• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The notion that Sakurai was developing Banjo for over two years without the rights secured is simply ludicrous, and I don't know how there are people here and on reddit that legitimate believe that could happen.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not saying I don't believe you, but if a character takes a year to develop, then why did we get a new dlc character every couple of months back in smash 4? Shouldn't those characters have taken a year to develop? Or were they being developed before the game even came out?
Sakurai confirmed that DLC development did not start until Smash 3DS was out. That being said, Mewtwo may have been cut from the base roster.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Unless you have a source that Sakurai said he took 3 months (I 100% could have missed that) then it's simply not true nor believeable. The game was delayed 3 months but that doesn't mean Sonic was made in those 3 months.

I mean that doesn't even make sense there was a working build of him in a demo that November as well as a trailer of him in October before the delay was even announced.

So if you have a source I'll take this all back, my bad for not knowing. But the last thing I want is people spreading misinformation claiming that a smash character can be built from scratch in 3 months.
I think this is more a case of logic (whether that logic is fallacious or not is unknown).

Sakurai stated that Brawl was held back three months to put Sonic in the game, the implication being that SEGA finally caved and allowed Sonic to be put in around that time. If they didn't have permission to put him in the game until SEGA gave the go ahead, then there was probably no base work for them to use, meaning they made Sonic from scratch in approximately three months for Brawl.

Of course, if they did indeed make Sonic in three months from scratch, they were probably only able to because he was the (near-)sole focus of their development during that time and almost all resources were focused on getting him into the game. Which is what papagenos papagenos is arguing for Banjo: "during E3 2018, Sakurai was giving the go-ahead to put Banjo in Smash, and Sakurai rushed back to Japan and put pretty much his entire development team on the sole purpose of getting Banjo in ASAP since that time".

The implication of this train of thought is that characters only take a full year to make if you have to make other characters (and everything related to all the characters) at the same time, Smash 4's DLC characters don't really matter for the time-scale, because they were most-assured made with a much, much smaller team than Ultimate has; Smash 4 was post-development by that time and most of the team had moved on to other projects, only a skeleton crew was working on Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta (along with the stages and mii costumes that were also made around that time), this is just how game development works.

Does this clear up the argument for you?

Of course, I am not an expert, I'm only trying to explain what the argument is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not saying I don't believe you, but if a character takes a year to develop, then why did we get a new dlc character every couple of months back in smash 4? Shouldn't those characters have taken a year to develop? Or were they being developed before the game even came out?
They were undoubtedly developed before release, just not completed.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The notion that Sakurai was developing Banjo for over two years without the rights secured is simply ludicrous, and I don't know how there are people here and on reddit that legitimate believe that could happen.
Sorry, E3 2015.
Let's goooooo :denzel:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Because people forgo basic logic if it insinuates that their most wanted is playable
See: Ridley's Shadow in Smash 4

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Also, if Banjo was decided BEFORE E3, something tells me that Phil Spencer would've flat out ignored that tweet asking him if he was still okay with letting Banjo in. Wouldn't that be against NDA? Or is it vague enough to pass?

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Why would they be under an NDA with a company that they do not work with at all and never have worked with?
I'm talking about if they are under an NDA, we know that Marina were not under an NDA, they only talked about this because of the backlash they were getting, if the other firm does not reply to the backlash, it most likely that they are dong work with Namco or Nintendo

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I really wish Nintendo would just put out a direct and put this all to bed, one way or the other. Honestly, I think they made a bad business move to withhold so much information this close to release. They've opened themselves up to leaks and if this one isn't true, one will be soon.

It will be especially bad if this leak does turn out to be true because then they chose to withhold half the newcomers until a month before release and had a very long drought in between.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I meant working on a character before you get the rights.
I mean, you can arguably work on a character, sure. The thing is if they don't manage to get the rights and the deal falls through, they have to 100% scrap it with no trace and lose out on a good chunk of development time for something that's considered a gamble.

I've made models before of known video game characters for skill building exercises, but I can't do anything with it unless I happen upon the rights to it through magic or something. Nothing promotional, commercial. Hell, can't even use it as a part of a portfolio. So I don't often see big game dev's taking that kind of time risk, but could be something Sakurai would consider since he seems adept at landing these 3rd party deals. That said, I'd still say on the side of no since it is risky shenanigans at the business level and even doing just 1 small thing wrong in handling it would be a heavy fine.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My lord, is this...legal?

Genuinely asking here.
I think so, given that the Marvel Ultimate alliance team worked on Samus and Link as playable characters before getting the full go-ahead from Nintendo. (and then blew it by demoing them on the PS2 version of the game).

I'm not sure how the law works there but I think as long as a deal is on the cards, work is allowed to take place but as soon as it falls flat, it's off the the archives.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Characters are obviously developed simultaneously, and judging by when their data was first in the game (1.0.6 for Cloud/Bayo, and 1.0.8 for Corrin), Cloud and Corrin took at absolute minimum eight months to develop, and Bayonetta took ten. Additionally corners were obviously cut for their development, with all of them starting development cloned off another character (datamining showing Cloud and Corrin were cloned off of Ike and Bayonetta off of Zero Suit Samus), and the very glaring balance issues they all have that shows their balance testing was clearly rushed (especially release Bayonetta). And that was with the development team focused entirely on them alongside a few stages and balance adjustments.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1056893419316961280

Just going to say that this PROVES that Nintendo can and would certainly lock a character from the Smash roster as an incentive to buy the online membership.

Mentioned this before but just want to get the exposure out there.

It's possible this leak is real and Incineroar is used as early DLC incentives when you buy switch online.
I just hope that Smash DLC is like Mario Party/Tennis, that you can unlock Smash characters by playing online

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about if they are under an NDA, we know that Marina were not under an NDA, they only talked about this because of the backlash they were getting, if the other firm does not reply to the backlash, it most likely that they are dong work with Namco or Nintendo
ok, but you replied to my post where all i said was:
"But if we assume the leak is fake, they are aware of the situation and they aren't even working for nintendo on smash material there would be no reason for them to not come out and discredit this, landing possibly the biggest blow so far to the leak ", how does your explanation apply at all

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's a very, very big misconception in this thread.

It wouldn't be illegal for work to be done on Banjo before getting permission. Similar things have been done before. Ubisoft integrated Star Fox into Starlink before getting permission. They also made a Mario model before getting approved for Mario and Rabbids.

Hell, Sakurai himself did it by making Smash about Nintendo characters before getting permission to. What this is is providing proof of concept and it is NOT illegal.

It's just a risky thing to do because depending on how in depth your proof of concept was, it may lead to wasted man hours,

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sakurai confirmed that DLC development did not start until Smash 3DS was out. That being said, Mewtwo may have been cut from the base roster.
If that's the case then how were they able to develop a new character every other month? Shouldn't it take much longer than that?

CarbVan

Smash Rookie
My lord, is this...legal?

Genuinely asking here.
It's happened with other games in the past. For instance, Ubisoft worked on Star Fox for Starlink without even getting permission from Nintendo. This kinda thing isn't the most common, but it definitely happens. It's certainly a possibility that they were working on Banjo before getting permission to sell Microsoft on how he'd be represented.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really wish Nintendo would just put out
Yeah, same man, I--
Oh. That too, I guess
I just hope that Smash DLC is like Mario Party/Tennis, that you can unlock Smash characters by playing online
I kinda just figured DLC would be free for Online subscribers (mostly cause I want that) but I wonder if they'll use the Online Tournament thing for official tournaments.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I sadly think it's Mach Rider...
Or it could be Banjo
Or you know, this random insider we've barely heard anything about aside from these sudden Smash leaks is wrong.

Regardless, at this point I think it's safe to say Isaac, Shadow, Ken, and maybe Chorus Kids are all safe

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1056893419316961280

Just going to say that this PROVES that Nintendo can and would certainly lock a character from the Smash roster as an incentive to buy the online membership.

Mentioned this before but just want to get the exposure out there.

It's possible this leak is real and Incineroar is used as early DLC incentives when you buy switch online.
Regardless of whether or not he's an incentive for purchasing online, I still can't see Incineroar being DLC. I just can't picture a scenario where Incineroar gets dropped mid-development and all these insiders mysteriously feel more confident with him than they do with any other character on the banner, minus Ken.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Morning Grinchbros, how are we feeling about the leak on this fine day? Any development during the night?

Also wanted to say: there's no way it takes a year to develop a character, I think Sakurai kind of exagerated with that statement so I wouldn't take that as an argument against Papageno's theory.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Or you know, this random insider we've barely heard anything about aside from these sudden Smash leaks is wrong.

Regardless, at this point I think it's safe to say Isaac, Shadow, Ken, and maybe Chorus Kids are all safe
How is he wrong?
Oh wait, you're just one of those insider deniers, aren't you?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Since everyone on here is apparently a big brain on how long it takes to develop a Smash character, pretty sure Sakurai stated during DLC that each character takes at least 6 months to complete.
>Meeting was at E3 in June
>Game releases in December

Oof

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I meant working on a character before you get the rights.
Pretty sure, yeah. Handshake deals are legally binding so if Nintendo got verbally got the rights for Banjo before I’d assume they’d be allowed to work on him, but if Microsoft pulled out they’d have to stop due to no paper work. I’m not a Law Expert though so someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Reading the tweets made by Mystic, and it was about revealing that why banner look so fake because there's one of those characters that would be AT
I think it was shadow because he was AT in Smash 4 and one of Mystic's sources might confused him for AT which explains why banner was fake to him. (We didn't even see him as one of ATs in Ultimate.)

If anyone else came to this conclusion eariler, sorry for interrupt the conversation.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Morning Grinchbros, how are we feeling about the leak on this fine day? Any development during the night?

Also wanted to say: there's no way it takes a year to develop a character, I think Sakurai kind of exagerated with that statement so I wouldn't take that as an argument against Papageno's theory.
One source is believing that Isaac, Chorus Kids, and Ken are very likely in, and that the banner leak is fake because one of the other characters is actually an assist trophy...

Untouch

Smash Master
Sakurai said that the game was nearly complete in his Isabelle interview, that was September.
I have massive doubts he was still working on characters at that point.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Since everyone on here is apparently a big brain on how long it takes to develop a Smash character, pretty sure Sakurai stated during DLC that each character takes at least 6 months to complete.
>Meeting was at E3 in June
>Game releases in December

Oof
The game would have to be completed quite a bit before it's release date, no? What with all the logistics that go into selling bajillions of copies of it, and not to mention testing the game.

Also, Sakurai mentioned that they take a year or more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom