• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
I find it funny nothing has been proven or disproven after almost a week, and everyone's "trustworthy" sources are saying different characters from the banner are in or not, and the leak is real/fake............................. time to just wait for a direct

D

Deleted member

We still need to acknowledge the fact that we weren't supposed to expect too many newcomers.
15 isn't too many? Yeah bull****, Sakurai.

CarbVan

Smash Rookie
People are still talking about how Banjo couldn't have been made in just the time after E3. Just remember the team could have been working on Banjo before E3 and only got the rights then.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
That's a pretty big assumption; to say an agreement was reached just five months ago and Sakurai miraculously scrapped together a unique character within that time. For all we know, Banjo could've been decided back in 2015, and Phil wanted to show support for Nintendo and their new game Smash.

Or we could just go with the simplier answer and say this had nothing to do with Smash and Phil genuinely wanted to have lunch with a few Nintendo reps so he could chat.
Sure, we could just brush off another "coincidence", just like all these others we are brushing off.

But I don't know, it's just weird to me that PapaGenos talks with his source and a few other "insiders" apparently, come up with this crazy wacky-ass theory that Banjo was negotiated at E3 and Incineroar was delayed, and then not long after someone unearths an E3 interview and what do you know Phil directly talks about having "lunch" with Nintendo.

I don't deny that developing a character from E3 until now seems like a rush job, and I thought PapaGenos theory was wack myself at first, but... MUH COINCIDENCES....

D

Deleted member

People are still talking about how Banjo couldn't have been made in just the time after E3. Just remember the team could have been working on Banjo before E3 and only got the rights then.
My lord, is this...legal?

Genuinely asking here.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pretty sure that's not how it works...
They probably still need the rights to even work on him

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If they were working on Banjo before they even secured the rights, that's a crime. And Microsoft would so get paid in the upcoming lawsuit.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Well, that's it.
I'm going to fail my exams because of Smash Bros a thread™
Duder no! What are you doing. An exam is certainly more importantly...and more likely to give you less of a headache than being here in this cluster****.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Sure, we could just brush off another "coincidence", just like all these others we are brushing off.

But I don't know, it's just weird to me that PapaGenos talks with his source and a few other "insiders" apparently, come up with this crazy wacky-*** theory that Banjo was negotiated at E3 and Incineroar was delayed, and then not long after someone unearths an E3 interview and what do you know Phil directly talks about having "lunch" with Nintendo.

I don't deny that developing a character from E3 until now seems like a rush job, and I thought PapaGenos theory was wack myself at first, but... MUH COINCIDENCES....
Honestly Phil having lunch with Nintendo is not too surprising. Phil seems like a pretty chill dude that doesn't take rivalry seriously.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I do have to wonder how long it would take to develop a character with all hands on deck. Surely not as long as the likes of Mewtwo for Smash 4.
Extra manpower does not really help make characters get created faster, it more allows you to create more characters and other content simultaneously. No amount of manpower is getting a new unique Smash character in an acceptable working condition within a few months.

I wouldn't be so sure of this anymore. I also was skeptical of PapaGenos' theory, but then someone unearthed that E3 interview and what do you ****ing know, another lightning in a bottle "coincidence", Phil Spencer has lunch with Nintendo reps? Hmm...
No it is not a matter of skepticism, it is a developmental impossibility for a unique character to be created from scratch within a few months. If Banjo was really decided for Smash during Phil Spencer's nebulous "lunch with Nintendo", it's for DLC, not the base game.

Yeah, I don’t know why people genuinely think Sonic was made in 3 months. He wasn’t added in late in development, he was added back. Sonic was apart of the original roster, then Sega pulled out mid development, then decided to pull back in towards the end. Sonic already had work done on him way beforehand.
That's not quite how it went either; Sonic was on the original project plan but Sega rejected it initially and then later changed their mind mid-development. When Sonic was added he was still being created from scratch.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1056893419316961280

Guys, you know who's red, can fly, and starts with the letter K?

GUYS THIS IS HAPPENING, THIS IS IRREFUTABLE PROOF THE LEAK IS REAL!
You know what this actually can prove though?

That Nintendo can and would certainly hold a Smash character back as an incentive to purchase the Switch online membership.

Honestly I'm banking in the leak being real and Incineroar being used as a timed exclusive like this for a month or two.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My god this community's been especially toxic since the leak. Did we get an influx of 4channers or something? Lots of "reeeee corporate shill" rhetoric going around that's laughably hard to take seriously. Honestly it's no surprise the community's being compared to crazed sycophants by some in the know.
Assuming a fake leak, I think it's all a matter of bad communication.

Say that they know the full roster and this fake comes out. Instead of playing along with maybes, they instead come out and say it's not real, with no evidence they are able to provide. May be for noble purposes (i.e. don't get your hopes up) but it still comes off as arrogant, it'll rub people the wrong way.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No it is not a matter of skepticism, it is a developmental impossibility for a unique character to be created from scratch within a few months. If Banjo was really decided for Smash during Phil Spencer's nebulous "lunch with Nintendo", it's for DLC, not the base game.
Yeah, I was initially buying it but then I remembered June was like 4 months ago.
But I do think Banjo's probably involved in some way, so I'd probably wager he's the mystical 1st revealed DLC character.

Or it was E3 2017 :troll:

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
But if we assume the leak is fake, they are aware of the situation and they aren't even working for nintendo on smash material there would be no reason for them to not come out and discredit this, landing possibly the biggest blow so far to the leak
I think your thinking too hard about this, whether we think it's real or fake, they are under a NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT. This means that they aren't allowed to talk about it even IF we care or not. If they violated their terms agreed to by them and Nintendo they would face legal repercussions and lose their reputation. I'm currently studying law, I am well versed in this.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Honestly Phil having lunch with Nintendo is not too surprising. Phil seems like a pretty chill dude that doesn't take rivalry seriously.
Of course, but I feel like if they set up a dedicated lunch event the day of E3 before Sakurai left back for Japan, something was definitely up.

I just simply can't imagine them having a casual lunch discussing Fortnite cross play and nothing else tbh. Smash HAD to have been brought up in some capacity.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You say we're toxic and yet you're the one using ableist language?

"Reeeeeeeee" is a phrase people used to mock people with autism.
Notice that it's offset by quotes. As in, it's not me saying it, but instead the words of the type of people who would say it. In other words, people who say this type of drivel:
Well, it's also used to mock SJW's who call people bigots and nazis when they can't formulate a counter argument.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The theory that Banjo was decided to be put in the base game at E3 and replaced Incineroar is simply bull****; it takes over a year to create a new Smash character, a unique Banjo is not going to be in an acceptable working state within in a few months.

If the leak is real and Incineroar is DLC, it's'simply Banjo was in the game since December 2015 and Incineroar was a low priority character who couldn't be finished in time for the base game or was deliberate frontline DLC decided later in development.
Not saying I don't believe you, but if a character takes a year to develop, then why did we get a new dlc character every couple of months back in smash 4? Shouldn't those characters have taken a year to develop? Or were they being developed before the game even came out?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
People were saying "so what if we only get 2 more, it's still a great game" for a solid month, but if anything Grinch has given proof that the community is deeply unsatisfied with that possibility.
I've been saying this and feel so strongly about this. Like part of me wishes we got the Grinch leak the week of the Smash direct so like it could have been a ooo maybe this is a possibility! Instead of 1-2 weeks of people feeling it has to be real and expecting no less, when Sakurai would definitely have planned it to be a pleasant surprise.

Seriously if we even get 3 more unique newcomers that would have been a surprise for me because we were living in a possibly just Incineroar and Geno world.
I wouldn't be so sure of this anymore. I also was skeptical of PapaGenos' theory, but then someone unearthed that E3 interview and what do you ****ing know, another lightning in a bottle "coincidence", Phil Spencer has lunch with Nintendo reps? Hmm...
Sonic was not developed in 3 months, he was added to Brawl by early 2007, and his inclusion delayed the game to 2008, he still took about a year to create while being rushed and given a lacking moveset.
With both of these in mind, reminder that such a meeting could have been for securing the rights of the first dlc character. I'm pretty positive Banjo will be in Ultimate, just not positive as a base roster character.
Huh, really? I always heard the same narrative throughout the years that he was developed under 3 months, that could be fake i guess, sorry for that, didn't mean to spread misinformation. I personally don't believe in the banjo deal was struck and caused incineroar to be dropped at e3 whole thing, just thought that if the sonic development time was that short banjo could do with one much longer, but i guess it wasn't after all
That's ok! Sorry if I came off harsh and rude

Not saying I don't believe you, but if a character takes a year to develop, then why did we get a new dlc character every couple of months back in smash 4? Shouldn't those characters have taken a year to develop? Or were they being developed before the game even came out?
This doesn't answer your question exactly, but those aren't relatable situations because the doc characters weren't being worked on alongside a full game of 70+ characters.

I can only presume that it's easier to crank out a character when you aren't trying to build an entire game and balance and rebuild an entire game roster. Just a thought

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Didn't Ubisoft add Starfox into Starlink before they had permission?
From what I know... But maybe the story I heard is wrong. It was more of like, after a discussion of how Rabbit+Mario worked well with Nintendo last year, they started to work on a proposal project.

Basically, when a company want to try and get a licence from another one, it's common to like do some work to show your intentions and what you want to do with said licence. However it can be dangerous since if they refuse all work go down the trash bin.

But TL;DR yeah, they did work on it before even having the "paperwork" greenlight but apparently they had the "verbal" greenlight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom