game, genre or series. It kinda makes sense for a bonus character. Maybe that's their way of saying he stole nobody's slot? Dunno, it feels like he's supposed to be a "meaningless" addition.

I'll admit, I'm still confused about him, even though I don't have a problem with him.

EDIT: Also, as Cosmic77 Cosmic77 said, his moveset is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just a thing I observed;

Hardcore fans: DLC speculation, bargaining about ATs, calculating the amount of modes etc.
Casual fans: Screaming about World of Light
I'm screaming about spirits and leveling up spirits, so I guess that means I'm a casual fan?

D

Deleted member

Have we gotten any confirmation it is fake since yesterday morning? I posted a theory about how assists and spirits do not deconfirm. Until Eric Bricard comes out and reveals some self interest for this leak, I have trouble believing someone took the time to set it all up.
Ken’s pose is different enough that it proves the whole thing is false.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Some of the dlc characters have to be nintendo characters.

Project plan was finished in december 2015.

The only missing main characters from popular nintendo franchises who come to my mind (fire emblem excluded) are Dixie Kong, Elma, Paper Mario and Bandana Dee.

2-3 of these characters will be dlc imo. Personally i think Dixie and Elma have best chances.

In terms of third party everything can happen. My gut feeling tells me: Geno, Banjo and Sora.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You know, after seeing how weird Sakurai can be (Hi, Piranha Plant), I do think he could just add a normal Waddle Dee with Bandana Dee and Sailor Dee as alts lol.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
So I take my shot at who's could be DLC I could only figure 4 with just 1 being whoever they want here my takes

1541164721358.png

Geno because he is a lot of hell requested Sora because he could makes sens with Kingdom Hearts III Being in the corner, Sylux because of Metroid Prime 4 and Banjo-Kazooie because of Banjo-Threeie being teased and likely to be announced next year. The Last is a big question mark and even from the remaining I wish in my signature roster I don't feel like any of those are likely to be selected.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Piranha plant to me feels as if he was going to be in the base roster (as the WTF character everyone expected), but development time ran out so instead of cutting him out they decided to make him free DLC.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
Have we gotten any confirmation it is fake since yesterday morning? I posted a theory about how assists and spirits do not deconfirm. Until Eric Bricard comes out and reveals some self interest for this leak, I have trouble believing someone took the time to set it all up.
Wait didn't that Mario the Plumber guy come out and say he was the one that faked it with help from a friend that works in a print shop? Or was that someone trying to pin it on him or maybe him lying for attention? I seem to remember that from yesterday.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I had believed it was a hoax up through the Nintendo Direct. However, since the airing of the Direct, I believe we do have irrefutable proof it was a hoax.
1. The Ken artwork, although similar, is different. [citation]
2. Shadow and Isaac were both shown as Assist Trophies. While this may not preclude them from future playability, they would not be on any current version of the banner.
3. Incineroar was not on the banner.
4. I have difficulty believing in the "these are future DLC characters on an outdated banner" theory when there's a complete lack of Piranha Plant.
5. Somebody, seemingly Mario Teh Plumber, notorious Nintendo troll, posted on 4chan earlier going into general detail as to how they made the leak. Although this may be a troll lying, it is completely possible it was indeed a hoax created by Mario Teh Plumber.

Beyond this, from what I had posted the other day:

Let's start with what I believe to be physical evidence.

To begin, the background is different. Yes, it can be argued that this is due to a lower quality image being used for printing and other reasons, and that may very well be the case. However, we now know what the blank background looks like. I personally do not believe that the background would be changed for this purpose. I think the background was created first and that it hasn't been touched since. I've heard multiple conflicting points on this, and would enjoy being correct if I am mistaken. As Artsi Omni has shown, the images shown can not only be created, but also the assets already available can be moved.

It was initially believed Eric to be employed by Marina, a company publicly known to work with both Namco Bandai and Universal. However, upon learning that he is no longer employed there, we do not know the same of his current company. That said, we have not received any statements from his current company invalidating the leak.

The promo artwork for the Grinch movie, I believe, has been combined with different custom assets to give the illusion of being legitimate. The promo Grinch artwork has also been confirmed to have existed beforehand.

Now for that which isn't evidence but is opinion.

I agree that it does take a lot into consideration for somebody to have produced such a paper trail, but it appears as though just a little bit of everything is sprinkled here. It comes across as purposeful to me. It is definitely a longshot story. I'm a history major and while in university, my first professor opened his first class by saying "Nothing in history has ever happened until it did." I think it fits here if the leak is a hoax. Nothing this grand and spectacular had been done, until it now it had. I think people underestimate the talent and patience of people.

It is a fact that a video presenting the appearance of his current job location was available by an associated bank was taken down. While this could be used in favor of the leak, I believe this is due wanting to remove negative attention they may have gotten from Super Smash Bros. fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why are you mad?
Sakurai gave us so much...
He cut no one at all
Most of the new characters were fan requested.
There's no need to be mad
It was a joke.
But seriously... Everyone is Dead, except Kirby. HORRIBLE Starting Roster. Aside from World of Light, the rest of Spirits Mode looks iffy. And Piranha Plant. ****ING. PIRANHA PLANT.

D

Deleted member

Wait didn't that Mario the Plumber guy come out and say he was the one that faked it with help from a friend that works in a print shop? Or was that someone trying to pin it on him or maybe him lying for attention? I seem to remember that from yesterday.
It was from a 4chan post, so it’s up to you to believe if it’s true or not. I want to believe it because the Grinch being a coincidence is amazing, but I’ll only believe when I see the faked mural art.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
Less finesse? Piranha Plant doesn't even have real limbs. The fact that Sakurai could create a moveset for a character with no arms or legs is insanely creative in my eyes.

And as far elevating Nintendo franchises, what's more recognizable than Super Mario? The sad truth is that a generic spiky plant enemy is infinitely more iconic than Isaac, Geno, and half of the other characters the Smash fanbase wants. Why encourage casuals (AKA the people who weren't already decided on whether they'd but the game) to get the game early with a free character if those people can't even recognize said character?
I actually really like the piranha plant execution, but it doesn't hit the same notes for me as the other characters because I liked Wii Fit and Duck Hunt a lot and neither seemed prime for main character representation, but Sakurai found a way. I could have envisioned a piranha moveset, but would not have been excited by it because the piranha plant has never stood out to me. It's not like the Wii Fit Trainer stood out but the game mechanics were enjoyable and theres something fun about seeing game mechanics that don't seem to fit at all with Smash adapted. Piranha plant has attacks going back many games that could be stretched into a moveset.

It's to me much cooler to see a niche or casual Nintendo franchise adapted and elevated than it is to pull only from "relevant" franchises. The series celebrates Nintendo primarily. I only give any heed to relevance in two circumstances: 1) the franchise has missing highly relevant characters 2) It's a third party franchise that Nintendo has to spend money by way of revenue sharing to feature in the game.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, what do you need to see in the dlc to make you buy it? For me, 5 new fighters (meaning should be 5 new playstyles) and 5 new stages sells me on it even without knowing who the specifics of who the fighters or stages will be.
At this point, the thing turning me off from dipping into my Christmas budget to buy early is the lackluster single player content. That said, there are still three NEVER EVERS that could push me overboard if they were somehow announced before release:
  • Ganon (pig)
  • Porky
  • Doomguy
That and more alt costumes.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
So about the DeeLC characters, here's my guess.

What I would love:
-Bandana Dee
-Chorus Kids
-Travis Touchdown
-Geno
-Banjo Kazooie

What we'll probably get:
-Gen 8 starter
-New FE protagonist
- Lloyd
- Rayman
- Dark Dr. Mario or some random thing like that

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It was a joke.
But seriously... Everyone is Dead, except Kirby. HORRIBLE Starting Roster. Aside from World of Light, the rest of Spirits Mode looks iffy. And Piranha Plant. ****ING. PIRANHA PLANT.
Really?
I'm feeling completely opposite reactions...
The base roster looks great, especially Inicineroar
Spirits mode looks super fun
Piranha Plant looks like a fun joke character.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
"MarioTehPlumber" stepped forward and claimed that he was behind the leak. He had a friend who worked at that French company, apparently, who he commissioned to make the banner and do the leak, for the express purpose of getting people's hopes up and hurting them, Nintendo, and Sakurai in the end.

Hard to say that he didn't kind of succeed.

Why are you mad?
Sakurai gave us so much...
He cut no one at all
Most of the new characters were fan requested.
There's no need to be mad

D

Deleted member

Really?
I'm feeling completely opposite reactions...
The base roster looks great, especially Inicineroar
Spirits mode looks super fun
Piranha Plant looks like a fun joke character.
STARTING. As in, open the box, only START with 8 characters.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"MarioTehPlumber" stepped forward and claimed that he was behind the leak. He had a friend who worked at that French company, apparently, who he commissioned to make the banner and do the leak, for the express purpose of getting people's hopes up and hurting them, Nintendo, and Sakurai in the end.

Can he get proof? Like a pic of the actual unblurried banner?

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys expecting a "DLC Pack 2"?

I'm definitely not, but what do you think?
I believe he said "All the DLC will be released up until february 2020" or something like that. So yeah, I think DLC support is going to stop once the fifth set comes out. I do think we'll be getting some balance patches up to a year more, but I think it's going to stop after that.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Actually...did we get anything for that gun model Sakurai bought that thing for? Doesn't look to have been used for anything far as I can tell
It was for the mii fighter that looks pretty much identical to that

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
It was from a 4chan post, so it’s up to you to believe if it’s true or not. I want to believe it because the Grinch being a coincidence is amazing, but I’ll only believe when I see the faked mural art.
Oh ok then likely someone trying to pin it on him I would assume. Until I have confirmation I would give him the benefit of doubt.

I could see them doing a second one. Any more past that would be kind of crazy. But I guess it could be possible maybe if it was non character stuff like more modes or something.

Speaking of modes do we know anything about Home-Run Contest, BtT and stuff like that? I've heard nothing about them and some people are saying they are confirmed gone.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't bet on 2 of the 5 DLC characters being form the same 3rd party company. We're getting Sora OR Geno; not both. And with the Insiders siding with Sora, that's probably what's most likely. Honestly, I'd probably put a bet on 3 Nintendo characters and only 2 third party characters making DLC, but I could see Rayman as well with how well the 'Rayman Leak' went over post Smash 4 release.

These would be my generic bets on DLC waves:
Option 1:
Square, Banjo-Kazooie, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo (with at least one of them likely to be a FE rep)

Option 2:
Square, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Nintendo, Nintendo (again, likely a FE rep, and hopefully another Zelda Rep)

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What we'll probably get:
-Gen 8 starter
-New FE protagonist
- Lloyd
- Rayman
- Dark Dr. Mario or some random thing like that
...that sounds pretty cool actually.

Nope, Sakurai seems like he can use a break.

Does Piranha Plant count as a new villain character?
Yes.

Saying "told you so" at this point would be both unnecessary and dishonest (I was 50/50) but I wish we were more skeptical. Though, at least, this time salt seems to be short-lived.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Shower thoughts:

The DLC characters will be leaked trough mining data like Ryu when the game launches or in a Patch

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
All of this talk about Edelgard kind of reminds me of when most of the few people looking for a Fates character for Smash 4 DLC were asking for Azura, the female with a cool design and unique weapon. Instead, we got the sword-wielding true main character, Corrin. I know there's more to Corrin than that, I'm just joking.
Which means if we get a FE:TH character, it's going to be Byleth, who looks likely to be the main avatar. So get ready for your next FE male kinda blue-haired swordsman. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom