• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ahh so you're telling me we cna't have Heihachi who's a unique karate fighter with electricity based abilities and a villainous fighter but we SHOULD have Nightmare over him, who's a unique swordfighter with swordbased abilities and a villainous fighter

hmmmm
There's also that PSASBR already had him. :p

That and Heihachi looks generic whereas Nightmare has a wicked cool design. I admit this is bias on my part.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
>Sakurai in Wrestling outfit

Thanks for giving me mental images THAT I do not need to see ever.
What are you talking about? Sakurai is ripped. He could take on Segata Sanshiro and Chuck Norris in a 2 v 1 fight while wearing a blindfold.
What are you talking about? He's got two guns right here.
I've always called him grandpa on roids.
Old man roidley.

Wily if he took the brawns over brains route.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Speaking of era. What were everyone's favorite era?

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
It's difficult to say because each game means something to me, outside of Melee as I never owned a Gamecube.

1. Ultimate Era: What I care about most is the characters, and now everyone's back, and so many returning stages to boot!
2. Brawl Era: With Sonic joining the battle and an interesting story mode (even if the gameplay was lackluster), also has my favorite theme.
3. N64 Era: The nostalgic era, as this was the first Nintendo console that was truly mine--feels like an N64 character is missing though ;)
4. Sm4sh Era: My favorite roster pre-Ultimate, but after my friends and I played it for a bit, I had no reason to play it on my own once they moved.
5. Melee Era: Did not own a Gamecube, so I know very little of this era--interested to see the returning Melee stuff in Ultimate.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>Kirito

We can't be friends anymore
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll be eating your words when our lord and savior graces this game with his presence what the actual **** am I even saying at this point?
Because Kirito's a pansy who can't actually fight in real life.
Like Joker

If you're gonna bring in the black swordsman, bring the REAL one.

G U T S
Guts would be pretty cool tbh.

I'm gonna ignore the Joker remark for your sake.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly?
Pretty unlikely.

The fact that the RH community can't even consolidate on a single definitive representative is telling of the difficulties one would have to go through to design a character that represents the rhythm heaven franchise and has such a limited amount of actions alone in their actual games. Even Duck Hunt had to draw from several other NES games and Ice Climbers had to be made from the ground up with a "hammer+ice" moveset.
You brought up Duck Hunt, but I think that's kind of an unfair comparison. Duck Hunt is a single game with like one side mode, while RH series have over 100 minigames to pull a moveset from. So a better comparison would be with G&W, which actually improves RH's chances imo. Sakurai made a full character out of several small games included in G&W franchise, so he can do the same for RH.

The moveset can be completed pretty easily, it's just that the community is indecisive on which character should HAVE that moveset.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
Smash For era. For all fandom problems, there was a neat sense of "anyone can get in", since we got characters from so many different franchises. Seeing game development up-close via Pic of the Day was cool, newcomers were inspiring and it was unique in sense that we got two games.

Helps I liked a lot of characters. 3DS is still my favorite Smash after Brawl but maybe Ultimate will change that.

If any anime character should get in its Deku.
Finally, a man with culture.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Sm4sh Era. By default.
Since I was too young/not alive during the other 3.
And Ultimate is just getting started.
I needed my weekly dose of Don't You Feel Old Now, though that was a particularly strong dose. I'll be fine, though my bones are starting to ache. :rotfl:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I would actually main Deku (Midoriya Izuku before anyone makes a "Deku Scrub lol" joke) day 1 if he were to get in.

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
Easily the Ultimate Era, because while the fandom is still as impatient and unwilling to debate so much as scream at anyone who disagrees with them, there's a good amount of sensible people who I can actually speak with.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I needed my weekly dose of Don't You Feel Old Now, though that was a particularly strong dose. I'll be fine, though my bones are starting to ache. :rotfl:
I'm too young for first two games and I discovered Brawl late. *shrugs* Playing video games don't have an age.

Wake me up as soon as Heihachi can summon spectral horses.
Do you want me to wake you up inside, too?

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
That would be brilliant, honestly. I love the guy, especially in all of his KH appearances.

"FEEL THE HEAT!"

I love his quotes
The Disney Hades is more iconic than the one from Kid Icarus, seriously everytime I hear that name Hades the first thing I think is that bad guy from Hercules.

When I hear about Medusa, I think Medusa from Kid Icarus.. Oh and that Medusa and Hemlock song by Cradle of Filth, so therefore Medusa is indeed iconic.. Cant wait to see her in Smash!

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
Brawl era.

Because there is still absolutely NO FEELING in this entire world that has yet to beat out me waking up and checking the Dojo only to see :sonic: staring back at me.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Honestly?
Pretty unlikely.

The fact that the RH community can't even consolidate on a single definitive representative is telling of the difficulties one would have to go through to design a character that represents the rhythm heaven franchise and has such a limited amount of actions alone in their actual games. Even Duck Hunt had to draw from several other NES games and Ice Climbers had to be made from the ground up with a "hammer+ice" moveset.
It’s been agreed upon for quite a while that a RH character would work like Duck Hunt and G&W and pull from the over 100 rhythm games in the franchise. The problem is that with many characters from RH, we don’t know who would have that moveset. Seeing the scrapped RH character in Smash 4, obviously Sakurai chose someone who I assume is Chorus Kids due to Gematsu.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The Disney Hades is more iconic than the one from Kid Icarus, seriously everytime I hear that name Hades the first thing I think is that bad guy from Hercules.

When I hear about Medusa, I think Medusa from Kid Icarus.. Oh and that Medusa and Hemlock song by Cradle of Filth, so therefore Medusa is indeed iconic.. Cant wait to see her in Smash!
What happens if she doesn’t get in.

NineS

Smash Lord

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
I want to say Sm4sh Era, but...

Nothing. Nothing at all will beat that reveal at the end of E3. That alone is making this all worth it.

Well, okay, maybe Nier can beat Ridley's reveal for me, but until then, Ridley is the reason Ultimate is the best to me, even in this drought.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
If I had one choice of any anime character to add to Smash, I'd add good ol' Lina Inverse. Her destructive powers as a mage are nearly unrivaled, and she's feisty to boot.

tumblr_n49i3zQQt41qd99c3o1_400.gif

If you haven't watched Slayers before, give it a shot! It really is quite good. ;)

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
If I had to choose just one strictly by the games themselves, I think I'd actually choose the Sm4sh Era, honestly. Most of my favorite characters were present for it, and Mewtwo returned to me by way of DLC, so that satisfied me more than enough. I gotta give props to the Brawl Era though, because the feeling of seeing both Snake and Sonic enter Smash was one I'll never forget, plus the Dojo was my most favorite way of checking for daily Smash updates.

Ultimate Era is shaping up very nicely though. The reason I don't choose it is simply because it hasn't released yet, and it wouldn't be fair of me to choose it at this time, though having Everyone Here on top of some excellent newcomers is not something to be denied. Plus, being part of the community has been a blast, and Ultimate helped me in that respect, so major points for it in that alone.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This just sounds so amazing and wondrous. Wish I was there for it. I would've been going insane.
When you're 13 years old and constantly being bullied for still liking Nintendo games and Sonic games, There was no better feeling than seeing this. As pathetic as it sounds, I think Sonic being announced helped keep me going through a lot of the rough **** a kid like me had to put up with during that time.

Not to mention Brawl's launch. My first all-nighter with 4 of my best buds. Such a great time.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I give this choice an A+ Ultra!
He does remind me of Pit in some cases too. Honorable mention to liking Ochaco.

As for the "era" question earlier, I guess the Brawl era. Just going on that site from time to time, checking out new information and all, some gameplay footage and music from time to time would come up, And I remember that Ridley theme was rockin' back then. Plus it was the first big time where Pit caught my attention, not to mention I miss his ability to glide. Plus not many admit it, but SSE was pretty interesting to say the least, with different character interactions, and more. Angry Bowser attacking the Ganon trophy was also so hilarious. It's been over 10 years now since that time it seems, and sometimes I imagine what the game would be like if it actually had patches and no random tripping.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Wow, haven't posted here in a while... I'm actually starting to lose hype since we haven't heard anything new in a while. At least there is another blog tidbit - Luigi's got the Poltergust in his grabs now.

I guess I'll get back into it with some games...
---

Drums. Slow drums. And building from there...

As above - Dovahkiin.

Also Tails and someone from Soul Calibur (Ivy, preferably, but I'd be okay with Nightmare is he had a Siegfried costume)

Zelda, and it's terribly represented in Smash. Yes, it's got a lot of stages and items, which aren't exactly needed - some of the items (mostly the Skyward Sword ones) aren't iconic and don't need to exist, and some stages are redundant or not from iconic games. Meanwhile, the entire playable cast is made up of all of three unique movesets and three clones, one of which is the only clone from a different franchise (which was a totally Smash-original moveset to begin with). With as important of a series as Zelda is to Nintendo (there aren't many series which can win E3 with a single game), and with as many memorable characters, the playable roster should be a lot more varied.

If I had my way, I'd do the following:
Playables: Link (BotW/TP), Zelda/Sheik (OoT), Ganondorf (HW), Midna (TP), Skull Kid (MM), Toon Link (WW)
Assists: Ghirahim, Moon, Champions
Remove Beetle, Cucco, Fairy Bottle, and Gust Bellows items. Cucco can stay a regular enemy.
Remove Spirit Train stage
What are your thoughts on the current state of the Zelda series itself? I'm not talking about how it's represented in Smash.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Because I have no life without Ultimate, I went ahead and made the most current list of fighters the Blog hasn't put up yet. Only 15 left. At the current rate of 3 per week, we have five weeks left if they want to give everyone a post before the game launches. Because we don't have the time to do that without doing multiple characters a day, I think it's safe to say there will be a few getting their spotlight post-launch.

Rosalina & Luma
Diddy Kong
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Robin
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Little Mac
Bayonetta
Pac-Man

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
My Ashley days are behind me, mate. I'm all in on Incineroar and Geno.
Aw. Come on! Don't be like that. There's still a chance that some of the Assist Trophy characters like Waluigi and Ashley could become playable characters for DLC, right? It would be a very Sakurai thing to do. Besides, if Incineroar got into Smash and not Ashley, that would just not feel right...

NineS

Smash Lord
I remember Brawl, it remains to be one of my favorite Eras.
If it wasn't for Brawl, I would've likely been an entirely different person today.

I've had plenty of Nintendo consoles before the Wii, but I've also had Playstations before the Wii too.
I had a PS3, and it had just stopped working for reasons I can't remember, so I was planning to buy either a Wii or an Xbox 360.

Had I gotten the Xbox, I would likely not even be on these boards or be passionate about many of the games I am about today.

What made me get a Wii instead of the Xbox or another PS3 in the end? Brawl. I could watch Sonic's reveal trailer on endless loop back then and it'd hype me up. It was like a childhood dream come true. It didn't have cinematics nearly as great as Melee did with it's intro, but the music was off the charts for me.

I'm pretty glad I went with the Wii in the end. It made a huge difference in terms of who I could have become...
Plus, you know. Going through the Red Ring of Death would've stunk. Only regret about getting the Wii over the Xbox is the fact I was introduced to Nier way later than I'd like to admit.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well if we're going to make an anime fighter, literally, my first choice would be Guts. Obviously, I've already said that so going to my other choice.

Ippo from Hajime no Ippo.

Look at any shonen and you'll see some dumb punk with magical powers and special abilities he never worked a day in his life for blasting death balls and laser beams at whatever monster of the week is there.
Ippo's the opposite of that.
He's shonen distilled to its absolute purest form: a simple guy who works hard to beat other people up in a fair one on one boxing match. Nothing more nothing less. His ultimate attack? He punches you. Left, right, over and over and over again until you fall. ****ing. Awesome.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, I'm just looking back through the Smash Dojo for the hell of it.

Remember when stuff like this was newsworthy? It's a different world from 10 years ago, I tell ya.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Wait, Luigi's grab has the Poltergust now!?

YES! I've been asking for that since back in the Smash 4 days.

I'll miss his old throws (assuming they're gone), but I can't wait to see how his grabs have changed.

Though, I hope having the Poltergust in his grabs doesn't make his grabs worse.

Also, Zinith Zinith it looks like Yoshi is gonna be the last 64 character after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom