• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Doesn't it seem more likely that (if Banjo is in smash bros) the E3 meeting with Phil Spencer and Nintendo was more likely to check on progress? It seems pretty unlikely that that would be the point where they'd get the rights, to me at least.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
Just FYI on whether it's legal or not to make something with another company's proporties without actual permissions to do so, it's an incredibly common practice. Sakurai himself did that to get approval on Smash, and more recently, Ubisoft did that for the Starfox appearances in Starlink.

EndlessPillows

Smash Rookie
Been following the grinch leak for awhile and although I don't have any valuable info or opinions to add, I thought I would throw this together quickly for everyone's amusement.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Well, there are a lot of actually possible non-video game reps, Mickey and Goku (fite me) being the obvious most likely picks.
I’m just gonna say about the non video game reps, it’s like a 0.01% chance of happening. And if it does, we’d only get one character and that’s it. Anymore would end up turning smash into MUGEN instead of a Nintendo + Gaming fighting game. I can’t ever see any hasbro character getting in, but that’s my opinion and you can have yours.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai openly admitted to considering James Bond for Melee lol I’m not saying a non-video video game rep is likely but Sakurai does whatever he wants
That was a good while before it was implemented that Smash was a celebration of video games, rather than just a big, crazy platform fighter crossover.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
A source is claiming that despite Isaac, Chorus Kids, and Ken being likely, one of the other banner characters seems to be an assist, making the leak fake....
we understand how popular golden sun's isaac was in brawl, so just for you we've brought his assist trophy back! also we reinstated little mac's assist status and helirin is a new playable fighter

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So Mystic is 'claiming' one of the Grinch banner characters is an Assist?

Is that speculation on his part? Or is it a my source said situation?

EDIT: saw someone say source.

Last edited:

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Why is it impossible to consider that maybe Banjo has been in the development process since the beginning, and the Phil Spencer meeting at E3 was Nintendo presenting to Phil how far they had come with the character. Maybe Papageno’s inside information (if true) isn’t correct but somewhere in the ballpark

Spatman

Smash Ace
Basically, this one credible guy is claiming that Isaac, Ken, and Chorus Kids are almost certainly in, but one of the other characters in the leak is actually an assist trophy... Also, he's not quite sure on Geno. He seems conflicted about him... Actually, he sounds conflicted about everything...
He privated his twitter after that
Aside of Shadow and Geno, I don't see any character fitting as assist trophy, and making Geno an assist trophy would be an horrible slap in the face of his fans after all these years

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Oh boy, look at the time. Yep, it's that time again; time to talk about the potential inclusion of non-videogame characters. Are we really talking about the possibility of non-videogame characters again? Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough? It's not happening.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Doesn't it seem more likely that (if Banjo is in smash bros) the E3 meeting with Phil Spencer and Nintendo was more likely to check on progress? It seems pretty unlikely that that would be the point where they'd get the rights, to me at least.
Why is it impossible to consider that maybe Banjo has been in the development process since the beginning, and the Phil Spencer meeting at E3 was Nintendo presenting to Phil how far they had come with the character. Maybe Papageno’s inside information (if true) isn’t correct but somewhere in the ballpark
This is the more likely assumption, yes.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I checked on things here just wanted to see how you all are doi-

*Team Real, Team Fake intensifies, and an avalanche of Grinch memes*

*gulp*

let's do this.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
Just FYI on whether it's legal or not to make something with another company's proporties without actual permissions to do so, it's an incredibly common practice. Sakurai himself did that to get approval on Smash, and more recently, Ubisoft did that for the Starfox appearances in Starlink.
Also they created the Mario model before having approval to make Mario + Rabbids from Nintendo and used it as proof of concept in front of Miyamoto haha

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Disappointment again. So tomorrow’s it for a smash direct announcement, otherwise it’s another week of torture

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I checked on things here just wanted to see how you all are doi-

*Team Real, Team Fake intensifies, and an avalanche of Grinch memes*

*gulp*

let's do this.
*Brawl version of the Love Theme starts playing*

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Disappointment again. So tomorrow’s it for a smash direct announcement, otherwise it’s another week of torture
I'm betting on another week of torture, and the Direct is on the eighth of November.

EDIT: Auto-Emojis, how do I turn them off?

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Wait a minute guys, there is a investor meeting for Nintendo on 30th October. Or 31st, not sure. But I think there's supposed to be a Direct after that date, just not immediately.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Since everyone on here is apparently a big brain on how long it takes to develop a Smash character, pretty sure Sakurai stated during DLC that each character takes at least 6 months to complete.
>Meeting was at E3 in June
>Game releases in December

Oof
Sakurai never said such, his statement clearly states they take over a year to create. His words:

I get the planning for each character done remarkably quickly. For example, after learning about Greninja and its abilities one evening, by late night I had already completed the design for that character’s moves and features.

The process, however, of actually creating a character often takes well over a year, where we are constantly working on the model, the animations, the audio and the balancing. For the game balance we have a testing team playing almost every day and we make adjustments based on their results. I was working from morning to night with my responsibilities as director, so I was only able to spend Wednesday evenings and weekends on the balance.

Also Sonic was only added because he could have been rushed.
That's why his moveset is so bland, this really couldn't have been done with many other characters.
No Sonic was added mid-development in Brawl because:

1: He was the most demanded character for Smash by a massive margin, and Mario/Nintendo vs. Sonic/Sega was a really huge deal at the time.

2: DLC was not possible on the Wii, it was then or never situation, Sakurai had to add Sonic mid-development or he would lose the opportunity to have him in Brawl at all.

Neither of these two situations are ever going to happen again, and we're not going to see such a situation repeat in Smash for any non-clone character.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Don’t get your hopes up, I’ve been banking on next week for a while now to avoid the continuous week-to-week disappointment.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Wait a minute guys, there is a investor meeting for Nintendo on 30th October. Or 31st, not sure. But I think there's supposed to be a Direct after that date, just not immediately.
It would be kind of hard for there to be a meeting of any kind on November 31st.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Did grinch theory die overnight?
I think it's strong as ever, actually. But at this point, the only thing that will end this debate is a direct.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
To those saying that you can't create a character in a three months.

The ballot ended on October 2015 and Bayonetta was revealed on December the same year.

That means it's TOTALLY possible that they can make a functioning character in a quarter year.

I mean, it's not like Nintendo/Sakurai LIED about the ballot? Did they??????

lol :p:joyful:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
To those saying that you can't create a character in a three months.

The ballot ended on October 2015 and Bayonetta was revealed on December the same year.

That means it's TOTALLY possible that they can make a functioning character in a quarter year.

I mean, it's not like Nintendo/Sakurai LIED about the ballot? Did they??????

lol :p:joyful:
They lied basically cause Bayo's files were in the game since April

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The notion that Sakurai was developing Banjo for over two years without the rights secured is simply ludicrous, and I don't know how there are people here and on reddit that legitimate believe that could happen.
Well, there is a loophole... Maybe he wasn't developing Banjo and Kazooie, but Blanjo and Blazooie, if you get what I'm saying. Sakurai saw how popular Banjo was back in 2015 and developed a BEAR bones concept, largely confident that Rare wouldn't say no later, kind of like how Iwata lied to the world at E3 05 about a Smash game being in development despite literally begging Sakurai to make one days later. Oh, there were plans but it was Melee with online, improved graphics, and maybe a few new characters. If Rare said no, they'd just scrap it but if yes, it would have saved them a buttload of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom