• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Why would the background change though? It hasn't change at all since E3. And why are nearly all the changes in spots that characters are covering up? That seems a bit fishy. Is it possible it changes? Yeah, it's possible. Is it likely? Ehh.. no I'm gonna go with no.
It doesn't really matter if we know why, it just matters that it did. Look at the instagram post and compare it to the current background.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only reason I'm still on Team Hmm and waiting it out despite the very obvious and important critical issues with the background isn't even because of the remaining newcomers, but the sheer fact the last time things were photo-shopped and had errors to hide from Nintendo and such.

I also kinda believe the newcomers is an insane amount left myself.

I admit there are issues, but there are also solid reasons in my head to wait and play this out for some sort of official debunking, whether it be a faker coming forward or Nintendo revealing something that simply doesn't match up with what is shown.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Do you think that the three cut characters will be DLC? Or do characters like Bandana Dee have a higher chance than characters like Monster Hunter?
Monster Hunter is the only one with a decent chance. You think they're gonna sell a Custom Robo character as DLC?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'd love for this to be real. 7 characters remaining > 2 characters remaining.

I just put facts before feelings when it comes to Smash speculation. My reason for thinking the leak is fake is entirely based on the facts for both sides. I do feel the fact that it looks like a wishlist is a point against it, but not a very strong one. The background inconsistencies and the sheer number of characters remaining are what kills it for me.

Incorrect.

He said Banjo couldn't happen due to "adult issues". Not once did he ever say he actually attempted to get Banjo in Melee. Please do your research before making claims like this.
Post edited for total accuracy, but don't try to hit me with that 'do research' crap. Him bringing up Banjo-Kazooie of all characters, and specifically saying it was for adult reasons they couldn't be included, directly implies some consideration was put towards it and an attempt was made that ended with 'no.' I know what he said, but it's clear what it implies.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
But those who think it's fake also have holes as well. The guy worked at a company, but doesn't work there, but does work somewhere similar. This faker would have had to impersonate him and concoct this elaborate scenario, and pull it off without one minor detail (so far) being overlooked by him that would have conclusively debunked it. Whether this is real or fake, I have trouble believing either scenario.
This is a good point, for the leak to be fake it requires the leaker to know people would find a way to decipher the name that's blacked out, find a person who works at an advertising company, put Grinch stuff (including some custom made renders) in the background because you expect people to pay close attention to that, and the advertising company this man he found would work for may have ties to bandai-namco and illumination, then when it's discovered it's not that company make it OK because you had the guy actually working at a different ad company which may still be working on it anyways so it remains fine in that angle. The leaker also needs both access INSIDE one of these ad companies and knowledge of how they work to forge the documents which in his leak contain information and technical stuff relating to that.

That's the biggest point in favor of this leak. For it to be fake, it has to assume the person who made it is someone with time, resources, and capable o an incredible degree of research, of which no fake leak in the past has been able to reproduce ever. The closest is that rayman video. If you notice, all past fake leaks can be considered art projects, and this one seems to focus on an entirely different direction and just happens to be unable to be debunked in that regard.

Another major point is the ad company implicated hasn't commented at all on this. If this was fake and they weren't working on Smash, they could just come out and say so, like the other one did. So why not this one? The fact it's taking time to relay a message at all is very concerning, PR would be on top of this if it was fake.

The only real talking points I see for the leak being fake are background inconsistencies, but even those can be written off as beta, the backgrounds blank for promo and the blank background for the characters+mural being different intentionally, or camera oddities. With the reasons stacked up side to side, I just have an insanely hard time seeing this as fake.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to say that I don't mean any ill will towards anyone in here, and if I came off as aggressive I apologize. I see reasons to doubt the leak, and I don't want people to be disappointed if it turns out to be fake. I'd love for it to be real guys, and I would love if everyone in here got what they wanted out of this game. At the end of the day, we'll find out soon enough what is real and fake, and we'll all be enjoying a new Smash game.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT THE BACKGROUND MAY HAVE CHANGED FROM E3 TO NOW.
Putting it in caps since the #TeamFake seems to keep not noticing this important detail.
You realize that mural they showed in the Wendy's trailer was from before Isabelle's reveal, right?

The background behind Daisy looks the same in the current version (couldn't quickly find a higher quality image) and in the E3 version of the banner. So no, I haven't seen any actual proof of the real banner changing. Just misconceptions about it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Monster Hunter is the only one with a decent chance. You think they're gonna sell a Custom Robo character as DLC?
I'd argue Dixie is the only one with a viable chance. Given she'd be a semi-clone of Diddy and is really popular in the Smash fanbase.

MH is going to face stiff competition from other 3rd party franchises and I have a hard time seeing any playable representation from that series.

And lol Custom Robo is so dead even death feels bad for it. :laugh:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I can see Dixie really easily. She's honestly a bit of a glaring omission from the roster with or without the Grinch's presents.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Day 3: Leak still not revealed to be a hoax designed to bring publicity for The Grinch.
This is the only thing believable to me now, makes too much sense--these viral marketing campaigns are getting ridiculous.. This fiasco is the only thing that would make me even remotely want to sit through that (still hasn't worked :p).

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Another major point is the ad company implicated hasn't commented at all on this. If this was fake and they weren't working on Smash, they could just come out and say so, like the other one did. So why not this one? The fact it's taking time to relay a message at all is very concerning, PR would be on top of this if it was fake.
The ad company did in fact comment on this. I don't have the comments available to me but they basically said it was poor journalism.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I was involved in the murder of loz18 last month. I may not be here, but I'm still making an impact nonetheless. ;)

I've just been primarily using GameFAQs because Nintenzone/the old leak group thread is always in Waifu Emblem talk mode whenever I've tried stopping by. I wanna talk about Smash Bros, not that gacha nonsense.

The reason I'm in this thread is because I saw people mentioning me. Normally, prolonged exposure to the levels of optimism radiating from this thread would make my flesh melt like in Temple of Doom.
Not your precious face! Go my friend if you must. I understand.

But to quote Whitney Houston and Dolly Parton before her...

ANNDDDD IIIIIIIII WILLLL ALWAYYYYSSS LOVEEEE YOOOUUU. :(

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Marina Printing comapny said they would "contact Bandi Namco and Nintendo to revmove false information" acouple days ago. I know this was regarding their companys reputation and less the validity of the leak itself, but since theyre forever tied to the rumor theyd probably want an official statement out of one of them stating its fake... Did anything ever come out of them supposedly contacting Namco? Its tinfoily, but maybe they got told to keep quiet by Nintendo/Namco and thats why we havent had an official deconfirmation from them. Im sure Marina would wanna shoot it down if they could.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The ad company did in fact comment on this. I don't have the comments available to me but they basically said it was poor journalism.
Nope that was the first company, the one he worked for 2 years ago, which would not be making Ultimate adverts then. It has to be the second company, which had not responded

gloop898

Smash Cadet
Alrighty, here's some of my thoughts.

There are 3 waterfalls in the E3 background, but only 2 in the Grinch Leak.
'Maybe the camera/snapchat/etc blurred it out.'
Unlikely as it's close to the same color as the other waterfalls and those didn't get blurred out completely.
It's also really close to the other waterfalls so it's not like it's on a completely other side of the image where different lighting could effect it. It's right next to the other one.
This is only one of the many discrepancies in the Grinch Leak background. There 7+ more in there ranging from major to minor.
'Maybe the background changed.'
That's possible but unlikely. The background hasn't changed since E3 and there doesn't seem to be any reason to change it at all. All the changes also don't really seem to add anything to the background, so there doesn't seem to be a real purpose behind the changes that would make them necessary. Also most of the changes in the Grinch Leak are were characters were blocking the background. Which makes the changes even more suspicious.
To me this is reason enough to show that it's fake, or at the very least in desperate need of more proof showing it's true.

D

Deleted member

Does anybody actually have the Snapchat video? It seems illusive... is it even real????
Snapchat videos can only be viewed once before they auto-delete, and they only stay up for a couple hours.

Seriously. have you guys never used popular social media platforms like these? I saw posts like this all the time and 4chan as well, where people question the validity of the leak, simply cause they're ignorant of how Snapchat work.

In short, it's made for nudes and **** pics (not officially, but that's what most people use it for anyways). Send out your pic/video, and don't worry about it "leaking" as it'll autodelete and can't be recovered once it's seen. Ofc as you can see with this leak, it's not foolproof, there are way to snag some screencaps of whatever it is you sent if you're quick/clever enough.

So no, the original video is most definitely gone forever, and it not existing anyone isn't any "proof" of the images being fake, as the very nature of Snapchat makes it basically impossible to recover any video you've seen. We're lucky to even have these screen.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Source? I can't find anything on ACP commenting on this at all. The most I've heard is someone calling them and them saying they can't talk about who their clients are. And that was from an unsourced post online.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
You realize that mural they showed in the Wendy's trailer was from before Isabelle's reveal, right?

The background behind Daisy looks the same in the current version (couldn't quickly find a higher quality image) and in the E3 version of the banner. So no, I haven't seen any actual proof of the real banner changing. Just misconceptions about it.
Do you mean in the Wendy's trailer, or on the Wendy's trailer? Cause the one on the Wendy's-sponsored campus trailer seems to be somewhat different, particularly where Daisy is involved.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoC5NmIB5OD/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uym8r9j0yads
This is the one I'm talking about.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
"Can't include Banjo for 'adult reaons'" *puts Bayonetta in*

Unless by adult reasons they mean in the way a child means adult reasons, and the business end of things didn't work out.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
People keep saying that the leaker had to do this and the leaker had to do that and YES, the person would!!! But we have no idea if this is a group effort. Not only that but they could have been working on this ever since Isabelle reveal. With a group effort, this is actually relatively plausible.

Edit: In fact I wouldn't be surprised in Chadondorf was a part of it too. The Leaker/Leakers could just be very smart.

Last edited:

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie

I understand everyone said the battlefield have changed since E3 and yes some parts have. But can someone explain me how the small crystal above Cloud knee (A part the leaker knew if he try to recreate it) is there but everything else that was hidden isn't? Is this bad luck or impossible odd that Nintendo change EVERY CRYSTAL on the left except one, the one who appeared above Cloud knee. And what is the reason of making Battlefield, a circular map more flat on the left?

Edit: Sorry the image is huge it load slow. Here's the link: https://i.imgur.com/7PnMYU8.png

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD

Unlikely as it's close to the same color as the other waterfalls and those didn't get blurred out completely.
It's also really close to the other waterfalls so it's not like it's on a completely other side of the image where different lighting could effect it. It's right next to the other one.
This is only one of the many discrepancies in the Grinch Leak background. There 7+ more in there ranging from major to minor.
That's possible but unlikely. The background hasn't changed since E3 and there doesn't seem to be any reason to change it at all. All the changes also don't really seem to add anything to the background, so there doesn't seem to be a real purpose behind the changes that would make them necessary. Also most of the changes in the Grinch Leak are were characters were blocking the background. Which makes the changes even more suspicious.
To me this is reason enough to show that it's fake, or at the very least in desperate need of more proof showing it's true.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoC5NmIB5OD/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uym8r9j0yads
1. The background changed.
2. Can we even call those waterfalls? They look like light on the sides of rock formations.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Unless by adult reasons they mean in the way a child means adult reasons, and the business end of things didn't work out.
It think it was due to Microsoft Buying Rare at the time...

Untouch

Smash Master

He did mean legal reasons, probably just a literal translation there.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'd argue Dixie is the only one with a viable chance. Given she'd be a semi-clone of Diddy and is really popular in the Smash fanbase.

MH is going to face stiff competition from other 3rd party franchises and I have a hard time seeing any playable representation from that series.

And lol Custom Robo is so dead even death feels bad for it. :laugh:
Considering it's gotten the first hybrid boss/AT in series history (/already is halfway in), was big before and now lays claim to the top selling title in Capcom's history as a company, and Capcom in generally seemingly being very easy/willing to work with (Street Fighter gaining 30 more songs while FF still has only 2 comes to mind, on top of being the first publisher with two characters in Smash)... I don't see how MH is anything other than one of the safest bets for 3rd party DLC. It definitely blocks off every other Capcom series.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

My guy look at all of my other posts. The background is one simple detraction that can't be explained while there are like 15 other reasons for why this being fake is almost unlikely.

The background is the one thing fake-goers use to prove their point, while the evidence for it being real has like 10+ things, that if fake, all need to miraculously work together to have been convincing this far.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Do you mean in the Wendy's trailer, or on the Wendy's trailer? Cause the one on the Wendy's-sponsored campus trailer seems to be somewhat different, particularly where Daisy is involved.
This is the one I'm talking about.
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. You'll notice Isabelle isn't in that mural you linked, proving it's not a new one.

Also the river behind Daisy does look the same to me, not that it matters.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
1. Where has the background changed?
2. Even if they aren't waterfalls, the point still stands.
That was more a joke about why are we even calling them waterfalls.

Check behind Daisy. It could just be a painting error, but it sure seems like that section specifically is closer to the leak version than the current version.

Anyway, folks, I'm gonna head to work. I'll be back in a few hours to pointlessly ask for updates.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Me @ watching all of you being whipped into a frenzy over this leak, guest-starring my mans Bert:

4RGnHUk.gif

This is also a friendly reminder to keep things cool, collected, and on-topic. We are watching this thread closely.

/end mod voice

Smooth Criminal

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The weird thing is, Marina hasn't been proved to be connected to The Grinch either, so if fake they faker could have faked the connection to Grinch as well. Could ACTUALLY be an NDA thing though because they denied being connected to Nintendo but not Universal.
It also begs the question of who the **** makes commercial grade Grinch promotions for fun if we go along with the line of thinking that argues this is a giant hoax. That's technically a legal liability too if the person wasn't cleared by Universal to make them, given how they could be false advertising or used for bootleg products so, dear reader, that means for this to be totally fake that the person willingly showed off their work station where they make copyrighted counterfeits and... Do you see how convoluted this is getting? Again, the leaker is either a moron of legendary proportions or a chaotic evil nihilist if completely fake.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Considering it's gotten the first hybrid boss/AT in series history, was big before and now lays claim to the top selling title in Capcom's history as a company, and Capcom in generally seemingly being very easy/willing to work with (Street Fighter gaining 30 more songs while FF still has only 2 comes to mind, on top of being the first publisher with two characters in Smash)... I don't see how MH is anything other than one of the safest bets for 3rd party DLC. It definitely blocks off every other Capcom series.
It's not something that has a lot of "steam" so to speak in regards to a Smash setting. With 3rd party candidates that would cause a lot more hype like Sora, Crash, Rayman, Lloyd, and Heihachi, it's hard for me to see an MH character but i'm not saying it can't happen. Just that I don't see it happening.

Of course i'll gladly eat my words if it does happen, rest assured.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I swear if the Grinch Leak turns out to be fake I will trust no leak anymore unless there is video of footage involved.
Even videos can be fake

Oh gotcha. Didn't realize that quote was that old.
Yeah...also didn’t help with Banjo Kazooie being kinda dead aswell, but more so due to Microsoft owning them (Bayo is owned by Sega and Nintendo while Platinum Games gets to make her games)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Someone please post the August direct mural so we can stop this “background changed” discussion. Theres an easy way to prove/disprove it, but y’all keep posting a bad version of an image we have a good quality version of.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Snapchat videos can only be viewed once before they auto-delete, and they only stay up for a couple hours.

Seriously. have you guys never used popular social media platforms like these? I saw posts like this all the time and 4chan as well, where people question the validity of the leak, simply cause they're ignorant of how Snapchat work.

In short, it's made for nudes and **** pics (not officially, but that's what most people use it for anyways). Send out your pic/video, and don't worry about it "leaking" as it'll autodelete and can't be recovered once it's seen. Ofc as you can see with this leak, it's not foolproof, there are way to snag some screencaps of whatever it is you sent if you're quick/clever enough.

So no, the original video is most definitely gone forever, and it not existing anyone isn't any "proof" of the images being fake, as the very nature of Snapchat makes it basically impossible to recover any video you've seen. We're lucky to even have these screen.
While on Team Real, to be honest, and I may be showing my age, I don't use Snapchat that much so 90% of it is elusive to me (no clue how video works or how they stitched things together). It just makes me so glad, real or fake, that the Grinch was in this so that it would be The Grinch leak rather than the Snapchat leak. Much more meme potential. :grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom