• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey guys, so do we actually know if the game has gone gold, or is it just a bunch of people assuming?
No, nothing concrete so far, but it's a safe assumption.

Smash is the perfect marketing platform for Nintendo - all our 'requests' that get in always lead for the character that got ins main game getting more sales.
Your fooling yourself if you think smash is going to only introduce 'old' characters that we request when their sales aren't going to benefit Nintendo at the current time.
And that's the cynical logic I absolutely despise.
There are only so many resources that you can use on a game, DLC or no, and using those resources for what amounts to advertising, fun character or not, is disgusting. Any other crossover game doing this **** would be burnt at the stake for how absolutely stupid that would be.

Yeah, sure :ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultrob: had their fans.

Everybody is free to have their own ideas about newcomers, but in the end, this is a fighting game, sometimes an interesting fighting style is all you need and not every fighter has to serve a higher purpose.

And hey guys, Mario fans don't matter, He'd get in anyway.
Yeah, Wii Fit did have her fans. And was one of the greatest selling games of all time.
Other than that, Retro reps are an entirely different can of worms, which would be an entirely different argument, but I'll leave it at you can't defend a bad business practice because another is worse.

As for the "interesting fighting style" shlock, you might as well just make endless Smash OCs because who cares? they're interesting. Nevermind the fact that nobody knows a thing about them or have ever gotten the chance to care about them.

And you and I both know that Mario **** is false equivalency.
Mario got in becaue he's a beloved character and has a fanbase. Corrin got in because he's promotion for the next game and they're trying to build him a fanbase. I really hate to say this, but Mario's love is warranted, but the Corrin's isn't. Feel free to believe that just because a character has an upcoming game, they're able to be in "the greatest gaming crossover of all time," but that logic doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the problem is:

The ballot was rigged from the start according to recent findings in datamining, and it was moreso made to gauge character interest for THIS game, not 4's.

The fact that Corrin was put in moreso for advertising, and Bayonetta "WON", while characters like K.Rool, which, we now know had a HUGE ballot presence due to Sakurai's own words, really left a bitter taste in people's mouths.

We're reaping the benefits of the ballot NOW, but back then, the entire ordeal didn't sit right with a lot of people.
Even then, Corrin and Bayonetta still had their fanbases and it's annoying when people act like they don't exist because of the circumstances surrounding their inclusion.

Polan

Smash Lord
They had nothing to judge the character off of with their own experience. Just images and youtube videos
and....? if people grow attached to a character just off images and youtube videos, that doesn't invalidate their support. like i'm pretty sure there's a good subset of geno fans that have never touched SMRPG once. or elma fans who have never touched XCX. and so on and so on. doesn't make their support less valid or legitimate.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"You can only support a character if you have adequate experience with said character in a video game."

gosh the gatekeeping is way too strong with this one
What? I can't have an opinion?

Sorry if it offends you. I don't care.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So I can't be interested in something unless I own it? I guess I can literally never play Lucas again, **** me.
That eliminates more than half the roster for me. Let's see, Mario, Link, Sonic... I got about 18 characters I can play. And no Ultimate newcomers outside of Daisy. :c

Shroob

Sup?
Even then, Corrin and Bayonetta still had their fanbases and it's annoying when people act like they don't exist because of the circumstances surrounding their inclusion.
They had their fanbases, but I think everyone was expecting a big BLOW OUT reveal like K.Rool to finish this off, a super fan requested and supported character.

Instead we got an advertisement and a character who broke the game, and now due to datamining we know they were already being worked on before the ballot was even a thing.

The entire thing was an illusion of choice.... for Smash 4. It's AMAZING now, but it was a sham for 4.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't tell if you're just inept at arguing or just fishing for reactions. Either way makes you look dumb, so I'm not going to continue entertaining this poor line of thought.
I don't even want to argue

I never intended to start an argument.

NineS

Smash Lord

It's less so of you having an offensive opinion, and more of you having an extremely controlling opinion that makes it seem as if nobody should like a character because of rules you've made up in your own mind.

Honestly, I tried my best to stay out of this discussion since it seems so petty and pointless.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Like I ****ing hate FE and am still bitter about Corrin's inclusion and bull**** moveset to this day, but to keep pulling these nonsensical arguments out of your ass isn't doing you any favors. Sakurai included Corrin because he's ****ing Sakurai and he does want he wants. Saying Corrin's (admittedly very small) support in the ballot was fake, and that you can only support a character you have experience with, is the apex of illogical.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean every character has someone who wanted them to be in Smash. Except :ultwiifittrainer:, I guess.

Bayonetta was definitely popular on Smash DLC discussion (moreso than I think a lot of people would like to admit), but I feel like I remember Corrin being discussed more for Smash 5 than being DLC for Smash 4.

Ironically the opposite of what happened to K. Rool.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's less so of you having an offensive opinion, and more of you having an extremely controlling opinion that makes it seem as if nobody should like a character because of rules you've made up in your own mind.

Honestly, I tried my best to stay out of this discussion since it seems so petty and pointless.
I don't think they do. I never said there is any rules to whether they do or not.

I just don't think they do

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm surprised people were still expecting K. Rool as DLC after the costume. I took it as a solid deconfirmation.

I didn't know what we were getting, but I sure as heck didn't predict Bayonetta and Corrin. If we at least got Wolf it would take off some of the sting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Like I ****ing hate FE and am still bitter about Corrin's inclusion and bull**** moveset to this day, but to keep pulling these nonsensical arguments out of your *** isn't doing you any favors. Sakurai included Corrin because he's ****ing Sakurai and he does want he wants. Saying Corrin's (admittedly very small) support in the ballot was fake, and that you can only support a character you have experience with, is the apex of illogical.

What the **** is your problem

NineS

Smash Lord
I had thought everyone already knew Corrin was mainly added due to high demand... From some of the other developers working with Sakurai for DLC.

He's stated himself he didn't really feel sure if he wanted to add another sword-wielding Fire Emblem character as he believed they were over-saturated at that point. It just so happened that they were also looking for a character from a game that had come out after Sm4sh, and lots of the devs working with Sakurai on DLC at the time happened to like Corrin and he gave in to peer pressure, while still trying to make Corrin a breath of fresh air by making him unique from all the other Fire Emblem Sword-wielders.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly I'm surprised people were still expecting K. Rool as DLC after the costume. I took it as a solid deconfirmation.

I didn't know what we were getting, but I sure as heck didn't predict Bayonetta and Corrin. If we at least got Wolf it would take off some of the sting.
I remember the logic at the time was "Well Mario has a Mii costume, guess Mario's deconfirmed. Having a Mii costume means nothing! If people vote, Sakurai will put them in the game!"

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
No, nothing concrete so far, but it's a safe assumption.

And that's the cynical logic I absolutely despise.
There are only so many resources that you can use on a game, DLC or no, and using those resources for what amounts to advertising, fun character or not, is disgusting. Any other crossover game doing this **** would be burnt at the stake for how absolutely stupid that would be.
How is that stupid? Nintendo is a business first and foremost.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I don't think they do. I never said there is any rules to whether they do or not.

I just don't think they do
You literally just tried to invalidate people liking Corrin because the game hadn't come to the West yet and insisted all the English support for the game was Japanese players in disguise trying to make the character more popular.

What even was that sentence I just had to write?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You literally just tried to invalidate people liking Corrin because the game hadn't come to the West yet and insisted all the English support for the game was Japanese players in disguise trying to make the character more popular.

What even was that sentence I just had to write?
So what is this about, you interpreting my comment as malicious?

It's just my opinion that the majority were bandwagoners. I don't even actually care if it's true

osby

Smash Obsessed
I had thought everyone already knew Corrin was mainly added due to high demand... From some of the other developers working with Sakurai for DLC.

He's stated himself he didn't really feel sure if he wanted to add another sword-wielding Fire Emblem character as he believed they were over-saturated at that point. It just so happened that they were also looking for a character from a game that had come out after Sm4sh, and lots of the devs working with Sakurai on DLC at the time happened to like Corrin and he gave in to peer pressure, while still trying to make Corrin a breath of fresh air by making him unique from all the other Fire Emblem Sword-wielders.
Nope, knowing that requires research. Just saying Sakurai loves Fire Emblem and wants to fill the roster with them is easier.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I remember the logic at the time was "Well Mario has a Mii costume, guess Mario's deconfirmed. Having a Mii costume means nothing! If people vote, Sakurai will put them in the game!"
Well I guess that logic was somewhat true... except they didn't put them in Smash 4.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
State of the thread

What the **** is your problem

Got no problem with you. I do have a problem with your utterly mularkey revisionist bull****.

Just stop while you're ahead. Actually, you're not ahead. You're behind. Way behind. So stop before you dig your hole even deeper.

Mixing metaphors FTW

osby

Smash Obsessed
So what is this about, you interpreting my comment as malicious?

It's just my opinion that the majority were bandwagoners. I don't even actually care if it's true
You can't just make accusations about people and say "it's just my opinion". And if you don't even care if it's true or not, why do you have a problem with people saying it's wrong?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
And then there's characters that character nobody even KNOWS about. Whose """fans""" can't even point to a single reason they want other than "uhhh they look cool."
No offense, but Geno was the first character that popped into my mind when I saw this description. Of course, Geno is popular and well-known among the Smash fandom, and has been for many years, so that's different. But outside of Smash, you can't tell me many people know about Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You can't just make accusations about people and say "it's just my opinion". And if you don't even care if it's true or not, why do you have a problem with people saying it's wrong?
I don't have a problem with people saying it's wrong. I have a problem with people ganging up and attacking me

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't want to diss Geno (because I feel like I keep doing so when I actually would be Happy with him, he's cool...) But that line of reasoning is why I believe his Mii costume means nothing for Ultimate as a whole. And that Characters that got in as Fighters were most of the times Characters easy to speculate- like K.Rool/Isabelle and Inkling-

Mii costumes means nothing. Splash screen or not. It doesn't increase a character chance. It just means that Sakurai was like "Oh **** We couldn't make/don't want to make that Characters a playable fighter. Let's just give a Mii costume so fans have something close to that!"

Geno have high ****ing chance, but the Mii costume isn't anything that boost that chance as Licencing wouldn't be the same anyway

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
FE is a little overpopulated on the roster, and Corrin's inclusion was obviously promotional, yet I bet the world will somehow keep spinning tomorrow.

NineS

Smash Lord
I don't have a problem with people saying it's wrong. I have a problem with people ganging up and attacking me
We're not attacking you. We have nothing personal against you. We simply highly disagree with your opinion in this situation.

If you feel people are "ganging up" on you, then maybe it's best to try to take a third person perspective on this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom