• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly I'm surprised people were still expecting K. Rool as DLC after the costume. I took it as a solid deconfirmation.

I didn't know what we were getting, but I sure as heck didn't predict Bayonetta and Corrin. If we at least got Wolf it would take off some of the sting.
I saw the Mii costume as a solid deconfirmation as well. Man that really p****d me off at the time.

NineS

Smash Lord
This is Smashboards mate.
We're crazy at all hours.
I'm beginning to feel as if saying "Corrin" triggers as many people as the word "Box".

I don't know how I feel about this over a character that frankly isn't as bad as people make out to be. Not to say he/she is all that great either, but Corrin is here to stay until the next smash that is and there really isn't a point in complaining about something that's already happened.

Questioning their choices and thought process on the other hand is fine, but complaining about Corrin of all things now is like complaining about Ike having been put in Brawl.

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering Ultimate is adding the two biggest characters that were missing from Smash 4's roster... what does being mad about Fire Emblem solve now?

I prefer to not dwell on it. Corrin and Bayonetta may have been disappointing in December 2015, but a lot's changed in the last three years. (I'm also in a way better spot in my life than I was then, but that's neither here nor there).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering Ultimate is adding the two biggest characters that were missing from Smash 4's roster... what does being mad about Fire Emblem solve now?

I prefer to not dwell on it. Corrin and Bayonetta may have been disappointing in December 2015, but a lot's changed in the last three years. (I'm also in a way better spot in my life than I was then, but that's neither here nor there).
And hey, Bayonetta wasn't only hype for me... *cricket noises* ...right?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Salutations, friends, what's going on in this thread-

...I'll just come back in a couple weeks...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone complain about Fire Emblem having 7 Characters , yet no one realize that they're missing someone in the roster the whole time and that they have 8 actually.

7699160.jpg

NineS

Smash Lord
I'm honestly pretty happy Bayonetta is in for a high number of reasons.
The only thing I've got against her is how she turned out, but it seems like she might be fixed this time around, so people might stop hating her sometime after the game comes out in a similar vein to Meta Knight and Brawl over to Sm4sh.

StormC

Smash Hero
Bayonetta was very popular on Tumblr, I can tell you that, looking at my feed during her announcement. People were really excited about her there and other sites. She resonated more with that sort of crowd, people who don't obsess over design documents and comb over every interview of Sakurai's.

I don't mind her being in the game, but it was the circumstances that rubbed me the wrong way about it. So it was a weird feeling overall. I don't know what I expected... just not her, I guess. I felt very blindsighted by it all. I was also bitter that the only Nintendo newcomer at the time was Corrin. But Bayonetta is a cool character and now with Bayonetta 3, is more-or-less a Nintendo character now, so I have no problems with her.

I also had no idea at the time we would get the next Smash within literally 3 years. That definitely changed a lot.

Things are much better now. All veterans are back, K. Ridley are in, I got my life in order and went back to school... everything's coming up Milhouse.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
As a Corrin main, I do admit that he/she got in under... certain circumstances. I originally was against their inclusion because I was part of the "ugh another Fire Emblem character" mindset.

Did that stop me from playing the character though... No. I ended up buying Corrin because I found the concept of a half-human/half-dragon moveset interesting.

To this day Corrin is the only DLC character I've bought for Smash 4. They've convinced me to give Fire Emblem a try and, as of right now, Fire Emblem Heroes is my main Nintendo game.

Only playing characters you're familiar with kind of defeats the purpose of Smash. It's designed to bring all of these characters from gaming history together, some of which you may not like or know. Take that away however, and you lose a good portion of what makes Smash special.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Is it a sadistic or amusing type of enjoyment?
If so, I can see where you're coming from.
Speaking for myself, a lot of times I try to inhibit my more schadenfreudian impulses. But, sometimes I just can't help myself. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone! How's it-
*sees nuclear war over Fire Emblem*
...Goddamnit, what the hell happened this time?

Shroob

Sup?
No it wasn't. Stop this conspiracy nonsense already. She won the Ballot fair and square. Please get over it.
So explain why dataminers found a ZSS model in the DLC files.

She didn't win, there's no conspiracy here, we have the fact that they were using ZSS as a base for something in her slot.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

I'm having way too much fun ****posting to high heaven and watching the show

But can we please not have this thread nuked because a few of you can't debate without resorting to insults?

D

Deleted member

To help calm everyone down, here's Marina with an accordion:

This individual seems to be trying to get a rise out of people. Replying only gives 'em what they want. I'd reccomend agreeing to disagree and moving on, but that's just me.

StormC

Smash Hero
Corrin is honestly the only DLC character I regret buying, especially now with Ultimate. Not because of my opinion on the character and their inclusion... but because I played them maybe 5 times tops. I dunno, they just didn't click with me. I wish there was a way to demo DLC characters before buying them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm gonna do something I don't think anyone here has speculated about yet, the CastleVania songs. We have a full list, but what versions of the songs are they and could they be remixed? I found out Harmony of Despair actually remixed a significant amount of the themes present which explains most of the choices and in hindsight makes me glad we didn't get Crazed In a Luminous Mansion It's a large list so it goes in a spoiler tag
Vampire Killer - Judgement 's remix as heard in the Simon trailer
Vampire Killer (New Remix) - As the name says, it's new, and we can hear it when greeted by Sakurai in the direct and in Simon's website trailee
Starker/Wicked Child - Most likely remix of both of the original's songs
Out of Time - A new remix as we can hear during the Dracula's Castle segment in the Direct
Nothing To Lose - Re-used from Harmony of Despair as heard in the trailer and Dracula segment in the direct
Black Night - We BARELY hear a snippet of it before the Direct transitions to Alucard but I assume it's from The Arcade judging by the guitar
Bloody Tears/Monster Mash - New, as heard on the site
Dwelling of Doom - Likely a new remix
Cross Your Heart - Most likely a new remix, but may take notes (hehe) from the Portrait of Ruin version
Can't Wait Until Midnight - I believe this will be Harmony of Despair's Heart of Fire remix, the Aria of Sorrow boss fight against Julius Belmont uses a remix of both Can't Wait Until Midnight and Heart of Fire
Beginning - Likely a new remix
Mad Forest - Likely new
Aquarius - Possibly the Harmony of Despair remix (I'll start shortening it to HoD now)
Simon Belmont Theme - Either a new remix or HoD's
Simon Belmont Theme (The Arcade) - As the name suggests, from Castlevania The Arcade
Divine Bloodlines - As heard from Richter's segment of the trailer and his website video, a new remix
Slash - Likely HoD, though possibly the original considering Rondo of Blood's music quality
Dance of Illusions - Same as Slash, it got remixed in HoD but Rondo of Blood's music quality means we might get the original
Iron Blue Intentions - Likely a new remix
Dracula's Castle - I can't hear it well enough to tell, but it might be HoD's version as heard in the Alucard segment
Lost Painting - Likely the original considering the song's atmosphere and SotN being a PS1 game
The Tragic Prince - Same as Lost Painting
Awake - New remix as it's from Circle of the Moon, a GBA game
Ruined Castle Gallery - HoD includes this and just like Smash, it's the only original Aria of Sorrow song to get featured
Lament of Innocence - Original, it's a ps2 song
Jet Black Incursion - Likely HoD's albeit under a different name
Crash in the Dark Night - Likely HoD's but again under a slightly different name
Ripped Silence - Likely HoD's remix, but with a different name again
Hail to the Past - HoD's remix
Jail of Jewel - Most likely a brand new remix
Twilight Stigmata - Considering it's basically the same song as An Empty Tome, even in Order of Ecclesia version as the version used for the intro may have good quality but was specifically for the intro judging by it's shorter length, an ending that means a slight edit being necessary and the fact HoD remixed it
Jet Black Wings - HoD
Go! Getsu Fuma! - HoD
This means at least 13 remixes assuming the Harmony of Despair predictions are correct. It explains the music choices for the rest and it's popularity with the composers. Has any other franchise even gotten 13 or so remixes in a single game? CastleVania was explicitly said to be popular among the sound team and goddamn it shows

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I can definitely believe Bayonetta was top 5 in the US.

Top 1 in Europe is just genuinely very hard to believe. I guess it's possible... we don't know much about Europe polling. It's just one of those things like if you told me the sky was green, but I couldn't go out and look at the sky to confirm for myself, I would treat with heavy skepticism.

Part of me wonders if it would have been easier to pass off Cloud as the "ballot winner" even if Bayonetta objectively got more votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom