• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Aw. Come on! Don't be like that. There's still a chance that some of the Assist Trophy characters like Waluigi and Ashley could become playable characters for DLC, right? It would be a very Sakurai thing to do. Besides, if Incineroar got into Smash and not Ashley, that would just not feel right...
I really don't think any assist trophies are gonna be upgraded to fighters in this game, unfortunately. Besides, Incineroar and Geno are good enough for me!

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I would actually main Deku (Midoriya Izuku before anyone makes a "Deku Scrub lol" joke) day 1 if he were to get in.

Easily the Ultimate Era, because while the fandom is still as impatient and unwilling to debate so much as scream at anyone who disagrees with them, there's a good amount of sensible people who I can actually speak with.
I'm glad I joined the fandom when I did. I like (most of) you guys.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Man, I'm just looking back through the Smash Dojo for the hell of it.

Remember when stuff like this was newsworthy? It's a different world from 10 years ago, I tell ya.
I love the tone of the posts on the Brawl Dojo. Every post felt like Sakurai sitting down with you and explaining whatever feature was up for the day. Each post had a good amount of detail and care to them as well.

Nowadays we have directs to fill in that void, and I love them for sure, but I still feel all warm and nostalgic inside reading those Dojo posts.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
>People still think Waluigi and Ashley has a shot as DLC.

Y'all can't just wait for the next game can't you?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Aw. Come on! Don't be like that. There's still a chance that some of the Assist Trophy characters like Waluigi and Ashley could become playable characters for DLC, right? It would be a very Sakurai thing to do. Besides, if Incineroar got into Smash and not Ashley, that would just not feel right...
By "a very Sakurai thing to do", do you mean "he never done or talked about that before, even though there was speculation that he'd do it"?

Also, why are we comparing Incineroar and Ashley, they don't have anything to do with each other.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I really don't think any assist trophies are gonna be upgraded to fighters in this game, unfortunately. Besides, Incineroar and Geno are good enough for me!
I still have a bit of hope that a WarioWare Switch where Ashley is featured in a major role comes out right in time for Sakurai to consider her for DLC, but like you, I've also pretty much moved on to other characters. I can't help but still daydream about Ashley's reveal, however.

Edit: I still think disregarding a character for DLC just because they are an assist trophy is absolutely stupid and another silly fan rule bound to be broken

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That isn't a Sakurai thing to do

I fail to see how Incineroar, a prominent character from Pokemon, getting in feels less "right" than Ashley, a side character from a spin-off. I understand why you feel that way but I'm not sure it's especially valid objectively.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
I think the biggest twist Sakurai could do, something bigger than letting Assist Trophies transition over to Fighters in the same game, is having the game actually have secret fighters and him having lied about there being none.

Wishful thinking, but man would it catch us all off guard.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Plus if Waluigi and Ashley gets that treatment then people are gonna start asking for other Assist Trophies to be promoted which wouldn't be fair for them. Which is why if anything its best for them to star in the next game even if 1/3 of the roster is gone.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are you serious?

Please tell me you're not serious.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Speaking of era. What were everyone's favorite era?

N64 Era
Melee Era
Brawl Era
Sm4sh Era
Ultimate Era
Probably Sm4sh. Even though Ultimate is obviously going to render it obsolete, the hype season for Sm4sh just felt so much better than what we're going through right now. E3 2013 kicked things off with Villager and MEGA MAN. Then they followed it up with Wii Fit Trainer which was such a hilarious yet brilliant inclusion. It's even funnier when you look at how mad her inclusion made certain people feel. Little Mac was fantastic. I remember how so many people thought that Greninja was going to be Mewtwo when he was first revealed. That was funny. E3 2014 had that awesome Mii trailer with Reggie and Iwata (R.I.P.). It was kind of weird that Pac-Man was shown behind closed doors though. The Robin trailer was amazing. Gematsu got wrecked, and Captain Falcon's return was hype as well. And all of that was just the pre-release season. DLC was where things got absolutely insane. FREAKING CLOUD STRIFE. I still can't believe it happened. And although Corrin's inclusion was underwhelming, I don't mind the character now. Bayonetta, though. I'm still so happy she got in. All the people who claim she didn't win the Ballot fair and square can stay salty. All in all, the Sm4sh era was fantastic, and I'll never forget it. A shame the game itself left much to be desired though. Fortunately, Ultimate is shaping up to be incredible despite the lackluster hype season we're going through right now. And once DLC rolls around, it should become much better.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the biggest twist Sakurai could do, something bigger than letting Assist Trophies transition over to Fighters in the same game, is having the game actually have secret fighters and him having lied about there being none.

Wishful thinking, but man would it catch us all off guard.
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't want that. There are already way too many people calling Sakurai a liar.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Regarding "being known for" discussion, Since I have started posting here, What I am to you guys?

Also, I can respect Zinith as Yoshi Guy because he's cool and y'all don't deny it yet.
I christen thee "The Dude With Weird Devil Kid Thingy Reaction Images"

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
would interested in someone who knows japanese taking a look at the luigi blog post to find out if the original japanese text sheds any light on if he has a tether-type grab now or just uses the poltergust in some/all of his throw animations

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
would interested in someone who knows japanese taking a look at the luigi blog post to find out if the original japanese text sheds any light on if he has a tether-type grab now or just uses the poltergust in some/all of his throw animations
I used google translate and it talks about an octopus

"By throwing, a new type of octopus will also appear! "

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Favorite era? I've only been part of the fanbase for Smash 4 and Ultimate's hype cycle.

Honestly, I'm liking this hype cycle much better tbpfh, solely because "Everyone is Here!" was pretty much a death sentence to "WHO GONNA GET CUT?" discussions, which fill me with anxiety like nothing else.

NineS

Smash Lord
According to Source Gaming
To be honest though, I don't think it matters.
Either way, we know it's used for his throws, but in no way does it shine on if it's used for grabs or tether grabs. Skeptical of it being a tether grab, but I'd assume it works for his grabs.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As much as I nearly lost my mind from :ultsonic: in Brawl.
Smash 4 Made me feel like almost anyone could get in. There was no 2-3 3rd party limit. And one of them being a favor.
:ultmegaman: got in at a time when everyone thought Capcom was out to kill the Franchise.
And :ultlittlemac:was revealed after months of wishing, and trying to convincente people that the ring stage was from Punch Out. I almost dropped my laptop when I caught a glimpse of his taunt at the end (because lag).

And I had fun with each new character reveal. Except :ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:. I really despised these. More so ending the game content on this note.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Someone earlier mentioned it just meant "throw"

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Also, why are we comparing Incineroar and Ashley, they don't have anything to do with each other.
I feel like Ashley would be more deserving to get into Smash, because she's been around longer and people have been wanting her for quite some time. I still remember the first time Ashley was revealed to be an AT character in Smash 4, and many people from Miiverse, 4chan, and this site were disappointed she didn't make it in. Incineroar has barely existed for two years, and from what I've seen on various forums, far fewer people want him than not. Most of us just merely expect him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Ashley would be more deserving to get into Smash, because she's been around longer and people have been wanting her for quite some time. I still remember the first time Ashley was revealed to be an AT character in Smash 4, and many people from Miiverse, 4chan, and this site were disappointed she didn't make it in. Incineroar has barely existed for two years, and from what I've seen on various forums, far fewer people want him than not. Most of us just merely expect him.
Tell that to Corrin.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I do hope though that the poltergust really is just for his throw. I feel like having it as his grab would be another PAC-MAN situation.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That isn't a Sakurai thing to do

I fail to see how Incineroar, a prominent character from Pokemon, getting in feels less "right" than Ashley, a side character from a spin-off. I understand why you feel that way but I'm not sure it's especially valid objectively.
You just defended my boy by dissing my girl.

I'm so conflicted right now.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel like Luigi has to use the poltergust to grab though, right? I mean, is he really just going to stuff a character in there instead of sucking them, which is like, the main feature of the poltergust?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
>People still think Waluigi and Ashley has a shot as DLC.

Y'all can't just wait for the next game can't you?
Why wait for the next game when nothing is stopping them from being DLC other than an arbitrary and nonsensical fan rule?
Plus if Waluigi and Ashley gets that treatment then people are gonna start asking for other Assist Trophies to be promoted which wouldn't be fair for them. Which is why if anything its best for them to star in the next game even if 1/3 of the roster is gone.
That's laughable logic. "We shouldn't get newcomers in general because then people will ask for more."

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Look what Sassy Geno's death has done to us
sassy geno died for our sins, and yet we keep on sinning
edit: i keep accidentally opening old pages and not seeing the post dates oops

Last edited: