• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Good news everyone! I GOT ROSTER MAKER ON MAC.

I'll be looking to upload a roster of my very own sooner or later. I've been obsessed with it almost all night. Still trying to work out the kinks, and actually added characters I never thought I would add.

BTW @Opossum could you share some of your ideas for Celica? Last time I read your ideas for her I was interested, but I'm forgetting some of the specifics!
Congratulations!
Since you actually agree that all characters from Smash 4 should return, I am happy to see your roster. :)
Villain talk, eh?

K. Rool and Kamek would be my personal picks. Marx and Ridley would be cool to have on the roster as well. Depending on how you count him, Waluigi would be another pick of mine.
Waluigi is not a villain, but King K. Rool would be a solid pick. Kamek maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Most of Hades's characterization that makes him beloved is an English-exclusive thing due to localization freedom. He's far less of a factor in Japan (and Sakurai's "intended" version of the character).
Really? How different is Hades' personality in the Japanese version of Uprising?

Cin726

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see more villain representation in Smash. So in addition to bringing Wolf back, why not throw some of these guys into the mix?

Black Shadow
Dark Samus
Eggman
King Boo
King K. Rool
Pigma
Ridley
Samurai Goroh
Sylux
Vaati
Waluigi

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do really like the idea of Dr. Coyle. I haven't played ARMS yet but, lord, do the character designs in that game ooze style and Dr. Coyle's is probably my favorite after Min-Min. I just have a hard time seeing ARMS getting more than one character aside from the ALT solution I proposed. At the very least, I think they're going to do Spring Man/Ribbon Girl ala Villager/Robin/Corrin/WFT where it's alternating boy-girl. I also believe they'll go this route because, if you watch the original trailer, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are literally revealed at the exact same time (about a minute and 12 seconds in).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Really? How different is Hades' personality in the Japanese version of Uprising?
Looking into it more, it appears I was lied to. He's still... kinda there.
I read that he was more "straight-played" as a villain, which was also part of why he made no appearance in Palutena's guidances. That... made sense at the time.
Nevermind.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I imagine 75 is the magic number. I'm in team half port so I don't think any characters are getting cut.
So 58+
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Toad or Waluigi
Dixie or K Rool
Sylux or Ridley
Rex
Springman
Inklings
New Pokemon
New FE
2 Retros/WTFs
2 easy clones
3 third parties
=

Thats our roster boys.
That's almost my exact prediction roster I posted earlier lol. Hopefully this ends up being the case.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Man, if Nintendo still owned Banjo-Kazooie, how awesome would it have been to see Gruntilda added to the roster?
If we're going to include Rare properties in this discussion, Wizpig would have made for another great villain in Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man, if Nintendo still owned Banjo-Kazooie, how awesome would it have been to see Gruntilda added to the roster?
If we're going to include Rare properties in this discussion, Wizpig would have made for another great villain in Smash.
I agree, a large villainous anthropomorphized pig creature who's known for his magical prowess is a must have for Smash.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Looking into it more, it appears I was lied to. He's still... kinda there.
I read that he was more "straight-played" as a villain, which was also part of why he made no appearance in Palutena's guidances. That... made sense at the time.
Nevermind.
So, I was right. Nintendo sucks at characterization.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So do we honestly think the Pic of the Day/ Dojo isn't returning this time around? I've been seeing rambling saying Sakurai is better just focusing on making the game. With the way Nintendo's been marketing the series, I can't see them skipping over it. I'm guessing it will return after the possible Smash Direct before E3.

And even if Sakurai is out that doesn't mean an intern can't handle the task.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So do we honestly think the Pic of the Day/ Dojo isn't returning this time around? I've been seeing rambling saying Sakurai is better just focusing on making the game. With the way Nintendo's been marketing the series, I can't see them skipping over it. I'm guessing it will return after the possible Smash Direct before E3.

And even if Sakurai is out that doesn't mean an intern can't handle the task.
If it does, I do not think it will be in the same way. I could see the Nintendo Versus Twitter page doing something maybe. In any case I reckon we will probably start seeing something from E3 onwards and not before hand. E3 will be the big blowout so they can then slowly delve into details from that point onward.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
So I was tinkering around with character archetypes as a way to help balance characters. I feel if characters actually fit to an archetype (with fairly balanced strengths and weaknesses), it would help prevent them from being too polarizing.

Here is the Smash 4 roster (along with cut Brawl veterans). A lot of the veterans either do a lot more than their archetype or don't even perform their archetype well at all. Nonetheless, I feel these are what Sakurai wanted the characters to feel like.

Sword (fencer archtype): :4lucina::4marth::4shulk::4myfriends::4corrinf::4feroy:
Mobile Offensive (super mobile with strong combo game): :4bayonetta::4zss::4falcon::4littlemac:

(he's complicated) :4cloud::4fox::4mewtwo:(kinda like a zoner too?):4sheik::4yoshi:(poorly) :4wario:(he has really bad range though)
Neutral Offensive (average mobility with strong combo game): :4mario:(ideally, but in practice turns out super mobile):4diddy:(also has a lot of zoning potential) :4lucario::4sonic:(I wish he wasn't so passive competitively) :4pit::4darkpit::4ness::wolf:
Slow Offensive (below average mobility or range with strong combo game):
:4drmario::4luigi::4ganondorf:(differentiates himself from heavies in range and size):4gaw::4peach::4ryu::4falco:(maybe Sakurai will make him a solid zoner again)
Zoner/Projectile (keeps people at a distance; dominant newcomer archetype): :4villager::4olimar::4pacman::4greninja::4duckhunt::4megaman::4samus::4robinm::4rob::4lucas::4bowserjr::4link::4zelda:(poorly):4tlink::4wiifit::snake:
Heavy (large size and range): :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4dedede:(
kinda like a Zoner too?)
Featherweight (small size and range): :4kirby::4metaknight::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:
Duo character: :rosalina::popo:
Wtf customs character: :4palutena:
(why Sakurai; she was going to be my main):4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

-----------
Potential Newcomer Archetype:

Inkling: Zoner (confirmed)
Rex and Pyra: Sword
Celica: sword, maybe zoner
Midna + Wolf Link: Heavy? (maybe neutral offensive)
Rayman: Neutral Offensive
Crash: same as Rayman
Bandanna Dee: Mix of featherweight and sword
Palutena designed better: practically any archetype, maybe zoner or Mobile Offensive
Chorus Kids: Trio character???
Dixie: Neutral Offensive
King K rool: Heavy (maybe heavy zoner like dedede)
Decidueye: Zoner
Takamaru: Zoner, maybe Sword
Excite Bike: lol
Ridley: Heavy
Paper Mario: Zoner, maybe Sword (honestly I can't think of an interesting moveset for him)
Isabelle: Zoner like Villager
Ashley: Zoner like Duck Hunt
Impa: Sword or maybe Mobile Offensive
Isaac: Sword or Zoner
Spring Man: Sword (on steroids)

Let me know if you have any other newcomer ideas that fit some of these archetypes!

:kirby:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Villains talk you say?? I recently made a new signature just for such an occasion :)

I’ve come to realize that almost any remaining character I want to see in Smash is a villain, and while some of them are highly unlikely, I’m hoping one or two get in.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So I was tinkering around with character archetypes as a way to help balance characters. I feel if characters actually fit to an archetype (with fairly balanced strengths and weaknesses), it would help prevent them from being too polarizing.

Here is the Smash 4 roster (along with cut Brawl veterans). A lot of the veterans either do a lot more than their archetype or don't even perform their archetype well at all. Nonetheless, I feel these are what Sakurai wanted the characters to feel like.

Sword (fencer archtype): :4lucina::4marth::4shulk::4myfriends::4corrinf::4feroy:
Mobile Offensive (super mobile with strong combo game): :4bayonetta::4zss::4falcon::4littlemac:

(he's complicated) :4cloud::4fox::4mewtwo:(kinda like a zoner too?):4sheik::4yoshi:(poorly) :4wario:(he has really bad range though)
Neutral Offensive (average mobility with strong combo game): :4mario:(ideally, but in practice turns out super mobile):4diddy:(also has a lot of zoning potential) :4lucario::4sonic:(I wish he wasn't so passive competitively) :4pit::4darkpit::4ness::wolf:
Slow Offensive (below average mobility or range with strong combo game):
:4drmario::4luigi::4ganondorf:(differentiates himself from heavies in range and size):4gaw::4peach::4ryu::4falco:(maybe Sakurai will make him a solid zoner again)
Zoner/Projectile (keeps people at a distance; dominant newcomer archetype): :4villager::4olimar::4pacman::4greninja::4duckhunt::4megaman::4samus::4robinm::4rob::4lucas::4bowserjr::4link::4zelda:(poorly):4tlink::4wiifit::snake:
Heavy (large size and range): :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4dedede:(
kinda like a Zoner too?)
Featherweight (small size and range): :4kirby::4metaknight::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:
Duo character: :rosalina::popo:
Wtf customs character: :4palutena:
(why Sakurai; she was going to be my main):4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

-----------
Potential Newcomer Archetype:

Inkling: Zoner (confirmed)
Rex and Pyra: Sword
Celica: sword, maybe zoner
Midna + Wolf Link: Heavy? (maybe neutral offensive)
Rayman: Neutral Offensive
Crash: same as Rayman
Bandanna Dee: Mix of featherweight and sword
Palutena designed better: practically any archetype, maybe zoner or Mobile Offensive
Chorus Kids: Trio character???
Dixie: Neutral Offensive
King K rool: Heavy (maybe heavy zoner like dedede)
Decidueye: Zoner
Takamaru: Zoner, maybe Sword
Excite Bike: lol
Ridley: Heavy
Paper Mario: Zoner, maybe Sword (honestly I can't think of an interesting moveset for him)
Isabelle: Zoner like Villager
Ashley: Zoner like Duck Hunt
Impa: Sword or maybe Mobile Offensive
Isaac: Sword or Zoner
Spring Man: Sword (on steroids)

Let me know if you have any other newcomer ideas that fit some of these archetypes!

:kirby:
I reckon if Shovel Knight got in he would be like a sword wielder, but it would be nice if he also had that more mobile offensive comboy-ness to him as he is pretty quick and mobile in his game.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So, given the topic at hand (even though I don't really support the character at all) what do people think about Camilla from Fire Emblem Fates as a female villain? There's no FE axe user yet so that'd be something too I guess.
Going back to this, as someone pointed out, Camillia isn't really a villian. Expanding on that more, even as an antagonist in birthright and revelations she really doesn't do much.

There are techically options if you still want a fire emblem villian.

The more obvious one being King Garon espically if you want an axe user to go along with the villany. He does play a villianous role in all three campaignes of fates. Of course there is a huge problem. He is massively unpopular. I don't know anyone who really likes him. He is a pretty generic villian all things considered. I don't know how happy even people who want to see more villians would be if he ended up joining.

There is another option if you want a character from Fates who is also a major villian. Granted, there is a big technicallity in there.
Takumi. He is the final boss of Conquest. He also constantly gets in your way in conquest. Like I said though, it would only be a technical villian. Because only when he is the final boss of conquest is he really a villian. Other than that he is an overall good character. And he would most likely be presented as a hero in smash aside from maybe a final smash.

Now if you want a female villian from fire emblem, there is one more option from the fire emblem heros mobile game. Being Veronica. With that said, the chance of her being in smash is low. Fire emblem heros launched in 2017. And even though the recent fire emblem heros choose your legends poll showed Veronica was popular, thats just it, it was recent. Even though Fire emblem heros did make a lot of money, that was also a recent thing, so I kinda doubt it unless they really wanted to advertised heros and they asked Sakurai ahead of time when he was making the roster. But even then like I said, they wouldn't have known if she would've been popular or not. And also even then there wouldn't be a guarentee. There are plenty of other characters from that game they could've choosed to advertise. Like Alfonse, Sharena, Anna(though that one is weird because there are a lot of Annas from many different fire emblem games), or the Summoner even.

Just wanted to throw a small hat in the villian discussion.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I suppose I may as well throw my roster prediction on here. This roster assumes that transformations do not return, all of the DLC/roster updates for the game has been released, and there are no cuts in the transition from Smash 4 to Smash 5. Also the program I was using for this did not have renders for Link and Zelda's incarnations from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so just pretend they're there.

In total, 84 characters. 61 veterans (including Pichu returning from Melee and Ice Climbers and Wolf returning from Brawl) along with 23 newcomers. Reasons for many of the choices in this roster are listed below:
  • Roster Size: 84 characters sounds like a lot, especially when compared to the 58-character roster. My prediction is that this game will be a service-type deal, and Nintendo will continually support the game throughout the Switch's lifespan. As such, I can see us continually getting free updates to the roster, among other things, for a few years after the game is initially released. What will the base roster be then? No real way to tell, though if I had to guess it'd start out less than Smash 4's roster. How often will the roster get updates? Again, no real way to tell, though I think it'll be more frequent than the DLC characters in Smash 4 at least. Why do I predict this? This seems to be a trend Nintendo has been doing, with Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Super Mario Odyssey (to a degree) implementing it. I can see it being done with Smash 5, and it would honestly be a good way to take the series.
  • Not Cuts: I'm predicting this game will be using a lot from Smash 4, from the physics engine to the overall game flow. I understand that Smash 4 was built upon Brawl, but I feel this is a case more like the relationship between Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Mario Tennis Aces, or Splatoon or Splatoon 2. As such, considering they already have the characters all set and ready, it makes zero since to cut any of them when they can just be ported over nice and easy. All you really need to do is tweak em a bit so they're slightly different and feel new / better (or in the case of Link, completely different).
  • Clones: This has been stated many, many times, but cutting the clones to save time is really counterproductive considering they take almost no work at all compared to a traditional character. As for the clones I selected? I'm predicting all three from Smash 4 will make the return at least. As for the other three, they can be interchangeable depending on what Sakurai wants. I used Pichu, a cut veteran, Alph, a character who was meant to be in Smash 4 but was regulated to a costume due to time constrains, and Ribbon Girl, a character who could add more representation to a new franchise.
  • Mario Characters: Toad I feel is a lot more likely than Captain Toad. He's been apart of the series since the original Super Mario Bros. on NES, has been in almost every Mario game since, and has become one of the most iconic characters in the series. That should NOT be overlooked just because another Toad ended up getting his own spin-off. Plus, from what I hear, the general consensus of Captain Toad jumping is a big no-no, which is another reason I feel Toad is more likely. As for Paper Mario, he represents the RPG branch of the Mario series that has yet to be represented; I feel now is the time for him to be added, as stuff from Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam in particular could make him a real unique fighter. As much as I'd like a partner-based moveset more, I don't see it happening as those games have bee long gone and Nintendo probably doesn't even want to acknowledge their existence at this point. I understand nine sounds like a lot of characters, but Mario just has a lot of characters. It's Nintendo's flagship franchise, and it's almost impossible to say it's bloating the roster when the franchise in question is the sole reason Nintendo is as big as it is today.
  • Kamek: I added Kamek as a second Yoshi rep. Probably personal bias, and I know I may be more prone than the average bear to recognize stuff like this, but the Yoshi series has been getting a lot more attention as of late, what with Yoshi's Woolly World, it's 3DS port, and the new game coming on Switch. I feel this is a sign that Yoshi may get more attention in Smash; Kamek is a pipe dream, though I fully expect some actual trophies this time around.
  • Donkey Kong characters: Dixie Kong had the recent comeback thanks to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and King K. Rool I imagine scored pretty high on the ballot, which I assume many of the newcomers will be based off of. Both of them are pretty likely in my book.
  • The Legend of Zelda characters: Link was revealed in his The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild incarnation in the teaser, implying that will be his default look in the game. I'd assume Zelda will be getting her appearance in this game as well, and I think both will get a new moveset. Because of that, I think it would make since to keep Toon Link and introduce Toon Zelda so both of them can inherent the old movesets. As for Impa... really she can be interchangeable with any other The Legend of Zelda character. Impa I feel is the most likely out of them, though other viable candidates that come to mind are Skull Kid, Midna, and the Champions.
  • Metroid characters: I cannot see Ridley making the roster after what Sakurai has said about him. I'd like for him to be in, but being one of the few characters Sakurai has actually talked about, I can't see him ever making the cut until we get a new director. Furthermore, I don't really see Metroid getting a third rep anyway, even with Metroid Prime 4 on the way as that game is probably coming out too late.
  • Ninten: I feel the addition of Ninten would be a good way to round up the MOTHER series; Ninten reps the first game, Ness reps the second game, and Lucas reps the third game.
  • ARMS characters: I understand that ARMS has been in the talk lately and some believe it may not make the initial roster. I believe that too, though if my roster update prediction is correct, I feel we may see Spring Man coming after the game is released. ARMS is the Nintendo Switch's first IP, and it makes sense to include it at some point. As for why I predict Spring Man? Literally only because he is the poster child of the series. I understand that some argue that there are more interesting characters, like Min Min and Dr. Coyle, but that literally does not matter. It's like having Pokemon in Smash but not Pikachu. Ribbon Girl is also present on the roster, who has been discussed.
  • Pokemon characters: I can't see Gen VIII making the roster. Not only did we just get done with Gen VII, but Smash 5 is coming out this year. WAY too late. The Gen VII Pokemon I picked, Decidueye, could be interchangeable with any other Pokemon from that generation; Incenaroar, Primarina, Lurantis, Mimmikyu, Magearna, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, and so on. Meloetta is also on the roster. Again, this can be interchangeable with another Pokemon rep, though I feel Meloetta has potential with her unique formes; this can probably be utilized as a pseudo-transformation, which changes hr stats. I'll be devoting a future post to a possible moveset for her, but the potential is there. There is also the inclusion of Pichu, who I already addressed. As for Squirtle and Ivyaur... look, I like them just as much as the next guy, but I don't think there's much hope for either of them; Charizard is a lot more iconic than them and reps Gen I starters well enough on his own.
  • Waddle Dee: Waddle Dee has been a hot topic lately, though personally I think he has a shot. Back when the Smash 4 roster was decided, he really only had one major appearance in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Now, Waddle Dee has shown that he's becoming a recurring character, so I think now is as good of a time as ever to add him.
  • Celica: Yall are getting another Fire Emblem character weather you like it or not. I'm putting an 80% wager on Celica, though someone else may be present instead.
  • Dillon: With his new game coming to Switch, I think he lucked out with the roster this time around. If that's not perfect timing idk what is.
  • Rhythm Heaven character: The series I feel could make for an interesting rep. This roster used a "Rhythm Troupe" idea someone had, though you can change it with any Rhythm Heaven character you like.
  • Star Man: Star Man from Pro Wrestling is my prediction for this game's obscure retro rep. What Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt all have in common, above all else, is that they're surprise characters, who are meant to appear as a total surprise when they are revealed (or leaked). A few suggestions I hear don't really fit this criteria - Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Ayumi, Urban Champion, all of em have been previously considered by Sakurai and turned down. Another candidate I keep hearing, Sheriff, doesn't fit either simply because of his Assist Trophy appearance in Smash 4. As such, a new rep needs to be someone not considered or predicted before, and Pro Wrestling fits that description to a tee.
  • Rex: He's in the same boat with Spring Man / Ribbon Girl; he probably won't make the base roster but he definitely will be added eventually. Not to mention Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold over a million copies in its first week (iirc), and Sakurai himself personally wrote an essay on how much he enjoyed the game.
  • Virdi: Considering Sakurai helms Kid Icarus now, I can see him adding a new character. Viridi is really the only one I see as likely though; Medusa and Hades don't have a snowball's chance in hell imho
  • Third Parties: All four new third parties I selected can be interchangeable, these are just the ones I'd want, personal bias. Crash has been recently revived and has been a major icon on the PlayStation, especially in Japan in his early days. Rabbid Mario is currently my most-wanted character in the game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is fueled with a lot of personality and fun, and a moveset involving various weapons from the game would be very interesting. Minecraft I feel has become too big to ignore; it has already hit Nintendo consoles and is the second-best selling game of all time (if memory serves). Lastly, if indies are to be considered, Shantae would be my go-to pick. Shovel Knight and Lilac I feel are also likely, and you can change her with whoever you want.
Thoughts?

EDIT: I also wanna point out that, as this is made with the prediction Smash 5 will be a service-type game, several Switch games with potential newcomers could be released. As such, this roster is subject to change.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
hopefully isaac did well in the ballot to warrant his inclusion. i mean sakurai could help revive the golden sun series by including isaac in smash.

also one more thing,
for the love of god sakurai make this roster an even numbered roster. i can't stand odd numbered rosters. plus i wont be able to make a rivals list for all the characters.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I suppose I may as well throw my roster prediction on here. This roster assumes that transformations do not return, all of the DLC/roster updates for the game has been released, and there are no cuts in the transition from Smash 4 to Smash 5. Also the program I was using for this did not have renders for Link and Zelda's incarnations from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so just pretend they're there.

In total, 84 characters. 61 veterans (including Pichu returning from Melee and Ice Climbers and Wolf returning from Brawl) along with 23 newcomers. Reasons for many of the choices in this roster are listed below:
  • Roster Size: 84 characters sounds like a lot, especially when compared to the 58-character roster. My prediction is that this game will be a service-type deal, and Nintendo will continually support the game throughout the Switch's lifespan. As such, I can see us continually getting free updates to the roster, among other things, for a few years after the game is initially released. What will the base roster be then? No real way to tell, though if I had to guess it'd start out less than Smash 4's roster. How often will the roster get updates? Again, no real way to tell, though I think it'll be more frequent than the DLC characters in Smash 4 at least. Why do I predict this? This seems to be a trend Nintendo has been doing, with Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Super Mario Odyssey (to a degree) implementing it. I can see it being done with Smash 5, and it would honestly be a good way to take the series.
  • Not Cuts: I'm predicting this game will be using a lot from Smash 4, from the physics engine to the overall game flow. I understand that Smash 4 was built upon Brawl, but I feel this is a case more like the relationship between Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Mario Tennis Aces, or Splatoon or Splatoon 2. As such, considering they already have the characters all set and ready, it makes zero since to cut any of them when they can just be ported over nice and easy. All you really need to do is tweak em a bit so they're slightly different and feel new / better (or in the case of Link, completely different).
  • Clones: This has been stated many, many times, but cutting the clones to save time is really counterproductive considering they take almost no work at all compared to a traditional character. As for the clones I selected? I'm predicting all three from Smash 4 will make the return at least. As for the other three, they can be interchangeable depending on what Sakurai wants. I used Pichu, a cut veteran, Alph, a character who was meant to be in Smash 4 but was regulated to a costume due to time constrains, and Ribbon Girl, a character who could add more representation to a new franchise.
  • Mario Characters: Toad I feel is a lot more likely than Captain Toad. He's been apart of the series since the original Super Mario Bros. on NES, has been in almost every Mario game since, and has become one of the most iconic characters in the series. That should NOT be overlooked just because another Toad ended up getting his own spin-off. Plus, from what I hear, the general consensus of Captain Toad jumping is a big no-no, which is another reason I feel Toad is more likely. As for Paper Mario, he represents the RPG branch of the Mario series that has yet to be represented; I feel now is the time for him to be added, as stuff from Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam in particular could make him a real unique fighter. As much as I'd like a partner-based moveset more, I don't see it happening as those games have bee long gone and Nintendo probably doesn't even want to acknowledge their existence at this point. I understand nine sounds like a lot of characters, but Mario just has a lot of characters. It's Nintendo's flagship franchise, and it's almost impossible to say it's bloating the roster when the franchise in question is the sole reason Nintendo is as big as it is today.
  • Kamek: I added Kamek as a second Yoshi rep. Probably personal bias, and I know I may be more prone than the average bear to recognize stuff like this, but the Yoshi series has been getting a lot more attention as of late, what with Yoshi's Woolly World, it's 3DS port, and the new game coming on Switch. I feel this is a sign that Yoshi may get more attention in Smash; Kamek is a pipe dream, though I fully expect some actual trophies this time around.
  • Donkey Kong characters: Dixie Kong had the recent comeback thanks to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and King K. Rool I imagine scored pretty high on the ballot, which I assume many of the newcomers will be based off of. Both of them are pretty likely in my book.
  • The Legend of Zelda characters: Link was revealed in his The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild incarnation in the teaser, implying that will be his default look in the game. I'd assume Zelda will be getting her appearance in this game as well, and I think both will get a new moveset. Because of that, I think it would make since to keep Toon Link and introduce Toon Zelda so both of them can inherent the old movesets. As for Impa... really she can be interchangeable with any other The Legend of Zelda character. Impa I feel is the most likely out of them, though other viable candidates that come to mind are Skull Kid, Midna, and the Champions.
  • Metroid characters: I cannot see Ridley making the roster after what Sakurai has said about him. I'd like for him to be in, but being one of the few characters Sakurai has actually talked about, I can't see him ever making the cut until we get a new director. Furthermore, I don't really see Metroid getting a third rep anyway, even with Metroid Prime 4 on the way as that game is probably coming out too late.
  • Ninten: I feel the addition of Ninten would be a good way to round up the MOTHER series; Ninten reps the first game, Ness reps the second game, and Lucas reps the third game.
  • ARMS characters: I understand that ARMS has been in the talk lately and some believe it may not make the initial roster. I believe that too, though if my roster update prediction is correct, I feel we may see Spring Man coming after the game is released. ARMS is the Nintendo Switch's first IP, and it makes sense to include it at some point. As for why I predict Spring Man? Literally only because he is the poster child of the series. I understand that some argue that there are more interesting characters, like Min Min and Dr. Coyle, but that literally does not matter. It's like having Pokemon in Smash but not Pikachu. Ribbon Girl is also present on the roster, who has been discussed.
  • Pokemon characters: I can't see Gen VIII making the roster. Not only did we just get done with Gen VII, but Smash 5 is coming out this year. WAY too late. The Gen VII Pokemon I picked, Decidueye, could be interchangeable with any other Pokemon from that generation; Incenaroar, Primarina, Lurantis, Mimmikyu, Magearna, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, and so on. Meloetta is also on the roster. Again, this can be interchangeable with another Pokemon rep, though I feel Meloetta has potential with her unique formes; this can probably be utilized as a pseudo-transformation, which changes hr stats. I'll be devoting a future post to a possible moveset for her, but the potential is there. There is also the inclusion of Pichu, who I already addressed. As for Squirtle and Ivyaur... look, I like them just as much as the next guy, but I don't think there's much hope for either of them; Charizard is a lot more iconic than them and reps Gen I starters well enough on his own.
  • Waddle Dee: Waddle Dee has been a hot topic lately, though personally I think he has a shot. Back when the Smash 4 roster was decided, he really only had one major appearance in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Now, Waddle Dee has shown that he's becoming a recurring character, so I think now is as good of a time as ever to add him.
  • Celica: Yall are getting another Fire Emblem character weather you like it or not. I'm putting an 80% wager on Celica, though someone else may be present instead.
  • Dillon: With his new game coming to Switch, I think he lucked out with the roster this time around. If that's not perfect timing idk what is.
  • Rhythm Heaven character: The series I feel could make for an interesting rep. This roster used a "Rhythm Troupe" idea someone had, though you can change it with any Rhythm Heaven character you like.
  • Star Man: Star Man from Pro Wrestling is my prediction for this game's obscure retro rep. What Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt all have in common, above all else, is that they're surprise characters, who are meant to appear as a total surprise when they are revealed (or leaked). A few suggestions I hear don't really fit this criteria - Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Ayumi, Urban Champion, all of em have been previously considered by Sakurai and turned down. Another candidate I keep hearing, Sheriff, doesn't fit either simply because of his Assist Trophy appearance in Smash 4. As such, a new rep needs to be someone not considered or predicted before, and Pro Wrestling fits that description to a tee.
  • Rex: He's in the same boat with Spring Man / Ribbon Girl; he probably won't make the base roster but he definitely will be added eventually. Not to mention Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold over a million copies in its first week (iirc), and Sakurai himself personally wrote an essay on how much he enjoyed the game.
  • Virdi: Considering Sakurai helms Kid Icarus now, I can see him adding a new character. Viridi is really the only one I see as likely though; Medusa and Hades don't have a snowball's chance in hell imho
  • Third Parties: All four new third parties I selected can be interchangeable, these are just the ones I'd want, personal bias. Crash has been recently revived and has been a major icon on the PlayStation, especially in Japan in his early days. Rabbid Mario is currently my most-wanted character in the game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is fueled with a lot of personality and fun, and a moveset involving various weapons from the game would be very interesting. Minecraft I feel has become too big to ignore; it has already hit Nintendo consoles and is the second-best selling game of all time (if memory serves). Lastly, if indies are to be considered, Shantae would be my go-to pick. Shovel Knight and Lilac I feel are also likely, and you can change her with whoever you want.
Thoughts?

EDIT: I also wanna point out that, as this is made with the prediction Smash 5 will be a service-type game, several Switch games with potential newcomers could be released. As such, this roster is subject to change.
I like some of the things you have going on here, but others just seem very unlikely.

Firstly, I really dislike the idea of Smash being a game as a service model game. That is the kind of stuff EA and Microsoft are doing and none of those games have turned out well. There is Overwatch, but that is a very different game to Smash. A Smash game should be all on the cartridge/inital file. Obviously this is somewhat stretched with update patches and DLC, but in general the game is all there from the beginning.

Secondly, some of the characters you have here are pretty unlikely in my opinion. Meloetta is a Pokémon that I highly doubt will be playable as it is not that popular and is from a few generations ago. Pichu is another one who is pretty unlikely to return. Toon Zelda is another character who definitely will not be in the game.

I do like some of the characters you have though, like Kamek, K.Rool and Bandana Dee, Isabelle as well. On a personal note I would add Ridley and replace Meloetta with a gen 8 or Decidueye.

It is always pretty cool to see what people would like in their rosters though.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Dr. Coyle is a huge long shot but imo she would be a fantastic character for smash. Not only is she a villain (always fun) but she also has some really unique mechanics. Plus, while spring man (or whoever) would probably have rush attack for a final smash Dr. Coyle could have hedlok come down and power her up. Plus she can float and stuff which is fun.

Hey this is an even longer shot and will probably never ever happen but I think a Byte and Barq duo that acts like Rosalina & Luma would be outrageously fun. Neither he nor Dr. Coyle will probably ever happen though :( thems the breaks!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Firstly, I really dislike the idea of Smash being a game as a service model game. That is the kind of stuff EA and Microsoft are doing and none of those games have turned out well. There is Overwatch, but that is a very different game to Smash. A Smash game should be all on the cartridge/inital file. Obviously this is somewhat stretched with update patches and DLC, but in general the game is all there from the beginning.
They've already been doing it for games like ARMS and Splatoon 2, and as far as I'm aware it's been received pretty well.

There's also the fact that lately Nintendo has earned themselves the title of not being ****ty when it comes to DLC/updates, so I'll trust them with it.
Secondly, some of the characters you have here are pretty unlikely in my opinion. Meloetta is a Pokémon that I highly doubt will be playable as it is not that popular and is from a few generations ago. Pichu is another one who is pretty unlikely to return. Toon Zelda is another character who definitely will not be in the game.
I mentioned that Meloetta could be intechangeable with any other Pokemon rep; she was just the one I picked as I saw some potential in her. Same could be said for Pichu, depending on what clones Sakurai feels he could include. I just picked her because it brought back another cut veteran. Frankly I don't see why Toon Zelda is so out of the question, as I explained that her place in the roster would be justified if Zelda got a new moveset and she'd retain the old moveset.
On a personal note I would add Ridley and replace Meloetta with a gen 8 or Decidueye.
Decidueye's already on the roster ya goof :p

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
They've already been doing it for games like ARMS and Splatoon 2, and as far as I'm aware it's been received pretty well.

There's also the fact that lately Nintendo has earned themselves the title of not being ****ty when it comes to DLC/updates, so I'll trust them with it.

I mentioned that Meloetta could be intechangeable with any other Pokemon rep; she was just the one I picked as I saw some potential in her. Same could be said for Pichu, depending on what clones Sakurai feels he could include. I just picked her because it brought back another cut veteran. Frankly I don't see why Toon Zelda is so out of the question, as I explained that her place in the roster would be justified if Zelda got a new moveset and she'd retain the old moveset.

Decidueye's already on the roster ya goof :p
Looks like a missed a few things. Whoops :psycho:

You are right about Splatoon and Arms working well for Nintendo for the as a service model, but, again I feel that are quite different to Smash. Smash is the kind of game that we should be able to stick the cartridge into the Switch in 20 years time and be able to play it with most, if not all, of the content. But again, this is just my opinion :)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I really feel that people posting rosters over 70 characters are just setting themselves up for disappointment. I know it always grows but still... 70 characters is just such a huge amount and body of work.

I'd hate to have to beat Classic mode 70 times.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I really feel that people posting rosters over 70 characters are just setting themselves up for disappointment. I know it always grows but still... 70 characters is just such a huge amount and body of work.

For me, it depends on what exactly Classic Mode entails. If Classic Mode is anything like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, then **** me over.

Though if the Classic Mode is anything like Melee or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, then I'd be willing to play it that many times.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

"Beat true all-star without using healing items"

Imagine attempting that with 70 characters.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Are people forgetting that Microsoft owns Minecraft? I feel like Banjo is much more likely than Steve because of that.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Based off the Smash U CSS, you can add 3 or 9 characters, depending on how you want to do things. For my prediction list, I've gone with 9.
- Ice Climbers (Returning)
- Snake (Returning)
- Wolf (Returning)

- Inkling
- Ridley (The WTF? character because 'WTF? He's Playable!?)
- Spring Man

- Cranky Kong
- Decidueye
- Bandana Dee

And that's IF every character returns from Smash U, which I think they will.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Are people forgetting that Microsoft owns Minecraft? I feel like Banjo is much more likely than Steve because of that.
I don't consider either likely, but Steve has a merit that Banjo doesn't: Steve would be able to bring in a new audience.
Banjo is super popular among the Nintendo 64 crowd, but most of the 64 fans are already interested in Smash - or have heard of it at the very least, seeing as they're generally a bit older.

Steve, on the other hand, could potentially bring in hundreds of thousands of Minecraft players. Those players are generally a bit younger and have potentially never heard of Smash before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
hopefully isaac did well in the ballot to warrant his inclusion. i mean sakurai could help revive the golden sun series by including isaac in smash.

also one more thing,
for the love of god sakurai make this roster an even numbered roster. i can't stand odd numbered rosters. plus i wont be able to make a rivals list for all the characters.
Did you count all the unique alts as well for your roster rivals? >.>

Anyway, as much as I'd like Isaac, there's still whether having him in via the ballot would work well. Making a comprehensive moveset looks easy on the outside, but when you really get into it, you need to carefully put it together to represent the character(or franchise, as the Mother characters show) well, and if you're including some kind of gimmick(considering the class system in Golden Sun, which is a huge part of the gameplay, a lot could be done. So it's complicated in how to really make it work well. There's all kinds of ways, of course. Like alternate costumes with identical moves with different models, but that sounds like a lot of work. A stance system to change up a few moves, but a similar issue. And so on).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Beat true all-star without using healing items"

Imagine attempting that with 70 characters.
Didn’t you only have to do that once? It wasn’t like beating All-Star on 7.0+ with everyone, which was a headache of a time sink. >_<

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
As much as I do like All-Star Mode, I'm wondering if Sakurai could work out an alternative such as only one character from each franchise will appear. If you base this off the icons, All-Star would still have 25 characters and maybe you could just lower their high launching.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Didn’t you only have to do that once? It wasn’t like beating All-Star on 7.0+ with everyone, which was a headache of a time sink. >_<
Yes but doing it with the amount of characters in Smash 4 was pushing it. Having to stay alive against 70 characters with no healing would be insane.

Also, all-star didn't use the sliding difficulty scale. It only had easy, normal and hard. No 0.0 to 9.0.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At the very least, there should be some more heart containers in the lobby now.

Otherwise you'll have to make every fight multi-yoshi fight levels of easy for balence.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm expecting 5-7 newcomers, a roster of no more than 65 characters, and possible cuts.

Hey, who cares if I come across as pessimistic? I'm purposely setting my expectations low so that I'll be less likely to be disappointed if Smash Switch doesn't end up being the game I wanted it to be.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That's why I'm trying to low ball my prediction with 64 characters. With 8 cuts, we still get a reasonable amount of newcomers though.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here is my first ever roster. It's really big, and not what I'm expecting at all but it sure was fun. I cut more character than this but didn't want to face the wrath of Smashboards so just put them back in. This is more of a newcomer discussion anyway. Hope you like it.

Wii U-3DS Roster.png

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Marx over Bandana Dee.....

That, honestly, just feels disrespectful to the Kirby series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom