• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly just want Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. A BotW Ganondorf would either look really good, or horrendously ugly and awful. Even the former I can't really see looking better than the HW Ganondorf.

I don't really want them to keep the TP look. It'd feel weird using that when everyone else gets updated, and I think the look is starting to seem a bit dated.
I, personally, hate the Twilight Princess design so much that I would be willing to take the plunge on a BotW design. I just doubt Sakurai is even going to bother. The only hope for that is that he is not really involved with this one; however, I am pretty sure he is.

Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf would, by far, be the easiest and most pleasing. But, again, Nintendo is not necessarily known for using spin-off designs in their games that are not spin-offs (albeit, Smash is technically a spin-off of Nintendo in general). Even with Wario they made sure he was the exception with his iconic yellow overall get-up.

Ganonodorf reminds Sakurai of his late father, so I honestly doubt he'll be changed.
??? :urg:

If we're showing off rosters, here mine at a really early stage of development.
View attachment 139516
So far I'm having trouble narrowing down my newcomers to a reasonable level

(in case there's doubt, Blue is Smash 4, Red are previous cuts, Green is confirmed and yellow is potenital newcomers.)

Any opinions?
My thought is that while anything is possible, Gardevoir is not.

Sorry for the delay. Some stuff happened at home. Anyways, the winner was Sothe for the last Radiant Dawn poll. Ashera and Soren were decently popular, then there's Cain who did horribly for a Laguz.

Next up without be the start of three Awakening polls, starting with Chom's main group. Your choices are Chrom, Lissa, Frederick, and Cordelia.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.
Oh, finally, a game I played.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Figure I might as well share this thing me and Aussie worked on yesterday... ahem.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is probably one of my favorite prediction rosters I have even seen. No over-the-top third parties, No Ridley ( I am sure Sakruai still thinks he is too big ), and you did not add too much characters. I love it.
There's nothing wrong with not liking a character y'know. You don't have to hide behind Sakurai's quotes whenever you talk about Ridley.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>When you read past pages and see people saying that Roy is only popular by the smash fan when he won the CYL poll alongside Ike in FEH in an international vote, over Hector, Ephraim, Chrom, Marth (even without the vote split) and forget that his game was pretty much loved in Japan as he's the representation of the First Fire Emblem Renaissance in Japan before Awakening on GBA

Never change SmashBoard. Never Change.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I want Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf to have Breath of the Wild designs.

Zelda has a design in the ne wgame. Sheik can be based on the sheikah armor Link wears.

Ganondorf can be designed based on Gerudo armor and Sheikah tech armor.
If Link is getting his BoTW design, Zelda most likely will too. They will probably also get moveset revamps, with their old specials as custom moves. I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.

Sheik might get a redesign too like she did for Brawl. Sheik didn't appear in Twilight Princess or Breath of The Wild, but she's a Smash fan favorite now. She's not going anywhere, and if they designed a look for her before, they'll probably do it again. The Sheikah armor is probably a good guess as to what she'd look like.

Ganondorf is a toss up really. If they did a humanoid Calamity Ganon it could work I suppose. That'd be a monstrosity though. They could go with his HW design (I still don't fully understand why people don't think Hyrule Warriors can be represented.), but then he'd look disjointed from the rest of the Zelda cast. Same can be said if they leave him in his Twilight Princess design.

I guess we will just have to wait and see. There are some liberties given with Smash I think. Like with Sheik's design, Greninja's moveset, and Mr. Game & Watch just to give a few examples.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's nothing wrong with not liking a character y'know. You don't have to hide behind Sakurai's quotes whenever you talk about Ridley.
Not everyone that believes he would not function entirely well is necessarily opposed to the character themselves. Further to the point, plenty of them that DO believe he could work still believe Sakurai is the biggest roadblock which is objectively true and he has stated, basically, that it was not going to happen. I do not trust him as far as I can throw him, which is actually pretty far given how small he is, the point remains that unless they directly state that they dislike the character, there is no reason to assume otherwise and call their character into question. It is unbecoming of Ridley supporters and only really serves to create another reason for people to genuinely oppose the character past Sakurai's own fallacies.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If we're showing off rosters, here is mine at a really early stage of development.
View attachment 139516
So far I'm having trouble narrowing down my newcomers to a reasonable level

(in case there's doubt, Blue is Smash 4, Red are previous cuts, Green is confirmed and yellow is potenital newcomers.)

Any opinions?
I believe you have 80% who will get in Smash. I would probably add Capitain Toad, Paper Mario, Takamaru and a Fire Emblem symbol to increase your accuracy, but that's just me.

I could get behind your roster and your choices, though. I mean at least your pool of choices, since there are all veterans and 28 potential newcomers.

I also made a prediction :

Fourteen newcomers.
Two cuts, Cloud and Corrin.
I have no idea who the Zelda, FE or Pokémon characters could be, but I honestly believe those series will get a new character.
IC symbole represents a retro character, but since I don't expect Balloon Fighter (who was my first choice), someone will get his spot.
I don't think I took many risks there, except with Capitain Toad, Bandana Dee and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
>When you read past pages and see people saying that Roy is only popular by the smash fan when he won the CYL poll alongside Ike in FEH in an international vote, over Hector, Ephraim, Chrom, Marth (even without the vote split) and forget that his game was pretty much loved in Japan as he's the representation of the First Fire Emblem Renaissance in Japan before Awakening on GBA

It's kind of a curious question because Roy was a very unique situation. He was included in a high profile game before his actual game came out. So now we're kind of dealing with a Chicken or Egg situation. Does Roy's popularity come from his own merits or is it because he was already well known because of Smash made him famous before his game even came out? It's a question that doesn't have a very good answer because we're talking about hypothetical situations that cannot be conclusively determined.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

I'm glad the community agrees with me that Lyn is best girl. She should be a new rep :)

:kirby:

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
If Japan really did like Roy's game that much, than why weren't any of the characters from his game, besides him, in the top 40's?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm glad the community agrees with me that Lyn is best girl. She should be a new rep :)

Lyn is another unique situation because she has regional significance that isn't entirely universal. Lyn was pretty much Marth in regards to Fire Emblem in the West as the first lord to be featured in the first game that saw international release. She was basically the 'original lord' to many in the west. This can be easily seen as Eastern developers are often surprised by Lyn's popularity such as in interviews for Fire Emblem Warriors have shown. It kind of shows of big of deal timing can make on the impact of a Character. Originally Roy's game was the one slated for International release. It makes you wonder if those original plans had gone through, would Lyn's presence be as big as it is now?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's kind of a curious question because Roy was a very unique situation. He was included in a high profile game before his actual game came out. So now we're kind of dealing with a Chicken or Egg situation. Does Roy's popularity come from his own merits or is it because he was already well known because of Smash made him famous before his game even came out? It's a question that doesn't have a very good answer because we're talking about hypothetical situations that cannot be conclusively determined.
Of course, it is some kind of paradox, however, smashboard seems to only to remember his "smash bros" part of merit, but not the one of his own game, only remembering the "bad unit" meme and the minor vocal Western fan base who need their ROXXOR Lord that OS everything-
And directly remove all of his FE merit, Binding blade sold quite a lot of a Japan only game- And starting from it, we got a FE game every years- (Thanks to Advance Wars and Smash Bros Marth/Roy popularity too)

If Japan really did like Roy's game that much, than why weren't any of the characters from his game, besides him, in the top 40's?
For a Japan only game, where the public evolved mostly on a Waifu/Husbando Simulator, Just Having Roy Second is an exploit- That you can't only put in the hand of Smash fans-

She should, but I feel like the CYL poll was a bit too late for Sakurai to even note that, as IS themselves where surprised by Lyn's popularity. But, a man can only wish-

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Marx over Bandana Dee.....

That, honestly, just feels disrespectful to the Kirby series
What? How?

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, one is a recurring villain with a ton of personality and move potential, and the other is a sidekick with a spear... I understand personal preference, but I’m not sure how preferring the former is in any way disprespectful.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because Japan is a small percentage of the actual demographic that voted in the poll?
He's the only character from a japan-only game to get in the top 40, and one of a handful that's from a game before Awakening.
He's popular internationally almost entirely because of Smash, but in Japan he's still one of the fan favorites.
The two facts aren't mutually exclusive.

What? How?

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, one is a recurring villain with a ton of personality and move potential, and the other is a sidekick with a spear... I understand personal preference, but I’m not sure how preferring the former is in any way disprespectful.
Marx isn't a recurring villain, though.
He was a villain in one game (and it's remake), and in one mini-game in Mass Attack. Beyond that, he's showed up in the 100% cutscene for Triple Deluxe and is one of the post-launch Dream Friends for Star Allies.
Bandana Dee's been a staple character and a major one in every title since Super Star Ultra (basically his debut) except for the "3ds side games that got more fleshed out and put as an eshop $20 project."
Even as a Dream Friend, he's put right in the first batch alongside Dedede and Meta Knight.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Of course, it is some kind of paradox, however, smashboard seems to only to remember his "smash bros" part of merit, but not the one of his own game, only remembering the "bad unit" meme and the minor vocal Western fan base who need their ROXXOR Lord that OS everything-
And directly remove all of his FE merit, Binding blade sold quite a lot of a Japan only game- And starting from it, we got a FE game every years- (Thanks to Advance Wars and Smash Bros Marth/Roy popularity too)
Admittedly, I've never played Binding Blade and have only heard rumors of the issues it had and the difficulty level. I've always been given the idea that the game was a bit of a mixed bag. Of course that may be hearsay.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because Japan is a small percentage of the actual demographic that voted in the poll?
He's the only character from a japan-only game to get in the top 40, and one of a handful that's from a game before Awakening.
He's popular internationally almost entirely because of Smash, but in Japan he's still one of the fan favorites.
The two facts aren't mutually exclusive.
Give this person a cookie and a medal-
The two fact aren't incompatible with each other

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not everyone that believes he would not function entirely well is necessarily opposed to the character themselves. Further to the point, plenty of them that DO believe he could work still believe Sakurai is the biggest roadblock which is objectively true and he has stated, basically, that it was not going to happen. I do not trust him as far as I can throw him, which is actually pretty far given how small he is, the point remains that unless they directly state that they dislike the character, there is no reason to assume otherwise and call their character into question. It is unbecoming of Ridley supporters and only really serves to create another reason for people to genuinely oppose the character past Sakurai's own fallacies.
I just don't like it when people feel obligated to hide their feelings about a character because they're too polite or too afraid to admit that they really don't like said character. Perhaps I am assuming waaaay too much here, but based on the comments I've seen him make about Ridley before, I inferred that Shiny is indifferent to the character himself as opposed to just doubting his chances or not wanting Ridley to be misrepresented in Smash. And that's perfectly fine if he is. There isn't anything wrong with that.

If Shiny or any other person dislikes Ridley, Mipha, Bandana Dee, or any of the other characters I support, I'd much rather see them show their disapproval of the character than to spare my feelings and hide how they truly feel. Besides, it's not really a huge deal to me, and I actually like seeing different opinions.:)

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Three characters come walking, with the Smash Bros symbol behind them.
What would be your reaction?
And what would be the reaction of the internet?

Morbi

Scavenger
What? How?

Reoccurring as of, what, three days from now?

I just don't like it when people feel obligated to hide their feelings about a character because they're too polite or too afraid to admit that they really don't like said character. Perhaps I am assuming waaaay too much here, but based on the comments I've seen him make about Ridley before, I inferred that Shiny is indifferent to the character himself as opposed to just doubting his chances or not wanting Ridley to be misrepresented in Smash. And that's perfectly fine if he is. There isn't anything wrong with that.

If Shiny or any other person dislikes Ridley, Mipha, Bandana Dee, or any of the other characters I support, I'd much rather see them show their disapproval of the character than to spare my feelings and hide how they truly feel. Besides, it's not really a huge deal to me, and I actually like seeing different opinions.:)
I have to admit, and I rarely if ever hide my feelings regarding characters, but given how rabid the fan-base was, I would be hesitant to admit I did not like Ridley if I felt that way. Just to avoid conflict.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

The problem is people get overly attached to their particular choices and have a bad tendency to circle the wagons when even slightly criticism is brought up. Way too many people have a habit of attaching their identity to their choices when it comes to this speculation. As such it makes the conversation of 'I don't like' harder to do without it resorting to mods getting involved to dose the flames. Those familiar with the Ridley speculation from Smash 4 probably recalls that well lol.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He was a villain in one game (and it's remake), and in one mini-game in Mass Attack. Beyond that, he's showed up in the 100% cutscene for Triple Deluxe and is one of the post-launch Dream Friends for Star Allies.
Bandana Dee's been a staple character and a major one in every title since Super Star Ultra (basically his debut) except for the "3ds side games that got more fleshed out and put as an eshop $20 project."
Even as a Dream Friend, he's put right in the first batch alongside Dedede and Meta Knight.
Bandana Dee was also acknowledged as a long time fan favourite in that direct, showing how much of a Breakout Character he really has become within the Kirby franchise.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The problem is people get overly attached to their particular choices and have a bad tendency to circle the wagons when even slightly criticism is brought up. Way too many people have a habit of attaching their identity to their choices when it comes to this speculation. As such it makes the conversation of 'I don't like' harder to do without it resorting to mods getting involved to dose the flames. Those familiar with the Ridley speculation from Smash 4 probably recalls that well lol.
And that irritates me to no end. Instead of, "I see where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree," we always get, "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT ABOUT (insert character)?! WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU!?"

Sometimes people forget that this is just a video game.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The hallmarks of Smash 4 speculation was the Ridley shadow in the Direct, Ice Climbers-related photo got deleted within a few mins on Pic of the Day (people jokingly saying ICs were cut...oops), and Shulk is just Little Mac.

Kind of a shame we may not get this level of speculation for this one unless the daily posts come back after E3.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Too many piranhas circling the waters, taking things personally and seeing everything through a lens of “respect”, for that kind of candor, unfortunately.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Reoccurring as of, what, three days from now?
I guess I mean more “he’s recurring AND a villain”, not so much that he’s been the main villain many times.

I don’t know, he’s appeared in multiple games (including recent ones), and he’s just got lots of personality, a backstory, and tons of moveset potential. I don’t see any of those things in Waddle Dee. Support who you like, by all means, but claiming that liking the more interesting character is “disrespectful” just because Bandana has been in the player 4 slot for a while seems a bit silly to me, that’s all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee was also acknowledged as a long time fan favourite in that direct, showing how much of a Breakout Character he really has become within the Kirby franchise.
Bandanna Dee's roles in the series.
Super Star Ultra: Sidekick to Dedede in The King's Revenge and replaced the golden Waddle Dee in The Arena.
Mass Attack: In the background of one of the mini-game's stages, alongside the Sailor Dee.
Return to Dreamland: 4th Playable Character, given effectively the moveset of the new Spear ability.
Triple Deluxe & Planet Robobot: Helper who gives you health items before midbosses and bosses. In Robobot's sticker series for the collection, he's always grouped with the big three for any "series" like the Logos, Medals, Comic Book/Manga/Doodle arts.
Rainbow Curse: THE main helper for co-op, and kinda duotagonist for the game. 3nd and 4th player just become different colored Dees
Clash Deluxe: The only one of the 4 "expanded side game" titles in which he appears; as the main tutorial guide and the operator of the freemium currency supply.
Battle Royale: For the first time using a Parasol, is not playable but acts as a duotagonist with Kirby to stop King Dedede.
Star Allies: One of the three Dream Friends at the game's launch, alongside King Dedede and Meta Knight.

Lil Guy's become THE 4th Kirby Character, in series.

Edit: Bar Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, Fighters Deluxe and Kirby Blowout Blast, the other 3 eshop-exclusive expanded subgames from TD and PR, Bandanna Waddle Dee has been in every Kirby title SINCE Super Star Ultra made him an actual character, even if his design originates in Megaton Punch in the SNES version of the game.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess I mean more “he’s recurring AND a villain”, not so much that he’s been the main villain many times.

I don’t know, he’s appeared in multiple games (including recent ones), and he’s just got lots of personality, a backstory, and tons of moveset potential. I don’t see any of those things in Waddle Dee. Support who you like, by all means, but claiming that liking the more interesting character is “disrespectful” just because Bandana has been in the player 4 slot for a while seems a bit silly to me, that’s all.
I never claimed that it was disrespectful. And, beyond that, I do not support Waddle Dee necessarily. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I prefer Marx. But, like, seriously?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
switch specualtion roster.png

Roster Maker 10.0 :love:

Anyways, here's my roster prediction for the upcoming game, and I'll discuss my thoughts below.
Note that this roster is PRE-DLC. There is one specific omission that comes to mind for me, and it is brought up at the bottom of my explanations.
Captain Toad: Honestly, I'm not sure how he'll work. He can't jump. But he's finally given a distinct identity to a long-desired character, so I feel Sakurai will find a way to make him work.

Ashley: My personal preference to a Wario newcomer, and a highly requested one at that. I think she could bring several unique ideas as a moveset and would be a healthy addition to the roster.

Mipha: Zelda is due for a newcomer, and Mipha is my personal choice. Breath of the Wild is an insanely popular game, and the champions are all well designed characters with plenty of reasons to be playable characters. That being said, I think Mipha is the best candidate out of the champions. She brings that spear moveset people have always wanted (though they typically wanted it for a new Fire Emblem character) and she is a long-standing and important race in the Legend of Zelda franchise.

Dixie: Dixie has seen a resurgence in the latest Donkey Kong titles, on top of being a main character in 2 of the original 3 Donkey Kong Country games. She has certainly built a strong resume.

K. Rool: MOAR VILLAINS! K. Rool is an obvious choice as part of both the Donkey Kong franchise, and as an option to add some extra villains to the roster. While the games he was present in are old, he's still the most prominent DK villain around.

Marx: Marx is really just my personal preference for a Kirby newcomer. He's a real villain who could bring unique ideas to the roster using his ball, which can have different Kirby elements added to it, as well as utilize several of his other moves as a boss. I think Bandana Dee is probably more likely, but I prefer Marx and think he at least has some chance, so he's on there instead.

Sylux: Basically I just find him more likely than Ridley based on Sakurai's comments towards Ridley. I would PREFER Ridley, but I think Sylux is more realistic until we actually see playable Ridley. Also it has been hinted at several times that Sylux is going to be a big deal soon.

Decidueye: I see Decidueye as the most likely Pokemon from gen 7 based on design and moveset options, but I think that space could be open to other options. Mimikyu or an Ultra Beast come to mind as alternative options to fill that hole. I do firmly believe we will be getting a playable gen 7 Pokemon, though.

Lyn: Lyn is a very clearly popular Fire Emblem character, even before Fire Emblem Heroes came out. She won the pre-release Choose Your Legends ballot by a convincing margin, and she's been an AT in the past 2 Smash games. There hasn't been a 100% new Fire Emblem main series game released recently, and we still know nothing about Fire Emblem Switch. I think her only competition as a Fire Emblem character would be Celica.

Takamaru: I see Takamaru as a realistic classic addition, especially knowing he was on the table for Smash 4, which the roster had been completely set before his game was localized outside of Japan. I think he gets his chance in Smash Switch.

Isabelle: Animal Crossing is an extremely popular game, even to people who don't really game otherwise. Isabelle has arguably become the face of the franchise, considering the actual "face" is an avatar character. She helps the player extensively in the most recent Animal Crossing titles, and has a lot of personality to help develop an interesting character. I do believe she'd be a semi-clone of Villager, sort of a Wolf-tier clone.

Chibi Robo: Let's face it, Chibi Robo as a franchise is in a rough spot right now. The first game was incredible, the second game was pretty good... Then the most recent two happened. However, Chibi Robo is such an interesting character! There's so many different things he's capable of, and if his franchise was able to stay the large-scale adventure style game the first one was, I have no doubt it'd still be great. I think, given a proper chance at gaining some popularity, Chibi Robo could take off. Smash has proven itself as an effective form of advertisement, and even though I wish it wasn't used this way, I think Chibi Robo is a good option to fit there. And also, I think Chibi Robo could turn into another one of those Captain Falcon characters who continues to exist only in Smash. It'd be a shame to not ever get a new Chibi Robo adventure game, but if he can live on in Smash, then so be it.

Rex & Pyra: I don't think they really need a ton of explanation. Popular game, growing franchise, can be distinct from any other character on the roster pretty easily.

No new third parties: I know many of you want new Third Party characters, but there just aren't any that stick out to me. None that really sit on the same tier of Pac Man, Ryu, Mega Man, and Sonic. Bayo is sort of a different case from them, as she's basically a Nintendo character anymore... I'm sure we will get a new third party or two, but I'm not going to be able to predict them.

ARMS: I don't think ARMS gets a character before DLC. I think ARMS might have come along too late. Don't reply to this, don't flame me about it, I'm going to ignore any post that tries to argue about ARMS with me. I've had that discussion enough, and I know where I stand on it. Save your ARMS soap box for another day.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The saddest part is that it would have made relatively more sense to say that Shulk is just a photoshopped Marth.
The reason it was Little Mac is that people found a picture of him that fit the angle well, if you overlapped them then it looked close, and so the people who were in denial just jumped on the train. I get being skeptical about leaks in this day and age, but it looks really stupid in hindsight.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
View attachment 139520

Anyways, here's my roster prediction for the upcoming game, and I'll discuss my thoughts below.
Note that this roster is PRE-DLC. There is one specific omission that comes to mind for me, and it is brought up at the bottom of my explanations.
Captain Toad: Honestly, I'm not sure how he'll work. He can't jump. But he's finally given a distinct identity to a long-desired character, so I feel Sakurai will find a way to make him work.

Ashley: My personal preference to a Wario newcomer, and a highly requested one at that. I think she could bring several unique ideas as a moveset and would be a healthy addition to the roster.

Mipha: Zelda is due for a newcomer, and Mipha is my personal choice. Breath of the Wild is an insanely popular game, and the champions are all well designed characters with plenty of reasons to be playable characters. That being said, I think Mipha is the best candidate out of the champions. She brings that spear moveset people have always wanted (though they typically wanted it for a new Fire Emblem character) and she is a long-standing and important race in the Legend of Zelda franchise.

Dixie: Dixie has seen a resurgence in the latest Donkey Kong titles, on top of being a main character in 2 of the original 3 Donkey Kong Country games. She has certainly built a strong resume.

K. Rool: MOAR VILLAINS! K. Rool is an obvious choice as part of both the Donkey Kong franchise, and as an option to add some extra villains to the roster. While the games he was present in are old, he's still the most prominent DK villain around.

Marx: Marx is really just my personal preference for a Kirby newcomer. He's a real villain who could bring unique ideas to the roster using his ball, which can have different Kirby elements added to it, as well as utilize several of his other moves as a boss. I think Bandana Dee is probably more likely, but I prefer Marx and think he at least has some chance, so he's on there instead.

Sylux: Basically I just find him more likely than Ridley based on Sakurai's comments towards Ridley. I would PREFER Ridley, but I think Sylux is more realistic until we actually see playable Ridley. Also it has been hinted at several times that Sylux is going to be a big deal soon.

Decidueye: I see Decidueye as the most likely Pokemon from gen 7 based on design and moveset options, but I think that space could be open to other options. Mimikyu or an Ultra Beast come to mind as alternative options to fill that hole. I do firmly believe we will be getting a playable gen 7 Pokemon, though.

Lyn: Lyn is a very clearly popular Fire Emblem character, even before Fire Emblem Heroes came out. She won the pre-release Choose Your Legends ballot by a convincing margin, and she's been an AT in the past 2 Smash games. There hasn't been a 100% new Fire Emblem main series game released recently, and we still know nothing about Fire Emblem Switch. I think her only competition as a Fire Emblem character would be Celica.

Takamaru: I see Takamaru as a realistic classic addition, especially knowing he was on the table for Smash 4, which the roster had been completely set before his game was localized outside of Japan. I think he gets his chance in Smash Switch.

Isabelle: Animal Crossing is an extremely popular game, even to people who don't really game otherwise. Isabelle has arguably become the face of the franchise, considering the actual "face" is an avatar character. She helps the player extensively in the most recent Animal Crossing titles, and has a lot of personality to help develop an interesting character. I do believe she'd be a semi-clone of Villager, sort of a Wolf-tier clone.

Chibi Robo: Let's face it, Chibi Robo as a franchise is in a rough spot right now. The first game was incredible, the second game was pretty good... Then the most recent two happened. However, Chibi Robo is such an interesting character! There's so many different things he's capable of, and if his franchise was able to stay the large-scale adventure style game the first one was, I have no doubt it'd still be great. I think, given a proper chance at gaining some popularity, Chibi Robo could take off. Smash has proven itself as an effective form of advertisement, and even though I wish it wasn't used this way, I think Chibi Robo is a good option to fit there. And also, I think Chibi Robo could turn into another one of those Captain Falcon characters who continues to exist only in Smash. It'd be a shame to not ever get a new Chibi Robo adventure game, but if he can live on in Smash, then so be it.

Rex & Pyra: I don't think they really need a ton of explanation. Popular game, growing franchise, can be distinct from any other character on the roster pretty easily.

No new third parties: I know many of you want new Third Party characters, but there just aren't any that stick out to me. None that really sit on the same tier of Pac Man, Ryu, Mega Man, and Sonic. Bayo is sort of a different case from them, as she's basically a Nintendo character anymore... I'm sure we will get a new third party or two, but I'm not going to be able to predict them.

ARMS: I don't think ARMS gets a character before DLC. I think ARMS might have come along too late. Don't reply to this, don't flame me about it, I'm going to ignore any post that tries to argue about ARMS with me. I've had that discussion enough, and I know where I stand on it. Save your ARMS soap box for another day.
While we are on Marx, if he did happen, and that seems to be a huge "if" as far as I am concerned, it would definitely be for DLC. Just like in his own series. Zing.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I never claimed that it was disrespectful. And, beyond that, I do not support Waddle Dee necessarily. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I prefer Marx. But, like, seriously?
I was referring to the original post I commented on that called wanting Marx instead “disrespectful”, not anything you said.

What’s the “seriously” for?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While we are on Marx, if he did happen, and that seems to be a huge "if" as far as I am concerned, it would definitely be for DLC. Just like in his own series. Zing.
Did you even take the time to read the spoiler? Clearly not.

There ya go. Calm yourself before you try to call someone out. Zing.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The reason it was Little Mac is that people found a picture of him that fit the angle well, if you overlapped them then it looked close, and so the people who were in denial just jumped on the train. I get being skeptical about leaks in this day and age, but it looks really stupid in hindsight.
To be fair, it was understandable. At that point new leaks were coming out more rapidly then people could debunk. If it hadn't be for the ESRB video leak, I wouldn't have believed it back then either.

These days though I'm even more suspicious. The art of fake leaks have gotten to the point where they are sometime impossible to tell from original sources lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My thought is that while anything is possible, Gardevoir is not.
So Gardevoir isn't anything? :sadeyes:

In all seriousness, Gardevoir is my personal pick that I don't have high hopes of getting in but I still hold on to.

I believe you have 80% who will get in Smash. I would probably add Capitain Toad, Paper Mario, Takamaru and a Fire Emblem symbol to increase your accuracy, but that's just me.

I could get behind your roster and your choices, though. I mean at least your pool of choices, since there are all veterans and 28 potential newcomers.
That'd make Odyssey Mario, Pauline, Daisy, Waluigi, Geno, Captain Toad and P. Mario
Wow, the Mario series has a lot of potential characters don't it?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m honestly kind of surprised I didn’t hear much on my roster. I thought for sure there would be salt/ “why isn’t X on the roster?”.

Maybe i’m just Sakurai incarnate! :troll:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 139520

Love your list of newcomers (especially Mipha and Sylux).

However, there are two things that I don't quite agree with. The first is that I can't get behind Marx when we could get Bandana Dee. Between the two, Dee is way more important to the series overall. The second is that you cut Dr. Mario (the most unique of the three full clones) and kept Lucina and Dark Pit. If you aren't going to cut all three, then it should be the other way around IMO.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is probably more realistic than my last roster: https://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-switch-discussion.434391/page-548. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any Mario or Fire Emblem newcomers.
SuperSmashBrosRoster.png

Mario (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64)
Luigi (Debut: 1983)
  • Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Japan Only)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
Princess Peach (Debut: 1985)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
  • Super Princess Peach (DS)
Bowser (Debut: 1985)
  • Mario Party 2 (N64)
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS)
Bowser Jr. (Debut: 2002)
  • Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
  • Mario Power Tennis (GCN)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
The Koopalings (Debut: 1988)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Rosalina & Luma (Debut: 2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
  • Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Captain Toad (Debut: 2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NS)
Toadette (Debut: 2003)
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)
  • Mario Party 6 (GCN)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NS)
Dr. Mario (Debut: 1990)
  • Dr. Mario (NES)
  • Dr. Mario 64 (North America Only)
  • Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (3DS)
Paper Mario (Debut: 2000)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
Donkey Kong (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Diddy Kong (Debut: 1994)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Dixie Kong (Debut: 1995)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NS)
Yoshi (Debut: 1990)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
  • Yoshi's Story (N64)
Wario (Debut: 1992)
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
  • Wario Land 3 (GBC)
  • WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Link (Debut: 1986)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (NS)
Princess Zelda (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (NS)
Sheik (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (NS)
Ganondorf (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Toon Link (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Samus Aran (Debut: 1986)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NS)
Zero Suit Samus (Debut: 2004)
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
  • Metroid: Other M (Wii)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Captain Falcon (Debut: 1990)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
Ninten (Debut: 1989)
  • EarthBound Beginnings (Japan Only)
  • ---
  • ---
Ness (Debut: 1994)
  • EarthBound (SNES)
  • Super Smash Bros. (N64)
  • ---
Lucas (Debut: 2006)
  • Mother 3 (Japan Only)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
  • ---
Kirby (Debut: 1992)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES)
  • Kirby Star Allies (NS)
King Dedede (Debut 1992)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Meta Knight (Debut: 1993)
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS)
Fox McCloud (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Falco Lombardi (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Command (DS)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Wolf O'Donnell (Debut: 1997)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Assault (GCN)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Pikachu (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GB)
  • Hey You, Pikachu! (N64)
  • Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon (3DS)
Jigglypuff (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Red/Pokemon Blue (GB)
  • Pokemon X/Pokemon Y (3DS)
Charizard (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemeon Fire Red/Pokemon Leaf Green (GBA)
Lucario (Debut: 2006)
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl (DS)
  • Pokken Tournament DX (NS)
Greninja (Debut: 2013)
  • Pokemon Battle Trozei (3DS)
Poipole (Debut; 2017)
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS)
  • ---
  • --
Mewtwo (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Stadium (N64)
Pichu (Debut: 1999)
  • Pokemon Gold/Pokemon Silver (GBC)
  • Pokemon Channel (GCN)
  • Pokemon Heart Gold/Pokemon Soul Silver (DS)
Pit (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Palutena (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
Dark Pit (Debut: 2012)
  • ---
  • ---
Marth (Debut: 1990)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
Leif (Debut: 1996)
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of The Holy War (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Japan Only)
  • ---
Roy (Debut: 2001)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (Japan Only)
  • ---
Ike (Debut: 2005)
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
  • ---
Robin (Debut: 2012)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (NS)
  • ---
Corrin (Debut: 2015)
  • Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
  • ---
Lucina (Debut: 2012)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
  • Project X Zone 2 (3DS)
Olimar (Debut: 2001)
  • Pikmin (GCN)
  • Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  • Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
Alph (Debut: 2013)
  • Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
  • ---
  • ---
Villager (Debut: 2001)
  • Animal Forest (Japan Only)
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
Isabelle (Debut: 2012)
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)
  • Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U)
Little Mac (Debut: 1984)
  • Punch-Out!! (NES)
  • Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Rex (Debut: 2017)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
  • ---
  • ---
Shulk (Debut: 2010)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS)
  • ---
Inkling (Debut: 2015)
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Splatoon 2 (NS)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Rhythm Troupe (Debut: 2006)
  • Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
  • Rhythm Heaven (DS)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)
Balloon Fighter (Debut: 1984)
  • VS Balloon Fight
  • Balloon Fight (NES)
  • ---
Ice Climbers (Debut: 1985)
  • Ice Climber (NES)
  • ---
  • ---
Duck Hunt (Debut: 1984)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
  • ---
  • ---
Takamaru (Debut: 1986)
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Japan Only)
  • Captain Rainbow (Japan Only)
  • Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii)
Lip (Debut: 1995)
  • Panel De Pon (Japan Only)
  • Panel De Pon DS (Japan Only)
  • Captain Rainbow (Japan Only)
R.O.B. (Debut: 1985)
  • Gyromite (NES)
  • Stack-Up (NES)
  • Mario Kart DS (DS)
Mr. Game & Watch (Debut: 1980)
  • Ball (G&W)
  • Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Debut: 1991)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (GCN)
  • Sonic Mania (NS)
Mega Man (Debut: 1987)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 11 (NS)
Bomberman (Debut: 1983)
  • Bomberman (NES)
  • Bomberman Hero (N64)
  • Super Bomberman R (NS)
Pac-Man (Debut: 1980)
  • Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man World (GBA)
  • Pac-Man Champion Edition 2 (NS)
Ms. Pac-Man (Debut: 1981)
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pac-Land (NES)
  • Pac-Man World Rally (GCN)
Simon Belmont (Debut: 1986)
  • Castlevania (NES)
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
  • Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Ryu (Debut: 1987)
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (3DS)
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (NS)
Cloud Strife (Debut: 1997)
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • ---
Bayonetta (Debut: 2009)
  • Bayonetta (NS)
  • Bayonetta 2 (NS)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS)

Super Mario
  • New Donk City
  • Bowser Land
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Land 2
  • Mario Paint
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Paper Mario
  • Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong
  • Windmill Hills
  • Mini-Land
Yoshi
  • Yoshi's New Island
  • Yoshi 2018
  • Yoshi's Cookie
Wario
  • WarioWare Gold
  • Wario's Castle
The Legend of Zelda
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Outset Island
Metroid
  • SR388
Kid Icarus
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Reset Bomb Forest
Fire Emblem
  • Coliseum
F-Zero
  • Mute City
  • Big Blue
Kirby
  • Fine Feilds
  • Resolution Road
Star Fox
  • Corneria
  • Titania
EarthBound/Mother
  • Magicant
  • Saturn Valley
Pokemon
  • Kalos Region
  • Alola Region
Xenoblade
  • Azurda
  • Gaur Plains
Splatoon
  • Urchin Underpass
Wii Fit
  • Wii Fit Studio
Punch-Out!!
  • Boxing Ring
Rhythm Heaven
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Pikmin
  • Forest of Hope
  • Twilight River
Animal Crossing
  • Town & City
  • Tortimer Island
Puzzle League/Panel De Pon
  • Panel De Pon
Game & Watch
  • Flat Zone X
  • Game & Watch Gallery
Famicom
  • Summit
  • Icicle Mountain
  • Excitebike Stadium
  • Duck Hunt
  • Balloon Fight
  • Mario Bros.
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Pinball
  • Devil World
Sonic The Hedgehog
  • City Heights
  • Studiopolis
Mega Man
  • Wily Castle
Bomberman
  • Bomberman HQ
Pac-Man
  • Pac-Maze
  • Namco Museum
Castlevania
  • Dracula's Castle
Street Fighter
  • Suzaku Castle
Final Fantasy
  • Midgar
  • Gold Saucer
Bayonetta
  • Umbra Clock Tower
Other
  • Living Room
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Brain Age
  • VR32
  • Nintendo Wars
  • Pushmo
  • Pilotwings
  • Wuhu Island
  • Snipperclips
  • HarmoKnight
  • SimCity
  • Tetris

• Boom Boom
  • Wingo
  • Viruses
  • Count Bleck
  • Cranky Kong
  • Rambi
  • Pauline
  • Kamek
  • Poochy + Poochy Pups
  • Impa
  • Ridley
  • Eggplant Wizard
  • Reaper
  • Camilla
  • Susie
  • Adeleine
  • Francisca
  • Giygas
  • Prof. Oak
  • Nia
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Puffy Blowhog
  • Great Tiger
  • Metal Sonic
  • Zero
  • Magnet Bomber
  • Dracula
  • Chun-Li
  • Tifa Lockhart
  • Jeanne

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I was referring to the original post I commented on that called wanting Marx instead “disrespectful”, not anything you said.

What’s the “seriously” for?
The notion of Marx over Waddle Dee. Just to put it into perspective, it would be the same as putting, um, Fawful over Toad. I understand that Fawful is way cooler than a Toad. And I understand that Toad is only really relevant because they use him as a player 4 which is not the highest honor; however, you have to recognize that there are millions of casuals that have no idea who Marx/Fawful are and yet, they love Toad and Waddle Dee.

So, to me, suggesting that Marx has a chance over Waddle Dee is just, well, absurd. I somewhat doubt Waddle Dee myself, but if we get a Kirby character, it could literally only be him as far as I am concerned; however, we live in a world were people genuinely believe Doom Guy is one of the more likely third-party characters. It just seems crazy.

But hey, who am I to talk? I think Goku is going to be in the game.
Did you even take the time to read the spoiler? Clearly not.

There ya go. Calm yourself before you try to call someone out. Zing.
I did read it actually, thanks for the random accusation. Yummy. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, nice try I guess (I am just being polite, it was not nice). Just in case it went over your head, the zing was for Marx, not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom