• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm gonna make a bold statement. If Yoshi didn't make it in Smash in the first place, he'd be the most requested character by far. He'd make Ridley and K. Rool's support look small in comparison
You aren't wrong.

Imagine if Bowser wasn't in Melee. Good luck talking about any character getting into Brawl that isn't Bowser.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I just thought of something. What if Luigi's Poltergust doesn't suck in opponents but instead uses the Plunger as a tether grab?
That'd be interesting, but a total misrepresentation of the poltergust and waste of potential lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh Boy...more Etika “hate” and Inceneroar hate...and bandwagon talks
Yeah Etika, the guy that flips out over everything...
“Everything”
I'm pretty sure Etika has no sincere emotions.
He cried when he got Tharja killed and cried at the ending of XC2
We hating on Incineroar?

View attachment 171062

I personally don’t have any strong feelings either way. Just ****posting.
That doesn’t seem appetizing

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean you're right about most of that to an extent but
- Young Link in left handed (and Toon Link)
-Simon and Richter throw axes and villager swings an axe
-casting magic from health is a stupid mechanic but I guess you could make an argument for pichu doing that
-Corrin's sword has spear like elements - mainly his side special
-...a rapier, doesn't lucina and marth wield one?
Let me rephrase the "one" to "Lord" then.
And either way, most of those points are really stretching it.

You get the point though, and that's really all that matters: "Anyone can be unique if you describe them as such."

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Good for you, but I'm not interested in a Smash game where characters get in purely on the basis of being economically convenient.
And every character has its fans, no matter how niche. Smash appeals to those crowds and gets more people interested in those characters.

And then there's characters that character nobody even KNOWS about. Whose """fans""" can't even point to a single reason they want other than "uhhh they look cool."

Not like those fans even matter because they would've gotten in regardless of what they or anyone else wanted.
Smash is the perfect marketing platform for Nintendo - all our 'requests' that get in always lead for the character that got ins main game getting more sales.
Your fooling yourself if you think smash is going to only introduce 'old' characters that we request when their sales aren't going to benefit Nintendo at the current time.

on a side note, Corrin is cool - I enjoy him/her in his/her game and his/her character in smash, s/he is just another fire emblem character we never saw before just like roy was back in melee, or Ness back in N64.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Corrin is a well designed and fun fighter. I’d understand not wanting more fire emblem characters, but it’s undeniable this game has always had an aspect of advertising for other games. Sure Fire Emblem is overdone but it is what it is, and at the very least the most recent fire emblem fighters (aside from echoes which take no time or slots), Robin and Corrin are both well designed and unique enough to deserve a spot on the roster in my personal opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Good for you, but I'm not interested in a Smash game where characters get in purely on the basis of being economically convenient.
And every character has its fans, no matter how niche. Smash appeals to those crowds and gets more people interested in those characters.

And then there's characters that character nobody even KNOWS about. Whose """fans""" can't even point to a single reason they want other than "uhhh they look cool."

Not like those fans even matter because they would've gotten in regardless of what they or anyone else wanted.
Yeah, sure :ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultrob: had their fans.

Everybody is free to have their own ideas about newcomers, but in the end, this is a fighting game, sometimes an interesting fighting style is all you need and not every fighter has to serve a higher purpose.

And hey guys, Mario fans don't matter, He'd get in anyway.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would have definitely thrown Cloud over the ledge for K. Rool.
Great now I got this mental image of King K. Rool being Scar and Cloud being Mufasa.

I do know there is an image of the Scar's and Mufasa's heads having the Mii (King K. Rool) and King K. Rool pasted over.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
No, but it IS their fault for including a character SOLEY ON THE BASIS OF PROMOTING THEIR GAME RATHER THAN ANY FAN DEMAND.
You have the most iconic and influential mascot fighter on the ****ing planet and this is what you do with your resources? ADVERTISING!?

HOW ABOUT YOU ADD CHARACTERS PEOPLE ASK FOR, FIRST?
And no, I don't believe the 4 months of Fates Japan-only release was enough time for Smash to simultaneously find out if Japan loved him (which I doubt) and develop him at the same time.

For shame.
Might as well add the 3 Three Houses heroes and Byleth for all the difference they make.
Corrin was a tragic case of a decent character simply being added at the wrong time. I feel silly for being upset about his/her inclusion earlier I have to admit.

StormC

Smash Hero
Great now I got this mental image of King K. Rool being Scar and Cloud being Mufasa.
Once I get Ultimate, remind me to take a screencap of this.

God you have no idea how happy it makes me to have K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, Cloud, and Snake all in the same game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hate Corrin's moveset over anything.
I can live with Bayo jank. But a freaking impale move that comes out in the blink of an eye... A hitbox while she charges Fsmash, and a mouth wall when she fires that Dragon Crap (not to mention the mouth closing) gives me some serious anger management issues.
The wings with a mile long hitbox, and a counter that kills at 10%.
The annoying nair that catches air-dodge. The down air that tears through anything and pushes away. The ungimpable recovery.

Every move she has was hand tailored to **** me off.

Hopefully my boy :ultsimon: Will have the necessarily tools to deal with her. Can't wait to whip her on the a... Way back from her pin.

Ugh... Corrin... Brings out they worst of me. I'll just sleep it off.

StormC

Smash Hero
Bayonetta at least was fun to play as. I couldn't get into Corrin's moveset at all.

Ike is basically the only FE character I actively enjoy playing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bayonetta at least was fun to play as. I couldn't get into Corrin's moveset at all.

Ike is basically the only FE character I actively enjoy playing.
I enjoy Robin most but Ike and Roy are fun too.

And I should play as Bayo more this time, she's cool.

Polan

Smash Lord
That's a little narcissistic
its a joke m8. way too many people around here love to throw the "bandwagon" label on every other character's support except their own because their character's support is completely and totally grassroots and 100% organic. at the end of the day all character's have their fair share of bandwagoners so trying to act like you are above it all is funny as hell.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't see a coffee machine around here, why are some of you suddenly so bitter?
Because. The lack of any new character announcements and such is driving the community insane.

We've pretty much exhausted almost any discussion that already had been talked about.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
its a joke m8. way too many people around here love to throw the "bandwagon" label on every other character's support except their own because their character's support is completely and totally grassroots and 100% organic. at the end of the day all character's have their fair share of bandwagoners so trying to act like you are above it all is funny as hell.
The game wasn't even out anywhere but Japan

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For anyone who's interested, I found a good match between Marth and Mega Man:

Honestly, this is like the first Mega Man gameplay I've seen in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think the problem is:

The ballot was rigged from the start according to recent findings in datamining, and it was moreso made to gauge character interest for THIS game, not 4's.

The fact that Corrin was put in moreso for advertising, and Bayonetta "WON", while characters like K.Rool, which, we now know had a HUGE ballot presence due to Sakurai's own words, really left a bitter taste in people's mouths.

We're reaping the benefits of the ballot NOW, but back then, the entire ordeal didn't sit right with a lot of people.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
They had nothing to judge the character off of with their own experience. Just images and youtube videos

I'm sure those people posting English images were all in Japan
"You can only support a character if you have adequate experience with said character in a video game."

gosh the gatekeeping is way too strong with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom