• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Regardless of whether or not he's an incentive for purchasing online, I still can't see Incineroar being DLC. I just can't picture a scenario where Incineroar gets dropped mid-development and all these insiders mysteriously feel more confident with him than they do with any other character on the banner, minus Ken.
It's not about dropping him mid development. It's about withholding the character on purpose for incentive reasons. MANY publishers do it now, and we need to understand that it wouldn't be beneath Nintendo to do it. I could imagine Incineroar is completed, and because he's a very popular Pokemon character, he's being withheld to get the younger/pokemon audience to buy the online.

This happens all the time. It's not new. I also just linked or happening with Paratroopa, BY Nintendo

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Characters are obviously developed simultaneously, and judging by when their data was first in the game (1.0.6 for Cloud/Bayo, and 1.0.8 for Corrin), Cloud and Corrin took at absolute minimum eight months to develop, and Bayonetta took ten. Additionally corners were obviously cut for their development, with all of them starting development cloned off another character (datamining showing Cloud and Corrin were cloned off of Ike and Bayonetta off of Zero Suit Samus), and the very glaring balance issues they all have that shows their balance testing was clearly rushed (especially release Bayonetta). And that was with the development team focused entirely on them alongside a few stages and balance adjustments.
Okay, so each character did not take two months to develop, they took closer to a year.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Or you know, this random insider we've barely heard anything about aside from these sudden Smash leaks is wrong.

Regardless, at this point I think it's safe to say Isaac, Shadow, Ken, and maybe Chorus Kids are all safe
You know... it's not because YOU and others people didn't heard about them that it means others doesn't know their credibility :4pacman:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
How is he wrong?
Oh wait, you're just one of those insider deniers, aren't you?
How is he right? We have no proof of that either.

And yes, sorry for being an "insider denier" after being let down multiple times by the lack of an international Mother 3 release and GC Virtual Console on Switch.

Regardless of where we stand on insiders, PapaGenos and MysticDistance have talked about a very similar pool of characters, so in the grand scheme of things I don't see why there's much to worry about.

Now, if some insider comes out and says box theory is true or something, THEN we'll have something to worry about.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Morning Grinchbros, how are we feeling about the leak on this fine day? Any development during the night?

Also wanted to say: there's no way it takes a year to develop a character, I think Sakurai kind of exagerated with that statement so I wouldn't take that as an argument against Papageno's theory.
Lol exactly. All these new characters on top of old characters with new animations and moves, we would be waiting a helluva lot longer than we have.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
By the way, assuming the leak is legit, Sakurai two constant quotes that are brought up into the discussion could be explained this way:
- if Sakurai had not said to not expect many newcomers to be joining after the extreme blowout that was the E3 presentation, people would be thinking that the ULTIMATE smash bros that introduces characters that are """""easy to make"""" (they are not) with echo fighters, there would be tons people without very realistic expectations that would think this game would bring 20+ unique newcomers and 20+ echo fighters in the months coming
-if Sakurai didn't say that they would be slowing down on reveals, people would expect another character or even smash direct in october besides the november reveals

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't really get the idea that they would rush banjo together in just a few months when DLC exists though, it makes far more sense to get the game out and then work on him right? unless he was planned and work was done on him beforehand which brings up the question of why microsoft rejected having banjo in the game back when it started development despite publicly claiming they were up for it

And on top of that why cut the pokemon character of all things? that's kind of a big deal and they would've had to work out all the details with the pokemon company and everything.

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
ok, but you replied to my post where all i said was:
"But if we assume the leak is fake, they are aware of the situation and they aren't even working for nintendo on smash material there would be no reason for them to not come out and discredit this, landing possibly the biggest blow so far to the leak ", how does your explanation apply at all[

Sorry, I worded that wrong,

If they came out and said they weren't involved, then the leak loses half of its credibility, if they do not come out and we still keep fighting over team real of team fake, they are most likely on an NDA

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
What do ya guys think are the chances of a direct being on Tuesday? Cuz I got jury duty that day at 8:15 which is prime direct time. Maybe if I explain the situation to them they will understand..
I’d like for it be soon, but I’m waiting on the announcement from Nintendo.

Also, jury duty? That sucks, don’t ya just love adulting? :4pacman:

Untouch

Smash Master
Also Sonic was only added because he could have been rushed.
That's why his moveset is so bland, this really couldn't have been done with many other characters.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1056893419316961280

Just going to say that this PROVES that Nintendo can and would certainly lock a character from the Smash roster as an incentive to buy the online membership.

Mentioned this before but just want to get the exposure out there.

It's possible this leak is real and Incineroar is used as early DLC incentives when you buy switch online.
Will Paratroopa not be like the other characters then? All of the other characters in Aces you could play in a tournament to unlock them early or wait a month and everyone would get them.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That's why his moveset is so bland, this really isn't have been done with many other characters.
Melee Ganondorf: Hold my beer.

Untouch

Smash Master
Will Paratroopa not be like the other characters then? All of the other characters in Aces you could play in a tournament to unlock them early or wait a month and everyone would get them.
No, it works the same way here.
You just need online to join the tournaments now, that's the only reason why they mentioned it.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think this is more a case of logic (whether that logic is fallacious or not is unknown).

Sakurai stated that Brawl was held back three months to put Sonic in the game, the implication being that SEGA finally caved and allowed Sonic to be put in around that time. If they didn't have permission to put him in the game until SEGA gave the go ahead, then there was probably no base work for them to use, meaning they made Sonic from scratch in approximately three months for Brawl.

Of course, if they did indeed make Sonic in three months from scratch, they were probably only able to because he was the (near-)sole focus of their development during that time and almost all resources were focused on getting him into the game. Which is what @papagenos is arguing for Banjo: "during E3 2018, Sakurai was giving the go-ahead to put Banjo in Smash, and Sakurai rushed back to Japan and put pretty much his entire development team on the sole purpose of getting Banjo in ASAP since that time".

The implication of this train of thought is that characters only take a full year to make if you have to make other characters (and everything related to all the characters) at the same time, Smash 4's DLC characters don't really matter for the time-scale, because they were most-assured made with a much, much smaller team than Ultimate has; Smash 4 was post-development by that time and most of the team had moved on to other projects, only a skeleton crew was working on Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta (along with the stages and mii costumes that were also made around that time), this is just how game development works.

Does this clear up the argument for you?

Of course, I am not an expert, I'm only trying to explain what the argument is.
There is no implication here that Sonic was made in three months, Sakurai outright said he was added to the game in early 2007. And extra manpower doesn't really help get characters done faster; tasking 10 people to create and rig a character's model for example isn't going to get the job done faster than a couple people doing it, what the extra manpower achieves is the ability to create more content simultaneously. The reason why DLC has a smaller crew is because they're not creating a whole game's worth of content, they're just creating a few characters and stages plus some balance adjustments for patches, you don't need the whole development team for that. Banjo being added at E3 2018 and being in the base game is not possible.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
He probably will. I'm just specifying it could be done with Incineroar, hence why he may not be on the banner, at least at first. He'd then probably be available as payed DLC a month or 2 in.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
MY GOD the stress from not knowing if this leak is real has actually given me zits.
Also. Is anyone else actually surprised that Sakurai hasn't even considered Transformers and/or ponies for Smash yet, given the amazing relationship between Hasbro and Nintendo? I mean, look at Monopoly Gamer, that's a thing now and so far it's only Nintendo-based.
View attachment 173248
(Just bringing this up as part of the Hasbro-Rep discussion)
Bait? It would completely go against Smash to include characters not from video games.
"B-but there's games of ponies!"
My Little Pony didn't originate in video games.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
That's why his moveset is so bland, this really couldn't have been done with many other characters.
I still think that’s a Sega decision tbh. I really feel like that if his moveset was a rush job, they would’ve changed it up in both 4 and Ultimate.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm kind of more interested in whatever Sakurai's next Famitsu Column is going to be than the next direct.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Banjo would presumably come with a stage, music and other stuff - making it even less likely that he was a six-month rush job. C'mon, you can still believe Banjo is in the base game and not buy the whole 'he was only agreed at e3'. The lunch could have literally been about anything else: even 'hey guys, how's development on Banjo coming along?'

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Bait? It would completely go against Smash to include characters not from video games.
Sakurai openly admitted to considering James Bond for Melee lol I’m not saying a non-video video game rep is likely but Sakurai does whatever he wants

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
what if banjo IS an AT? They could have made that happen in the timeframe after E3.

That would be kinda dissapointing especially if we get all of the other leaked characters lol

D

Deleted member

Well, there are a lot of actually possible non-video game reps, Mickey and Goku (fite me) being the obvious most likely picks.
Also Zoe is not a pony. :mad088:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hi there,morning!

Just 6 more weeks and we can play some Smash Ultimate!

I cant wait!

What did I miss?
A source is claiming that despite Isaac, Chorus Kids, and Ken being likely, one of the other banner characters seems to be an assist, making the leak fake....

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Didn't he already say Geno is in?
I think he's talking about Mach RIder.
Then I might break a chair if Mach Rider is the assist trophy (not really, but Mach Rider is my most wanted from this leak, so I don't want him/her to be an assist trophy)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom