• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Love your list of newcomers (especially Mipha and Sylux).

However, there are two things that I don't quite agree with. The first is that I can't get behind Marx when we could get Bandana Dee. Between the two, Dee is way more important to the series overall. The second is that you cut Dr. Mario (the most unique of the three full clones) and kept Lucina and Dark Pit. If you aren't going to cut all three, then it should be the other way around IMO.
Doc was an accidental omission, actually lol. Lucina and Dark Pit I see getting a decently large rework. Perhaps that should be in my explanation. And if you read my explanation, as I just pointed out to Morbi, I said Bandana Dee is more likely and I just happen to prefer Marx. Y'all gotta stop just looking at the picture.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The reason it was Little Mac is that people found a picture of him that fit the angle well, if you overlapped them then it looked close, and so the people who were in denial just jumped on the train. I get being skeptical about leaks in this day and age, but it looks really stupid in hindsight.
But Marth has a more similar face to Shulk than Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

I personally want Waddle Dee in more over Marx, but Marx is a unique interesting character I'm sure he'd be represented someway.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
Even though Roy's game never came out to West and sold well in Japan. I really doubt his popularity from his game only would be able to make him 2nd place when competing with Chrom and Hector. I really do think Smash played huge roll for him.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Even though Roy's game never came out to West and sold well in Japan. I really doubt his popularity from his game only would be able to make him 2nd place when competing with Chrom and Hector. I really do think Smash played huge roll for him.
What you said would have been 100% true if Marth wouldn't get such low Vote when he's more popular than Roy in the smash scene by being the "Competitive" one. AND having His game out of Japan

Again, the fact that he's very popular in Japan AND Among Smash fans isn't incompatible.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
What? How?

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, one is a recurring villain with a ton of personality and move potential, and the other is a sidekick with a spear... I understand personal preference, but I’m not sure how preferring the former is in any way disprespectful.
Recurring villian? He only appeared "once" (Depending on how you look at superstar and Ultra) as a villian. While he did make small cameos and mentions in other games, he just now got another major appearence in star allies which may or may not be too late of an appearance for that to be a consideration for smash switch.

If you wanted to pick a recurring villian, Dark Matter and Magolor would be better choices probably. Dark Matter because he actually appears in multiple games, and Magolor because while he isn't a villian anymore, has at least had a couple major roles even after Return to Dreamland.

Morbi

Scavenger
I personally want Waddle Dee in more over Marx, but Marx is a unique interesting character I'm sure he'd be represented someway.
Probably an assist trophy. That is where all of the interesting characters that are not quite playable material go in hopes to one day achieve what Little Mac has.

Yeah, no ****. People are definitely downplaying it.
What you said would have been 100% true if Marth wouldn't get such low Vote when he's more popular than Roy in the smash scene by being the "Competitive" one.

Again, the fact that he's very popular in Japan AND Among Smash fans isn't incompatible.
Competitive is irrelevant. That is an extremely minuscule percentage. We are talking about all the kids who wanted to play the cool guy with the fire sword over Martha Stewart.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What you said would have been 100% true if Marth wouldn't get such low Vote when he's more popular than Roy in the smash scene by being the "Competitive" one.

But Roy is the Smash scene's Boi. He has Boi factor in play here.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
The notion of Marx over Waddle Dee. Just to put it into perspective, it would be the same as putting, um, Fawful over Toad. I understand that Fawful is way cooler than a Toad. And I understand that Toad is only really relevant because they use him as a player 4 which is not the highest honor; however, you have to recognize that there are millions of casuals that have no idea who Marx/Fawful are and yet, they love Toad and Waddle Dee.

So, to me, suggesting that Marx has a chance over Waddle Dee is just, well, absurd. I somewhat doubt Waddle Dee myself, but if we get a Kirby character, it could literally only be him as far as I am concerned; however, we live in a world were people genuinely believe Doom Guy is one of the more likely third-party characters. It just seems crazy.
1) While your Toad/Fawful analogy is somewhat apt, keep in mind that Bowser Jr. got in, despite being a secondary villain in a series where some of the mainstay characters/playable aren't yet (including Toad).

2) I'm under no dilusions that he's a shoe-in, or even likely. But at this point in the game, we have so little concrete Smash news to talk about, I figure we may as well speculate on some dream characters. It's not like I'm going to be devistated or not play Smash 5 if and when my wishlist goes unfulfilled.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Did you count all the unique alts as well for your roster rivals? >.>

Anyway, as much as I'd like Isaac, there's still whether having him in via the ballot would work well. Making a comprehensive moveset looks easy on the outside, but when you really get into it, you need to carefully put it together to represent the character(or franchise, as the Mother characters show) well, and if you're including some kind of gimmick(considering the class system in Golden Sun, which is a huge part of the gameplay, a lot could be done. So it's complicated in how to really make it work well. There's all kinds of ways, of course. Like alternate costumes with identical moves with different models, but that sounds like a lot of work. A stance system to change up a few moves, but a similar issue. And so on).
No I only count the original characters. Alts arent not taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Competitive is irrelevant. That is an extremely minuscule percentage. We are talking about all the kids who wanted to play the cool guy with the fire sword over Martha Stewart.
I'm glad you understood my sarcasm, I was just doing what Smashboard does. Only take a little part of the truth, bend it, and use it as a truth while dissmissing the rest.

Same for Roy, his FE popularity, and the Smash community. It's a whole, just not a single part.

But Roy is the Smash scene's Boi. He has Boi factor in play here.
True and TH3 PHIR3

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
1) While your Toad/Fawful analogy is somewhat apt, keep in mind that Bowser Jr. got in, despite being a secondary villain in a series where some of the mainstay characters/playable aren't yet (including Toad).

2) I'm under no dilusions that he's a shoe-in, or even likely. But at this point in the game, we have so little concrete Smash news to talk about, I figure we may as well speculate on some dream characters. It's not like I'm going to be devistated or not play Smash 5 if and when my wishlist goes unfulfilled.
There is no problem discussing it. Everything is a possibility and ignoring it would be foolish. I just feel as though the Smash community, as a whole, seems to have this "playable" or "bust" mentality. Marx has, essentially, become relevant to Kirby again and that might definitely play a part into Smash. I am just stating my opinion that there is no way in hell he is going to be playable.

I'm glad you understood my sarcasm, I was just doing what Smashboard does. Only take a little part of the truth, bend it, and use it as a truth while dissmissing the rest.

Same for Roy, his FE popularity, and the Smash community

True and TH3 PHIR3
Uh huh... Okay. You definitely seem to have a personal stake in this discussion for whatever reason. If you want to deny reality, that is fine. The fact of the matter is Smash put him on a pedestal and despite Marth being more important, that does not translate to what people genuinely enjoy.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So, does everyone take into account the competitive scene is a small fraction of the Smash fanbase? I see it get used in arguments and testimonies for characters a lot.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh huh... Okay. You definitely seem to have a personal stake in this discussion for whatever reason. If you want to deny reality, that is fine. The fact of the matter is Smash put him on a pedestal and despite Marth being more important, that does not translate to what people genuinely enjoy.
Actually, I have no personal stake in this discussion my man- Sorry if it looked like it- What I mean is that sure he's very popular in Smash- But also very popular amongst the Fire Emblem Fanbase-
People are fine to not like him at all, I'm fine with it since tbh, I find him bland in his own game- However denying the reality and only taking a part of it, is what happens a bit too much here with characters discussion, like the Bandana Dee, Ridley and such-

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

I feel this is a fairly spot on roster.

Toad or Waluigi will get in, but given Toads recent games and him being playable in many main Mario titles, I feel it will be him.
K Rool or Dixie, but K Rool is more demanded currently and seems like the choice to please the base more.
Ridley or Sylux. I think its finally Ridleys time to get in, and normally I'd weigh more on someone like Sylux but given the rumors of Ridley lately I feel theres something to it since the leakers have been credible and spot on before.
New FE Lord
New Pokemon from Gen 8
Wolf and Icies return.
Rex and Spring man. Probably the most likely addition out of anyone on this list.
Possibly a Labo rep. If not, I'd say replace him with a heavily demanded character like Isaac.
Chibi Robo has the moveset and game backlog to finally become a main playable character.
I'd say 2 retro/WTF reps since each game since melee has had them. Excite Biker seems like a good choice, but he can be changed out with Takamaru, Balloon Fighter or Mach Rider.

The strongest 3rd party contenders appear to be Crash, Rayman and Bomberman, so I hope they get in.

Also possible is Bandana Dee and a new Zelda rep like Impa, but for now I'm leaning more on not happening but if they do I won't be surprised at all.

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually, I have no personal stake in this discussion my man- Sorry if it looked like it- What I mean is that sure he's very popular in Smash- But also very popular amongst the Fire Emblem Fanbase-
People are fine to not like him at all, I'm fine with it since tbh, I find him bland in his own game- However denying the reality and only taking a part of it, is what happens a bit too much here with characters discussion, like the Bandana Dee, Ridley and such-
I am sure there are plenty of factors that contribute to his popularity. Smash just happens to be the largest by a significant margin. I would go as far as to say he is popular in Fire Emblem because of Smash. Most Fire Emblem fans are just Smash fans re-skinned as is, given it was the introduction to the series. Obviously there is no way to discern the exact discrepancy, but it is fair to say that it is fairly negligible and really not worth going out of your way to mention without being overly pedantic.

IronTed

Smash Ace

Yellow blocks are Newcomers, Yellow Random blocks are newcomers yet to be determined or could be anyone from the series.

Explanations

Captain Syrup: Wario Land Rep that all the Wario Land stuff Wario is willing to hold himself can be piled onto her.

Ashely: Self explanatory I think

Paper Mario:
Self explanatory I think

Impa over Sheik: They can be costumes of one another but I really think Impa based on her near perfect attendance as Zelda's aid makes more sense.

Ridley: Self explanatory I think

Wolf: I think he's more different than Falco personally but yeah

Bandana Dee: Just finished Star Allies so he's self-explanatory I think

Marx: He is in Star Allies and the only real villain so far I think to be in multiple games now and is a playable boss which is new.

DK guys: They're all self-explanatory

Plasma Wraith [needs a video]

Rex and Pyra: Well ya'know

FE: Okay I'm no expert but here's what I see, FE has new games and more coming possibly after smash release those two random slots are for those guys. I can't see Lucina as anything but a costume personally.

King Hippo: The most recognizable Punch Out character other than Little Mac

Deahtborn: [Have a read] Also he'll be taking Gana's old set

Porky: There's a lot you can do with him he doesn't have to be a giant spider and the other two Mother characters are amalgamates so yeah.

Pokemon: Gen 8 guy needs a slot. Lucario could come back but I don't know.

KI: Overhaul Dark Pit and everyone else is pretty self-explanatory

ARMS:

[Springman] is the main character and has an ability very similar to how Lucario works in Smash right now along with a parry-like bounce

[Ribbon Girl] Has aerial mobility and different equipment

[Dr. Coyle] Villainess (kind of ) of ARMS is the reason for like most of the cast existing and created Healock and robotic head that can possess the wearer (Except her) and give them four extra arms.

Everyone else shouldn't be too hard to understand

Now is Doomguy a real pick?

Well he's kind of a nostalgia character and the granddaddy of FPS games so I think he's important.

This is my first roster ever so yeah tell me what ya think.
I never thought of plasm wraith before, but now I really want it. Overall though, I think you have a solid first roster.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I also personally suggest adding Black Shadow and giving him Ganondorf's moveset, so we can finally have Ganondorf as a unique character with no worries.

Villains and anti-heroes are definitely what I want to see the most from the Smash Switch roster.
Okay, first thing. Can we all promise not to refer to Bowser Jr. as BJ?

Second, I think Ridley and K.Rool would be excellent additions to the roster and add to the number of villains. I also like the idea of turning current Ganondorf into Black Shadow and giving him an actual move set. This would give us yet another villain and solve the whole Ganon clone problem.
Where the hell does this come from?
You are literally asking to add Black Shadow, on the expense that Ganondorf could get the exact same THING Black Shadow is capeable off... I'd love Black Shadow, hell, I'd love anything more of F-Zero in general, but I really think it's silly how he is just "Add him and give him Ganondorf's current moveset, and give Ganondorf the exact same thing Black Shadow is capeable off, but because he is an F-Zero character it makes more sense" or something like that. I just don't get it? Can't Black Shadow be playable without being seen as a throw away rescue for Ganondorf?

Just asking because I'm curious, and I've heard this since pre-Smash 4. I just honestly feel, as a big fan of F-Zero, that Black Shadow deserves better. Also, if anything ever happens, Samurai Goroh would be my preferabe choice for a new F-Zero character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You are literally asking to add Black Shadow, on the expense that Ganondorf could get the exact same THING Black Shadow is capeable off... I'd love Black Shadow, hell, I'd love anything more of F-Zero in general, but I really think it's silly how he is just "Add him and give him Ganondorf's current moveset, and give Ganondorf the exact same thing Black Shadow is capeable off, but because he is an F-Zero character it makes more sense" or something like that. I just don't get it? Can't Black Shadow be playable without being seen as a throw away rescue for Ganondorf?

Just asking because I'm curious, and I've heard this since pre-Smash 4. I just honestly feel, as a big fran of F-Zero, that Black Shadow deserves better. Also, if anything ever happens, Samurai Goroh would be my preferabe choice for a new F-Zero character.
It comes from that fact that Ganondorf, a Legend of Zelda character, is a clone of Captain Falcon, an F-Zero character. Black Shadow has the same size and properties. Did you know Black Shadow is an F-Zero character? Did you also know that Ganondorf is among the most popular Nintendo characters and people wanted him to have his own move-set since Brawl? Black Shadow would also have no chance otherwise given that his series has been "dormant" which is the PC way of saying dead.

Hopefully that clears up where it came from. It is definitely a complicated and storied history. At first, I was pretty confused too. Just... Bam, straight out of left field. Crazy ideas from crazy fans, am I right or am I right?

Do not worry about it, fam. The concept is far too forward and logical for Sakurai to think about it. The sanctity of Black Shadow will forever remain within his dormant series.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Just asking because I'm curious, and I've heard this since pre-Smash 4. I just honestly feel, as a big fran of F-Zero, that Black Shadow deserves better. Also, if anything ever happens, Samurai Goroh would be my preferabe choice for a new F-Zero character.
This approach would make the most sense though. Ganondorf is a clone of Cpt Falcon, the only cross series clone we have. Ganondorf's moveset is also popular but does not represent Ganondorf whatsoever. Black Shadow has a similar build to Ganondorf and would be perfect to take his moveset. The only reason Ganondorf hasn't received a makeover is because fans would be upset that his play style is gone. By giving Black Shadow the moveset, we get him as a playable character (The only Smash 64 series to not receive a second rep) and Ganondorf can finally play in a way that represents his game series.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Did you know Black Shadow is an F-Zero character? Did you also know that Ganondorf is among the most popular Nintendo characters and people wanted him to have his own move-set since Brawl?
Lol, Morbi. I know that too well. Ganondorf deserves a change, but Black Shadow should not be the answer. Bloody hell, Captain Falcon's moveset is 100% original, as intended to have the same build as Dragon King (Smash 64 Prototype). Which means it does not represent F-Zero, so that's not a good argument. It would just be Captain Falcon is a Smash character, and Ganondorf is just a semi-Smash clone character, makes no bloody sense, right? Anywho, we will most likely never get Black Shadow, nor will Ganondorf change, and that's sad... F-Zero is dead (for now), and Sakurai is Sakurai...

This approach would make the most sense though. Ganondorf is a clone of Cpt Falcon, the only cross series clone we have. Ganondorf's moveset is also popular but does not represent Ganondorf whatsoever. Black Shadow has a similar build to Ganondorf and would be perfect to take his moveset. The only reason Ganondorf hasn't received a makeover is because fans would be upset that his play style is gone. By giving Black Shadow the moveset, we get him as a playable character (The only Smash 64 series to not receive a second rep) and Ganondorf can finally play in a way that represents his game series.
True it would make sense, but it's too late now. It would make little sense to change this 3 games inn. It would just feel so out of place if it suddenly happened now. Might just be me, but that's how I see it. That ship sailed with Brawl, and the death of F-Zero.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ok. I'mma actually post rosters, with that "75 character" kind of set up.

Consider this the "empty" or "skeleton" version.
I see Dark Pit and Lucina being those infamous expected cuts, Wolf and Icies returning (especially since the latter supposedly was working on the WiiU through a fair amount of development)
1 confirmed newcomer in Inklings,
2 3rd Party newcomers, Crash being one I'm feeling quite confident in at this point.
1 Token retro newcomer tied to hardware, honestly I'm just throwing Donbe & Hikari in there for the famicom's disk system because who ever guesses these things right?
Pokemon and Fire Emblem getting a newcomer at this point is just accepted.
K. Rool is just one of the biggest popularity choices that I feel the ballot would've swung well for.
Spring Man's the obvious ARMS choice, and Nintendo's pushing this series hard.
Labo Robot being what became of "Project Giant Robot" we saw years ago, is just kinda the figurehead for the left field product line that seems like a sakurai special, akin to Wii Fit Trainer.
Rex... Xenoblade's become a notable Nintendo series. The game's been in development since about X coming out. Sakurai's loved the title. I'm gonna just sit firmly on this camp.
Bandana Dee... he's notable, I'm just gonna leave it at that.
Alloy Teams represent those last minute clone additions, and that scope of 17 newcomers leaves 4 other characters for "new series" or expanding current ones.

This is how I fill it out.
Waluigi's... one of the Mario additions plausible left. Pauline I see is going to be tied into New Donk City as a Stage, Captain Toad's identity is rooted in not being able to jump and more fits an Assist Trophy to me, and Paper Mario's gimmicks every new title now leave him in an awkward position to make a fighter out of.
Dixie... I could see like a mixture of Lucas and Wolf. A clone that's started on early-ish on, and gets a mixture of moves from other characters.
Ganon's a personal bias pick let me have him.
Mimikyu's a less standard Pokemon choice, but I do not see Gen 8 coming in 2018 (nor TPC letting a Pokemon appear in Smash before their own game) and Mimikyu's a singular pokemon that seems to have caught attention on levels similar to the starters. The marketing for Gen 7 having Mimikyu's song, Mimikyu as a totem pokemon, Jessie's ace in the anime, one of a handful of Alola Mons to get a unique Z move outside of the starters or legendaries, it's unusual but not unlikely to me.
Isabelle, similar to Ribbon Girl and an extent Dixie, I see as the big clones.
Given the kind of backlash Corrin got, and how little we've seen of FE16 despite it supposedly coming out this year, I feel like the Switch Title's Lord isn't as likely as many people put them up to be. Lyn's an ultra popular character and might see a jump, but Anna's a series staple who's used so much outside of the normal swordplay for the series I give into my bias for her.
Isaac's a long shot off of ballot popularity but damn I was a little pressed to give another seat filler without going to people who hinge off 2019 titles like Sylux.
And Heihachi's my toss in for 3rd Party just because of Sakurai's comments on him and Tekken clashing against Street Fighter's always a popular idea.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lol, Morbi. I know that too well. Ganondorf deserves a change, but Black Shadow should not be the answer. Bloody hell, Captain Falcon's moveset is 100% original, as intended to have the same build as Dragon King (Smash 64 Prototype). Which means it does not represent F-Zero, so that's not a good argument. It would just be Captain Falcon is a Smash character, and Ganondorf is just a semi-Smash clone character, makes no bloody sense, right? Anywho, we will most likely never get Black Shadow, nor will Ganondorf change, and that's sad... F-Zero is dead (for now), and Sakurai is Sakurai...

True it would make sense, but it's too late now. It would make little sense to change this 3 games inn. It would just feel so out of place if it suddenly happened now. Might just be me, but that's how I see it. That ship sailed with Brawl, and the death of F-Zero.
I, personally, want it because I love both and believe both deserve a chance. Do not get me wrong, if Black Shadow came with his own unique move-set, I would be overjoyed. I prefer it, actually. But that is so far removed from reality that it makes the potential of him adopting Ganondorf's move-set seem likely and, well, as I stated above, that in and of itself is impossible with Sakurai in charge.

Okay, so Ganondorf is a Dragon King clone. Even worse, fam. Even worse.

It is never too late. It would totally make sense, the vast majority of people would prefer it, if that is not a reason to change it, I have no idea what is. But realistically, the ship has sailed, and not with Brawl either, the nail in the coffin was the moment he decided to include him as a clone in Melee.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I, personally, want it because I love both and believe both deserve a chance. Do not get me wrong, if Black Shadow came with his own unique move-set, I would be overjoyed. I prefer it, actually. But that is so far removed from reality that it makes the potential of him adopting Ganondorf's move-set seem likely and, well, as I stated above, that in and of itself is impossible with Sakurai in charge.

Okay, so Ganondorf is a Dragon King clone. Even worse, fam. Even worse.

It is never too late. It would totally make sense, the vast majority of people would prefer it, if that is not a reason to change it, I have no idea what is. But realistically, the ship has sailed, and not with Brawl either, the nail in the coffin was the moment he decided to include him as a clone in Melee.
I agree, and I would not mind it at all. I'm a big F-Zero fan, and anything F-Zero would be great. I remember pre-Brawl, Black Shadow was one of my most wanted characters, and that was even before I adapted Goroh as my favourite pilot.

I also thought that it was a fit for him to carry it, but, I feel somewhat it's sad... I feel, scrap Ganondorf completley as he stands, and build him up from the ground up, and make Black Shadow a clone of Ganondorf and Captain Falcon, to make him unique, with black magic, and the power melee attacks from Falcon.

Also; As Ganondorf would be a clone of Dragon King... Is not that an upgrade? From a Prince to a... King? :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm.. Would most people prefer Robin returned?

.. What if Morgan took their parents' place?
Morgan is basically Robin, but better. Maybe the smaller size will make them not the slowest character in the game? But yeah, overall, I want Robin to return, but I also want Chrom, so there is a bit of a conflict there. I would not mind if Lucina was decloned, and we got neither, but as we were just talking about, that is fairly unprecedented.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I want to know what you guys think about Resident Evil getting a character as a 3rd Party Rep? Likeliness? Who would it be?

Morbi

Scavenger
I want to know what you guys think about Resident Evil getting a character as a 3rd Party Rep? Likeliness? Who would it be?
I prefer Dante or Amaterasu if we get another Capcom character. And I believe it would be potentially more likely to see them over a Resident Evil character regardless. I have no idea what they even intend to do with the series after 7.

That being said, if it happened, I assume Leon would be the choice. He has more or less taken over as primary protagonist over Chris, at least in terms of desirability. But maybe Chris is more iconic and they would go with him instead? It really comes down to those two unless they want to pull a Marvel vs Capcom and just give us someone such as Nemesis. We could get Tyrant instead. But again, not sure why anyone involved would actually want any of this to happen.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Morgan is basically Robin, but better. Maybe the smaller size will make them not the slowest character in the game? But yeah, overall, I want Robin to return, but I also want Chrom, so there is a bit of a conflict there. I would not mind if Lucina was decloned, and we got neither, but as we were just talking about, that is fairly unprecedented.
I'd rather Chrom replaced Lucina. Even if she was decloned somehow I feel like Chrom's moves would be more interesting.

I suggested Morgan because I like the concept of bringing back characters with a slightly new twist.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I prefer Dante or Amaterasu if we get another Capcom character. And I believe it would be potentially more likely to see them over a Resident Evil character regardless. I have no idea what they even intend to do with the series after 7.

That being said, if it happened, I assume Leon would be the choice. He has more or less taken over as primary protagonist over Chris, at least in terms of desirability. But maybe Chris is more iconic and they would go with him instead? It really comes down to those two unless they want to pull a Marvel vs Capcom and just give us someone such as Nemesis. We could get Tyrant instead. But again, not sure why anyone involved would actually want any of this to happen.
Yeah, I agree we probably won't get a Resident Evil rep. I don't want one. I'd prefer Amaterasu. I'm just trying to rack 3rd Party Possibilities in my brain. I don't agree with a majority of people that Crash or Bomberman will make the cut. I just don't see them at the level of the rest of the roster. Just a personal opinion. Bayonetta is in a completely different category. She may as well considered a Nintendo character now, and she won the Ballot. No matter how you want to toss it, she won.

I think the most likely reps for 3rd Party would be the Hero from Dragon Quest or a Monster Hunter.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd rather Chrom replaced Lucina. Even if she was decloned somehow I feel like Chrom's moves would be more interesting.

I suggested Morgan because I like the concept of bringing back characters with a slightly new twist.
I mean, canonically, they are more or less the same. Unless you just mean Sakurai might do better with the larger physique.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

Id probably say they go with Revalations Jill imo.
Outside of Capcom, i feel Bomberman and Crash definitely have the best chance.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Alright, I'm going to post my first roster for Switch. I'll give reasoning for each addition, and considerations involved.
View attachment 139505
Dillon getting his own physical game release outside of the 3DS eShop is a good start, but I cannot see Dillon happening until his series gets more popular and excels in sales for his upcoming game. I see him becoming an AT again for Smash Switch. It has been a while since I have seen rosters with Dillon TBH.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I can understand why people would use Black Shadow as a Falcon clone. He is mostly a racer to many, and he doesn't exactly fight hand-in-hand often. However, he does have the power to create a trap with electricity/magic and used a detonator.

My preferred move set for him would be:

B: Ring of Thunder (projectile that can be charged up. Fully charged can paralyse/trap someone for some time. Small hit is standard damage, normal size stuns)
Side-B: a variant of Flaming Choke
Up B: Bull Jump (jumps out of the Black Bull. The car has the hitbox, but he doesn't)
Down B: Detonator (once set up, he can leave it on the ground for stage control or pick up and toss it)

A heavy character that relies on zoning and stage control. That's how I picture Black Shadow - cunning but also ferocious when needed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since everyone is talking about franchises that could get a newcomer, why don't we talk about the opposite? Which seems more likely? The Mario series not getting a newcomer, or Fire Emblem not getting a newcomer?

For me, this is a tough question. Mario is the face of Nintendo, and after the huge success of Odyssey, I could definitely see a newcomer getting added. Fire Emblem is also fairly popular, and although it's not nearly as big as Nintendo's other franchises, the constant rotation in main protagonists allows the series to have many more reasonable options to consider than other series like Mario or Zelda have.

Personally, I think it's more likely for FE to not receive a character. Between Sakurai's comments regarding the abundance of FE characters and Fates being the most recent non-remake FE game, I feel like there's more holding the series back than there is with Mario. It's possible that we could get a character from FE16, but that would only be if Sakurai was given enough material to work with early on from FE16's development team. I think there's a good chance of a FE character being promotional DLC though (because it's already happened twice before).

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Since everyone is talking about franchises that could get a newcomer, why don't we talk about the opposite? Which seems more likely? The Mario series not getting a newcomer, or Fire Emblem not getting a newcomer?

For me, this is a tough question. Mario is the face of Nintendo, and after the huge success of Odyssey, I could definitely see a newcomer getting added. Fire Emblem is also fairly popular, and although it's not nearly as big as Nintendo's other franchises, the constant rotation in main protagonists allows the series to have many more reasonable options to consider than other series like Mario or Zelda have.

Personally, I think it's more likely for FE to not receive a character. Between Sakurai's comments regarding the abundance of FE characters and Fates being the most recent non-remake FE game, I feel like there's more holding the series back than there is with Mario. It's possible that we could get a character from FE16, but that would only be if Sakurai was given enough material to work with early on from FE16's development team. I think there's a good chance of a FE character being promotional DLC though (because it's already happened twice before).
Fire emblem honestly. Depends on whether they actaully did use the FE16 lord.

Morbi

Scavenger

On one hand, Mario is mostly tapped outside of the three that everyone brings up. On the other, Smash was lambasted for having too much Fire Emblem representation. The real question becomes, is Fire Emblem Switch too late? And it just might be, for the base roster. If that is the case, it leaves Fire Emblem with the only "relevant" choice of Celica which came from a game that sold poorly (or Chrom). Overall, I would argue that Waluigi (or company) is much more likely and therefore Fire Emblem is not as likely to get a newcomer.

I rarely argue that new IP are "too new." But we have literally not even seen the protagonist yet. So I believe DLC is the safe assumption. We got two, last time, after all.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Mario not getting a character, for the reasons I posted in my roster.
The series took up its two most major cast additions after the N64 era last time in :4bowserjr: and :rosalina:.
We are left with Spinoff All-Stars like Waluigi or Daisy, Captain Toad and Paper Mario who... have identity issues for being converted into a playable fighter, and Pauline who has done nothing notable except be captured and sing (despite being part of Odyssey's best moment).
:4peach: at least had playable roles in SMRPG and SMB2 (USA). :rosalina:wasn't playable in a major game when she was decided on, but was able to facilitate a specific playstyle type with Luma and became a decent staple in spinoffs. Pauline afaik has never been seen in a Party, Kart, or Sports title.
Sakurai's point on Corrin was "people are probably gonna think there's too much Fire Emblem in Smash, BUT the uniqueness of them as a fighter made them chosen among upcoming/recent title characters." Which does mean he isn't against ignoring that outcry to some extent.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mario not getting a character, for the reasons I posted in my roster.
The series took up its two most major cast additions after the N64 era last time in :4bowserjr: and :rosalina:.
We are left with Spinoff All-Stars like Waluigi or Daisy, Captain Toad and Paper Mario who... have identity issues for being converted into a playable fighter, and Pauline who has done nothing notable except be captured and sing (despite being part of Odyssey's best moment).
:4peach: at least had playable roles in SMRPG and SMB2 (USA). :rosalina:wasn't playable in a major game when she was decided on, but was able to facilitate a specific playstyle type with Luma and became a decent staple in spinoffs. Pauline afaik has never been seen in a Party, Kart, or Sports title.
That is a good point, actually, if they wanted to push Pauline, we probably already would have seen her in Tennis Aces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom