• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We have reply bait now?

Can we switch the subject? This place is starting to get way too toxic now.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I think I'm either "that NieR Guy" or "that Emil Guy" seeing as whenever anything pertaining to Nier comes up, people either @ me (like that one time someone found out Keiichi Okabe made a song for Smash) or expect me to show up out of nowhere and reply to their post, and fade away back into the darkness once Nier is no longer the topic.

Plus, you know, my profile icon.
Sure, you wear your Nier love on your sleeve, but you've never been obnoxious about it. I say everyone should be able to embrace and express their "nerdom," as long as they don't obsessively force it down people's throats :laugh:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think I'm either "that NieR Guy" or "that Emil Guy" seeing as whenever anything pertaining to Nier comes up, people either @ me (like that one time someone found out Keiichi Okabe made a song for Smash) or expect me to show up out of nowhere and reply to their post, and fade away back into the darkness once Nier is no longer the topic.

Plus, you know, my profile icon. And my signature... And my username... And my-- You get the clue.
I'm the guy who draws his own icons in a distinctive and colorful art style.

Nah just kidding, i'm the meme guy.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Who would be the most "wtf!?" reveal for everyone? I don't mean who you're most excited or hyped for if they were to be announced, but characters who'd shock you out of disbelief or confusion.

For me the craziest thing would be Waluigi being playable, and the assist trophy was just Nintendo playing the long con. Other wtf characters would be a Goron or Tostarenan.

Shroob

Sup?
I like how there's like, one or two people who are like, "Well Luigi's grab may make him a worse character because...."

And then there's the rest of us who really could care less about how it affects him competitively and just think it's cool that Luigi's Mansion gets more representation.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I was reflecting on the blog comments and contrasting it with a pair of conversations I had a couple weeks ago, when I was mentioned how surprised I was that I was enjoying the "ceremonial" blog posts much more than banging F5 at midnight every weekday of 2007.

It fits a larger trend of "As I've gotten older, I've come to enjoy ceremony more." When you're young you want to speed things up so much, so often, and then you start hitting points in your life where you want to slow things down--and can't. And there's this gradual realization that appreciating things is hard, that taking them for granted is the natural equilibrium, and that all happiness you obtain gradually slides into that void.

Ergo, ceremony. It all felt awful to me as a kid. Sitting still while the same thing happens. Always the same as the last graduation/church service/funeral/wedding/award ceremony/whatever. Nothing new, just a rehash. Surely as I got older, these repeats would get even more annoying, right?

But these days it's a respite to have a moment to one's self, where the world is on pause. And I enjoy having moments of forced appreciation: "Maybe I shouldn't let this wedding slip into the noise of just another day."

Without realizing, I had begun adopting this attitude towards the smash blog. I'd take a moment to reflect on the character of the day, and their history in Melee/Brawl/4. What was my favorite thing about them? When was the last time I played against that character in a tournament? Who was the best player of that character I ever played against? Or watched? What was my favorite set that I can remember, playing or watching?

New Pokemon days are kind of a dud for me, and sometimes a stage like Onett doesn't exactly have a treasure trove of memories. But on the whole it's been a pleasant countdown to (the very close) release date.

Now, those rapid-fire 25 minute Directs though--those made me feel like a kid again.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Heihachi is cooler than your skimpy robot girl chief
There is nothing cooler than robots. Except other robots.

And maybe Robot Heihachi.

No clue who I'd be--wish I had a character I could be passionate about. :upsidedown:
Well, I think the difference between us two, and the other "that ___ guy"s is that even though we're passionate and clearly obsess over that one franchise or character, we don't try to bring it up every chance we get and we're not delusional about it. When we are, we at least realize it.

Zinith Zinith is pretty sensible and self aware about it though.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
A few people on here might do well to remember that not everyone wants to talk about "your" character all the time. It seems relatively common courtesy to abstain from imposing repetitive conversation regarding any singular subject, as it can easily become irritating to others.

The least of which is it certainly won't help draw people to your cause.

I know this is the internet, but a little empathy won't hurt.
And empathy should be a two way street. The way some people treat each other for being passionate, even going as far as saying "they're not people" even as a joke is disgusting, and one of the reasons why I thought about leaving these forums. Not everyone wants to talk about Kencineroar in Smash, and so long as they're tangentially related to Smash, I'm fine with it. Because having someone dictate what characters are relevant and which ones are not, especially with Goku being brought up, the onus is on the people to either ignore it or change the topic, because they're the ones who make it spiral out of control by being aggressively annoyed about it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I was reflecting on the blog comments and contrasting it with a pair of conversations I had a couple weeks ago, when I was mentioned how surprised I was that I was enjoying the "ceremonial" blog posts much more than banging F5 at midnight every weekday of 2007.

It fits a larger trend of "As I've gotten older, I've come to enjoy ceremony more." When you're young you want to speed things up so much, so often, and then you start hitting points in your life where you want to slow things down--and can't. And there's this gradual realization that appreciating things is hard, that taking them or granted is the natural equilibrium, and that all happiness you obtain gradually slides into that void.

Ergo, ceremony. It all felt awful to me as a kid. Sitting still while the same thing happens. Always the same as the last graduation/church service/funeral/wedding/award ceremony/whatever. Nothing new, just a rehash. Surely as I got older, these repeats would get even more annoying, right?

But these days it's a respite to have a moment to one's self, where the world is on pause. And I enjoy having moments of forced appreciation: "Maybe I shouldn't let this wedding slip into the noise of just another day."

Without realizing, I had begun adopting this attitude towards the smash blog. I'd take a moment to reflect on the character of the day, and their history in Melee/Brawl/4. What was my favorite thing about them? When was the last time I played against that character in a tournament? Who was the best player of that character I ever played against? Or watched? What was my favorite set that I can remember, playing or watching?

New Pokemon days are kind of a dud for me, and sometimes a stage like Onett doesn't exactly have a treasure trove of memories. But on the whole it's been a pleasant countdown to (the very close) release date.

Now, those rapid-fire 25 minute Directs though--those made me feel like a kid again.
Yeah this is incredibly wise actually.

As a young poster myself I'm definitely in the speedy phase. I'm anticipating something that will literally happen October next year. I want everything to speed up, including the lead-up to Ultimate. But I'm looking back now like "...E3 was THAT long ago???"

The Directs really do have a way of making you feel young and excited. Great post.

D

Deleted member

Given my avatars and choice of reaction images/videos, I'm pretty sure I'm known as the Splatoon and pony guy around here by now, lol.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Who would be the most "wtf!?" reveal for everyone? I don't mean who you're most excited or hyped for if they were to be announced, but characters who'd shock you out of disbelief or confusion.

For me the craziest thing would be Waluigi being playable, and the assist trophy was just Nintendo playing the long con. Other wtf characters would be a Goron or Tostarenan.
For me personally, DOOM guy. The biggest WTF.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Aside from Dr.Eggman, Perfect Chaos could make for a really interesting boss fight.

Lord knows the boy needs it after the disrespect Sonic Forces gave him.
I wonder how that would work, Perfect Chaos puts Ridley’s size to shame.

Perfect Chaos? lol might as well add Perfect Cell!
“A video game character? Lol might as well put in a manga villain!”

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I don’t really have any heavy bias towards/against any characters. I’ve had a couple of Michael Jackson avatars, so I guess I could be called “the MJ guy.” I don’t think he counts, though.

Doesn't even matter if it's a tether or not. Even if it's just a visual difference, I'm still on cloud 9.

Luigi's Mansion was my childhood, and is a series near and dear to me. Seeing Luigi use it for something outside of a Final Smash is legitimately making me as happy as I was to see Inklings make it on to the roster.
Now this is ****ing adorable. Gets a 10/10 on the wholesome scale.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Happy 22nd everyone.

Another week of people holding their breath at 10 AM EST and then going "aw man who coulda seen that coming"

Iridium

Smash Hero
Grabs, throws.

I just like that he's using the Poltergust
It sometimes seems so apparent that casuals have less things in Smash to worry about, and more things to have fun with. Yeah, the competitive scene is just that constricted, really.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Regarding "being known for" discussion, Since I have started posting here, What I am to you guys?

Also, I can respect Zinith as Yoshi Guy because he's cool and y'all don't deny it yet.

D

Deleted member

Given my avatars and choice of reaction images/videos, I'm pretty sure I'm known as the Splatoon and pony guy around here by now, lol.
I think I've worked enough to get street cred. By that, I mean play Wii Music, A.K.A. The Game That Killed Nintendo. :4pacman:

LetterO

Smash Lord
What are your guys' thoughts on Chorus Kids or any other Rhythm Heaven rep? In terms of how likely they are and if you want them

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Regarding "being known for" discussion, Since I have started posting here, What I am to you guys?

Also, I can respect Zinith as Yoshi Guy because he's cool and y'all don't deny it yet.
The guy who reminds me of how Hussie disrespected Spades Slick every day through no fault of his own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom